Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:54:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Central, first exchange licensed to operate with a bank. This is HUGE  (Read 191822 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 09:58:05 AM

irrelevant since the SEC can control many/most (the biggest and most important) veins INTO and OUTOF the BTC.

This is the naive PoV specific to those captive on the web. Most BTC/fiat trade happened OTC, at all points historically. Since MtGox' recent collapse the OTC preeminence has accentuated significantly.

i do not for a minute subscribe to this "digital property" bull.

Why do you think that matters at all? It is what it is, not what you subscribe to it being.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:42:37 AM

irrelevant since the SEC can control many/most (the biggest and most important) veins INTO and OUTOF the BTC.

This is the naive PoV specific to those captive on the web. Most BTC/fiat trade happened OTC, at all points historically. Since MtGox' recent collapse the OTC preeminence has accentuated significantly.

i do not for a minute subscribe to this "digital property" bull.

Why do you think that matters at all? It is what it is, not what you subscribe to it being.

a) highly doubt that TBH, at least for the last 18 months.
b) it doesn't matter at all what I believe. it just matters how it is handled and regulated. handling and regulating it as a commodity/property would be one of the more stupid options.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:44:29 PM

But is this based on anything at all or nothing whatsoever? Is it more of a "I don't believe black swans exist in Australia, in spite of me never having been there, on the grounds that all the swans I ever saw here in England were white and none even slightly gray", or is it more of a "I heard reports of black swans, but I've investigated the various places and could find none"?

b) it doesn't matter at all what I believe. it just matters how it is handled and regulated. handling and regulating it as a commodity/property would be one of the more stupid options.

You are basically arguing that "handling" whatever that means and regulation are going to follow the smart path or avoid the stupid options? Through what thought process exactly do you come to this conclusion? It's not supported historically, or by any sort of mechanism I can think of.

Other than that, regulation is irrelevant in this discussion. We are talking about what Bitcoins are. If for instance some government comes forth with regulation requiring water to be viewed as an alcohol this won't at all change the fact that water is an oxide. It will maintain the properties of oxides (such as inflammability) and not acquire the properties of alcohols.

More narrowly, in the discussion of title, which is a term of art, nobody has any title to any Bitcoin. The working of titles does not change with regulation.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 02:51:33 PM

MPOE-PR you are free to take whatever direction suits your interests best, and trolling in this thread will do not help you pass your extensive knowledge over the issue to the masses either.

Technically bitcoins are created by miners and never move from the place in the blockchain where they were placed, or precisely the block where they showed up originally. People only move around digitally signed ownership contracts over bitcoins, not the physical possession over a tangible object. Think bigger, don't be dense. You are entitled to use your bitcoins if you can properly sign the property transfer with your private keys. Bitcoins don't suddenly cease to exists if you are incapable to prove ownership of them.

I could go on for a while but I count on your higher than average intellect to grasp this concept right away.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:25:57 PM

MPOE-PR you are free to take whatever direction suits your interests best, and trolling in this thread will do not help you pass your extensive knowledge over the issue to the masses either.

Technically bitcoins are created by miners and never move from the place in the blockchain where they were placed, or precisely the block where they showed up originally. People only move around digitally signed ownership contracts over bitcoins, not the physical possession over a tangible object. Think bigger, don't be dense. You are entitled to use your bitcoins if you can properly sign the property transfer with your private keys. Bitcoins don't suddenly cease to exists if you are incapable to prove ownership of them.

I could go on for a while but I count on your higher than average intellect to grasp this concept right away.

You've got nothing.

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:24:23 PM

Technically bitcoins are created by miners and never move from the place in the blockchain where they were placed, or precisely the block where they showed up originally. People only move around digitally signed ownership contracts over bitcoins, not the physical possession over a tangible object.
This is a wrong assumption, paraipan. Bitcoin blockchain is one giant digital storage. You are right, bitcoins never leave this digital storage, but they do move inside it from one shelf to another. The shelves of this storage are the existing (already present on the blockchain) and also the newly created public keys. This process actually represents moving digital objects in a digital coordinate system. This movement takes time to be completed and verified between 10 minutes and 1 hour.

In contrast, transfer of ownership is instantaneous. It takes couple of seconds just to sign a contract. For example, the so called off-chain bitcoin transactions will be what you describe and they shall be instantaneous.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 05:30:26 PM

They can't confiscate funds in the customer's private wallet. 
This is exactly what I'm saying. If you offer your customers services that help them transact from one private wallet to another without being capable of confiscating their funds if you're ordered to, then you don't comply with current regulation. You'll be tagged money launderer.
An exchange cannot possibly transfer anything from my private wallet to another private wallet.  That would be impossible without controlling my wallet, and if they control my wallet they can confiscate my funds.  And no, it is not illegal to facilitate private trade.  That would make any flee market illegal.

Show me the regulation or go away in shame.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 07:14:56 PM

But is this based on anything at all or nothing whatsoever? Is it more of a "I don't believe black swans exist in Australia, in spite of me never having been there, on the grounds that all the swans I ever saw here in England were white and none even slightly gray", or is it more of a "I heard reports of black swans, but I've investigated the various places and could find none"?

You are basically arguing that "handling" whatever that means and regulation are going to follow the smart path or avoid the stupid options? Through what thought process exactly do you come to this conclusion? It's not supported historically, or by any sort of mechanism I can think of.

Other than that, regulation is irrelevant in this discussion. We are talking about what Bitcoins are. If for instance some government comes forth with regulation requiring water to be viewed as an alcohol this won't at all change the fact that water is an oxide. It will maintain the properties of oxides (such as inflammability) and not acquire the properties of alcohols.

More narrowly, in the discussion of title, which is a term of art, nobody has any title to any Bitcoin. The working of titles does not change with regulation.

a) it's an "I look at the sheer volume traded on the exchanges" since, say, beginning of this year. since OTC-volume is recorded exactly nowhere, it's safe to assume (imho) that it's lower. you prove me wrong. o shit, that's not what you do, you just spout insults and light straw men for arguments.

b) again, please read carefully. stop lighting straw men. it doesnt matter at all what bitcoin IS and what it is not, since obviously perceptions of this change according to the use bitcoin is put forward to. what does matter, however, is how bitcoin is handled and it does of course matter very much how it is regulated. regulation relies on a very narrow set of views upon one certain matter. this very narrow set of views turns into one very narrow set of laws. of the many things bitcoin could thus be oversimplified into being, "digital property" is the one that makes the least sense for the furthering of the acceptance of bitcoin, consequently its success.
regulation will not follow the smart path (backing the fuck off). but that doesn't mean that we in this forum should further these fucktarded views by encouraging a decrepit attempt to define it.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 08:45:28 PM

a) it's an "I look at the sheer volume traded on the exchanges" since, say, beginning of this year. since OTC-volume is recorded exactly nowhere, it's safe to assume (imho) that it's lower. you prove me wrong. o shit, that's not what you do, you just spout insults and light straw men for arguments.

In this case I just nod and move on.

2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 08:48:21 PM

In this case I just nod and move on.

it's probably safe to fear you do NOT mean to leave the forums.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:52:43 PM

Unlike you, I'm actually paid to hang out with all the idiots.

2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 08:23:01 AM

Unlike you, I'm actually paid to hang out with all the idiots.

you've been looking into the abyss, it starts to show.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 02:48:52 PM

What is this thread about? Would you mind trolling somewhere else? OP would you mind removing some noise? I come here to get updates on the project, not to read personal insults between others.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 06:15:52 PM

What is this thread about? Would you mind trolling somewhere else? OP would you mind removing some noise? I come here to get updates on the project, not to read personal insults between others.
indeed, at least it bumps the thread with the hope of once actually having a pertinent update.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:28:02 PM

indeed, at least it bumps the thread with the hope of once actually having a pertinent update.

Oh look, Bitdragon.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:56:10 PM

davout, is it possible to get a list of trades with the following info for my bitcoin-central account:

• trade_id (optional but makes sense for updates and such)
  • timestamp (or at least date)
  • currency pair
  • price
  • amount
  • buy/sell

and a list of deposits and withdrawals?

Yes, email me.

I received this information from davout about a week ago.

Thanks, man, and good luck with your plans. I'll likely be sticking with you guys.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:59:09 AM

I can't get into my bitcoin-central account anymore, haven't been able to withdraw my funds yet.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 01:35:21 PM

I can't get into my bitcoin-central account anymore, haven't been able to withdraw my funds yet.

Whhy is it so ? Please elaborate (lost GA, lost pswd, else ?)

candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:26:42 PM

Our user's accounts will be protected by the "Garantie des dépôts" which is the French equivalent of the American FDIC (the insurance cap applies to each account individually, and not to the sum of all user balances, so unless your EUR balance exceeds 100kEUR your fiat is 100% insured by the French taxpayer)
Each account will in a few months get its very own IBAN number, users will be able to use it as any other bank account, have their salaries and pensions sent there and have them automatically converted to Bitcoin if they so wish)

I still wait for my "very own" IBAN number.

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 08:28:49 PM

I still wait for my "very own" IBAN number.
Well, have a seat.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: