Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:34:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario  (Read 198636 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:39:31 PM

I am glad that I am uninvolved with 99.99% of bitcoin businesses at this point, including the GLBSE. I now have the hindsight that they are ways to lose bitcoin rather than gain bitcoin.
+1

Same for me  Smiley

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:40:39 PM

Do you really believe these govt thugs are going to leave the truly innocent parties (such as myself) alone once they have their data?  I don't.
If you are innocent then there is no crime to investigate. What do you believe they are going to come after you for?

Who knows?  They don't understand what they're dealing with (bitcoin), and may well make up whatever bullshit charge(s) they feel like, and there will be little I can do about it.

Would you feel comfortable handing your data over in this situation?  I don't.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:41:45 PM

Pirate asks for AML info before he'll give the money up. Never gives the money up.
Nefario asks for AML info before he'll give the money up. (predictable result goes here)
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

Its not bitcoin thats on trial here. Its unregulated securities. And trading those for bitcoin will have about as much chance in court as trading guns or heroin for bitcoin. Good luck with your "the law doesnt understand bitcoin" defense.

My point is that as time progresses, we'll have other tools to trade what we want with less worry from interference by those that think themselves fit to exercise power over others. As stated earlier, power is about projection and domination. We're entering a time and place where the usual infringers of rights won't have the ability to project and dominate as they once did. That's one of the reasons this protocol exists.
Aahz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:43:46 PM

They've got the power.

Not when it comes to this particular protocol. They can go after the random trader, but it won't make much difference.

This has NOTHING to do with "shutting down bitcoin" or "going after the protocol".  

It has to do with them (presumably at the moment) being the ones behind GLBSE's closure.  That's not "the random trader", but hundreds (thousands?) of people and businesses being effected in a fairly major way (for many).
Severian

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:45:13 PM

As a prosecutor or investigator, I would LOVE bitcoin.  

Most prosecutors are politicians and thus aren't smart enough to understand Bitcoin.
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:45:46 PM

They've got the power.

Not when it comes to this particular protocol. They can go after the random trader, but it won't make much difference.

This has NOTHING to do with "shutting down bitcoin" or "going after the protocol".  

It has to do with them (presumably at the moment) being the ones behind GLBSE's closure.  That's not "the random trader", but hundreds (thousands?) of people and businesses being effected in a fairly major way (for many).

Once again the weaknesses of centralization are demonstrated.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:50:20 PM

Well luckily their power is far from absolute outside of the the US of A Smiley

FATF has 34 member nations which have agreed to adopt its 40+9 AML/CTF recommendations.  There are also regional bodies which address AML/CTF issues, memorandums of understanding between nations, and provisions which get snuck into trade agreements without anyone noticing (the US is notorious for doing this as a means of getting other nations to adopt its IP laws without actually passing unpopular legislation to do so).

Financial services are even more tightly regulated in some other places than they are in the US, so people really,really need to be aware of their local laws instead of just assuming "I'm fine because I'm not in the US".

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Severian

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:52:44 PM

In the eyes of those born to regulate, it probably does.

Not directed at you per se, but why am I not seeing more support for the guy that's supposedly getting fucked by a government, one of Bitcoin's own?
Severian

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:53:43 PM

You are a special kind of stupid.  You're not a shut-in by choice, are you?  You just can't remember the order and places to put shoes, socks, pants, underwear, shirt, and buttplug.

If you can't have a conversation without refraining from ad hominem, *plonk!*

See ya.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 10:55:17 PM

Quote from: GLBSE
... You will be able to get back your bitcoin, and if you want to reveal your username, email, and a bitcoin address to accept payments with, you can continue your relationship with the issuer of any assets you hold....

What is there to understand ?  What has providing a bitcoin address anything to do with owning an asset ?
How are usernames and email proof of ownership while 2FA was enabled ?

It took him this long to announce something this inconsistent ?
Aahz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:01:50 PM

In the eyes of those born to regulate, it probably does.

Not directed at you per se, but why am I not seeing more support for the guy that's supposedly getting fucked by a government, one of Bitcoin's own?

I understand it wasn't necessarily directed at me (and appreciate you pointing that out Smiley ) but I'll answer anyway....

My guess would be because there's no actual evidence of any kind that this is the reason behind the closure.  Nef hasn't posted here in over a week, and the post on the site gives no reason behind the move whatsoever.  The whole "the govt made him do it" is essentially conjecture at this point, and given all the shenanigans surrounding GLBSE (on the part of various "owners thereof") in the last month and the other high level forfeitures of late, people aren't exactly in a mood to sympathize with someone who acted in a way that harmed them (or their friends amongst "bitcoin's own") without explanation, presence, or remedy to those who have been harmed.
k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:03:42 PM

Do you really believe these govt thugs are going to leave the truly innocent parties (such as myself) alone once they have their data?  I don't.
If you are innocent then there is no crime to investigate. What do you believe they are going to come after you for?

Who knows?  They don't understand what they're dealing with (bitcoin), and may well make up whatever bullshit charge(s) they feel like, and there will be little I can do about it.

Bicoin is not that difficult to understand but I can understand your fears about the irrationality of some policy enforcers. I personally dont have these fears and will give my id if necessary. if they did lean on nefario and they have access to the db and to the server logs they wont have much problem tracking me through my mail account.

Any way as far as we know this is scenarios are not happening. people are just imagining and exagerating stuff and none of the people who really know what is happening are willing to tell it straight.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 11:08:17 PM

Bicoin is not that difficult to understand but I can understand your fears about the irrationality of some policy enforcers. I personally dont have these fears and will give my id if necessary. if they did lean on nefario and they have access to the db and to the server logs they wont have much problem tracking me through my mail account.

Any way as far as we know this is scenarios are not happening. people are just imagining and exagerating stuff and none of the people who really know what is happening are willing to tell it straight.

From what I understood any AML regulations information and data taken will only be provided to the government/police if he is required to do so.  Implying the authority's are not necessarily asking for such information at this point or at least not for everyone.   

Severian

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:12:07 PM

The whole "the govt made him do it" is essentially conjecture at this point...

The story does look kind of like a fig leaf, eh? Smiley
k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:16:39 PM

My guess would be because there's no actual evidence of any kind that this is the reason behind the closure.  Nef hasn't posted here in over a week, and the post on the site gives no reason behind the move whatsoever.  The whole "the govt made him do it" is essentially conjecture at this point, and given all the shenanigans surrounding GLBSE (on the part of various "owners thereof") in the last month and the other high level forfeitures of late, people aren't exactly in a mood to sympathize with someone who acted in a way that harmed them (or their friends amongst "bitcoin's own") without explanation, presence, or remedy to those who have been harmed.

Exaclty and the people who really know and can shed some light on what is happening are not saying, saying very little or making vague and misleading comments that are simply feeding the FUD.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:23:59 PM

And that FUD is having no impact on the market right now too. /sarcasm

It surprises me that Nefario has any supporters in these threads at this point, even ignoring accusations made by theymos it is obvious that he no longer has the interests of his customers/investors/friends at heart. And that would only lead me to believe he has purchased his support or has leverage on them (probably monetary). Just sayin.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:41:02 PM

Theymos, can you tell us whether you control the ~675 BTC currently in GBLSE address 1FX22c76vybHJSJdCCjKHDHhcMDhDX87nw, or if Nefario does (or none of the above)?

I am seeing conflicting information.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 11:50:04 PM

Quote from: GLBSE
... You will be able to get back your bitcoin, and if you want to reveal your username, email, and a bitcoin address to accept payments with, you can continue your relationship with the issuer of any assets you hold....

What is there to understand ?  What has providing a bitcoin address anything to do with owning an asset ?
How are usernames and email proof of ownership while 2FA was enabled ?

It took him this long to announce something this inconsistent ?

Inconsistent? What do you mean? Email and a bitcoin address of your choice is the minimum requirement to get your btc and your assets back. The username makes it only a little more sure that you really are the right person. And he can name you.
So with the email you can proof that you are the legit owner of an account because you can click a verifylink or something.

I dont see whats wrong here? I mean there isnt even written that you need a copy of id. So it looks like he will give out the btc and the asset details after you proved youre the owner of the email you are registered at glbse.

Whats wrong with that?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 12:15:06 AM

And that FUD is having no impact on the market right now too. /sarcasm

It surprises me that Nefario has any supporters in these threads at this point, even ignoring accusations made by theymos it is obvious that he no longer has the interests of his customers/investors/friends at heart. And that would only lead me to believe he has purchased his support or has leverage on them (probably monetary). Just sayin.

Yet more FUD  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: