June 30, 2024, 07:21:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15144 15145 15146 15147 15148 15149 15150 15151 15152 15153 15154 15155 15156 15157 15158 15159 15160 15161 15162 15163 15164 15165 15166 15167 15168 15169 15170 15171 15172 15173 15174 15175 15176 15177 15178 15179 15180 15181 15182 15183 15184 15185 15186 15187 15188 15189 15190 15191 15192 15193 [15194] 15195 15196 15197 15198 15199 15200 15201 15202 15203 15204 15205 15206 15207 15208 15209 15210 15211 15212 15213 15214 15215 15216 15217 15218 15219 15220 15221 15222 15223 15224 15225 15226 15227 15228 15229 15230 15231 15232 15233 15234 15235 15236 15237 15238 15239 15240 15241 15242 15243 15244 ... 33496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26409132 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:40:33 PM

The trolls are getting worried about what's gonna happen when we breach $480-ish...    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
We have yet to hold $470. What if we never move forward and stall here for weeks!

There will be teardrops to shed...

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:44:25 PM

You're a Brit, so stop with the "local currency ... in my home country" Spy vs. Spy bullshit Roll Eyes
Which is not to say you shouldn't drop the rest of the bullshit, you should. Because you would have done better with almost every actual investment option, including frickin' index accounts.
TL;DR: Yes, you *were* doing it wrong. First because "with poor results - I'm not a trader," and later by thinking that money is an investment.
Sure, USD is nearly perfect money, but trust me -- an investment it is not Smiley

The local currency wasn't GBP, nor was it my home country's currency. (My home country at the time wasn't Britain, either, but that's not the point). Incredibly, my brief foray into the carry trade wasn't my only investment at that time but thank you for your investment advice - many years too late, mind, but interesting all the same. Beyond that we're back to your narrow definition of invest. Let me put it like this...

An investment management firm has a "fixed income" section. Besides derivatives and bonds, what else do you think they invest their clients money in? And how do you think they acquire it?
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:46:34 PM

no real pullback   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
whoreble

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 11:57:31 PM

You're a Brit, so stop with the "local currency ... in my home country" Spy vs. Spy bullshit Roll Eyes
Which is not to say you shouldn't drop the rest of the bullshit, you should. Because you would have done better with almost every actual investment option, including frickin' index funds.
TL;DR: Yes, you *were* doing it wrong. First because "with poor results - I'm not a trader," and later by thinking that money is an investment.
Sure, USD is nearly perfect money, but trust me -- an investment it is not Smiley

The local currency wasn't GBP, nor was it my home country's currency. (My home country at the time wasn't Britain, either, but that's not the point). Incredibly, my brief foray into the carry trade wasn't my only investment at that time but thank you for your investment advice - many years too late, mind, but interesting all the same. Beyond that we're back to your narrow definition of invest. Let me put it like this...

An investment management firm has a "fixed income" section. Besides derivatives and bonds, what else do you think they invest their clients money in? And how do you think they acquire it?

You frighten me. Here's what an index fund is:
An index fund is a type of mutual fund with a portfolio constructed to match or track the components of a market index, such as the Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500). An index mutual fund is said to provide broad market exposure, low operating expenses and low portfolio turnover.
So no, not "investing in money," if that's what you're thinking.

Re. "home country":
Too many International Men of  Mystery and Intrigue around these parts.
LMGTFY

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:06:38 AM

Which is not to say you shouldn't drop the rest of the bullshit, you should. Because you would have done better with almost every actual investment option, including frickin' index funds.

An index fund is a type of mutual fund with a portfolio constructed to match or track the components of a market index, such as the Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500). An index mutual fund is said to provide broad market exposure, low operating expenses and low portfolio turnover.

Re. "home country":

Yes, very good, we all know what an index fund is. But what does that to do with the questions I asked you? Equities and fixed income are two very different things.

I'm not going to tell you what countries I've lived in. It's really not relevant, and frankly it's a little creepy that you'd even care. If you need to have a more concrete example, lets say I'm a Armenian who now lives in Belgium but used to live in China, and while there was posted to Djibouti. But honestly - none of this is relevant. I thought personalising it might help you understand. Perhaps I was wrong - I'm doing my best to accommodate your foibles, honest!
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10451

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:10:01 AM

The trolls are getting worried about what's gonna happen when we breach $480-ish...    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
We have yet to hold $470. What if we never move forward and stall here for weeks!

I really have no insider ideas regarding the odds of price movement in either direction, but we should acknowledge that we got to the $470 resistance point a lot quicker than a lot of us considered to be likely... yet I still consider it a real decent possibility that we could get stuck somewhere in this price range for a few weeks like you suggested or even go down for a little while from here..   

From the information that I see, I cannot really figure out whether BTC prices are being manipulated upwards by a few cats or whether sellers have been running out of coins.... So, I would not put all of my chips on green, at this particular moment..., even though green is looking and feeling pretty good at this particular moment..... nonetheless, it is my view that anyone attempting to use BTC as value preservation and appreciation investment has to attempt to prepare ourselves as best as we can for either price direction.

Each of us have different BTC accumulation starting points... and even different expectations regarding how we accumulate or when we are going to sell, if ever.

Personally, I like upwards movement, but I don't mind stagnating a little while in order to accumulate a few more coins........ but yeah, up is definitely better for me... because I feel like I am in a fairly decent accumulated position.... in other words, I profit much more from upwards rather than downwards.... At this moment, my BTC investment portfolio is a little more than 92% in .... hahahaha 
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:10:52 AM

What do we make of this? - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4gkxox/mycelium_new_wallet_announcement/

Mycelium have come up with the wallet to end them all and there's a crowd sale to boot -

https://wallet.mycelium.com/elements/licenses.html

whoreble

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:19:51 AM

Re. "home country":

Yes, very good, we all know what an index fund is. But what does that to do with the questions I asked you? Equities and fixed income are two very different things.

I'm not going to tell you what countries I've lived in. It's really not relevant, and frankly it's a little creepy that you'd even care. If you need to have a more concrete example, lets say I'm a Armenian who now lives in Belgium but used to live in China, and while there was posted to Djibouti. But honestly - none of this is relevant. I thought personalising it might help you understand. Perhaps I was wrong - I'm doing my best to accommodate your foibles, honest!

You're not going to tell me what your "home country" is because, like most humans, you wish to keep your lying to a minimum.
And because you're going to spin fairy tales about making sound Forex investments [lol!] which, implausible as they may be, can not be proven false sans specifics Smiley

That said, I can offer you multiple cases Beanie Babies investors who beat actual IRL index funds. Please do not misconstrue that as advice to invest in Beanies.
Please don't be offended if you find this disclaimer patronizing -- past experience has taught me that everything here needs to be spelled out.

Re. fixed income [securities]: where did that come from? what do those have to do with anything I said?
LMGTFY

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:31:18 AM

Re. "home country":

You're not going to tell me what your "home country" is because, like most humans, you wish to keep your lying to a minimum.
And because you're going to spin fairy tales about making sound Forex investments [lol!] which, implausible as they may be, can not be proven false sans specifics Smiley

That said, I can offer you multiple cases Beanie Babies investors who beat actual IRL index funds. Please do not misconstrue that as advice to invest in Beanies.
Please don't be offended if you find this disclaimer patronizing -- past experience has taught me that everything here needs to be spelled out.

My home country is Britain. You could probably work out "local currency" for yourself (but I repeat: it really isn't relevant).

That's a lie. I'm really a squirrel living in Basingstoke with a girl called Mary. But, that aside, it doesn't matter if it's true or false - sans specifics or no. Treat it as a hypothetical, or believe it - it really doesn't matter. It's a tangent, and if I'd been more accommodating to your quirks and idiosyncrasies I'd have anticipated you'd get confused by it and I'd not have complificated matters by raising it. Once again, I apologise.

So, back to the matter in hand. What else does that fixed income section invest in? And how do they acquire it? Third time I've asked, I'm beginning to think you're trying to avoid answering Sad

USB-S

In XEM we trust

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:34:41 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2016, 01:32:34 AM by USB-S

Each of us have different BTC accumulation starting points... and even different expectations regarding how we accumulate or when we are going to sell, if ever.
I find that keeping my value within a network that is secured by exponential amounts of hashing power is safer than a banks central database. We couldn't recreate this, even if we wanted to. The current state of the network is made way too easy to use, a lot of applications make converting into fiat a breeze. My local exchange has 0 deposit fees and 1 cent withdraw fees. The volumes are low, but that doesn't really concern me. Also bitcoin debit cards, who knows what's next.
Personally, I like upwards movement, but I don't mind stagnating a little while in order to accumulate a few more coins........ but yeah, up is definitely better for me... because I feel like I am in a fairly decent accumulated position.... in other words, I profit much more from upwards rather than downwards.... At this moment, my BTC investment portfolio is a little more than 92% in .... hahahaha  
I have 2 silver denarium rounds, it's my only value not related to bitcoin. I used to own some local stocks, but that shit was way too boring for me. I sold all of my stocks for bitcoin last year. In bitcoin you can see action going on 24/7, there isn't a moment where nothing is going on, the network is way too huge for that. I find that it's inevitable that bitcoin will "succeed"(because it already has). First it'll be the under serviced, then rest of the fuckers. I also like that I can interact with my money- Something that you can't do with stocks and bonds.

I don't even know if bitcoin is money or an investment for me.

Click me!
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:37:27 AM

There's always a place for stocks and bonds. My main fund has absolutely kicked arse over the last three years. Bitcoin has been a tad more variable.
talkingleaves

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:41:56 AM

There's always a place for stocks and bonds. My main fund has absolutely kicked arse over the last three years. Bitcoin has been a tad more variable.

what is your main fund?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:47:21 AM

Fundsmith which is a UK one. I put in a small amount when it opened in 2010 and stuck some more in during 2013. It's averaged about 20% a year.
UngratefulTony

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:06:49 AM

Index funds, forex? dafug is this...

more euphoria pls!
USB-S

In XEM we trust

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:11:19 AM

For mood
Scientist find that bitcoin is working.

POSITIVE EFFECTS ON PRICE EXPECTED!
whoreble

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:13:01 AM

Re. "home country":

My home country is Britain. You could probably work out "local currency" for yourself (but I repeat: it really isn't relevant).
That's a lie. I'm really a squirrel living in Basingstoke with a girl called Mary. But, that aside, it doesn't matter if it's true or false - sans specifics or no. Treat it as a hypothetical, or believe it - it really doesn't matter. It's a tangent, and if I'd been more accommodating to your quirks and idiosyncrasies I'd have anticipated you'd get confused by it and I'd not have complificated matters by raising it. Once again, I apologise.
So both your failed Forex trading career and the misguided Forex "investing" that followed are to be treated as hypotheticals, now that they've been shown to be rubbish? K.
So, back to the matter in hand. What else does that fixed income section invest in? And how do they acquire it? Third time I've asked, I'm beginning to think you're trying to avoid answering Sad

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make, but I'll bite. Fixed-income securities that instantly come to mind are government bonds. I have no idea of what governments invest in -- jackboots for their thugs, most likely. If you're suggesting that fixed income funds trade currencies, I'm sure many of them do. But invest in currencies? Lol, no, never.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2016, 01:33:54 AM

Scientist begin to understand why bitcoin turns green while fiat turns blue during testing

LMGTFY

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:38:18 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2016, 01:54:50 AM by LMGTFY

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make, but I'll bite. Fixed-income securities that instantly come to mind are government bonds. I have no idea of what governments invest in -- jackboots for their thugs, most likely. If you're suggesting that fixed income funds trade currencies, I'm sure many of them do. But invest in currencies? Lol, no, never.

Well, I said apart from derivatives and bonds (I was trying to be helpful, honest), so I can't accept "government bonds" as an answer (I hope you'd realise that they're just a specific form of bond). No, I'm not suggesting that fixed income funds trade currencies (though obviously they will), I'm saying they hold currencies as an investment for their clients. Fixed income traditionally was investments for "widows and orphans" - low risk, cash and bonds, in a pre-derivative era. So that's BTC investors, widows and orphans now - you want to tell them their investment isn't an investment, or shall I?

(I'd really like to stay and find out about your interest in Jeffrey Dahmer, beanie babies, why you think I'm Ted E Bear (and your interesting views on how forums work), why you think I might lie about being a bad trader (and how my personal involvement with something might completely invalidate that thing if I wasn't really involved - sorry, I quoted your post before you edited to add that "K" part - but I caught it later and smiled, honest!), your other theories and how they all relate to the topic of investing in currencies, but it's late on Planet Earth and I need to head off. And I fear that rabbit-hole would be too deep.)

Edit: Tell these guys too. And Barclays too. And these guys should definitely know better.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:41:00 AM

Scientist begin to understand why bitcoin turns green while fiat turns blue during testing

is bitcoin a safe and natural food coloring?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10451

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:45:32 AM

I find that keeping my value within a network that is secured by exponential amounts of hashing power is safer than a banks central database. We couldn't recreate this, even if we wanted to. The current state of the network is made way too easy to use, a lot of applications make converting into fiat a breeze. My local exchange has 0 deposit fees and 1 cent withdraw fees. The volumes are low, but that doesn't really concern me. Also bitcoin debit cards, who knows what's next.

Sure.  I am of a similar mind.  Likely, if we have both dollars and bitcoins, then we would spend the dollars first because they are less likely to appreciate in value, yet nonetheless, since bitcoin remains volatile, we have to pay attention to how much resources we have allocated towards it.  Let's say for example if someone is going to pay us $1,000 in rent (or something like that)... If we need the $1,000 to pay the various associated bills that are also in dollars, we may chose to not convert it to bitcoin.... receive it in dollars and spend it.  However, as bitcoin grows, there may be more benefits to keeping a higher percentage of our weekly and monthly cashflow in bitcoin and then cashing out as we need it... but still need to keep in mind volatility until that settles down to some extent.

I am expecting more settling of volatility with a higher market cap, which means we likely have to witness additional volatility until we get to 10x or 100x or even 1,000x or more of the current $7billion market cap.   Non volatility of bitcoin will not be coming anytime soon (at least not in the next 5-10 years, it seems to me).

I have 2 silver denarium rounds, it's my only value not related to bitcoin. I used to own some local stocks, but that shit was way too boring for me. I sold all of my stocks for bitcoin last year. In bitcoin you can see action going on 24/7, there isn't a moment where nothing is going on, the network is way too huge for that. I find that it's inevitable that bitcoin will "succeed"(because it already has). First it'll be the under serviced, then rest of the fuckers. I also like that I can interact with my money- Something that you can't do with stocks and bonds.

I don't even know if bitcoin is money or an investment for me.

Click me!

Action 24/7 has its plusses and minuses, and sometimes too much action causes me to lose sleep... 

Pages: « 1 ... 15144 15145 15146 15147 15148 15149 15150 15151 15152 15153 15154 15155 15156 15157 15158 15159 15160 15161 15162 15163 15164 15165 15166 15167 15168 15169 15170 15171 15172 15173 15174 15175 15176 15177 15178 15179 15180 15181 15182 15183 15184 15185 15186 15187 15188 15189 15190 15191 15192 15193 [15194] 15195 15196 15197 15198 15199 15200 15201 15202 15203 15204 15205 15206 15207 15208 15209 15210 15211 15212 15213 15214 15215 15216 15217 15218 15219 15220 15221 15222 15223 15224 15225 15226 15227 15228 15229 15230 15231 15232 15233 15234 15235 15236 15237 15238 15239 15240 15241 15242 15243 15244 ... 33496 »
  Print  

Jump to: