Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:36:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Butterfly Labs CEO 25 Million USD Mail Fraud — A Concise Summary of Evidence  (Read 146787 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:15:58 PM

Quote from: Butterfly Labs @ http://www.butterflylabs.com/faq/
Can I get a refund on my pre-order?...
According to Inaba, people got refunded.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1210787#msg1210787

Anyone who got refunds please post your experiences.

thanks

It would be relatively straightforward to have a handful of sock puppets come forward with comforting stories about how their refunds went.  Probably more meaningful would be to hear from people who either didn't get their refund, or had experiences one way or another in getting a charge-back from PayPal.

Of course BFL's competition could scare up a battalion of sock puppets to damage BFL also but this seems to me less likely, particularly if they are trying to leverage pre-order funding themselves or generally wish for calm weather in mining-gear-vendor-land.

Lastly, IFF this is a long con scam then there is some value in issuing trouble-free refunds at this juncture but it might be difficult to pre-judge how much to 'invest' along these lines in order to maximize the return.  Certainly the first requests have the best chance of being acted upon.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:14:51 PM

Quote from: Butterfly Labs @ http://www.butterflylabs.com/faq/
Can I get a refund on my pre-order?...
According to Inaba, people got refunded.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.msg1210787#msg1210787

Anyone who got refunds please post your experiences.

thanks

It would be relatively straightforward to have a handful of sock puppets come forward with comforting stories about how their refunds went.  Probably more meaningful would be to hear from people who either didn't get their refund, or had experiences one way or another in getting a charge-back from PayPal.

Of course BFL's competition could scare up a battalion of sock puppets to damage BFL also but this seems to me less likely, particularly if they are trying to leverage pre-order funding themselves or generally wish for calm weather in mining-gear-vendor-land.

Lastly, IFF this is a long con scam then there is some value in issuing trouble-free refunds at this juncture but it might be difficult to pre-judge how much to 'invest' along these lines in order to maximize the return.  Certainly the first requests have the best chance of being acted upon.

Common sense in my BFL thread? I am amazed, sir!
This, yes, this.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 01:11:41 PM

Btw if anyone had 1 early preorder that they're concerned about receiving but also worried about getting a refund for, you could always sell it to me Cheesy Send me a PM!
evanesce

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:05:44 PM

Received refund this morning. Good luck suckers lol

The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:42:51 PM

Transaction ID?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 04:35:52 PM

Transaction ID?

Cute. BFL does not deal in Bitcoins.
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:20:00 PM

Transaction ID?

They do pretend to though and isn't that what's really important? lol.  They claimed early pre-orders were going to be in BTC only in order to help support the network but in reality, they just used bitpay or whatever it's called lol.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:14:24 PM

Good Luck to you also sir...

...just don't expect anyone to care when you're whining about long your wait is after BFL ships before the end of year.

The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:48:37 PM

Transaction ID?

Makes sense, no sane company would at the moment.
But since there's no proof, I'll file that one away in the bogus-folder.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:53:08 PM

They do pretend to though and isn't that what's really important? lol.  They claimed early pre-orders were going to be in BTC only in order to help support the network but in reality, they just used bitpay or whatever it's called lol.

Yay for bit(-)pay.  Their processing is getting better and better, possibly funded by you, the buyers.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:11:02 PM

Electronic Frontier Foundation.  As for Sonny K, hopefully BFL_Sonny will address that when he posts.  As I understand it, he will be working on a response this weekend.
How's that response coming along? Can we expect to see it in 4-6 weeks?

Buy & Hold
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:51:19 AM

Electronic Frontier Foundation.  As for Sonny K, hopefully BFL_Sonny will address that when he posts.  As I understand it, he will be working on a response this weekend.
How's that response coming along? Can we expect to see it in 4-6 weeks?
The response was supposed to be coming in october but it's been pushed back  Wink
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 12:36:36 AM

That was *NOT* a concise summary of evidence, but thanks OP, I was just about to trigger a pre-order and now don't feel comfortable.

Please don't tell me there's a thread like this about BTCFPGA/cablepair. Huh

KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:39:20 PM

From the BFL website.

Can I get a refund on my pre-order?
Butterfly Labs, INC. is accepting pre-orders for ASIC based products, expected to begin shipping in late October or early November 2012. Your pre-order with payment confirms your place in line for delivery once we begin shipping. Payments made for pre-orders of ASIC based products now under development should be considered non-refundable until products begin shipping or 1 January 2013, whichever is earlier.

So the "products" may not ship until January 2013? Man, if they loan that money out on 3-6% loans that would be very profitable if they didn't have to invest in themselves. Now presuming they have to invest to themselves that company seems to be a very dangerous company to invest your money into. I suggest that you do not give them more than $1000 because that money will be locked into them for a loooong time. Simply investing in bitcoin and then buying from a competitor with bitcoin might be far more profitable. Of course I believe that mining shouldn't be for profit only... This applies to all of those ROI people. Off Topic Warning! If you have extra money to invest buy silver, 3 years down the road (that's about when your investment in silver would mature) you can make a good 30% extra from what you invested in buying physical silver. At that point you can either liquidate your assets and maybe get a house or car or boat or food or whatever really. Say you invest BTC10,000 Today, in 3 years you may have (and mind you I said may and not will) BTC13,000. 

Now back on topic. It is up to you whether you can trust a team consisting of 22 people with one known scammer among them with your money. If you're looking with something with a good ROI you have to work with more responsive people than BFL. If you're looking for the next in mining gear and they deliver then this might be good for the Bitcoin Network.

Something else you have to know about pre-ordering. Due to inflation, the money that you have given for your product, will not, in any condition be the same money if refunded 1-month later, that is excluding opportunity costs, with today's money, you could buy more of tomorrow's money. With all of those pre-orders you better hope that BFL doesn't use that money to speculate on the market or follow its own agenda to fund anything they like. 

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:21:54 AM

That was *NOT* a concise summary of evidence, but thanks OP, I was just about to trigger a pre-order and now don't feel comfortable.

Please don't tell me there's a thread like this about BTCFPGA/cablepair. Huh

No, absolutely not. BTCPFGA/Cablepair/Tom i known to be transparent and successful with its products sold in the past. i suggest to preorder at btcfpga like i already did Smiley

Hai
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:40:35 AM

Not giving the opportunity for a refund to a customer when shipment has been delayed is against some FTC rule:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/alt051-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:21:41 AM

Not giving the opportunity for a refund to a customer when shipment has been delayed is against some FTC rule:

Quoted for the benefit of the lazy:

Selling on the Internet: Prompt Delivery Rules

[...]

By law, you must have a reasonable basis for stating that a product can be shipped within a certain time. If your advertising doesn't clearly and prominently state the shipment period, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days.

If you can't ship within the promised time (or within 30 days if you made no promise), you must notify the customer of the delay, provide a revised shipment date and explain his right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund.

For definite delays of up to 30 days, you may treat the customer's silence as agreeing to the delay. But for longer or indefinite delays - and second and subsequent delays - you must get the customer's written, electronic or verbal consent to the delay. If the customer doesn't give you his okay, you must promptly refund all the money the customer paid you without being asked by the customer.

Finally, you have the right to cancel orders that you can't fill in a timely manner, but you must promptly notify the customer of your decision and make a prompt refund.

[...]
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:53:06 PM

Think I will add this information to what my attorney general has already got..... He did refund my money but it was only cause I got the Gov involved.

This is what has happend, BFL sold pre-orders to fund the building of asics. They had zero to no work done on them till pre-orders came in and funded them. If people wanted to do that they could have just invested with the person who said he was going to do that on the GLSBE. You will get you ASIC, but BFL is a shady company with very very shady practices. The way they went about this was all wrong and I suspect some what illegal, maybe someone should look into it.

This is just what I have gathered from it so far, just step back and look at the situation...
If I am wrong BFL please post figures to show what money did what. My guess is pre-order money built your line of ASIC's 85% of the way, and without pre-orders you would still be making FPGA's all day.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 04:03:36 PM

No, absolutely not. BTCPFGA/Cablepair/Tom i known to be transparent and successful with its products sold in the past. i suggest to preorder at btcfpga like i already did Smiley

Transparent huh?  Why don't you ask him about his power usage.  See how transparent he is.

Think I will add this information to what my attorney general has already got..... He did refund my money but it was only cause I got the Gov involved.

This is what has happend, BFL sold pre-orders to fund the building of asics. They had zero to no work done on them till pre-orders came in and funded them. If people wanted to do that they could have just invested with the person who said he was going to do that on the GLSBE. You will get you ASIC, but BFL is a shady company with very very shady practices. The way they went about this was all wrong and I suspect some what illegal, maybe someone should look into it.

This is just what I have gathered from it so far, just step back and look at the situation...
If I am wrong BFL please post figures to show what money did what. My guess is pre-order money built your line of ASIC's 85% of the way, and without pre-orders you would still be making FPGA's all day.

You, sir, are a LI-AHHH!  Please provide proof you requested a refund prior to contacting the AG... oh you can't, because you never did, otherwise we would have refunded you.  We've never refused a refund to anyone who's asked for it.  

You are also lying about BFL selling pre-orders to fund the building of ASICs.  BFL is only shady when you make up stories about things that didn't happen.  But then again, any company can be shady when you don't have to use the truth in your description.  Good job though on your fabrication, I'm sure someone, somewhere might believe you.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:31:38 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2012, 09:21:46 PM by niko

To sum it all up, this is how I see it:
  • BFL refuses to answer customers' concerns (the "town hall" thread)
  • their owner/executive was convicted of serious crime involving scams, and is now collecting funds in violation of his parole
  • they are illegally collecting investments for the development of a product under the pretense of "pre-orders"
  • that same BFL has delivered FPGAs before
  • people now have several other competitors to choose from
  • BFL has hired an incompetent person as a representative, who acts unprofessionally, offends customers in public, derails threads, and generally does damage to the company's PR
I will not be ordering from BFL, but I can see how some people would. Everyone should just decide and shut up. Everything has already been said.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: