Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:05:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ħ [HODL] No Staking, 1% Standard Interest per Day, 750% APR For HOdlers  (Read 472773 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 04:21:41 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/

>Motions can be used to give or withold permission from devs to make changes to HOdlcoin. The blockchain has no army, so it cannot compel action nor inaction, but it represents the collective voice of HOdlers and so has standing. It is a transfer of some power from devs and miners to HOdlers.

As a dev, whether I volunteer my time and effort to make changes will depend on a lot of factors, but as github admin, I'll certainly merge changes that have been permitted by the Nutocracy. If you are a dev and want to make hard forking changes that are permitted, that's fine, but you'll need a complete and credible plan.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wisebc

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 04:42:29 PM

I've a motion that I'd like HOdler's input on -

http://nutocracy.herokuapp.com/arguments/that-an-open-source-gpu-solo-miner-would-be-a-welcome-development

Previously I hadn't encouraged the development of a GPU miner software as my judgement was that GPU miners would likely be dumpers. Now that miners will be required to be HOdlers, I think a GPU miner would be a welcome development as it will help to raise the network hashrate in the absence of pool dumpers. Please vote your views on this issue. The motion is advisory in nature.

makes sence, hodled "Aye!"  Smiley

I don't think I'm going to vote anymore.  All these decisions are being steamrolled one way or the other by the top hodlers.  My vote means nothing up against someone with 20 times the voting power that I have so what's the point?

There's no other reliable way to do it. However, voting is only part of a Nutocracy, active discussion and debate is vital too. I think the course of the recent fork was steered significantly by discussion from a drastic cut in block rewards to hodling block rewards. It might be for smaller hodlers that they have greater impact through influence and persuasion of larger hodlers.

So ok, if I'm reading the charts correctly there are roughly 55 Million Hodls in future matured value, so 55 Million Hodls worth of voting power.  How did you justify setting the "Enact" bar at 5 Million in voting power?  If you were really interested in a representation of the 'voice' of the Hodlers, that bar should have been set at somewhere around 30 Million so you get a clear majority.  Because that 5 million arbitrary number was met with just the first 10 big Hodlers who voted on that side (10 out of 2362 HODlers!  That's 0.4%!), and your total voted on that side (about 6.1 million) only represents about 11% of the 'voices' of the HOdlers.  At the very least it would have provided more time for the "active discussion and debate" and the "influence and persuasion" you speak of.  You still have time before the fork, put this on HODL and open up the voting again on that measure.  If you truly believe that the future of this coin should be ruled by Nutocracy, then put your HODL where your mouth is and get 30 Million in votes.  THAT will quiet some of the critics (including me) of this whole process.

Suh

Activity: 146

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 04:44:40 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/

>Motions can be used to give or withold permission from devs to make changes to HOdlcoin. The blockchain has no army, so it cannot compel action nor inaction, but it represents the collective voice of HOdlers and so has standing. It is a transfer of some power from devs and miners to HOdlers.

As a dev, whether I volunteer my time and effort to make changes will depend on a lot of factors, but as github admin, I'll certainly merge changes that have been permitted by the Nutocracy. If you are a dev and want to make hard forking changes that are permitted, that's fine, but you'll need a complete and credible plan.

Who all does not need a complete and credible plan, or possibly more importantly, who determines if a plan is complete and credible?

Join CFinex, buy some shares in the project and earn income!
https://cfinex.com/
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 04:54:42 PM

http://nutocracy.herokuapp.com/arguments/that-an-open-source-gpu-solo-miner-would-be-a-welcome-development

Previously I hadn't encouraged the development of a GPU miner software as my judgement was that GPU miners would likely be dumpers. Now that miners will be required to be HOdlers, I think a GPU miner would be a welcome development as it will help to raise the network hashrate in the absence of pool dumpers. Please vote your views on this issue. The motion is advisory in nature.

I don't think I'm going to vote anymore.  All these decisions are being steamrolled one way or the other by the top hodlers.  My vote means nothing up against someone with 20 times the voting power that I have so what's the point?

There's no other reliable way to do it. However, voting is only part of a Nutocracy, active discussion and debate is vital too. I think the course of the recent fork was steered significantly by discussion from a drastic cut in block rewards to hodling block rewards. It might be for smaller hodlers that they have greater impact through influence and persuasion of larger hodlers.

So ok, if I'm reading the charts correctly there are roughly 55 Million Hodls in future matured value, so 55 Million Hodls worth of voting power.  How did you justify setting the "Enact" bar at 5 Million in voting power?  If you were really interested in a representation of the 'voice' of the Hodlers, that bar should have been set at somewhere around 30 Million so you get a clear majority.  Because that 5 million arbitrary number was met with just the first 10 big Hodlers who voted on that side (10 out of 2362 HODlers!  That's 0.4%!), and your total voted on that side (about 6.1 million) only represents about 11% of the 'voices' of the HOdlers.  At the very least it would have provided more time for the "active discussion and debate" and the "influence and persuasion" you speak of.  You still have time before the fork, put this on HODL and open up the voting again on that measure.  If you truly believe that the future of this coin should be ruled by Nutocracy, then put your HODL where your mouth is and get 30 Million in votes.  THAT will quiet some of the critics (including me) of this whole process.

I'm going to start collecting publishing answers on the reddit thread and referring there as I think the answers are getting lost here, so questions are being repeated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qpx9g/we_hodl_that_block_rewards_should_remain/d5308rz

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/d530kic

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
wisebc

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:02:07 PM

Well, than again, someone who has 20x voting power also has 20x higher risk when something goes wrong. Did you think of it that way?

And happening to have jumped into HODL very early on, or having access to superior mining equipment, or simply being able to buy HODL straight out in large quantities makes that person more informed in the ways of the crypto world, or gives them keener insight into the effects of doing something drastic like this hard fork, or what the effect of a GPU miner will have on the HODL market?  Having money (or in this case HODL) does not make you smarter or more capable of making decisions like this.  All of our investments in time and money are at risk here, not just those who are sitting at the top of the list.  And as I said previously, a lot of the people urging as hard as they could to slow down and think about these things instead of charging forward are the best and brightest IN this little crypto world (I am not among them, but I can see pretty easily who those people are).  They may not be holding all the HODL, but they certainly know what they're talking about.  So who do you think we should be listening to?  

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:07:16 PM

Who all does not need a complete and credible plan, or possibly more importantly, who determines if a plan is complete and credible?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/d530vi9

dclone

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:24:24 PM

makes sence, hodled "Aye!"  Smiley

I don't think I'm going to vote anymore.  All these decisions are being steamrolled one way or the other by the top hodlers.  My vote means nothing up against someone with 20 times the voting power that I have so what's the point?

Well, than again, someone who has 20x voting power also has 20x higher risk when something goes wrong. Did you think of it that way?

And happening to have jumped into HODL very early on, or having access to superior mining equipment, or simply being able to buy HODL straight out in large quantities makes that person more informed in the ways of the crypto world, or gives them keener insight into the effects of doing something drastic like this hard fork, or what the effect of a GPU miner will have on the HODL market?  Having money (or in this case HODL) does not make you smarter or more capable of making decisions like this.  All of our investments in time and money are at risk here, not just those who are sitting at the top of the list.  And as I said previously, a lot of the people urging as hard as they could to slow down and think about these things instead of charging forward are the best and brightest IN this little crypto world (I am not among them, but I can see pretty easily who those people are).  They may not be holding all the HODL, but they certainly know what they're talking about.  So who do you think we should be listening to?  

It's even worse than you are describing. Voting appears to be based on the future value of coins, not the actual amount held by someone. So the people who got in with insane interest rates will always control the vote even though they have very few actual coins right now. So if those big bag holders vote that anyone will less than 1M HODL will have their terms extended by a year, they could.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:35:39 PM

makes sence, hodled "Aye!"  Smiley

I don't think I'm going to vote anymore.  All these decisions are being steamrolled one way or the other by the top hodlers.  My vote means nothing up against someone with 20 times the voting power that I have so what's the point?

It's even worse than you are describing. Voting appears to be based on the future value of coins, not the actual amount held by someone. So the people who got in with insane interest rates will always control the vote even though they have very few actual coins right now. So if those big bag holders vote that anyone will less than 1M HODL will have their terms extended by a year, they could.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/d532lld

fittsy

Activity: 441
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 05:43:36 PM

GPU miners need to pay for electricity.

There are 194 other coins GPU miners would prefer to mine other than this one.

The ONLY value to HOdl is that it is a CPU mined coin. If you make it GPU mined it will have no value at all.

MinerParts - 8 GPU Riserless motherboard with Intel 3855 CPU - 1600w fully modular power supply
Best quality PCIe Powered Risers Shop on Amazon - Shop on eBay - or ship direct at MinerParts.com <- best for international or crypto purchases
wisebc

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:46:17 PM

I'm going to start collecting publishing answers on the reddit thread and referring there as I think the answers are getting lost here, so questions are being repeated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qpx9g/we_hodl_that_block_rewards_should_remain/d5308rz

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/d530kic

"FAQ: Why are only 10% of HOdlings are required to pass a motion?

10% on one side of a motion is reflective of a 20% turnout. Having been involved in voting coins before, I know this is a very high engagement for any vote. Setting any higher might set the bar too high for passing any controversial motion."

The problem with this logic is that you are comparing apples to oranges here.  If there are 100 eligible voters and you get 20 to come out and vote, THEN you have a 20% turnout.  You have 60 voters (total from both sides) out of 2362 eligible voters, which is a 2.5% turnout.  You are talking about 10% of voting power based on HOdlings, which is not the same thing as getting a 20% turnout of eligible voters.  2.5% is NOT a representative vote, and this is exactly why so many people are upset.  You threw up Nutocracy, something which a lot of people weren't familiar with or at the very least didn't understand how to use (and still don't!), then plastered that same voting system with a big warning telling people effectively that if they voted they were going to lose their coins to hackers which discouraged them from voting, created arbitrary guidelines for the adoption of a measure, created a measure to do something drastic, and then declared it to be the will of the people after 10 people out of 2362 voted for it in the span of two days and then distributed and required the change.  Do you see how this looks from the outside?

Again, if you truly believe in this voting system, then follow your own words!  Get your 20% (total) turnout of eligible voters, and THEN look for your HOdling amount to determine if it should pass.  So 20% turnout of eligible voters total, AND 10% minimum of Hodling power on a side, AND more yes votes than no votes.  That seems to be more than fair doesn't it?  Your big HOdlers still get to sway the vote in a big way, but they can't run away with it as they have done already.

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:51:54 PM

"FAQ: Why are only 10% of HOdlings are required to pass a motion?

10% on one side of a motion is reflective of a 20% turnout. Having been involved in voting coins before, I know this is a very high engagement for any vote. Setting any higher might set the bar too high for passing any controversial motion."

The problem with this logic is that you are comparing apples to oranges here.  If there are 100 eligible voters and you get 20 to come out and vote, THEN you have a 20% turnout.  You have 60 voters (total from both sides) out of 2362 eligible voters, which is a 2.5% turnout.  You are talking about 10% of voting power based on HOdlings, which is not the same thing as getting a 20% turnout of eligible voters.  2.5% is NOT a representative vote, and this is exactly why so many people are upset.  You threw up Nutocracy, something which a lot of people weren't familiar with or at the very least didn't understand how to use (and still don't!), then plastered that same voting system with a big warning telling people effectively that if they voted they were going to lose their coins to hackers which discouraged them from voting, created arbitrary guidelines for the adoption of a measure, created a measure to do something drastic, and then declared it to be the will of the people after 10 people out of 2362 voted for it in the span of two days and then distributed and required the change.  Do you see how this looks from the outside?

Again, if you truly believe in this voting system, then follow your own words!  Get your 20% (total) turnout of eligible voters, and THEN look for your HOdling amount to determine if it should pass.  So 20% turnout of eligible voters total, AND 10% minimum of Hodling power on a side, AND more yes votes than no votes.  That seems to be more than fair doesn't it?  Your big HOdlers still get to sway the vote in a big way, but they can't run away with it as they have done already.

These is an interesting point, and I've thought about it carefully, but as mentioned this kind of debate will happen over and over again and I don't want to repeat myself, so only going to continue this debate on the reddit thread.

dclone

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:53:15 PM

FAQ: Can HOdlers vote to steal other HOdler's HOdlings?

I think we'd need to take precedence from company law - I'm pretty sure shareholders can't vote for the 51% to appropriate the shares of the 49%. Ideally we'd want some sort of constitution as to what motions can be valid, and what can't, but in the absence of that, I'd say whatever changes shareholders can typically make in a corporation are a good way to decide.

And yet, that is exactly what just happened. A small number of large HODLers voted to deprive all miners of earnings in order to try to prop up the value of their coins, sacrificing the integrity and long-term value of the coin in the process. If I were writing a "constitution" for a voting coin, rule #1 would be that one class of user cannot vote to punish another class of user for their own personal gain. And that is exactly what has been done.

These is an interesting point, and I've thought about it carefully, but as mentioned this kind of debate will happen over and over again and I don't want to repeat myself, so only going to continue this debate on the reddit thread.

Why not link Reddit to here for discussion. This is where the conversation started. Why run to another forum rather than answer here?
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 05:58:37 PM

GPU miners need to pay for electricity.

There are 194 other coins GPU miners would prefer to mine other than this one.

The ONLY value to HOdl is that it is a CPU mined coin. If you make it GPU mined it will have no value at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4rpxie/we_hodl_that_an_open_source_gpu_solo_miner_would/d533mtb

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2016, 06:03:58 PM

FAQ: Can HOdlers vote to steal other HOdler's HOdlings?

I think we'd need to take precedence from company law - I'm pretty sure shareholders can't vote for the 51% to appropriate the shares of the 49%. Ideally we'd want some sort of constitution as to what motions can be valid, and what can't, but in the absence of that, I'd say whatever changes shareholders can typically make in a corporation are a good way to decide.

And yet, that is exactly what just happened. A small number of large HODLers voted to deprive all miners of earnings in order to try to prop up the value of their coins, sacrificing the integrity and long-term value of the coin in the process. If I were writing a "constitution" for a voting coin, rule #1 would be that one class of user cannot vote to punish another class of user for their own personal gain. And that is exactly what has been done.

Why not link Reddit to here for discussion. This is where the conversation started. Why run to another forum rather than answer here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hodl/comments/4qrfny/nutocracy_of_the_nuts_for_the_nuts_and_by_the/d533zl4

fittsy

Activity: 441
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 06:22:59 PM

I'm increasingly more scared of HOdl and @freetrade

I am beginning to see too many holes in this. I'm moving all cpu mining away from HOdl.

MinerParts - 8 GPU Riserless motherboard with Intel 3855 CPU - 1600w fully modular power supply
Best quality PCIe Powered Risers Shop on Amazon - Shop on eBay - or ship direct at MinerParts.com <- best for international or crypto purchases
Daffadile

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2016, 01:23:33 AM

The wallet works well. It has everything you need in it. Mine right from the wallets gui. You can also make your investment deposits right there too. It is nice to be able to do everything in one place without mucking around like other devs sometimes do but I guess some of them can be forgiven if it was still beta. Good job !

does fork 86000 mean mining takes a year  Huh

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 05:33:26 AM

Interesting video and discussion on /r/btc on this today -
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4rrqxu/does_anyone_find_it_odd_that_peter_todd_suggested/

dclone

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 05:56:44 AM

Very interesting indeed:

It's an interesting idea. In Dash, it has the obvious problem that Dash was instamined for millions of coins in a matter of hours after release, so those devs and extremely early adopters will be able to have more of a vote than others and for cheaper. But there's a more fundamental and philosophical problem with it to me. With a stake holder vote, your governance becomes a plutocracy (where rich people have all the say in decision making).

Do we think it's a good thing that rich people should have a bigger vote than poor people in governance?

Same applies here. I have no doubt it's the Devs who control many of the voting coins. But even if not, it's very few "rich" people controlling the vote right now. Voting to screw over the majority (anyone still mining) to benefit the few large coin holders is precisely the reason why it's a bad idea.
ksmd

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 06:46:59 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2016, 02:59:37 PM by ksmd

I am beginning to see too many holes in this. I'm moving all cpu mining away from HOdl.

Hi there,

First of all I would like to thank @FreeTrade for an amazing job and innovation.
Usually I am more a forums reader than writer but here, because the whole idea of HOdlcoin is very interesting and fresh, I would like to speak up little bit.

For all of us who are so scared and dissapointed with upcoming hard fork, I just want to say that:
Indeed coin is still on the early stage and understanding it looking only by prism of bitcoin can be bit tricky.

Newly mined blocks are going to be Hodled for a year, but you still can have a frequent income of free 50 HODL not doing anything.

I am personally allergic to people who are just expecting and wanting stuff but not giving anything to the community - that's in general.
...so in my understanding, if you are interested in HOdlcoin, you are also up to invest some money to support the idea:

ATM:
HODL daily rate = 0.34%
0.1412 BTC = 7400 HODL = $90 (make it $45 or $180, whatever floats your boat!)
7400 HODL= 25.16 HODL daily income
This way you have extra 50 HODL every second day without mining and without deposits for a year.

On top of that you still have a main option of a deposit with high interest!

Obviously every cryptocurrency is a risk, so I guess no-one is expecting here a "piggy-bank guarantees".
joehoebot

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2016, 10:22:49 AM

good. more hodls for me then.
 Grin

I am CPU mining Aquachain right now. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3138231
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: