May 10, 2024, 10:11:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 29854 29855 29856 29857 29858 29859 29860 29861 29862 29863 29864 29865 29866 29867 29868 29869 29870 29871 29872 29873 29874 29875 29876 29877 29878 29879 29880 29881 29882 29883 29884 29885 29886 29887 29888 29889 29890 29891 29892 29893 29894 29895 29896 29897 29898 29899 29900 29901 29902 29903 [29904] 29905 29906 29907 29908 29909 29910 29911 29912 29913 29914 29915 29916 29917 29918 29919 29920 29921 29922 29923 29924 29925 29926 29927 29928 29929 29930 29931 29932 29933 29934 29935 29936 29937 29938 29939 29940 29941 29942 29943 29944 29945 29946 29947 29948 29949 29950 29951 29952 29953 29954 ... 33340 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381463 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 06:54:30 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2021, 07:06:06 PM by Biodom

I am not quite sure how they ported the phone.

I suspect they used tracfone had the cell number  hoped by getting the email

that the email linked to tracfone and to coinbase was the same

so if they hack just the email

they could try to port the cell to their carrier.

then get into coinbase change password and use 2fa to allow withdraws and alter the email

Best to buy a burner phone set up google to microsoft auth.

the coinbase account does not know that phone number so no one can port it over to another network.

Sorry that it happened, but I cannot figure it out from your description.
coinbase did have some SMS troubles last May or so, maybe it is somehow related.

The ported phone would jeopardize both methods (text or Authenticator), wouldn't it?
what's the "email linked to tracfone"? why there is such a thing?

...I do have an email/phone account so they could have ported the phone from trac phone to Verizon mobile by entering my cell number

They could have hacked the email using recovery to the phone.

Is this coinbase system so bizzaredly inadequate?
the pnone can be ported JUST by knowing a cell number?
the email can be reset just by providing a cell number?
This sounds outlandish.
EDIT: nevermind, it happens that email recovery was linked to the phone number, that seems to the gist of the problem (together with porting), but using auth for withdrawal saved the day, thankfully.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7865

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I am glad I required all coin withdrawals to use the auth. app .

I fucking hate all 2fa bs as it weakens my security.

Huh

microsoft auth can be on any phone

not the same as sms text 2fa

The cell you use for the microsoft app  basically makes the code like a yubi.

but all sms text  2fa = bs

right now the ported phone has other accounts that I am Locked out of til I recover the phone via reporting back to be.

then signing onto the other accounts  changing out to some other Security .

I can't do Id me as my driver photo is old (fucking covid I can't go to DMV for new photo) and is not a good match for a selfie.

So the other accounts (no $$$ or coin involved) allow 2fa via sms text or id.me

Since the phone number is ported I can't get in to do another phone
and id me is like fuck you.

You know what really pisses me off is I am the only person on the planet with my name as it is rare.  Yet 2fa is keeping the only person in the world with the proper name and address out of accounts.

as I said these do not involve $$$ but I want to alter the corrupted phone number and would lock myself out of the accounts for weeks if I report this or wait and hope o get my phone back long enough to fix those accounts.  and not a single account  was ever on the phones just on a fully secured pc
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:01:27 PM

Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10233

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:03:04 PM

The problem I have with PlanB is he has a habit of moving the goalposts ...

https://twitter.com/100trillionUSD/status/1407634975051157506

Quote from: PlanB on Twitter June 2021
"I will call s2f invalidated if we have not reached 100K by Dec this year ..."

I agree.

Now he's saying that as long as the price trudges along the "lower bound" aka $40-50K, it's still valid. But look at his chart, it could literally still do that and go sideways until mid-2024.

Which is what I've been saying all along. His $100K by Christmas 2021 scenario was never a certainty. But he did say that it was or else S2F invalid.

An EOY parabolic run was expected by the majority, so the market was inclined to go another direction.

Isn't this the trap that the n00bs fall into literally every bull run tho?

Bitcoin no does not do sideways.

So whether you or PlanB would be saying sideways until 2024 that sounds like a ridiculously unlikely scenario, and either of you would be looney or out of touch with reality to be saying it.

The last that I heard is that PlanB was expecting an average of $100k for this halvening period, and we are slightly less than half way through the period.. so surely it is interesting to see if such an average could be achieved.. and for sure if our price has already been quite lower than half of the median expected amount, then it would have a lot of price to make up for the second half of the period.. and still I would NOT be suggesting that those $100k median prices are impossible... even if they might seem like a stretch currently and even if maybe we were to end up getting a median price that ends up way lower than $100k.. even a median of something like $80k would probably not feel like a failure to a lot of us.. especially since anything close to reality based models are already known to be be guidelines rather than guaranteed.

And, by the way, fuck the noobs or anyone who would be so gullible to consider something like PlanB's model to be anything close to guaranteed, and fuck the attempts to ascribe that level of gullibility to a lot of us folks who believe that PlanB's model still remains amongst the best of the BTC price prediction models currently in existence.. even if there are likely anecdotal examples of some folks who ascribe way too high of levels of certainty to such models.. or thinking that such models need to meet the exact levels of averages that PlanB ascribed in order to NOT be failures...   

Oh.. I was just thinking that it could be that we end up having something like $50k average for this halvening period.. and surely at that point maybe aspects of PlanB's model might need to be reconsidered.. and so 50% performance from the expectations of the model might well be considered as a possible failure.. perhaps?  perhaps?  I personally am not even willing to consider a $50k average (if it were to occur) for this halvening period as a failure yet.. let's see how the second half of this halvening period plays out..   Surely, we do not seem to be in any kind of bad place in spit of so much of the doom and gloom and seemingly wishful thinkings about the supposed death of a model.. how many times does oh gawd have to be said on this topic?..... even though it still remains interesting to see where we have been, where we are at and where we might well be going into the coming quarters.. and surely stretching to the rest of this halvening period.

Edit:  I see that Gachapin makes some similar points as me, but still his framings are a bit different on some of the points, so I will just leave my above response "as originally drafted."
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:11:33 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), Torque (1), Gachapin (1)

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:22:39 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2021, 07:34:56 PM by Torque

I agree.

Now he's saying that as long as the price trudges along the "lower bound" aka $40-50K, it's still valid. But look at his chart, it could literally still do that and go sideways until mid-2024.

Which is what I've been saying all along. His $100K by Christmas 2021 scenario was never a certainty. But he did say that it was or else S2F invalid.

An EOY parabolic run was expected by the majority, so the market was inclined to go another direction.

So whether you or PlanB would be saying sideways until 2024 that sounds like a ridiculously unlikely scenario, and either of you would be looney or out of touch with reality to be saying it.

You misunderstood, J.

I did not say it would go sideways until mid-2024. I said that PlanB is saying that if the price were to stay in the lower bounds of his S2F model, that it would still be valid. And that if you look at the lower bounds of the $40-55k range on his chart, it extends out until mid-2024.

So ask yourself, what is HE saying then? But I guess we're the looney/out of touch ones, not him?

Oh.. I was just thinking that it could be that we end up having something like $50k average for this halvening period.. and surely at that point maybe aspects of PlanB's model might need to be reconsidered.. and so 50% performance from the expectations of the model might well be considered as a possible failure.. perhaps?  perhaps?  I personally am not even willing to consider a $50k average (if it were to occur) for this halvening period as a failure yet.. let's see how the second half of this halvening period plays out..  

PlanB is who made the initial claims, and is now moving the goalposts. Why should you conform to his redefinition of success or failure of the S2F model along with him?

Now, do I personally think it'll stay in this price range all the way to mid 2024? Well of course not. I don't even think it'll stay here all the way through next year.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:37:15 PM
Merited by Gachapin (1)

I want an NFT to a native American cave wall painting. Or to Neil Armstrong's boot print on the moon.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2940

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:46:15 PM

Careful what you wish for, lest you get the boot.

Tongue
dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:49:19 PM

Huh

It's still 2FA; two-factor authentication. TOTP based specifically, not SMS based.

Quote from: Microsoft app
The Microsoft Authenticator app also supports the industry standard for time-based, one-time passcodes (also known as TOTP or OTP).

This is where the confusion lies. 2FA saved your btc, don't hate on it  Wink

Sounds like TOTP
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:53:28 PM

Regarding ease of use
I had that thought again a few days ago, when I sent some transactions.
"Why do I have to check these awful random strings of numbers and letters... why couldn't addresses be displayed like seed words or so"
My hope is that HW makers come up with a solution for that.

But Bitcoin development itself has stalled quite a bit in this area.
Of course, Bitcoin is not the place to try out every new idea, just to see how it goes. But I agree... more could have been done.

I guess many Devs rather work for shitcoin projects and get rich... market forces.
Probably there should be some kind of reward program paying BTC devs, when some of their ideas get implemented.
I wouldn't know how that should work, or specifically look like, but building something like that should be a community effort.

Yeah I agree. There have been attempts in the past to try to make addresses easier to use, but they all had attack vectors and compromises.

Alas, I don't really see a good solution until banks start to allow btc to be stored in online accounts, with multi-level security protocols in place to make sure btc can't leave without adequate validation of the true account holder. Banks would also have to integrate something like Lightning rails in order to make transactions fast.

But of course even if they did this, it violates the whole "hold your own keys, be your own bank" original purpose of Bitcoin. Not like the masses would even care, though.
Tash

Activity: 1190
Merit: 305

Pro financial, medical liberty

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 07:54:30 PM

Yes old school is the way to go. Makes zero sense rip up a note and give part of it someone else to look after. Defeats whole purpose of Bitcoin.
After some battle with a Chinese exchage years ago the issue was done with. Gold coins/bar do just fine without.
Dont have more as spendig money in my purse why would be more on a phone wallet.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:01:28 PM

Explanation
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:04:48 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), psycodad (1)

The most important advantage in them is hard to see at first:  Secure XPRV (seed, XPUB etc) generation.  Hardware wallets are the ONLY foolproof way to make a bitcoin seed.  So far there is no other way that is safe, that also is not prohibitively difficult/risky.

I get your point and agree. But what if the hardware wallet has a whole bunch of predefined seeds, and one day are all swiped empty? What if the seed generation turns out to be not truly random?

(using an extended passphrase on top of the seed mostly solves this, and/or multisig)

Printing the BIP-39 words and draw them from a hat can't be messed with and is rather fool proof.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:07:21 PM

most of my coins are in hardware wallets.

I just happened to have the large sum on coinbase prepping to spend on mine expansion.

Since there are four of us and we are buying a large amount of gear I had four shares of coins prepped to convert to fiat to buy the order.

tracfone confirmed the phone was ported to verizon. it was a locked tracfone which should not have ported over  yet it did.

I did notice three attempted logins to my email over the last few months.

and that it was on a different unknown to anyone phone number.

as jjg said other moves are doable on an account secured the way I did but my coinbase does not have coinbase pro.

I intentionally only use a pc. zero phone access to
pay anything.

I am strictly old school. but these fuckers force shit on you.

synched accounts etc.

If i was setup that way I could have lost a lot.

Sometimes there can be some aspects of luck in terms of whether something that you did or failed to do had allowed for enough breaches in order for the hacker(s) to find access to some of your coins.

For my early 2017 hackening, I recall that I had some coins on a blockchain.com wallet, and if you recall in 2013-ish blockchain.com would send you an e-mail recovery for your account and I believe that they recommended to remove that recovery to off-line, and for some reason I had created two different blockchain.com wallets, and I had been pretty sure that my funds had been removed from the wallets - and I was also a bit nervous about even attempting to access the account until I had access to my phone number back because I did not want to cause a situation in which I ended up either locking myself out of the wallets or that I ended up giving up a kind of secret in case the hackers were able to get into one of my accounts again.

So on a bit of a side note, I am pretty sure that my phone number had gotten jeopardized, and then I got it locked a few times, and then the hackers were able to get it unlocked again a few times, and so when I went to regain access to my phone number, my phone company had wanted to verify that I took a variety of safety measures first.. which I did and then I got my phone number back..

So getting back to my blockchain.com (.info) account, I was able to access my account, and I had gotten lucky that I had moved my backup seed into my archives, so the ONLY wallet that the hackers could have gotten would have been the second account/wallet that I had created, which did not have any balance of coins therein.  I felt that I got lucky on that one because even blochain.com (info) had a weak way of sending your backup over e-mail.. which could have been jeopardized and maybe even the creator might not have realized where the weakness had been.  Needless to say, after I had gotten back access to that blockchain.com wallet with all the coins therein, I figured out some better storage means for those coins.. and surely I had ended up learning quite a bit that I should have already known prior to the hack but for some reason I was not inspired to learn (maybe even scared to make certain changes or moves or to attempt to practice with back-up methods) until after i had been hacked and several of the vulnerabilities had become more clearly recognizable and some of the vulnerable areas were not even complicated fixes that likely increased security x100 based on some fairly basic changes.

Haha...I think my needle is now stuck on "screw 'em".

I mean, after over a decade, if they don't realize it by now, well....they can't be helped.

I do say screw em quite a lot, but I still believe that I am kind of a softie if someone is actually seriously inquiring into BTC, and maybe not even that seriously inquiring into BTC.  Frequently, I will try to help for a little while to get them to understand both the value proposition of BTC and the prudence of taking some significant and meaningful steps, even if it is just small steps to have a very small allocation of their networth (which is implicitly talking about their investment portfolio) into BTC. 

So surely if I am talking about bitcoin with almost anyone - once we get into such a topic - I will give them a few chances to say dumb shit, before I really give up... and just tell them that "they can do whatever the fuck they like.. I tried to help them to help themselves.."...and sometimes (maybe frequently it is the case) they seem resistant to recognize and appreciate the BTC value proposition.. including that my own personal financial/psychological situation is likely to continue to improve whether or NOT they take any actions to invest in bitcoin and/or to have likely odds of improving their lot because of such actions to invest in bitcoin.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4358

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:17:23 PM

https://twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine/status/1473739902475018243
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7865

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2021, 08:35:28 PM

Huh

It's still 2FA; two-factor authentication. TOTP based specifically, not SMS based.

Quote from: Microsoft app
The Microsoft Authenticator app also supports the industry standard for time-based, one-time passcodes (also known as TOTP or OTP).

This is where the confusion lies. 2FA saved your btc, don't hate on it  Wink

Sounds like TOTP

Ahh just too stressed

SMS/text 2fa = shit

my bad.

and yes microsoft/auth = save the day.  it is on a cell that I do not share the number with anyone.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:40:27 PM

From hypnogram for "Bitcoin Mania". Hidden prediction revealed by AI?

I also asked it for a bored gorilla and got one for free

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 08:49:36 PM

I agree.

You misunderstood, J.

I did not say it would go sideways until mid-2024. I said that PlanB is saying that if the price were to stay in the lower bounds of his S2F model, that it would still be valid. And that if you look at the lower bounds of the $40-55k range on his chart, it extends out until mid-2024.

So ask yourself, what is HE saying then? But I guess we're the looney/out of touch ones, not him?

Oh.. I was just thinking that it could be that we end up having something like $50k average for this halvening period.. and surely at that point maybe aspects of PlanB's model might need to be reconsidered.. and so 50% performance from the expectations of the model might well be considered as a possible failure.. perhaps?  perhaps?  I personally am not even willing to consider a $50k average (if it were to occur) for this halvening period as a failure yet.. let's see how the second half of this halvening period plays out..  

PlanB is who made the initial claims, and is now moving the goalposts. Why should you conform to his redefinition of success or failure of the S2F model along with him?

Now, do I personally think it'll stay in this price range all the way to mid 2024? Well of course not. I don't even think it'll stay here all the way through next year.

I thought that I sufficiently explained myself regarding both stocktoflow and planB...so we may well be talking past each other to a certain extent - and I still think that you are the one who continues to fail/refuse to appreciate what the stocktoflow model is based on and what it is saying.. .and you just seem to want to get caught up in personalities and even attributing way too high of probabilities to even what either stocktoflow or planB is saying. Even if several times you make decent points, it's almost as if you are quibbling for the mere sake of it.

In the end, everyone here (you, me and PlanB) seems to agree that there continues to be a lot of decently strong UPwards price pressures on BTC.. so who gives any ratt's asses how closely such future performance might end up conforming with BTC price models that might be better at showing what happened rather than what is going to happen... In the end, people are going to make choices regarding whether to get into bitcoin and how to strategize their getting in in terms of how fast they might try to get in based on their circumstances.

Guys like you, me and even PlanB are likely already sufficiently in, so maybe we are moreso inclined to consider the extent to which we might allow our views about future BTC price actions to influence if we sell any BTC now or if we wait for higher prices (in the event such higher prices happen as we expect)... so in the end, are there much if any material differences in which we might see the BTC price going.. and seem to me that you are getting irritated because you believe that PlanB attributes more certainty to UPpity than it deserves..so newbies are getting lured into BTC under such false pretenses, and I assert that you are likely exaggerating the extent to which newbies are being mislead, and maybe even you are continuously contradicting yourself because you have already said several times that you do not give any shits about newbies.  So what is it that you give a shit about?  Yeah, it's easy as fuck to criticize models and attribute bad motives to PlanB, but really is that helping anyone to more clearly attempt to think through these matters that in any event remain probability based for all of us. whether we assign higher or lower probability levels to certain happenings?  Yeah, numerous times, I have already criticized PlanB for his supposed "bottom" assignments.. .. and also on numerous occasions, I have also asserted that stocktoflow ideas already existed in BTC before PlanB.. but I still find his laying out the data and even talking about the various rationales behind applying stock to flow to bitcoin remains very helpful depictions and framings of facts and logic.. that lend very good insight to where bitcoin is likely to be going even if the model might be a wee bit off in regards to some of the specifics....

So, again, what good does it do to get so caught up in the weeds of the specifics and to complain about misleading information out there.. I just find it less than helpful that you are continuously seeming to be so worked up about PlanB's model misleading people.. which seems to have little purpose behind it.. and hey what do I know?  are we beating this horse to death?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 09:01:38 PM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2021, 10:01:28 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 29854 29855 29856 29857 29858 29859 29860 29861 29862 29863 29864 29865 29866 29867 29868 29869 29870 29871 29872 29873 29874 29875 29876 29877 29878 29879 29880 29881 29882 29883 29884 29885 29886 29887 29888 29889 29890 29891 29892 29893 29894 29895 29896 29897 29898 29899 29900 29901 29902 29903 [29904] 29905 29906 29907 29908 29909 29910 29911 29912 29913 29914 29915 29916 29917 29918 29919 29920 29921 29922 29923 29924 29925 29926 29927 29928 29929 29930 29931 29932 29933 29934 29935 29936 29937 29938 29939 29940 29941 29942 29943 29944 29945 29946 29947 29948 29949 29950 29951 29952 29953 29954 ... 33340 »
  Print  

Jump to: