Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:21:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Holdings of gold vs Holdings of btc  (Read 62725 times)
Superways

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:32:09 PM

but bitcoins price increase has not been linear and with a 5 year lifespan very limited data.

All technology is superceeded with old tech becoming worthless, not happened to gold in several thousand years.
The price of bitcoin is not linear it is because of some short term traders/investors they will be decreased compared to long term investors and adopters after some time pass. Wait for some more time to see the results.

Old tech becoming worthless with the coming of new. It also happened with gold. Just think about those traders who are now crypto traders. Do you think they will go back for gold trading? I don't think.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:34:12 PM

Take out the intital parabolic rise in 2013 and for 1/2 its lifespan Bitcoin price was in freefall.

Around 2016 the price began to recover to previous all time high, if the pattern repeats it could hit another 2 years of downward price movement (Current price drop may point to this).

markj113
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:35:36 PM

Old tech becoming worthless with the coming of new. It also happened with gold. Just think about those traders who are now crypto traders. Do you think they will go back for gold trading? I don't think.

Gold is not tech hence its strength, no 3rd party risk.  When I refer to all techology becomes obsolete and worthless I am talking hardware/software.

Eventually a better crypto will emerge killing bitcoin, the bitcoin devs will not react and adabt in time to recover (the whole block size shambles points to this)

Any examples?

If any serious gold traders moved into bitcoin im pretty sure the price would be signicantly higher than it is now.
Superways

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:38:56 PM

Take out the intital parabolic rise in 2013 and for 1/2 its lifespan Bitcoin price was in freefall.

Around 2016 the price began to recover to previous all time high, if the pattern repeats it could hit another 2 years of downward price movement.

You do not have to worry for that to happen after seeing a little drop of the last few days as the sellers sold their coins and now there will be no any other drop occur as the current bitcoin users who remained are the pure users of bitcoin and they are using bitcoin for their uses. In 2013 the drop happened as the pure users were very low and the investors were much more. Now you can see in the last few years a great adoption by companies and businesses.
markj113
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:42:41 PM

You do not have to worry for that to happen after seeing a little drop of the last few days as the sellers sold their coins and now there will be no any other drop occur as the current bitcoin users who remained are the pure users of bitcoin and they are using bitcoin for their uses. In 2013 the drop happened as the pure users were very low and the investors were much more. Now you can see in the last few years a great adoption by companies and businesses.

1) I am sure after the 1st parabolic rise there were many like you back then saying the price cannot drop any further but down it went for years.

2) I would class the bulk of bitcoin holders investors rather than users because they hold in the hope it makes them rich.

3) Why do you think half they guys here are less likely to dump on a price drop than professional investors?  they dont have the same resources and are more likely to panic.

4) I am not seeing any mainstream adoption of bitcoin, at this time its still computer geeks only.  Big players such as microsoft atually dumped bitcoin as a payment method.

Mbah Slamet

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 01:09:49 AM

I think both are good, gold is a classic investment that does not need to be told again his prowess. Everyone loves gold, even in a difficult moment you could pawn.

Bitcoin is one of the best investments at the moment, price movements that extraordinary makes everyone want to put their money in the bitcoin. My advice, a proportion of 50% for gold and 50% for bitcoin is the best investment solution.
RobertDeNiro

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

I purchase Robert DeNiro Memorabilia

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 01:10:41 AM

So you post some stats about how the untrustworthy governments and federal reserve is stocking up on gold and we are all supposed to believe that. I dont believe any government and neither should you but its ok. Just keep holding onto your gold and see what happens in 5 years-10 years. You'll be poor wondering why you held all that gold and I'll be rich with my digital money.

You stated "Gold is dead. No one wants it" I posted information to prove that statement to be incorrect.

Russia and China are purchasing gold on the open market so there is no trust involved around stated quantities purchased.

Most believe that the Chinese hold a much larger amount of gold than publicly stated.

But if the best argument you can counter with is "I dont trust untrustworthy governments" rather than posting some facts and data then carry on.

All you state is your personal opinion and I presume you are not a qualified financial analyst.

All the big money i.e central banks, world governments and the very wealthy are hording gold not bitcoin.  Many countries are also now fighting to repatriate their gold from the US, UK etc.

Money = control, if you think those at the top are about to lose power to bitcoin you are living in a dream world.  The only reason they havent crushed it yet is because bitcoin is insignificantly small to them and they are probably using it to analyze blockchain security and scaleability in readiness for a move to digital currency (possible they will use blockchain but not bitcoin as several banks have allready stated)

The bitcoin Beta will end sooner or later but there is money to be made in the short term, its just knowing when to jump ship.

Gold is dead and no one wants it man. I know lots of people through work, my kids school, family, extended family and I am very vocal about Bitcoin and have discussed gold with many people around me. Some professionals, some on social aid ect and the one thing is for sure. They all think gold is worthless in their life but they can see the benefit of bitcoin and understand how it can directly affect their life.

My kids, they dont want gold. They want crypto. My friends, none of us want gold, we all want crypto. So at least around me no one wants gold. My father used to invest in gold mining companies and has even pulled all of those investments and put them in better places like facebook apple and bitcoin. You need to forget about the old and get with the new. The next generation of children will all want bitcoin and I can promise none of them will want to hold gold. Only gold they will want is around their finger.

Just admit. Gold cant do shit, cant help us and surely cant change our lives for the better but bitcoin and digital currencies can and will.

markj113
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:56:47 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2017, 09:42:18 AM by markj113

Gold is dead and no one wants it man. I know lots of people through work, my kids school, family, extended family and I am very vocal about Bitcoin and have discussed gold with many people around me. Some professionals, some on social aid ect and the one thing is for sure. They all think gold is worthless in their life but they can see the benefit of bitcoin and understand how it can directly affect their life.

My kids, they dont want gold. They want crypto. My friends, none of us want gold, we all want crypto. So at least around me no one wants gold. My father used to invest in gold mining companies and has even pulled all of those investments and put them in better places like facebook apple and bitcoin. You need to forget about the old and get with the new. The next generation of children will all want bitcoin and I can promise none of them will want to hold gold. Only gold they will want is around their finger.

Just admit. Gold cant do shit, cant help us and surely cant change our lives for the better but bitcoin and digital currencies can and will.

How can you state "gold is dead and no one wants it" when $20 trillion gold is traded annually - you are obviously talking bollocks.

Your kids dont want gold because you preach bitcoin to them.
Your friends dont want gold because most friends have smiliar interests e.g computer nerds hence bitcoin.

Market caps dont lie and if you think $20 trillion in trades= no demand then you are retarded.

Bitcoin is ok for small time traders but is illiquid for large scale trading.

Occasionally as much as $5 billion gold is dumped into the futures market by traders in one hit, what would happen to bitcoin price if that happened on Bitstamp  Grin

carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 07:01:27 AM

So you post some stats about how the untrustworthy governments and federal reserve is stocking up on gold and we are all supposed to believe that. I dont believe any government and neither should you but its ok. Just keep holding onto your gold and see what happens in 5 years-10 years. You'll be poor wondering why you held all that gold and I'll be rich with my digital money.

You stated "Gold is dead. No one wants it" I posted information to prove that statement to be incorrect.

Russia and China are purchasing gold on the open market so there is no trust involved around stated quantities purchased.

Most believe that the Chinese hold a much larger amount of gold than publicly stated.

But if the best argument you can counter with is "I dont trust untrustworthy governments" rather than posting some facts and data then carry on.

All you state is your personal opinion and I presume you are not a qualified financial analyst.

All the big money i.e central banks, world governments and the very wealthy are hording gold not bitcoin.  Many countries are also now fighting to repatriate their gold from the US, UK etc.

Money = control, if you think those at the top are about to lose power to bitcoin you are living in a dream world.  The only reason they havent crushed it yet is because bitcoin is insignificantly small to them and they are probably using it to analyze blockchain security and scaleability in readiness for a move to digital currency (possible they will use blockchain but not bitcoin as several banks have allready stated)

The bitcoin Beta will end sooner or later but there is money to be made in the short term, its just knowing when to jump ship.

i think gold is the most safest investment. it will never let you in trouble because the price of gold remains very stable. but if you want a good investment from where you want to make money then bitcoin is the best option, although it is a little risky but still it can give you a good profit also.
RobertDeNiro

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 02:26:47 AM

How can you state "gold is dead and no one wants it" when $20 trillion gold is traded annually - you are obviously talking bollocks.

Your friends dont want gold because most friends have smiliar interests e.g computer nerds hence bitcoin.

Market caps dont lie and if you think $20 trillion in trades= no demand then you are retarded.

Occasionally as much as $5 billion gold is dumped into the futures market by traders in one hit, what would happen to bitcoin price if that happened on Bitstamp  Grin

Marketcap. LOL. Myspace had a big market cap once, so did 8track players. Both are nowhere to be seen today. And while some companies, governments and financial institutions are still trading gold it by no means leads us to believe that gold will still be wanted or needed 5-10 years from now. You seriously need to sell your gold and move into the future will all of us or get left behind in the past like the guys who are still using pagers.

agamasrori

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 02:35:24 AM

Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?
We need really long time to make it, the first thing is we have to make huge bitcoin dissemination. Because only few people were already knew about bitcoin around me. May be we need more than 50 years.

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
Doms

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 02:40:00 AM

Gold has proven its worth for a long time and I don't think that is going to change in the near future. Wherever you go, gold is a relatively known commodity that commands a great value. To compare it with bitcoin which is still at its early stages of development would be a little off. We all know that both has value right now but bitcoin is pretty much still an unknown currency, that is to the general masses.
RobertDeNiro

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 02:45:23 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2017, 02:57:27 AM by RobertDeNiro

Gold has proven its worth for a long time and I don't think that is going to change in the near future. Wherever you go, gold is a relatively known commodity that commands a great value. To compare it with bitcoin which is still at its early stages of development would be a little off. We all know that both has value right now but bitcoin is pretty much still an unknown currency, that is to the general masses.

So was the usd when it was first introduced. And Bitcoin has many more uses then gold has, its only a normal progression that bitcoin will replace gold as gold becomes worthless.

Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1059

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 04:34:54 AM

I think it's a good thing that we're living a life where bitcoin is still in its early age. That means if bitcoin is a success in the far future and you've invested today, you'll be one of the rich people of the world. I think gold is valuable too and can be made profit of when you buy and sell it in small scale. But I don't think gold is for everybody. I mean, only rich people make good amount of money by holding gold because they hold a lot of it. But in bitcoins, even peasants (like me) can earn from it.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Lisaren

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 04:45:32 AM

Yes, You are right . Gold is still a strongest assest until now. Almost people around the world keep gold for storage but bitcoin is newer with customers and it's not popular with all people in the world beside that bitcoin hasn't yet been accepted by the government .
hawkins

Activity: 1204

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:05:32 AM

in fact, holding gold in a very long time can make us more profitable, and it is a sure investment. however, to make an investment, we must see our present condition. Well, if you really want to invest in a long time, gold could be the best option. but, if you're always looking for new businesses, bitcoin is the right choice, because bitcoin may be a short-term investment that is unbelievably beneficial.
Oggy1987

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:10:43 AM

Marketcap. LOL. Myspace had a big market cap once, so did 8track players. Both are nowhere to be seen today. And while some companies, governments and financial institutions are still trading gold it by no means leads us to believe that gold will still be wanted or needed 5-10 years from now. You seriously need to sell your gold and move into the future will all of us or get left behind in the past like the guys who are still using pagers.

You really think gold is just something you trade with? You forget about its importance in industry, jewelry etc.? Yeah in 5 years women will ditch their rings and bracelets and just hang a hardware wallet around their neck Smiley
Its been used for thousands of years, not only as money, so you gotta rethink what you just posted, I KNOW gold will have some value in future, atleast in my lifespan.  You cant compare it to some outdated pager, in any point of view
Wowcoin

Activity: 910
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 08:09:28 AM

In my own opinion gold holdings is stable of its price compared with bitcoin but price is slowly rising and it depends with the demand of gold its price will move but today gold demand is low because it has many alternatives that brought large competitions. Bitcoin holdings compared to gold is really different with its economic trend due to price variation which is really challenging specially in the demand of users who trade and online selling, the price is having fluctuated movement sometimes it drops and spikes high. So if someone holds btc while the price is low and when time comes it spikes higher again then they will sell their holdings and earn big profit from sold btc.
Oggy1987

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 09:45:44 AM

In my own opinion gold holdings is stable of its price compared with bitcoin but price is slowly rising and it depends with the demand of gold its price will move but today gold demand is low because it has many alternatives that brought large competitions. Bitcoin holdings compared to gold is really different with its economic trend due to price variation which is really challenging specially in the demand of users who trade and online selling, the price is having fluctuated movement sometimes it drops and spikes high. So if someone holds btc while the price is low and when time comes it spikes higher again then they will sell their holdings and earn big profit from sold btc.

Compared to BTC, gold price is somewhat more stable, yes, but see this chart. Its not stable at all, just have more time span
http://goldprice.org/charts/history/gold_10_year_o_x_usd.png?0.7921444381160089
Bitcoin is much more volatile, thats why.

And here is gold demand. Sorry i cant find chart including 2014 and 2015
http://timiacono.com/wp-content/uploads/14-02-18_gdt-q1-2014.png

I see demand is increasing, I saw info that its around 4% every year. It cant be replaced that easy, neither in technology or jewelry.
Gold price is manipulated, its his biggest fault.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 10:01:55 AM

in fact, holding gold in a very long time can make us more profitable, and it is a sure investment. however, to make an investment, we must see our present condition. Well, if you really want to invest in a long time, gold could be the best option. but, if you're always looking for new businesses, bitcoin is the right choice, because bitcoin may be a short-term investment that is unbelievably beneficial.

If you see the history gold would the long term investment in this modern era. But bitcoin is costlier than gram of the gold. As of now and bitcoin's future prediction. I am sure we can choose bitcoin itself. According to my view bitcoin will be costliest stock in 2020.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: