Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:09:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario  (Read 198632 times)
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 04:19:11 PM

Imagine how painful it would have been to use over Tor.

not necessarily, once the onion circuit is in place the traffic is not that much slower.

Besides, they are different problems. The server side would be relieved of the requests, especially bot traffic, and would respond faster. Actually it could have made GLBSE faster, though that's only because it was ridiculously slow.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 05:23:50 AM

More lists coming out tomorrow
by James McCarthy
I'll be sending out updated lists by tomorrow afternoon.

Ther will also be some new lists sent out for some issuers.

Got a lot of email over the weekend, if I've not replied please bear with me, I'm a bit snowed under.

http://blog.glbse.com/more-lists-coming-out-tomorrow

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
fido

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

I've got his families home address. Should this be released?

Can I guess? Please! Please let me guess. I want to guess so badly. Thanks! Here's my guess (in bold--ask for Frances):

Registrant's address:
644 Antrim Road
Belfast
Co. Antrim
BT15 5GP
United Kingdom
Wow. This rabbit hole goes far deeper than I think any of us would've previously thought. Nefario not only operates GLBSE, but a scrap metal company, education and library board, bridal store, property development firm, and nail salon!

...  Tongue

Why is nefario connected with all these other businesses?  Do we even know his real name?   This is starting to look really shady.  Do we even know his name is actually James McCarthy?

This is from the litecoinforums...

Nefario registered bitcoinglobal.com back in late December 2010 !

bitcoinglobal.com

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: BITCOINGLOBAL.COM
      Created on: 28-Dec-10
      Expires on: 28-Dec-12
      Last Updated on: 08-Jan-12

Registrant:
   James McCarthy
   Whiterock Cottage
   Hacketstown, Carlow C01
   Ireland

Administrative Contact:
      McCarthy, James  doctor.nefario@gmail.com
      Whiterock Cottage
      Hacketstown, Carlow C01
      Ireland
      +353.0863702317
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:24:15 AM

bitcoinglobal.com

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: BITCOINGLOBAL.COM
      Created on: 28-Dec-10
      Expires on: 28-Dec-12
      Last Updated on: 08-Jan-12

Registrant:
   James McCarthy
   Whiterock Cottage
   Hacketstown, Carlow C01
   Ireland

Administrative Contact:
      McCarthy, James  doctor.nefario@gmail.com
      Whiterock Cottage
      Hacketstown, Carlow C01
      Ireland
      +353.0863702317

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Why is nefario connected with all these other businesses?  Do we even know his real name?   This is starting to look really shady.  Do we even know his name is actually James McCarthy?

Bitcoin Global is the name of the organization that ran GLBSE. Of course his name is James McCarthy. Do you have any evidence to the contrary, or you just trying to stir up wild speculation?

If Bitcoin Global was registered business and he is listed there that has to be his real name, well I suppose the Brits could do it differently there and not require government issued ID to get your business registered but I doubt it.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 08:28:11 AM

The reason Nefario shut glbse down is because he did stupid things like register the domain and other things using his credit card. It means he is the only person connected with the company as no one else signed anything. You can call him a scammer but he faced jail for allowing people to issue illegal securities.

tl;dr dont buy the domains or try to register an illegal securities market using credit cards.

fido

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:20:17 PM

Why is nefario connected with all these other businesses?  Do we even know his real name?   This is starting to look really shady.  Do we even know his name is actually James McCarthy?

Bitcoin Global is the name of the organization that ran GLBSE. Of course his name is James McCarthy. Do you have any evidence to the contrary, or you just trying to stir up wild speculation?

No I'm not trying to stir up speculation. But look at the facts here...

1) A guy we only know as 'Nefario' starts a Bitcoin securities market -- but during a big presentation in late 2012 doesn't know what 'arbitrage' means, and has referred to stock shares as 'equity steak' in private messages.

2) In Sep 2012, Nefario gives this talk, and it seems like things at GLBSE are going great.  When an audience member asks a question regarding legality, he casually dismisses the problem, and indicates he hasn't even bothered consulting a lawyer.  He acts completely arrogant yet clueless.

3) Weeks later, 'Nefario' shuts down the exchange without any explanation.  He refuses to release the shareholder database for over a month, there is evidence he ignored shareholder bylaws in shutting the whole thing down, and it comes out that the "Treasurer" of the organization only holds about 10% of the user funds.  The rest of the funds are under 'Nefario's' Direct control.

4) Even during the payout phase, which has taken way too long, there are screw-ups, double payments, etc.

5) The Treasurer claims that not only did Nefario violate shareholder bylaws repeatedly, and indicates he wouldn't listen to their votes, but the Treasurer also claims that Nefario was using user funds for personal purposes (hiring a lawyer, etc)

6) Nefario was involved in these forums, registering domain names as early as Dec 2010.  This is around the time Satoshi registered on Bitcoin talk.  This means Nefario was a REALLY early adopter  (yet can't spell 'equity stake'?) .  It's interesting yet strange.

7) Nefario is connected via these domain registrations (some of which are businesses which have absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoins).  The addresses he is connected to include one in Ireland, possibly one in China, and at least two in the UK.

Cool The guy is so broke at one point that he has to borrow 400 pounds off Bitcoin-OTC (against some of his bitcoins) to pay for some basic necessities in his life.

9) So he's completely broke at one point recently, but he has lived in Ireland, China, and multiple places in the UK.   Which is it?  

How much was he paying himself out of GLBSE?  Where are the financial records?  Where did the money go?  Why was the exchange shut down?  Was he visited by the authorities?  If so, whom?  What did they say?  Are any clients at legal risk?  Are any shareholders at legal risk ?  Who holds copies of the database?  What have his lawyers said (if he has consulted with any)?

This whole thing stinks.

Here's my point:

These facts look pretty shady.

You can register a domain name with a fake name.  It's easy, and anyone that has registered domains knows that you can either enable Domain Privacy (so it doesn't show your address) , or you can use a completely fake name entirely.   There is no reason that these WHOIS queries should be listed under his real name, unless he gave that name when registering.

If there are business records showing his name is identical to the WHOIS registration, then that adds to the evidence that it's his real name.  I have not seen those records.

I don't think it's unreasonable considering the circumstances to ask if this is the guys real name.   There is no evidence to suggest that Nefario has an alias, but also I don't consider a WHOIS query to be proof of someone's name -- especially when we are talking about a guy with poor judgement at best, and a scammer or narc at worst.

I think what happened is as follows:

Nefario is a decent developer, but doesn't know anything about finance and foolishly ignores the laws regarding the exchange of securities.  At one point, probably in late September or October 2012, he consults a lawyer or gets a visit from the authorities, and so gets spooked.  He either unilaterally decides to shut everything down to avoid jail time / liability, or has been visited by the authorities who have threatened him.  He ignores all the shareholder bylaws and does whatever he wants.

If it was the authorities, he has NOT told the public the details (even though this would be his moral obligation in either case).  So the guy is obviously foolish and completely untrustworthy.  The silence (he hasn't been on the forums in awhile now) and the lack of transparency are the proof that something is up.

If you can prove to me his real name is James (with evidence besides a WHOIS query)  , then I'll believe it.  But otherwise, considering the other lies, half-truths, and complete lack of transparency here, I don't think it would be prudent to assume we know his real name based on a domain registration, since these are easy to fake.

And if I was a shareholder or a business at GLBSE, I'd demand Nefario come on here and explain the whole truth to the public -- tell us exactly what the hell happened.  That is his obligation, but he won't do that , because his prime directive is to protect his own ass above all else .

And that is a fact regardless of whatever his real name is.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 06:31:23 PM

7) Nefario is connected via these domain registrations (some of which are businesses which have absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoins).  The addresses he is connected to include one in Ireland, possibly one in China, and at least two in the UK.

9) So he's completely broke at one point recently, but he has lived in Ireland, China, and multiple places in the UK.   Which is it?  

Its strange... he went through the world to promote bitcoin, is using different addresses but no one knows more than a public phone number of him. So where he lives? London, Ireland, China? Searching without even knowing that is probably pointless.

At least he is communicating again, last time on 25th. Thats giving a bit hope.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:53:35 PM

If I remember well there is a list with all the GLBSE associates and their forum handle. I can't find it. Can somebody please point me to it?

Thanks.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 05:57:45 AM

No I'm not trying to stir up speculation. But look at the facts here...
1) A guy ... [9 random statements which are more or less true, surrounded by speculation and innuendo]

This whole thing stinks.
Here's my point:
These facts look pretty shady. ... blah blah blah fear uncertainty doubt, random speculation, innuendo, and nonsense blah blah blah ...

The problem is that you don't have a point.

Please, just make a concrete statement and give the evidence that proves the statement conclusively and concisely.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:04:39 AM

If I remember well there is a list with all the GLBSE associates and their forum handle. I can't find it. Can somebody please point me to it?

Thanks.

Find it yourself.

chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:56:01 AM

Find it yourself.

He said he couldn't find it.

Here's a partial list:

theymos
me
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 07:01:18 AM

He said he couldn't find it.

Here's a partial list:

theymos
me

You forgot Nefario.    Tongue

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 12:03:21 PM

Thanks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119782.msg1291955#msg1291955

All the forumnames i know are in the list.

ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 01:16:15 PM

Thanks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119782.msg1291955#msg1291955

All the forumnames i know are in the list.

Thanks Sebastian. Who would have believed Mircea Popescu will do something useful for me? Multumesc Mircea!

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:28:44 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2012, 06:21:19 PM by dishwara

I may create a separate thread, but still it revolves around Nefario, its best to put here to ask/know somethings.

GLBSE & asset issuing is greedy & scamming, but doing it through deception.

Normally we used to buy shares on GLBSE & sell it for higher price or just hold it to get dividend.
Everything was going fine, until suddenly glbse closed down & was told some govt involvement SEC, ABC.........
But so far not even his friends who is share holders can't able to show us any true legal papers govt asking.
besides the share holders can't control Nefario & just sitting & watching everything.

Nefario - the evil, Now became the real evil.
The asset infos held in GLBSE is not have any use to Nefario - NO

The asset info is everything.
Nefario had/has secret contract with asset issuers, that asset issuers must give him a monthly or one time money, which i don't know.

Some asset issuers started asking asset holders to sell the assets, coz due to block half, ASIC entering........that the bonds/share they issued has very less value now & sell it for price they offer.

All the asset had value when GLBSE online & now it starts loosing value & so the issuers want to buy back , so the holders get at least some coins in return.

This is the biggest scam happened/happening now.

I am sure asset issuers had/has a dealing with Nefario that, if nefario helps them to buy back assets in cheap price then they will give monthly or yearly or one time settlement to Nefario.
coz asset issuers, got all the money they needed to buy bitcoin mining farms & mining happily & some also got ASIC..high capacity miners, just with the money given by assets holders/buyers -WE
& they don't want to share the profits to others hereafter.
So Nefario shut down glbse saying some SEC, ABC, jail......
But other share holders of GLBSE opposed it, so nefario took all responsibility on his head ( 100% lie) & others washed out their hands.
And in between the share holders of GLBSE leaking details or logs & saying Nefario can't be controlled.

All this drama done, to hide the fact that "GLBSE & its shut down is a scam done by Nefario & others.
Instead of doing directly with the name "SCAM", doing silently.
deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:09:22 PM

Quote from: Nefario
You can expect about 3-4 asset issers a day to be given shareholder lists, starting from what were the largest assets moving down.

http://blog.glbse.com

Only 10 asset issuers have received an (incomplete) list almost 10 days after that announcement.

Quote from: Nefario
I'll be sending out updated lists by tomorrow afternoon.

Ther will also be some new lists sent out for some issuers.

http://blog.glbse.com

Updated and new lists were announced for Nov 26th afternoon (3 days ago).

What the hell is he doing?
WITRcenter

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

W Investment Technology Research Center

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:11:39 PM

Nefario refused to return the 8 Bitcoin to me. Good luck everyone.

WIT-2, a new equity investment opportunity offered by W Investment Technology Research Center.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=132035.msg1414857#msg1414857
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 02:58:08 AM

Any more infos? I mean he was in contact with you and didnt want to give you your user money or what are the 8BTC? Sounds like there is more to this story.

jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 06:53:29 AM

Any more infos? I mean he was in contact with you and didnt want to give you your user money or what are the 8BTC? Sounds like there is more to this story.

Probably the same as mine where I paid for an asset to be issued, and he refused to assist/answer questions and then the site was taken down like a day later. So in short he fleeced as many people as he could then cut and run.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: