Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:17:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Central, first exchange licensed to operate with a bank. This is HUGE  (Read 191822 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:10:29 PM

I am not writing this to bash the service or whatever (BTW I am still waiting for verification to happen for many days as well), however I have opened a ticket suggesting not to use Google fonts that are unreadable on a desktop web browser and the ticket has been sitting there forever unacknowledged and unanswered.

Even a "we will think about it" or "f*ck you we like the way numbers are garbled on the screen" would have made a difference.

This lack of communication in my opinion is detrimental to the users' trust as it feels like nobody is monitoring the platform.

My 2 cents.

You didn't even get a message to "Take your meds"?  That's odd.  I would have thought that ~davout would have coded that standard response into an auto-responder by now.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 09:16:56 PM

I am not writing this to bash the service or whatever (BTW I am still waiting for verification to happen for many days as well), however I have opened a ticket suggesting not to use Google fonts that are unreadable on a desktop web browser and the ticket has been sitting there forever unacknowledged and unanswered.

Hey, sorry about that, we actually checked it and concluded that there wasn't anything to fix on our end, apologies for forgetting to answer. It seems to be a font aliasing issue on your side, I found a Vista system to test it on and couldn't reproduce the issue, wasn't reported by anyone else either. Look into your aliasing settings and tell me if it helps.

If other people experience this issue they're welcome to comment.

You didn't even get a message to "Take your meds"?  That's odd.  I would have thought that ~davout would have coded that standard response into an auto-responder by now.

Seek some help.

DAN444

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:12:40 PM

lol
boozezela

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:22:54 AM

Hey, sorry about that, we actually checked it and concluded that there wasn't anything to fix on our end, apologies for forgetting to answer. It seems to be a font aliasing issue on your side, I found a Vista system to test it on and couldn't reproduce the issue, wasn't reported by anyone else either. Look into your aliasing settings and tell me if it helps.

If other people experience this issue they're welcome to comment.

I have noticed that every site using the Roboto fonts looked like shit using IE 10, Chrome 29 and Firefox 25, with or without ClearType, so this looked like a "system" wide problem. Then it came to my mind to check what fonts were installed in the system and I have found I had installed what was probably an old version of Roboto.

I have deleted it and now all the sites that were rendering in a problematic way look like they should.

So this was entirely my fault, sorry for the inconvenience. I hope this could help people with the same issue (and to the hell installing fonts).

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 02:22:04 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2013, 02:44:15 PM by Boussac

You didn't even get a message to "Take your meds"?  That's odd.  I would have thought that ~davout would have coded that standard response into an auto-responder by now.
Seek some help.
Put the (paranoid attention-craving tvbcof) guy where he belongs : on your ignore list.

thatbluedude

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 06:10:08 PM

davout, could you give us a rough estimate of the verification backlog?

thanks
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 07:28:12 PM

You didn't even get a message to "Take your meds"?  That's odd.  I would have thought that ~davout would have coded that standard response into an auto-responder by now.
Seek some help.
Put the (paranoid attention-craving tvbcof) guy where he belongs : on your ignore list.

I may, or may not be on a quoting kick today.
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 10:09:53 PM

davout, could you give us a rough estimate of the verification backlog?

thanks

Around 1300 people.
Around a hundred are processed every weekday but we should soon be able to have three times more handled every day.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:22:18 AM

If you provide financial services to US citizens of course you are required to comply with US laws.

Ummm, actually I do not see that logic as axiomatic as you state.

By that screwed up logic the laws of Seattle City would apply to a Seattlite while visiting Portland and the Portland City would be required to enforce them, wtf?

Surely it is about jurisdictions? Who cares where the person comes from as long they are abiding by the laws in the land where the activity is taking place? Bullies throwing their weight around is just plain ugly sometimes.

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 11:35:28 AM

If you provide financial services to US citizens of course you are required to comply with US laws.  Otherwise you see a whole bunch of exchanges servicing US customers.
If you do the business in the USSA, yes.  If the business is conducted in a different country, the laws of that country apply.  You will still have to follow your laws, your business partner has to follow the laws in his country of residence, and you both are bound by the laws in the country where the trade is conducted.  Laws in other countries do not magically apply to any of you.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 08:57:41 PM

No, they do not magically apply.  When businesses seek customers in another jurisdiction at that point they have agreed to abide by the laws in that jurisdiction (at least some of the laws depending on the circumstances).
No, there is no agreement there.  I am only bound by the laws in my own country when I do my business from here, no matter who I trade with.  I can even write stuff on the internet which is forbidden in many other countries without risking arrest, because I live in a country where I can write whatever I want legally.  No court in my country will judge me based on the laws of some other country.

If you live in an country where you are magically bound by the laws of other countries laws when doing trade, I suggest you get out of there.  There are a lot of strange laws around in really thick lawbooks in foreign languages, and there may be surprises in there for you.  Perhaps you broke some weird French law, and the police will come for you.  I wouldn't risk it.  Sounds like your country is trying to forbid trading with foreigners.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:35:25 PM

No, Milly, that is not common sense.  It is an offense against the laws of God and nature, and the arrogance of the U.S. in attempting to impose its laws upon the entire world is sheer hubris which will bring divine judgement.  You can see it already beginning.  Prepare to answer for your complicity before the judgement seat of the Almighty.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:27:11 AM

Of course any company that services US citizens by providing money services must be registered with the US Treasury Department and with some specific States depending on their specific rules.  There is no entity with the name (or "doing business as" name) of "paymium" listed as being registered to offer money services to US citizens. 

Actually, no. US laws do not apply in most of the world, you know ?

Can you explain why your company is not listed in the directory at http://www.fincen.gov/financial_institutions/msb/msbstateselector.html and what recourse there is for US citizens who claim to have lost funds trying to use your service?

- Because it doesn't have to.
- The official court of law is (probably - I didn't check) "Tribunal de Commerce de Paris - 1 quai de Corse - 75001 PARIS - France". A french lawyer might be useful.

Disclaimer : I don't have anything to do with Bitcoin Central - I am just one of their customers.

If you provide financial services to US citizens of course you are required to comply with US laws.  Otherwise you see a whole bunch of exchanges servicing US customers.

Let me guess. Mt Gox no longer serves US customers because Mark K. doesn't like baseball, hot dogs, or apple pie.

Hope I helped drive the post I quoted closer to home with my bunt. BTW, who's pitching? I'll break your nose if you say Who's...
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 03:22:18 PM

If you provide financial services to US citizens and you transfer funds from a US citizen to that financial institution then you are a money transmitter in the US and you have to register.  The same is true in the EU.  See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/your-role/EU-payments-reg.htm#2.
False.  If you provide financial services in EU or in the USSA you have to register.  It doesn't make any claim regarding where your customers happens to be located.  The laws in some non-free countries restrict trading with foreigners, but this is not common in the EU.

sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 03:30:25 PM

Let me guess. Mt Gox no longer serves US customers because Mark K. doesn't like baseball, hot dogs, or apple pie.
MtGox still serve customers in the USSA.  Yes, it is true that the USSA has enforced some restrictions on the movement of USD to and from MtGox, but MtGox still let people from the USSA trade and transfer bitcoins.  It is possible to withdraw USD as well, only delayed and with high bank fees.  Japan allows people from the US to start a company in Japan and get a Japanese bank account, which makes fiat restrictions a non-issue.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:13:59 PM

I suggest you listen to the interviews with the US Money Transmitter Association that played on Lets Talk Bitcoin.

I suggest you stfu, figure out exactly where your position is in this soup and get better sources. Preferably in that order.

There's a reason nobody gives a shit what you think on any topic. That reason isn't that you've seen some truth other people missed.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

sturle - You really need to grow up and get some common sense.  If I operate a financial institution anywhere in the world and I have customer in USA or EU and I transfer money from that person to my account I have to register as a money transmitter in the country where the customer is.
This is simply not true.  Get some common sense yourself.  I have many customers from the US, and I never registered as a money transmitter anywhere.  I use banks for all my money transmitting.  Banks are licensed as money transmitters in the countries they operate in.  My own bank has not licensed as a money transmitter in the USSA either, but sends my money via banks which have.  No special licenses are needed to exchange bitcoins in my country, and I don't need any special licence to sell abroad either.  My country has a long tradition of international trade, and it is encouraged.

If you want to believe some of the delusional people on here you are welcomed to do that.  I suggest you listen to the interviews with the US Money Transmitter Association that played on Lets Talk Bitcoin.  There are 2 long interviews in 2 different shows.  They explain the requirements that money transmitters have to go through.  You just keep repeating nonsense and if what you said was true I would be probably be trading on Kraken right now.
Sorry, but I couldn't care less about US funny-laws.  I keep to the laws of my own country, and know I won't get in trouble for that.

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:45:47 PM

[snip]
Sorry, but I couldn't care less about US funny-laws.  I keep to the laws of my own country, and know I won't get in trouble for that.

No one suggested that you should care about "US funny-laws" while doing business with US persons.  Simply that these laws exist.
The fact that you have not yet been confronted only means only that -- no one bothered yet.
There's always a time lag between breaking a law & seeing the consequences, just like with any other causal relationship.  It's the nature of this temporal reality.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:56:53 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 08:19:27 PM by tvbcof

[snip]
Sorry, but I couldn't care less about US funny-laws.  I keep to the laws of my own country, and know I won't get in trouble for that.

No one suggested that you should care about "US funny-laws" while doing business with US persons.  Simply that these laws exist.
The fact that you have not yet been confronted only means only that -- no one bothered yet.
There's always a time lag between breaking a law & seeing the consequences, just like with any other causal relationship.  It's the nature of this temporal reality.

The Bitcoin ecosystem is filled with business people who started out intending to 'stick it to the man' and ended up as cowed cheerleaders instead.  Those who were not able to make the jump have largely exited the industry.

Edit - 'exited the industry' with a lot of former customer's money often enough, I might add.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:41:24 PM

The Bitcoin ecosystem is filled with business people who started out intending to 'stick it to the man' and ended up as cowed cheerleaders instead.  Those who were not able to make the jump have largely exited the industry.

You describe two categories of peanuts.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: