Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Central, first exchange licensed to operate with a bank. This is HUGE  (Read 191822 times)
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 01:12:05 PM

It is more like the US breaking away from Europe to be independent, then immediately trading and investing with 'the enemy'.
Sure. I doubt though if the War of Independence is behind or in front of us and who were/are the loyalists?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:31:36 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2012, 05:12:39 PM by notme

whats beyond pathetic is that on these here forums many anonymous members are active.. isnt this funny as soon as theres a buck to be made they go silent or go YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH.. and throw their hand held moralistic ideals aside into something more " favourable". Money.

What is pathetic is your self-righteous bitching.

I have a job where I get paid in fiat.  I have a decent chunk of savings that has been liberated from the fiat system by buying bitcoins.  Every paycheck I convert a good portion of the USD I receive to BTC.  The rest I use to pay bills and buy gas and food since those establishments don't accept BTC.

What this partnership enables (for Europeans at least) is to simplify that process to the point where I could have my direct deposit automatically converted to BTC and then have it converted back instantly when I need to eat or pay a bill.  I am currently keeping a buffer is USD for these items only because it is too slow to move the money between BTC and USD.

The grocery store isn't going to accept BTC any time soon, and certainly not before there are enough bitcoiners.  If this service provided the same features for USD as for EUR, I would use it and increase my bitcoin usage.  This would also mean less revenue for the banks I'm currently using.

If bitcoin is worth anything, why are you so scared?  If it is so fragile, does it really deserve it's current valuation?  Thankfully, I think it is far more resilient than it seems you believe.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 04:28:43 PM

Dear all,

There's been an overwhelming response to our announcement.

Unfortunately there seems to be a misunderstanding in the head of some journalist that basically quoted that

Bitcoin-Central gets a PSP license

Bitcoin-Central becomes a bank

France regulates Bitcoin

This is of course factually incorrect :
  • Neither Bitcoin-Central nor Paymium got a PSP license, we partnered with one, which costs less but has the same result.
  • No-one became a bank, obviously becoming a bank has unbelievable overhead and requires millions and millions in capital.
  • If France actually regulated Bitcoin itself it would be an even bigger day for Bitcoin, whether good or bad I'm unsure, but still much bigger than this announcement.

We have published what could be called a press-release here.

The fact remains that we're setting the MASSIVE precedent of operating a Bitcoin exchange within the current regulatory framework.
We're setting a precedent where operating a Bitcoin exchange can be done in broad daylight.

And yes it's risky, as I was told :
Quote from: MP
you are swimming in sharky waters.
FUCK YES, I SENSE SHARK FEAR AND FELT LIKE SOUP ANYWAY.

EDIT : And to all the people that are scared, the reason you're scared is probably because you do not fully understand that Bitcoin doesn't care whether it is regulated, it doesn't care how you use it. It's math, and math does not care. Have more faith or learn math, everything's gonna be allright.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 04:52:11 PM

And to all the people that are scared, the reason you're scared is probably because you do not fully understand that Bitcoin doesn't care whether it is regulated, it doesn't care how you use it. It's math, and math does not care. Have more faith or learn math, everything's gonna be allright.

The same old song.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:02:46 PM

And by my gathering you own a substantial amoumt of bitcoin.. ...  my guess is you hardly can tie your own shoe laces let alone work.

If he "can't tie his shoelaces, let alone work," then how do you suppose he got his "substantial amount of Bitcoin?" Who gave it to him?
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 05:17:11 PM

Dear all,
Unfortunately there seems to be a misunderstanding in the head of some journalist that basically quoted that

Maybe you need to recreate the title of this thread, something like "Bitcoin-Central partners with a bank".

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
cho

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

Boar with me

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 05:21:07 PM

Dear all,

Maybe you need to recreate the title of this thread, something like "Bitcoin-Central partners with a bank".

True. Or even better, "Bitcoin-Central parterns with PSP to offer PSP services".
Trying to hype the big news is understandable, but it's not helping with the "misunderstanding".

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:31:06 PM

I wish your PSP and your bank would consider this worthwhile enough to say a word on it on their sites, too Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

I wish your PSP and your bank would consider this worthwhile enough to say a word on it on their sites, too Wink
It's the week-end so a press-release from Aqoba will have to wait until next week.
Don't count on Credit Mutuel Arkéa to say anything though.

Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:43:11 PM

The fact remains that we're setting the MASSIVE precedent of operating a Bitcoin exchange within the current regulatory framework.
We're setting a precedent where operating a Bitcoin exchange can be done in broad daylight.
Are you saying that Mt.Gox' operation is criminal in nature? Why do they go to great lengths to ensure AML compliance by requiring all sorts of documents then?

If not, are you forgetting to qualify your statement with something like "in europe"? Even then, there is a number of European exchanges. Are all of them (except yours) violating law?

davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 07:18:53 PM

Are you saying that Mt.Gox' operation is criminal in nature?
I don't know, am I ?

Why do they go to great lengths to ensure AML compliance by requiring all sorts of documents then?
Just because you sit down when you pee doesn't make you a woman.

If not, are you forgetting to qualify your statement with something like "in europe"? Even then, there is a number of European exchanges. Are all of them (except yours) violating law?
I don't know, use your own common sense, do you think any company can, without any sort of license whatsoever engage in the business of banking (collecting fiat deposits and storing them on behalf of third-parties) ?

But hey, what's not legal is not necessarily immoral. The opposite is true, during WWII is was legal to kill Jews because they were Jews, does that make it moral ?

Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 08:01:09 PM

Are you saying that Mt.Gox' operation is criminal in nature?
I don't know, am I ?
It does sound like you do. Not sure how you can possibly not know. Smiley

I don't know, use your own common sense
Well, common sense tells me that Mt.Gox could not have possibly survived for so long with such a large turnover without securing itself a warm hole in the law (in a good way). Your claim of being the first "legal" exchange contradicts this conclusion so common sense does not work here!

davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 08:23:01 PM

It does sound like you do. Not sure how you can possibly not know. Smiley
Well, MtGox got kicked out of France with the CIC v. MACARAJA case in which it was argued that MACARAJA (the French company representing TIBANNE, the company behind mtgox) needed a license to operate a service where fiat was held on behalf of third-parties. That's all I know.

They then had an account in the UK at Barclays, which got closed by the bank a couple of months ago, and they now have an account in Poland which as of today is apparently still up and running.

Well, common sense tells me that Mt.Gox could not have possibly survived for so long with such a large turnover without securing itself a warm hole in the law (in a good way). Your claim of being the first "legal" exchange contradicts this conclusion so common sense does not work here!
Moving bank accounts periodically can also be a strategy.

Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 08:49:03 PM

Fix the topic title please?

https://bitcoin-central.net/s/aqoba-partnership
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 08:54:28 PM

Done, changed "as" to "with".

davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 09:23:33 PM

no no no, fix the Credit Mutuel proper naming, not to be confused
Right

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:51:28 PM

How do you know Gox's bank cares? Remember the bank is only seeing the withdrawals and deposits, they not seeing the bitcoins coming in and out, that are used to represent those dollars.

They're not just seeing withdrawals and deposits, they are seeing $20,000,000 a month worth of withdrawals and deposits. With that amount of money they know they are likely under the scrutiny of every regulatory body out there. It's likely why MtGox has had to resort to KYC and AML regulations as well, like a real bank.

And running graph theory analysis on the blockchain. Inputting the now known users-bitcoin-address pairs supplied by Gox, BitPay, Paymium (whoever) as fixed points makes such graph theory analysis much more successful .... just saying, the more data points that go in the better the analysis (i.e. the weaker the privacy of ALL bitcoin transactions become).

fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 12:06:32 AM

I've personally attempted to get two of my regular restaurants on Polk street to accept bitcoin.  Apparently sales is not my thing.  I'm hoping this is a way to start using bitcoin without having to evangelize and harass people to accept bitcoin.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 07:41:34 AM

I've personally attempted to get two of my regular restaurants on Polk street to accept bitcoin.  Apparently sales is not my thing.  I'm hoping this is a way to start using bitcoin without having to evangelize and harass people to accept bitcoin.

That's what I'm worried about guys, don't turn this into a religion, Bitcoin's own virtues will come out by itself when the next recession comes along.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 08:10:22 AM

That's what I'm worried about guys, don't turn this into a religion, Bitcoin's own virtues will come out by itself when the next recession comes along.

+1
Give us hoarders some time to buy more cheap bitcoins before you make the price explode through wider adoption please, kthx.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: