Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:43:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 764 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 1471702 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:14:05 PM

I will help to test next weekend. I am very busy during the week. Hope my node helps to stabilizes the test network.

If you need invitation Ryver for tested IOTA, you can sent me your email via MP!!  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitbytes

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:07:47 PM

More coverage of Iota and Tangle. Pardon the large chunk of text:

http://bitcoinist.net/vanbex-report-tangle-blockchain/

Mar. 14, 2016 — Has the conversation evolved already? Amid the blockchain technological push, another variation has emerged — the “tangle.”

The Vanbex Report is a periodic summary of the blockchain industry’s top news stories from the biggest companies, as well as the most promising newcomers.

The Tangle and the Blockchain

The Tangle or Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) chain essentially means a collection of nodes or vertices, while allowing connectivity between nodes but with no circular edgings. In other words, you cannot start at one vertex and eventually loop back to that same vertex via a sequence of edges (connections).

A blockchain can be loosely defined as a ledger of transactions shared by participating nodes in the system operating under some kind of consensus protocol.

While blockchain technology will help automate contracts, the insurance industry, accounting, financial and others, there are critics that say such a robust framework is not ideal for machine-to-machine payments on a smaller scale.

Enter Iota, a micro-transaction cryptotoken said to be designed for the Internet-of-Things (IoT).

At a Bitcoin Talk, Iota stated: “Unlike the complex and heavy blockchains of Bitcoin and the like, which were designed with other uses in mind, Iota is created to be as lightweight as possible, hence the name “Iota” with emphasis on the ‘IoT’ part.”

IoT wrote further, “these connected IoT devices must be able to automatically pay miniscule amounts to one another in a frictionless manner without having to compromise on product design by introducing additional hardware.”

But will blockchain technology hinder this?

The IoT will permeate electronics, household items, bringing inanimate objects to life in a manner of semantics, granting selfless interaction to an estimated 20 billion connected devices by 2020.

IBM and Samsung’s vision of appliances of the future sounds like something out of a Pixar film.

They see appliances, objects of the future as being connected instruments, able to retrieve updates, trigger self-diagnoses for debugging and various other functions. This is something they call the Autonomous Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Telemetry (ADEPT) system, a concept which surfaced in 2015.

The ADEPT system would be connected to blockchains that provide the backbone of the system, using a mix of proof-of-work and proof-of-stake to secure transactions.

The issue of scalability and the cumbersome aspects seen within cryptocurrency networks was addressed by ADEPT, with the team stating in 2015: “Multiple efforts like sidechains, treechains, and mini-blockchains are ongoing to address this problem.”

“While each approach has its merits and demerits we are yet to see consensus on a common approach across the board. A blockchain to cater to hundreds of billions of devices needs to be scalable.”

Queue Iota. The company stated it isn’t seeking to replace the blockchain entirely.

Their technology will “also act as a supplementation to the current blockchain ecosystem by acting as an oracle for smart contract platforms like Ethereum and Rootstock.”

Further, Iota claims since its technology enables the ability to include checkpoints for transactions it will increase the security of blockchains.

These “value-added” aspects are pivotal.

Bitcoinist.net published an article titled, “IOTA: Internet of Things Without the Blockchain?” Security Ledger, a different piece, “Blockchain or Tangle? Securing Transactions on the IoT.”

The headlines suggest a one-or-the-other scenario.

Maybe Iota’s perspective is currently accurate, that blockchains are too complex for micro-transactions of the IoT world system, but blockchains are also malleable and as projects like Tendermint exhibit, the goal is agnostic programming for versatile use case applications.

It’s not the tangle versus the blockchain. It simply can’t be.

As the projection of billions of connected devices within the next decade are tossed around, it seems most practical Iota, as a micro-transaction cryptotoken, must operate in conjunction with the myriad blockchains that will connect the myriad devices belonging to a diverse corporate world of things.

yassin54
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 11:29:31 PM

More coverage of Iota and Tangle. Pardon the large chunk of text:

http://bitcoinist.net/vanbex-report-tangle-blockchain/

Tweeted!! https://twitter.com/MagicNxt/status/709520906599735296  Wink
olarsson

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 12:16:53 AM

Some newbee questions about IOTA:

Is there a three letter shortcode for IOTA-(coin)?

Is there something like a wallet that in which I can store it?

Can I get it prerelease? How should I do?

When do you expect IOTA to be officially available on common markets?

Thank you for your answers.
oldisoft

Activity: 854

https://iota.org/

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 07:01:27 AM

Tweeted that on https://twitter.com/IOTAecosystem

oldisoft

Activity: 854

https://iota.org/

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 07:03:22 AM

a small contribution for IOTA community from a talented friend:

any donations are welcome. [prefer IOTA]

I like this video very much ! Tweeted as well on https://twitter.com/IOTAecosystem

child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:00:19 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2016, 09:11:48 AM by child_harold

So a few days ago I was talking to a software developer friend I think is pretty switched-on.
We've discussed many cryptos in the past and Ive got him to read a few whitepapers in the past for technical feedback.

I described IOTA to him, saying the PoW is in the tx's and how its based on a DAG. His ears instantly pricked up and he seemed intrigued. As it transpires DAG's are pretty basic stuff in Comp Science and he was able to grock what IOTA was attempting quickly.

He wasnt convinced about this IOTA "being built into the firmware" of IoT devices play, presumably since he thinks hw adoption of this kind is unlikely.

In the convo we also discussed game theory and incentives. My friend argued Satoshi's great genius was to provide the incentives necessary to make Bitcoin work.

These incentives (e.g. mining rewards) do not exist in IOTA and we agreed it'll be fascinating to see how this network evolves.

Just some thoughts.

carajillu

Activity: 577
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:11:04 AM

So a few days ago I was talking to a software developer friend I think is pretty switched-on.
We've discussed many cryptos in the past and Ive got him to read a few whitepapers in the past for technical feedback.

I described IOTA to him, saying the PoW is in the tx's and how its based on a DAG. His ears instantly pricked up and he seemed intrigued. As it transpires DAG's are pretty basic stuff in Comp Science and he was able to grock what IOTA was attempting quickly.

He wasnt convinced about this IOTA "being built into the firmware" of IoT devices play, presumably since he thinks hw adoption of this kind is unlikely.

In the convo we also discussed game theory and incentives. My friend argued Satoshi's great genius was to provide the incentives necessary to make Bitcoin work.

These incentives (e.g. mining) do not exist in IOTA and my friend and I are agreed it'll be fascinating to see how this network evolves.

Just some thoughts.

I have also discussed the IOTA rewards topic with some people. While you cant mine, it seems to me that all devices in the network will be forwarding transactions so they can charge an amount for doing so. If a device is connected to the network and you are controlling this device, you can program it for switching off if it is not doing anything useful, or if anybody pays it 1 IOTA in 24 hours for example. Maybe the model will be pay devices for their uptime, not for their forwarded transactions but of course, this relies completely in the devices firmware.
Many approaches possible, and different protocols can be built on top of.
child_harold

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:15:31 AM

These incentives (e.g. mining rewards ) do not exist in IOTA and my friend and I are agreed it'll be fascinating to see how this network evolves.

Just some thoughts.

I have also discussed the IOTA rewards topic with some people. While you cant mine, it seems to me that all devices in the network will be forwarding transactions so they can charge an amount for doing so. If a device is connected to the network and you are controlling this device, you can program it for switching off if it is not doing anything useful, or if anybody pays it 1 IOTA in 24 hours for example. Maybe the model will be pay devices for their uptime, not for their forwarded transactions but of course, this relies completely in the devices firmware.

Interesting idea although my understanding was the network's unique advantages are partly built around 0 tx fees. If your node did charge to forward a tx (is this even possible to set-up?) why would I route through it? (unless it was unlocking something slock.it style perhaps?)

carajillu

Activity: 577

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:23:52 AM

These incentives (e.g. mining rewards ) do not exist in IOTA and my friend and I are agreed it'll be fascinating to see how this network evolves.

Just some thoughts.

Interesting idea although my understanding was the network's unique advantages are partly built around 0 tx fees. If your node did charge to forward a tx (is this even possible to set-up?) why would I route through it? (unless it was unlocking something slock.it style perhaps?)

No, nodes do not charge for tx, but if you are the controller of a cloud of devices you can program them to work only under certain conditions.This gives more freedom to fmw developers
child_harold

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:31:30 AM

No, nodes do not charge for tx, but if you are the controller of a cloud of devices you can program them to work only under certain conditions.This gives more freedom to fmw developers

OK, so if you are the "controller of a cloud of devices" we can say that you are incentivized to run nodes.

LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:33:36 AM

I think a great aspect about no mining is the environmental aspect. The 0tx is a great but I also wonder what the incentive would be to process transactions, perhaps it is already explained somewhere.
child_harold

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 10:01:19 AM

I think a great aspect about no mining is the environmental aspect. The 0tx is a great but I also wonder what the incentive would be to process transactions, perhaps it is already explained somewhere.

the following is the only comment I remember from the thread so far:

Those who care about incentives should read about altruism and its role in humankind evolution. Altruism is as old as greed, and one does not simply overcome patterns coded inside our genes.

Im not sure what game theory says about altruism. I should read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory#Routes_to_altruism

iotatoken

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 10:44:26 AM

the following is the only comment I remember from the thread so far:

Those who care about incentives should read about altruism and its role in humankind evolution. Altruism is as old as greed, and one does not simply overcome patterns coded inside our genes.

Im not sure what game theory says about altruism. I should read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory#Routes_to_altruism

There seems to be some confusion here:

Zero fees is enabled through the very structure of the network itself. You need to verify previous transactions when you yourself want to send iota txs, but it's such a negligible amount of PoW that you don't need further compensation. So IOTA is a self-sustaining ecosystem, unlike regular blockchains where you have a separate pool of people validating blocks via PoW or PoS who need to be compensated which manifests as a fee, IOTA instead spread the verification throughout the entire network of users.

So it's not like one of IOTA's unique selling points of zero fees hinges upon some abstract altruism (although as CfB points out empirical data from other projects plus evolution shows altruism is indeed also an effective enabler), instead it's an intrinsic part of the very architecture of the Tangle technology in IOTA itself.

twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 11:09:20 AM

Some newbee questions about IOTA:

Is there a three letter shortcode for IOTA-(coin)?

Is there something like a wallet that in which I can store it?

Can I get it prerelease? How should I do?

When do you expect IOTA to be officially available on common markets?

Thank you for your answers.

There is no wallet yet. Dev is working on t.

You can buy IOTA here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1360660.msg14200201#msg14200201

We expect IOTA to be out this year on the markets  Grin
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 11:18:20 AM

Iota doesn't have a 3-letter ISO code. It's tokens that are called iotas. Like chips that you drop into Jukebox to listen to a song.
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 11:22:24 AM

Iota doesn't have a 3-letter ISO code. It's tokens that are called iotas. Like chips that you drop into Jukebox to listen to a song.

but maybe IOT@

Smiley

IOTA
Tobo

Activity: 763

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 01:43:53 PM

The benefit and profit of having a free and effective and efficient marketplace to trade IoT data and other resources can be one of the incentives for the players and machines to maintain this marketplace with a very small cost .
Apollo13

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 01:51:09 PM

Where can I read more about the tech that is used in IOTA?
OP didn't help me much.
Tobo

Activity: 763

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 01:58:31 PM

Where can I read more about the tech that is used in IOTA?
OP didn't help me much.

Tangle white paper  - http://188.138.57.93/tangle.pdf
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 764 »
  Print  

Jump to: