Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:36:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: "Everyone already knows about bitcoin" no.. no they do not..  (Read 14823 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 07:57:56 PM

Every time I go to the bank I like to ask them if they have heard of BTC, most of the time the answer is no.   
I do ask a lot of people about BTC.. a restaurant near me.. near ish use to accept it as well, I asked to pay with it, they said it no longer exists.. .... ...

Most people I find still have zero idea what BTC is unless they are friends with the likes of us.. I don't think we are even in early adoption stage.. we are in "the chasm" .. it would appear we are going to survive though... appear anyways..

I dunno just something I have taken note of. 

Pretty much everyone that has heard of it assumes it's worth like 5 cents and shits themselves when I say it's $1k (Cad) .. we are in very interesting times with BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frankmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die...

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:09:03 PM

Here most people have heard about it and the blockchain technology has passed the news several times.
But having heard about it and knowing what it is, is different. People here do know the value and the unpredictability of the currency, from which I think it is holding them back to look deeper in it.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:11:56 PM

many will have heard the word in passing. they won't know what it means. i think it'll be at least 5-10 years before it dawns on a small number of people in global terms.
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:23:45 PM

And even when you do occasionally find someone that does know or has heard of bitcoin, many times they don't "really" know about bitcoin. Their knowledge consists of the usual fud talking points and misconceptions they've heard from talking heads on tv and so-called economic and market experts say about bitcoin.

I think these people also contribute to the current state of early adoption phase as they will also eventually come around when they finally realize, bitcoin is legit.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2016, 08:34:32 PM

Anyone know where is located Nauru Island or Belize in this world? No.. No they do not
Anyone know what is their currency? No.. They do not
Anyone know the previous president of Philippines? No.. They do not

Of course you will find people who know theses informations but the majority didn't
Bitcoin went famous in the media when the price was around $1200, before that it wasn't that known (same goes for my last example)
When they built cars for the first time, not everyone was having one, and for sure people in some place around the world didn't heard about it.
It is a matter of time gentleman, everyone will hear about it one day, just wait for the big push  Wink

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:40:52 PM

most people have not heard about it. some have heard about it, but could not explain what it is. bitcoin is still in a state where it can go both ways. bitcoin dies and people were right to ignore it or it will become known and people will be hating themselves for not having invested in the early days.

LilibethSantos

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2016, 08:43:40 PM

Every time I go to the bank I like to ask them if they have heard of BTC, most of the time the answer is no.  
I do ask a lot of people about BTC.. a restaurant near me.. near ish use to accept it as well, I asked to pay with it, they said it no longer exists.. .... ...

Most people I find still have zero idea what BTC is unless they are friends with the likes of us.. I don't think we are even in early adoption stage.. we are in "the chasm" .. it would appear we are going to survive though... appear anyways..

Pretty much everyone that has heard of it assumes it's worth like 5 cents and shits themselves when I say it's $1k (Cad) .. we are in very interesting times with BTC.

A lot of people that know about bitcoins are tech savvy or follow financial news. I am surprised by the amount of people that know about bitcoins within my own social circle.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:56:02 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2016, 09:08:17 PM by franky1

well many know of the dollar.
but around the world 6.6billion do not know how many loaves of bread you can buy with $10 (only about 320mill truely know.. roughly)
but around the world 7billion do not know that its mortgages/loans that are the route of money creaction (only sat 100mill know roughly)

so even though people "know" the dollar.. they dont actually KNOW the dollar.

same goes for any currency, including bitcoin.
you may hear it exists and is used by millions but dont expect people to know how it works or its "values"

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2016, 09:01:29 PM

This doesn't really tell us anything

You ask strangers about Bitcoin and expect them to make a clean breast of using it? Would you yourself tell anyone whom you don't know altogether if they asked you exactly the same question? I'm strongly inclined to think that most bitcoiners would feign total innocence and ask in reply what is it and that they hear about Bitcoin for the first time in their entire life. Really, why would anyone want to know if you are using Bitcoin? In fact, once upon a time I was asked essentially the same question, though not by a stranger but by a friend of sorts, and I answered with the most possible indifference, as if in passing, that I heard something about it being a virtual digital currency

sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:02:08 PM

Not surprising that they haven't heard of it. None of my family members know much about it either except for the fact that it has some value. The only people who follow the internet news would have likely heard about it. Its very rare to have a new article about it too.
alecmerkel

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:07:25 PM

People barely know how to use the chip in their debit cards. This is why bitcoin still has a lot of growth before it becomes a common form of payment.

Also, they very thing we love about bitcoin (decentralization) is the very thing that keeps many people away from it.
FlightyPouch

Activity: 1638
Merit: 300

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:12:17 PM

People here in our province dont really know what btc is, well some of them know it, some really want it and some just really dont care. I think if someone here introduces btc that is having fortune through it, it will make these people interested. But the problem is, not all people here knows how to use computers. Some people here do jobs like farming and agricultural jobs. They really dont care in computers, especially bitcoins

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:19:01 PM

Just trying to say I think we are here.. With the price on a steady rise.. I think we are going to move out of the chasm.. Hold onto your hats.  Also that chasm is in the wrong section with a % at way higher then we are at.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:21:18 PM

it's definitely felt very chasmy over the last few years, but perhaps there are also mini chasms in each degree of that scale. personally i think we're in a chasm of the innovator phase. we haven't even started to early adopt yet.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:45:59 PM

Yeah a lot of people are trapped in the bitcoin bubble and think that everyone has heard about it.  i would have to say that the only people who know about bitcoin in my circle of friends would be those that i have told.
kumax

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

🚀 🌏

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:48:42 PM

From my experience, I think it starts to be better and better within last one or two years. For example few weeks ago, I saw a BTC ATM machine in a shopping centre in Prague (Czech Republic). I think you can find aprox. 3-4 ATMs in the city already! Many people are passing the ATM machines with BTC sign every day, so I believe it will increase the general knowledge about the topic. On the other hand, recently, our minister of finance said on public, he didn't know what bitcoin is, so it's sad when even the leaders of finance sector don't know, that bitcoin exists. Cheesy Good thing about the story is, after that there were many articles in newspapers and on the web about bitcoin and people were more interested, and then somebody took a photo of the minister trying to buy some bitcoins from the ATM machine.  Grin
I think these small things make a difference and I believe bitcoin will be adopted (at least by early majority), within next 5-10 years. But now it's up to us, inovators or early adopters to promote our belowed cryptocurrency. Grin
charmingfreddie

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:23:31 PM

It takes a lot more to go mainstream than people knowing about it. People need hand holding and support ongoing.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:24:09 PM

Just trying to say I think we are here.. With the price on a steady rise.. I think we are going to move out of the chasm.. Hold onto your hats.  Also that chasm is in the wrong section with a % at way higher then we are at.

nah.. i think this is a better realisation. and yes the labels have shifted for a good reason

we have had alot of "bug fixing".. but innovation has only just begun.
and im not talking about sidechains or LN. im talking about ONCHAIN features. like better smart contracts and better ONCHAIN capacity

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
myparentsdisownedme

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:34:30 PM

Do you really ask a lot of people about it? I always assume most over 40 doesn't know
Capradina

Activity: 756
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:40:39 PM

You don't have to worry for the growth of the bitcoin, because everything is already in the stage of growth so that all is not something difficult for bitcoin to be accepted by everyone. Most people who do not yet have the level of popularity will certainly be difficult to convict all those who haven't come to know something they have yet to know. So give a very massive advertising and does not indicate that we are doing the introduction of bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: