Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:06:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916364 times)
parseval

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 11:46:16 PM

I think someone just cashed out from btc-tc and moved part of their investment on bitfunder where prices were 0.1btc lower until some hours ago.

I think there's someone who wants to keep the stock price under control and not let the new surge of investors throw the price into a parabolic, crashing it and inciting panic. I wonder who this person could be Wink

Red bars, trying to balance the incline.
Green bars, people getting crazy (and all in between).

When there's not much demand it kind of just idle's as people hold their shares for the next incline. There's very little on either side trying to trade this, just holders and occasional sell offs to keep it balanced. For going long it's an investor dream.

Cool, someone found my charts useful Smiley   I like what you did with the bars.

Coinflow.co: Charts for BTC-TC, LTC-Global, Bitfunder, Havelock, and MPEx
tip address:  1EmZRimseBWhf5DuSisuhPTRtzejruHp3z

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:47:43 PM

I think someone just cashed out from btc-tc and moved part of their investment on bitfunder where prices were 0.1btc lower until some hours ago.

I think there's someone who wants to keep the stock price under control and not let the new surge of investors throw the price into a parabolic, crashing it and inciting panic. I wonder who this person could be Wink

Red bars, trying to balance the incline.
Green bars, people getting crazy (and all in between).

When there's not much demand it kind of just idle's as people hold their shares for the next incline. There's very little on either side trying to trade this, just holders and occasional sell offs to keep it balanced. For going long it's an investor dream.

Cool, someone found my charts useful Smiley   I like what you did with the bars.

Your site/signature needs a tip address Wink
miTgiB

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

Du hast

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:58:14 PM

What you did isn't a hedge, it's selling one thing to buy something else that is less valuable. Where's the hedge aspect?

Basically, I made a profit by selling some of my ASICMINER shares high (I think, time will tell), while I bought them much lower. And I still hold 75%.

That profit is for sure. Now I speculate that the BASIC-MINING stock price will rise when AVALON batch #2, then #3 ships. On the other hand, I think that there are chances that ASICMINER shares stock price goes lower than the current price (that what I call a small risk => hedge the risk). All in all, I hope to maximize my profits by doing so, while minimizing my risk if something very bad were to happen to ASICMINER

It's unlikely, and I hope not, as 3/4 of my assets are in ASICMINER. But now I have at least 1/4 invested elsewhere. Do you get my point? I'm not telling it the best strategy, I just sharing my thoughts... and holding 100% is perfectly OK, not saying the contrary.

This isn't a hedge at all, but diversifying after a large run up.  This happens to be a popular topic currently at The Motley Fool in the 3D, Tesla and Netflix forums, and here was a post someone there pointed out. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/02/01/the-greatest-secret-of-all.aspx

Now I hold ASICMINER and bASIC-MINNING as well as MININGCO.ETF to spread my exposure out, but I have no plans of selling anything, my ASICMINER shares are only up about 200%, so far from what many others have in gains.  Anyway, you have a couple of possible outcomes, you took some money off the table and put that to work in something else, for you to actually be right, not only does bASIC-MINNING have to rise, but it has to rise faster than ACISMINER, which you feel is going to pull back, only time will tell, but betting against momentum is not a good bet.
parseval

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:03:53 AM

Good idea!  I've done that.

ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:09:46 AM

Tip sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/40ed33fe25445d782c3ad34e258ce5e6dde218c1129e1dec4ccdf4d33dd54b55

A fitting post for me achieving "Hero" status! 500 posts Smiley
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:11:42 AM

Good idea!  I've done that.

Tip sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/40ed33fe25445d782c3ad34e258ce5e6dde218c1129e1dec4ccdf4d33dd54b55

Gz on 500 just eating through these posts here Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
parseval

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:13:39 AM

Thanks!  And congratulations on the Hero status.

vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:20:04 AM

Mabrook! For what I am reading of you, you absolutely deserve it.

The concept of course is completely bs. I will not call names but some "Hero" posters here (especially in this thread) are a joke.
Aureum_Coffee

Activity: 130

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:58:23 AM

I think ASICMINER is the greatest Bitcoin investment at the moment, but I also think that the prices are too high right now to invest more than a couple of shares with some risk.

About hedging, shareholders can do it on their own with other ASIC companies. I sold about 1/4 of my shares very high yesterday to hedge the risk and buy BASIC-MINING shares with the proceeds. They have an AVALON batch 2 pending delivery and another batch 3 order on the way so I think if you are looking of another mining security with a good potential, that is not overvalued right now, it is worth making it some % of your portofolio on btct.co. And there are others, too.

Anyway, it's really nice to see that stock price above 2, and I will hold most of my shares for sure. I just wouldn't buy more at the current price. But I wouldn't call you silly if you did Wink

Agree with hedging.  To build on what you said, here is another one of many ways of hedging.  That is to write covered calls at BTC-TC.  A covered call will reduce your purchase cost, therefore reducing your capital at risk.  Hedging partially.

Another way of hedging is to figure out ASICminer stock beta, and purchase a security that has a beta value completely opposite of ASICminer share.  Suppose ASICminer share has beta of 1 in relation to BTC/USD, then purchase a security of -1 will complete the hedging.

Hedging is done when you achieve a beta neutral status or a net beta equals zero in regards to a basket of securities.  With beta neutral, the only way *not* to profit is having a static market.  A static market is no shares changed hands and no share price movement.  Static market is impossible given BTC's volatility.
Caesium

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:01:22 AM

The concept of course is completely bs. I will not call names but some "Hero" posters here (especially in this thread) are a joke.

Sheesh, it's only an automatically assigned title based on number of posts. If it was renamed to "OAP Member" to be more in fitting with the previous titles (Jr, Sr) would that make you feel better? Get over it Tongue

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
stslimited

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:02:12 AM

I want ASICMiner to hedge their production buy selling futures contracts against the bitcoin-fiat exchange rate.

Can a futures market be established in china or hong kong?

A good idea to bring in more options and financial products to table.

There is serious risk, however, with futures contracts.

With futures contracts, one can create derivatives, and then create credit default swaps.  These are very potent and powerful tools to manipulate Bitcoin values to fiat currency rate.  We can't ever escape the fact we have to exchange Bitcoin to fiat currency to pay for electricity, product shipping, airplane tickets for bitcoin conference, etc.

Futures contracts allow leverage, and allow relatively few people to manipulate quantifiable "things".  The ASICminer share price is quantified with numbers.  BTC/USD exchange rate is quantified with number.  

Futures plus thinly traded market equals easy manipulation.

all I read was powerful, potent and leverage. What was your concern exactly?
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:11:40 AM

Sheesh, it's only an automatically assigned title based on number of posts. If it was renamed to "OAP Member" to be more in fitting with the previous titles (Jr, Sr) would that make you feel better? Get over it Tongue

OAP? obscense average posts? *smirk*

how about "member needs a life?"

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:13:09 AM

I want ASICMiner to hedge their production buy selling futures contracts against the bitcoin-fiat exchange rate.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but perhaps you haven't explained your concern adequately.  Smiley

When their markup on product is so high, and the likely direction of the exchange rate long-term is positive, what would this achieve?

I think if the exchange rate of btc:usd tumbled all that would happen is AM would sell loads more hardware as it would be a no-brainer for the GPU crowd to switch. They might even jack the prices up a bit more.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
helixone

Activity: 131

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:31:01 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2013, 02:37:02 AM by helixone

I'm not saying you're wrong, but perhaps you haven't explained your concern adequately.  Smiley

When their markup on product is so high, and the likely direction of the exchange rate long-term is positive, what would this achieve?

I think if the exchange rate of btc:usd tumbled all that would happen is AM would sell loads more hardware as it would be a no-brainer for the GPU crowd to switch. They might even jack the prices up a bit more.

I'll also add that since AM doesn't actually hold any spare BTC other than what they need to sell for operations, nor are they engaged in the practice of trading/selling btc, but rather distribute the vast majority of the mined coins directly to their shareholders, that realistically, they have nothing to hedge.

If shareholders in AM want to hedge against the value of their future earnings dropping, they are free to do so, but as it stands, the attractiveness of an investment in AM is in a pure play btc asset.

If you want an asset that tends to move inversely to the direction of usd/btc, take a look at something like sdice.

I'll also add for those claiming that spreading your money around in different mining stocks is hedging, it isn't. That's called diversification within a sector, and provides no hedging whatsoever.

-helixone
Cozzie

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:54:08 AM

About the argument of dividend payments, our view is that we will distribute the net income after necessary costs are excluded and funds for foreseeable future (expansion, gen-2 chips) are reserved. Bitcoin is already an investment itself having a great potential. Any investment, no matter how profitable, based on "turning Bitcoins to fiat first" requires double consideration. We can invest the RMBs to bonds and they are almost bound to be more profitable than just holding the RMBs, but we can never say the same to Bitcoins.

Would someone reword/explain to me what did he mean? I am slightly lost at the issue and his explanation.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:01:03 AM

About the argument of dividend payments, our view is that we will distribute the net income after necessary costs are excluded and funds for foreseeable future (expansion, gen-2 chips) are reserved. Bitcoin is already an investment itself having a great potential. Any investment, no matter how profitable, based on "turning Bitcoins to fiat first" requires double consideration. We can invest the RMBs to bonds and they are almost bound to be more profitable than just holding the RMBs, but we can never say the same to Bitcoins.

Would someone reword/explain to me what did he mean? I am slightly lost at the issue and his explanation.

It means AM are long on Bitcoin. Whatever BTC they can't reinvest themselves they will return to shareholders as dividends. They see any other course of action as lowering returns.

If shareholders want to go long as well they can reinvest dividends. If they want hedging or diversification they can do that too. AM won't tell you what to do.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:48:50 AM

I think ASICMINER is the greatest Bitcoin investment at the moment, but I also think that the prices are too high right now to invest more than a couple of shares with some risk.

About hedging, shareholders can do it on their own with other ASIC companies. I sold about 1/4 of my shares very high yesterday to hedge the risk and buy BASIC-MINING shares with the proceeds. They have an AVALON batch 2 pending delivery and another batch 3 order on the way so I think if you are looking of another mining security with a good potential, that is not overvalued right now, it is worth making it some % of your portofolio on btct.co. And there are others, too.

Anyway, it's really nice to see that stock price above 2, and I will hold most of my shares for sure. I just wouldn't buy more at the current price. But I wouldn't call you silly if you did Wink

Agree with hedging.  To build on what you said, here is another one of many ways of hedging.  That is to write covered calls at BTC-TC.  A covered call will reduce your purchase cost, therefore reducing your capital at risk.  Hedging partially.

Another way of hedging is to figure out ASICminer stock beta, and purchase a security that has a beta value completely opposite of ASICminer share.  Suppose ASICminer share has beta of 1 in relation to BTC/USD, then purchase a security of -1 will complete the hedging.

Hedging is done when you achieve a beta neutral status or a net beta equals zero in regards to a basket of securities.  With beta neutral, the only way *not* to profit is having a static market.  A static market is no shares changed hands and no share price movement.  Static market is impossible given BTC's volatility.

"Diversification is a protection for ignorance, It makes very little sense for those who know what they're doing." - Warren Buffet

You are hedging by selling shares in an immensely profitable company, that is light years ahead of its competition. For shares in a company that have  no significant asic hardware yet, with a risk profile 10X higher than AM, and P/E 10 times lower than AM?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Mausini

Activity: 177

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:09:50 AM

"Diversification is a protection for ignorance, It makes very little sense for those who know what they're doing." - Warren Buffet

You are hedging by selling shares in an immensely profitable company, that is light years ahead of its competition. For shares in a company that have  no significant asic hardware yet, with a risk profile 10X higher than AM, and P/E 10 times lower than AM?

Exactly. You would need complementary securities to diversify. Current reality is, there is none. Try putting your BTC in these other mining bonds or whatever. You could either just invest them in lollipops.
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:14:31 AM

Exactly. You would need complementary securities to diversify. Current reality is, there is none. Try putting your BTC in these other mining bonds or whatever. You could either just invest them in lollipops.

vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:36:31 AM

Dear friedcat,

I do appreciate all your work but please answer the following:

Where are we hashing and at what rate atm? If solo, please explain what is going on.

How are the future deployment plans progressing? You promised a lot per week. What is going on, please?

How many Blades were sold? How many USB thingies were sold?

Why are your "updates" not answering questions everybody would like to be answered (no rocket science)?

You are running a billion company that a lot of people are trusting in (incl. myself).

Where are the financial statements you had promised??

At this scale you HAVE TO provide financial data or people will jump off.

I really do not understand how you think a two-liner is sufficient as a weekly update.

Also I do not understand how other shareholders shut up all the time, and do not ask for more.

I myself have a considerable amount invested in ASICMINER. If this attitude of ASICMINER continues, I will sell it all off.

vortex1878

Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: