Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:16:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 [543] 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201066 times)
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 30, 2019, 06:07:01 PM

Decred dev funding and governance mechanism are brilliant features, and the airdrop bootstrapped a community of enthusiastic supporters, and staking via tickets system keeps a lot of coins locked up earning income for holders. The whole decred design is very well thought out, that's why guys who messed up the airdrop are still upset.

Blockchain governance's "brilliance" is not yet proven in my opinion. Give an angry, and motivated minority enough reasons, and they will fork, and the chain will split.

That's another great feature Decred was designed against. It's very expensive for a minority to maintain a working fork of Decred. The protocol just doesn't allow for it like, e.g., Bitcoin does.
...that's not to say a motivated minority couldn't just go and copy pasta the github repo and release their "fork" that way: but there are different implications for that kind of deployment.

Don't you understand? NOTHING might stop a minority from forking of, and cause a split in the chain if they disagree with what's changed in the protocol. Changes in the protocol that can ever never be removed anymore.

What until Decred gets its own scaling debate.

I didn't say "NOTHING". Cheesy Absolutely some minority can go and fork and launch. What is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY is that any minority has the resources to maintain an ongoing, contentious fork (because of the way consensus is reached in Decred, with PoS/PoV miners). Maybe that frames up the correct scenario?

There was a nice article some time ago that delve into the numbers of maintaining a contentious fork alongside the "real" fork in Decred. It was enlightening. If I find it, I'll post it Cheesy

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EmilioMann
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
October 30, 2019, 08:42:03 PM

Wind_Fury, You're wrong.
Decred can have its code copied and pasted to create another coin, which is considered a fork, but the blockchain with decred's history cannot be split into two like ETH / ETC, bitcoincash, etc.
It is unfeasible  to do that.
I suggest you go to matrix and talk to a dev about it.
https://decred.org/community/

Jake Yocom-Piatt, decred creator, on BlockTV today
"Resolving Corporate Governance In Cryptocurrency"

https://blocktv.com/watch/2019-10-30/5db9ab4487a7e-resolving-corporate-governance-in-cryptocurrency
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
October 30, 2019, 10:15:23 PM

Wind_Fury, You're wrong.
Decred can have its code copied and pasted to create another coin, which is considered a fork, but the blockchain with decred's history cannot be split into two like ETH / ETC, bitcoincash, etc.

https://blocktv.com/watch/2019-10-30/5db9ab4487a7e-resolving-corporate-governance-in-cryptocurrency

Preventing forks from breaking away with a shared tx history prior to some block is impossible. If you're going to hardfork away from decred, then you can do anything you want to maintain the tx history. For instance, at block X empty the ticket pool, reset ticket price to 1 dcr, reset PoW diff and change algo, if necessary modify other checks to allow ticket pool to be emptied, etc. It's ludicrous to pretend that no one could hard fork decred and start a split chain with a shared tx history prior to some block. Would it be more of a pita than doing the same thing to Bitcoin? Sure. Would it be impossible? Controller nuclear fusion isn't impossible, this sure as shit isn't impossible.
EmilioMann
Legendary

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
October 30, 2019, 10:38:15 PM

I shouldn't even be wasting my time talking to a troll.  
you have always been one here with a speech disguised as constructive criticism.
you proved again to be a troll when calling gembitz when he was taking too long to reappear here
But anyway, my first language is Brazilian Portuguese, in it we have a word for "almost impossible", for something that doesn't pay to be done. This word is "inviável".
Unfortunately I found nothing similar in English and i thought that "unfeasible" could replace it.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2019, 12:20:12 AM

I shouldn't even be wasting my time talking to a troll.  
you have always been one here with a speech disguised as constructive criticism.
you proved again to be a troll when calling gembitz when he was taking too long to reappear here
But anyway, my first language is Brazilian Portuguese, in it we have a word for "almost impossible", for something that doesn't pay to be done. This word is "inviável".
Unfortunately I found nothing similar in English and i thought that "unfeasible" could replace it.

Lol I just think it's funny how dedicated gembitz is to harassing you guys. He's in the Monero thread too, but people don't let him get under their skin like you guys do. If you dismiss criticism as FUD from a troll them you're no better than Dash or Zcash or thousand other indefensible projects. That wasn't really my criticism anyway - I was basically just repeating what I heard Luke Powell say at Coinbase Custody event when asked about how difficult it would be to cause a hardfork/chain split. He certainly didn't say it was impossible or even nearly so.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 03:21:12 PM

have you not renamed this coin yet?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

DeDead

no longer DeCred.

Cheesy

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 04:46:43 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2019, 05:56:42 PM by IncludeBeer
Merited by KawaBunGa (1)

Wind_Fury, You're wrong.

Preventing forks from breaking away with a shared tx history prior to some block is impossible. If you're going to hardfork away from decred, then you can do anything you want to maintain the tx history. For instance, at block X empty the ticket pool, reset ticket price to 1 dcr, reset PoW diff and change algo, if necessary modify other checks to allow ticket pool to be emptied, etc. It's ludicrous to pretend that no one could hard fork decred and start a split chain with a shared tx history prior to some block. Would it be more of a pita than doing the same thing to Bitcoin? Sure. Would it be impossible? Controller nuclear fusion isn't impossible, this sure as shit isn't impossible.

I found the article!
What would happen to Decred in a Bitcoin Cash or Segwit2X hard fork scenario?
Firstly, Bitcoins hard fork problem would simply not happen in Decred. There is a formal on-chain voting system to deal with all governance decisions related to hard forks. Secondly, it would be virtually impossible to fork the Decred network in the way we have recently seen with the Bitcoin Cash fork or SegWit2x. This is because all new blocks created by PoW miners need to conform to the wishes of Decred stakeholders (PoS miners). If PoW miners refuse to comply with the collective policy, PoS miners can invalidate any new blocks they create. So, for example, if 80% of stakeholders voted in favour of activating the Lightning Network, and the remaining 20% refused to move over to the new chain that supported Lightning Network features, then the 80% majority could simply vote new blocks on the old chain as invalid, which would strip them of the block reward. In turn, this would incentivise PoW miners to move from the old chain to the new chain, and the old chain would die off.

The only way someone could hard fork Decred against the wishes of stakeholders would be to create an entirely new fork of the blockchain and start it from scratch. In which case, it would not be contentious at all, because it wouldn’t be Decred.

Source: https://thedecreddigest.com/2017/11/08/hard-forks-done-right-its-decreds-time-to-shine/ (just before the conclusion at the end of the doc).

TL;DR: a chain split where the original history is shared in the contentious hard fork is "virtually impossible" in Decred, because voters are incentivized to vote against "contentious" PoW blocks being created. Without PoS votes confirming the validity of the block, those blocks offer no block reward for the miner, incentivizing that minority to move from their unprofitable and contentious fork to the new chain.

gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 06:53:08 PM

If any of you folks want to help with some grassroots outreach, do send me a direct message here.
It won't take a lot of energy from you, so don't worry. If you wanna do a little bit to help spread awareness of DCR, let me know.
We need to hurry up before the next bull run, by then it might be too late.

bittrex class action lawsuit? :-D cool story bruh

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1706

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2019, 09:02:37 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2019, 09:20:06 AM by wwzsocki

...and the airdrop bootstrapped a community of enthusiastic supporters...
you are delusional the "airdrop" was a bittrex insider phishing scam  Tongue Roll Eyes Angry  you new here?

I was wondering also what he is talking about, only I was surprised to hear about Decred airdrop for the first time.

Never posted much in this thread but I frequently checked Decred and wasn't aware that there was an airdrop at all and now I hear that was "bittrex insider phishing scam"  Huh

Could you explain a little more or provide any source for more information?

jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 10:02:44 AM
Merited by IncludeBeer (1)

No, because there was no phishing or scam. Gembitz is just mad he missed it. All you needed to sign up for the airdrop was a social media account with some significant posting history. Could people have received multiple airdrops? Probably. But if you're paranoid in general about not leaking identity on social media then there would have been no way for the airdrop to reveal additional info about yourself. I don't know why he always lumps Bittrex in to his claims.
wwzsocki
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2019, 10:18:52 AM

No, because there was no phishing or scam. Gembitz is just mad he missed it. All you needed to sign up for the airdrop was a social media account with some significant posting history...

Now I am surprised and literally don't understand why such an obvious FUD from Gembitz?

@Gembitz can you please explain what you mean with: "the "airdrop" was a bittrex insider phishing scam"?

I would like to hear both sides of the story before drawing final conclusions, such an ordinary human caution, forced by my experience  Wink.

Of course, thank you Jwinterm for fast answers and explanation. I would like to hear more details about this airdrop, like how long it was ongoing, who can participate, how much coins were distributed, when was the start and the end, and so on. That is why I asked for a source of information because I wanted to know more details.

jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 10:46:30 AM

No, because there was no phishing or scam. Gembitz is just mad he missed it. All you needed to sign up for the airdrop was a social media account with some significant posting history...

Now I am surprised and literally don't understand why such an obvious FUD from Gembitz?

@Gembitz can you please explain what you mean with: "the "airdrop" was a bittrex insider phishing scam"?

I would like to hear both sides of the story before drawing final conclusions, such an ordinary human caution, forced by my experience  Wink.

Of course, thank you Jwinterm for fast answers and explanation. I would like to hear more details about this airdrop, like how long it was ongoing, who can participate, how much coins were distributed, when was the start and the end, and so on. That is why I asked for a source of information because I wanted to know more details.

Afair it was announced and then there was three or four months to sign up for it. It distributed 4% of the total supply I believe. If you want to see the level of discourse gembitz generally engages in just look at the past few pages of his post history.
IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 06:27:57 PM

lol ya, jw got it right. There's no story or reasoning from his side. He's just a troll. It's sad when noobies can become swayed by his bs.

EmilioMann
Legendary

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
November 04, 2019, 01:46:34 AM
Last edit: November 04, 2019, 01:58:46 AM by EmilioMann
Merited by wwzsocki (1)

I think decred's airdrop was the first or at least one of the first to be performed in the crypto universe.
It attracted many members who are still in the community today.
Many people said that as soon as the currency entered an exchange, the airdrop would be dumped by everyone and DCR would "die."
The opposite happened. Few sold, hype attracted a lot of people and decred was born with a strong community.
After that a large number of shitcoins created airdrops thinking the same thing would happen, but decred was unique.
DCR already had strong foundations even before it was launched. The dev team, btcsuite, roadmap, the "presence" of tacotime, etc.
The number of people involved seems little compared to what we see today, after the 2017's big run that brought millions of people into the crypto market, but at that time having almost 3,000 people participating in a currency before it was launched was a great number.

Some info from decred docs (https://docs.decred.org/):

Airdrop
In total, 840,000 coins (50% of premine, 4% of total Decred supply), were distributed evenly across a list of airdrop participants.

Sign-up for the airdrop opened with a public announcement on December 15th, 2015 and closed on January 18th, 2016. Not all participants who signed up were selected to participate in the airdrop - Decred is fundamentally about technological progress, so the airdrop targeted individuals that have made contributions towards advancing technology in its various forms. There were also a large number of fraudulent sign-ups, which were carefully identified and dealt with.

When the airdrop concluded, 282.63795424 DCR was awarded to 2,972 participants.

Giving away these coins in an airdrop accomplished several things for the project: enlarging the Decred network, further helping to decentralize the distribution of coins, and getting coins into the hands of people who are interested in participating in the project. These coins were given away unconditionally and there was zero expectation of Decred receiving anything from the participants in return for these coins.

Airdrop Application and Review Process
Step 1: Registration
Individuals could register their interest in participating in the airdrop by completing an online form which opened on December 15th, 2015 and closed on January 18th, 2016. The form required applicants to provide an email address, a link to an online personal profile, and a description of why the participant was interested in Decred or how they intended to contribute to the project. This form was submitted 8,793 times, with submissions coming from 99 different countries.

The applications included duplicates, spam and scammers. The applications were reviewed and problematic entries were disqualified from the process. The process of evaluation involved a combination of:

Checking each entry individually for an online presence
Asking the participant directly for more information where the evaluator was unsure about the entry, and/or
Having a discussion with the participant about their interests, history, and proposed future contributions to the project
Checks were also included to investigate similarity in IP addresses and e-mail addresses across entries - this process was performed both manually and using automation.

Step 2: Confirm Decred Address
Successful applicants from step 1 were sent an email providing instructions on how to download Decred binaries, generate an address, and submit the address through a web form to be included in the airdrop. Address submission closed on January 25th, and in total 3,244 addresses were submitted to the airdrop database.

Once all of the addresses were received, a final inspection was performed on the data provided by each candidate airdrop participant. This final and intensive review process worked as follows:

The sign-up information of each participant was compared with their confirmation information - not only for each user, but also for each user against all other users.
The process involved comparison of IP addresses, timestamps, and user agents at both the airdrop sign-up phase and the confirmation phase.
After the final review was completed, 2,972 addresses were included in the airdrop.

Airdrop Status Updates
06-Jan-2016 - Airdrop Status https://forum.decred.org/threads/airdrop-status.121/
16-Jan-2016 - Airdrop Conclusion and Road Ahead https://forum.decred.org/threads/airdrop-conclusion-and-road-ahead.217/
25-Jan-2016 - Airdrop Rundown https://forum.decred.org/threads/airdrop-rundown.313/
09-Feb-2016 - Final Airdrop Review Process https://forum.decred.org/threads/final-airdrop-review-process.534/
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2019, 04:23:54 AM

Clam was probably the first relatively large scale successful airdrop, maybe not the first, but way before decred. There was if course the infamous auroracoin airdrop that never happened, afaik, but also 2014ish. Stellar Facebook giveaway shitshow also around then. It wasn't really an original idea by the time decred did it, but it seems like they did a pretty good job vetting people and still achieving relatively widespread distribution.
wwzsocki
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2019, 09:22:58 AM

I think decred's airdrop was the first or at least one of the first to be performed in the crypto universe.
Many people said that as soon as the currency entered an exchange, the airdrop would be dumped by everyone and DCR would "die."
The opposite happened. Few sold, hype attracted a lot of people and decred was born with a strong community.
After that a large number of shitcoins created airdrops thinking the same thing would happen, but decred was unique...

Thank you very much for this answer with all the detailed pieces of information about Decred airdrop.

Exactly what I was asking for and of course awarded this post with merit to show my appreciation and how valuable it was for me.

I don't see anything suspicious here, even more, that was really decent airdrop with clear requirements, so really don't understand all these FUD above?

IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 03:12:38 AM

After that a large number of shitcoins created airdrops thinking the same thing would happen, but decred was unique...

Thank you very much for this answer with all the detailed pieces of information about Decred airdrop.

Exactly what I was asking for and of course awarded this post with merit to show my appreciation and how valuable it was for me.

I don't see anything suspicious here, even more, that was really decent airdrop with clear requirements, so really don't understand all these FUD above?

Like he said, gembitz is our resident troll. Plz don't over-feed him Cheesy

wwzsocki
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2019, 08:43:57 AM

Like he said, gembitz is our resident troll. Plz don't over-feed him Cheesy

I will advise reporting all posts which are obvious FUD like this one about the airdrop and moderators will remove it, only add a proper description to let them know what is going on.

I am in the [CLUB] The SpamBusters! Busting rule-breakers for more than a year. for a long time and reported already almost 3000 posts with 100% accuracy.
Many times I have reposted posts which were total bullshit, nonsense, lie or FUD. As I said not only spam gets removed.

And you don't need such posts in this thread because it only brings confusion and put Decred in a bad light, despite is not true.
This is the real power of FUD, no matter if it is true, the only thing that matter is to throw mud and spread false accusations and bad advertising, which obviously is the case here.

gembitz

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 11:37:55 PM

...and the airdrop bootstrapped a community of enthusiastic supporters...
you are delusional the "airdrop" was a bittrex insider phishing scam  Tongue Roll Eyes Angry  you new here?

I was wondering also what he is talking about, only I was surprised to hear about Decred airdrop for the first time.

Never posted much in this thread but I frequently checked Decred and wasn't aware that there was an airdrop at all and now I hear that was "bittrex insider phishing scam"  Huh

JULIAN(JYAP) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=332203 THE BITTREX WALLETS INSIDER SHILLED THE DOGSHIT OUT OF DECRED USING THE JUMBUCKS SLACK BOARD PLATFORM !!! ( VIOLATING SLACK TOS AND SECURITIES LAWS)

I LOST A LOT OF BITCOIN BECAUSE I STOOD UP TO THESE PRICKS!!

>>>FUCK DCR/DECRED PHISHING SCAM VIA BITTREX AND DECRED FRAUDULENT AIRDROP.(NEWS@11)<<<

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
gembitz

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 11:43:20 PM

what i really need to REPOST the screenshot showing the "acceptance" letter? :\ hmmm + i found out i'm not the only one this happened to!!

===>

/\CURRENT ALERTS FOR THIS BUSINESS

Pattern of Complaint:

https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/seattle/profile/virtual-currency/bittrex-inc-1296-1000048938

Pages: « 1 ... 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 [543] 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: