April 26, 2024, 12:58:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 22433 22434 22435 22436 22437 22438 22439 22440 22441 22442 22443 22444 22445 22446 22447 22448 22449 22450 22451 22452 22453 22454 22455 22456 22457 22458 22459 22460 22461 22462 22463 22464 22465 22466 22467 22468 22469 22470 22471 22472 22473 22474 22475 22476 22477 22478 22479 22480 22481 22482 [22483] 22484 22485 22486 22487 22488 22489 22490 22491 22492 22493 22494 22495 22496 22497 22498 22499 22500 22501 22502 22503 22504 22505 22506 22507 22508 22509 22510 22511 22512 22513 22514 22515 22516 22517 22518 22519 22520 22521 22522 22523 22524 22525 22526 22527 22528 22529 22530 22531 22532 22533 ... 33302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368162 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 02:48:57 AM

Apart from the one idea about attempting to spend as many bitcoins as possible before death, there's going to be a lot of this loss of coins through death happening, which is a little bit problematic for intergenerational maintenance and passing down of value... even though the overall loss of coins is bullish on the BTC price due to increased scarcity.

It's a dilemma. Do you relinquish control and permit your funds to be spent without your express permission, or do you maintain that control but recognise that your stash will die with you.

You generally shouldn’t try to control things from beyond the grave (notable exceptions being dependent vulnerables such as children who cannot make their own decisions or pets)

Make up too many stupid rules and it just ends up getting litigated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 02:49:40 AM

Peter Vessenes is such an incredible a..ho.e .  claiming 25% of btc marketcap, what a shitshow.

It's almost like he's trying to be openly obtuse. The Japanese court ought to instantly reject these claims, but the incredibly bureaucratic nature of things probably means claimants will be waiting years now.

So the plot thickens. Apparently, under Japanese law standard practice is to accord 50% voting rights to rejected claims. That means CoinLab would hold majority voting rights and could veto CR taking everyone back to bankruptcy. It has been suggested that this may be a means for Vessenes to extract a favourable settlement for his claims which he knows stand on weak ground.

Are you sure it is not to 50% of ACCEPTED claims as everywhere else in the world?
smartcomet

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 02:51:57 AM
Merited by jbreher (2)

you had 50 btc but gambled it away buying shitcoins?  and you still want to keep the shitcoins? imho hodl refers to bitcoin, not to shitcoins.

Actually, no, I "earned" 50 BTC worth of shitcoins (well, I don't consider them shitcoins, but whatever) ... my mistake was not cashing them out to BTC when I had the chance, and in hindsight, cashing out those BTC to fiat (maybe some, not all) so that I can live comfortably for a couple years, and then find a normie job without worrying about the future. (50 BTC was $1m USD back in Jan 2018? Something like that.)

And continue to earn or hodl everything.

But hey, no one's perfect. Either learn from your mistakes, or learn from other's mistakes. Still think they were pretty good bets.

A bitcoin would help so much, I'm not going homeless, and I've got a family to keep warm.

Thanks for sharing.

In the end, you win some you lose some in this game.

I won a lot and lost a lot. I cashed out a lot when BTC was 1100$ and bought a (now the most expensive in the world) Ducati. Even tho that could have been a Ducati AND a Lambo I still don't regret that decision.

I sold 1200 ETH which I got by mining form the very start and by daytrading at a good profit. But in hindsight....

I had a nice Dash masternode purring. Sold it for a good profit, but in hindsight....

I had 98.5 BTC at my top. Now I only have a fraction

What I learned was:
- Take some profit now and then and enjoy that. That can never be taken away.
- Be patient
- Don't trade when there are emotions involved

So, some valuable lessons, a great adventure, and some nice spoils of war. Not what it could've been but I'm very happy.

This year I'm saving and trying to rebuild a decent stash of BTC as much as that is possible. Having more then one whole BTC is a win in my book already.

One’s wealth meets one’s ability.

When one gained or lost some wealth, one is only lucky or unlucky.

The ability includes financial knowledge, understanding people and human nature, understanding history and so on. When one masters the ability, one can know the world in a high vision.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 02:54:36 AM

Peter Vessenes is such an incredible a..ho.e .  claiming 25% of btc marketcap, what a shitshow.

It's almost like he's trying to be openly obtuse. The Japanese court ought to instantly reject these claims, but the incredibly bureaucratic nature of things probably means claimants will be waiting years now.

So the plot thickens. Apparently, under Japanese law standard practice is to accord 50% voting rights to rejected claims. That means CoinLab would hold majority voting rights and could veto CR taking everyone back to bankruptcy. It has been suggested that this may be a means for Vessenes to extract a favourable settlement for his claims which he knows stand on weak ground.

Are you sure it is not to 50% of ACCEPTED claims as everywhere else in the world?

Supposedly it is 100% of accepted claims and 50% of disputed claims.  

Japanese bankruptcy processes are not as sophisticated as in the West. For starters, you aren’t supposed to go bankrupt. Loss of face and all that.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:01:57 AM

Peter Vessenes is such an incredible a..ho.e .  claiming 25% of btc marketcap, what a shitshow.

Supposedly it is 100% of accepted claims and 50% of disputed claims.  

Japanese bankruptcy processes are not as sophisticated as in the West. For starters, you aren’t supposed to go bankrupt. Loss of face and all that.

oh I see what you mean now. I thought it was about the majority of (approved) creditors (50%) had in any important decision being voted.

Anyway, it is stupid.... I remember there was some guy that claimed a couple trillion or something like that. Surely rejected but.... now he has the majority of voting rights? Ridiculous.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10153

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:15:28 AM

Apart from the one idea about attempting to spend as many bitcoins as possible before death, there's going to be a lot of this loss of coins through death happening, which is a little bit problematic for intergenerational maintenance and passing down of value... even though the overall loss of coins is bullish on the BTC price due to increased scarcity.

It's a dilemma. Do you relinquish control and permit your funds to be spent without your express permission, or do you maintain that control but recognise that your stash will die with you.

You generally shouldn’t try to control things from beyond the grave (notable exceptions being dependent vulnerables such as children who cannot make their own decisions or pets)

Note that Yefi is not referring to what a guy (or gal) does after being dead, but instead trying to figure out what to do before dying, in terms of putting that information out there that could end up being compromised (spent without your permission).
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:20:27 AM

Now would be an appropriate time to put pressure on Vessenes by other means.  Lean on his board of directors and VCs.  Organize a boycott of New Alchemy. Go after the ICOs on his platform.

Not that it’s anything to do with me.  Not my dog in the fight.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:22:04 AM

Note that Yefi is not referring to what a guy (or gal) does after being dead, but instead trying to figure out what to do before dying, in terms of putting that information out there that could end up being compromised (spent without your permission).

The article was talking about a multi-sig deadman’s switch but ok, my comment was misplaced.

I feel that if you can’t find people in your life that you can trust with your life savings then you need to work on your relationships.  Appreciate those in unstable marriages may disagree but that’s kinda the point.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:38:53 AM

The article was talking about a multi-sig deadman’s switch but ok, my comment was misplaced.

I feel that if you can’t find people in your life that you can trust with your life savings then you need to work on your relationships.  Appreciate those in unstable marriages may disagree but that’s kinda the point.

Trust is never completely absolute (people can even lose their mind and turn into a completely different person - I have unfortunately witnessed that). I chose to give some persons I trust, enough info so that they could recover my stash by working together (plus some effort). If "they" decided to betray me... well, not only I am confident enough that won't happen.... they should also better kill me as part their plan.

It's not that much money anyways... currently.

Anyways, if JJG doesn't trust some else enough... then I guess that he has no reason to leave anything to anyone. So no problem there.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:44:02 AM

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:47:24 AM

I have just checked three things I used to check very often in the past:

- coinatm - Number of Bitcoin ATM's worldwide still raising at good pace.

- difficulty - Surprisingly, after the drop in december it has stopped dropping and even recovered some to around August levels.

- Lightning network - Still growing at a very good pace.

I guess everything is fine.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 03:58:58 AM

Trust is never completely absolute (people can even lose their mind and turn into a completely different person - I have unfortunately witnessed that). I chose to give some persons I trust, enough info so that they could recover my stash by working together (plus some effort). If "they" decided to betray me... well, not only I am confident enough that won't happen.... they should also better kill me as part their plan.

It's not that much money anyways... currently.

Anyways, if JJG doesn't trust some else enough... then I guess that he has no reason to leave anything to anyone. So no problem there.

O.k.  Even though I was not specifically referring to any fact that I might not trust someone else, that angle of inference of trust was raised by yefi, and I don't even think that he was referring to anyone specifically, only as a general concept (or possible motivating factor).  Now, that we have elaborated on the trust factor a bit, I can recognize how that could be a factor for a lot of people, yet I surmise that the more common issue revolves around mere organizing the matters and putting them in one place and just figuring out ways that the information might not be compromised, and it is not merely trust, but having that information out there could cause issues regarding the information getting into the wrong hands whether willful, negligent or accidental. 

In other words, my initial hypothesis was that a lot of coins are likely going to get lost because of deaths, and could be due to lack of organization or due to some of the lack of trust issues that came up subsequently.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 04:00:35 AM

Is there some kind of utility in retweeting (recirculating) such nonsense?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 04:04:54 AM

I have just checked three things I used to check very often in the past:

- coinatm - Number of Bitcoin ATM's worldwide still raising at good pace.

- difficulty - Surprisingly, after the drop in december it has stopped dropping and even recovered some to around August levels.

- Lightning network - Still growing at a very good pace.

I guess everything is fine.

Yeah, of course.

Everything is just fine right now.

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 04:35:26 AM

Is there some kind of utility in retweeting (recirculating) such nonsense?

It’s a joke.  Pick the wrong metric and get a nonsense result.  

To be fair, you probably need to be a native English speaker to know that it is a joke because the nuance of the wording “that is a lot of coins” is a bit hidden. Which makes it funnier because it is pretending to be serious. But yeah.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 05:54:28 AM

Hmm.

They are deleting my giant green dildo from Satoshis.place.

I think this calls for something drastic.

Now what text do I include in the next incarnation I upload.

Hmm...

* BobLawblaw goes off to play in Pootyshoop

Can't we club together for a Gay Niggers From Outer Space FULL PAGE takeover of Satoshis.place?  I am in - you bought the beers, time for the thread to payback and have a little fun. Let's blitz it.

I see he did it.. and I already defaced it.

I *will* pitch in. But only via lightning.

Talk to me.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 05:54:59 AM

https://github.com/bitcoin-core/HWI/blob/master/docs/bitcoin-core-usage.md
hardware wallet integration might get merged in to core

Umm... BIP 32 is old since years.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 06:06:53 AM

Haha. How definitively beta.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 06:16:15 AM
Merited by infofront (1)

How is your morning, Gentlemen ?

All is well from 30km east of Carolina.

Only worry today is finding a sports bar where the wife can watch the super bowl. We'll watch it again when we get back home. For accordingly experience hath shewn that the super bowl in PR is accompanied by local commercials, rather than the creativity fest shown back on the mainland.

Imagine that... watching TV for the ads. Whatta life.

Jbreher, are you scouting it out for residency?

In a word, yes.

I don't know how productive the trip will be. I've never before scouted an area for residency. But the special cap gains treatment demand investigation. Perhaps most importantly during a down market.

One week here on the east side, next week on the west side. We shall see what we shall see.

For the time being, yo soy Boricua!
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2019, 06:20:18 AM

shitcoins... by the way who is selling Merits? I nearly running out of sMerits.

Never selling... never sell!

</keenan doing LeVar Ball voice>
Pages: « 1 ... 22433 22434 22435 22436 22437 22438 22439 22440 22441 22442 22443 22444 22445 22446 22447 22448 22449 22450 22451 22452 22453 22454 22455 22456 22457 22458 22459 22460 22461 22462 22463 22464 22465 22466 22467 22468 22469 22470 22471 22472 22473 22474 22475 22476 22477 22478 22479 22480 22481 22482 [22483] 22484 22485 22486 22487 22488 22489 22490 22491 22492 22493 22494 22495 22496 22497 22498 22499 22500 22501 22502 22503 22504 22505 22506 22507 22508 22509 22510 22511 22512 22513 22514 22515 22516 22517 22518 22519 22520 22521 22522 22523 22524 22525 22526 22527 22528 22529 22530 22531 22532 22533 ... 33302 »
  Print  

Jump to: