May 17, 2024, 12:25:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4470 4471 4472 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 4480 4481 4482 4483 4484 4485 4486 4487 4488 4489 4490 4491 4492 4493 4494 4495 4496 4497 4498 4499 4500 4501 4502 4503 4504 4505 4506 4507 4508 4509 4510 4511 4512 4513 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 4519 [4520] 4521 4522 4523 4524 4525 4526 4527 4528 4529 4530 4531 4532 4533 4534 4535 4536 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 4542 4543 4544 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 4551 4552 4553 4554 4555 4556 4557 4558 4559 4560 4561 4562 4563 4564 4565 4566 4567 4568 4569 4570 ... 33355 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26384033 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 04:03:16 AM

mtgox's announcement(s) is not all that important in the long run, but it matters to alot of poeple as a lot of people have funds there... but, i like to think bitcoins fundamentals are FUD resistance  Wink
in any case, i think ~600$ coins is a  good price not buying at the top thats for sure... fully prepared for further dips, always.... but the story that is bitcoin is very interesting to a gorwing nobuer of poeple.....
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:15:03 AM

Deifenbach: Mr. Lundegaard, this is Reilly Deifenbach calling from GMAC. How are you this morning?
    Jerry: Yah, real good. How you doin'?
    Deifenbach: Pretty good, Mr. Lundegaard. You're damned hard to get on the phone.
    Jerry: Yah, it's pretty darned busy here, but that's the way we like it.
    Deifenbach: That's for sure. Now, I just need, on these last, these financing documents you sent us, I can't read the serial numbers of the vehicles on here, so I--
    Jerry: But I already got the, it's okay, the loans are in place, I already got the, the what, the -
    Deifenbach: Yeah, the three hundred and twenty thousand, you got the money last month.
    Jerry: Yah, so we're all set.
    Deifenbach: Yeah, but the vehicles you were borrowing on, I just can't read the serial numbers on your application. Maybe if you could just read them to me--
    Jerry: But the deal's already done, I already got the money.
    Deifenbach: Yeah, but we have an audit here, I just have to know that these vehicles you're financing with this money, that they really exist.
    Jerry: Yah, well, they exist all right.
    Deifenbach: I'm sure they do, but I can't read their serial numbers here. So if you could read me--
    Jerry: Well, but see... I don't have them in front of me. Why don't I just fax you over a copy?
    Deifenbach: No. Fax is no good, that's what I have and I can't read the darn thing.
    Jerry: Yah, okay, I'll have my girl send you over a copy, then.
    Deifenbach: Okay, because if I can't correlate this note with the specific vehicles, then I gotta call back that money.
    Jerry: Yah, how much money was that?
    Deifenbach: Three hundred and twenty thousand. See, I gotta correlate that money with the cars it's being lent on.
    Jerry: Yah, no problem, I'll just fax that over to ya, then.
    Deifenbach: No, no, fax is--
    Jerry: I mean send it over. I'll shoot it right over to ya.
    Deifenbach: Okay.
    Jerry: Okay, real good, then.
creekbore

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:22:46 AM

Given the amount of negative BTC stories in the popular press this last week I thought I would check out what the Bitcoin Foundation was doing to counter some of it.  Apart from a couple of brief blog posts I couldn't find anything - which is very disheartening.

There is clearly a war being waged here (hearts and minds and all that) in the media and it seems BTC isn't even participating, there are a few champions but I'm actually quite disturbed there isn't a greater effort to counter to some of the nonsense being printed.

Bitcoin Jesus will save us

He does press releases, yeah?

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cexawnOlR8

Some old Youtube video isn't a press release....a press release is in text format, has a title and a date, a story and contact numbers for the lead 'actors' in the story....then lazy journalists cut and paste it, may be call a number for a quote, give it to a sub editor who actually does some work tidying it up, an editor waves it through, then it gets printed and lots of people believe its true because a journalist at the [insert name] wrote it.  

Most media outlets publish anything that lands on their desk without checking facts (blame time, blame money, blame falling standards).  Check out 'businessinsider.com.au' which last week published a press release verbatim about BTC which was a complete lie - Aussies to open world's first BTC bank - the world first actually opens in Cyprus next week.

See where I'm going with this...it's really easy to get your message across but the Bitcoin Foundation aren't participating in the game.....and people wonder why the market is crashing.

The press-release model, while important, is not necessarily the best way to get the word out. The r/Bitcoin Reddit, for instance, does more to get the Bitcoin message across better than any centralized press desk could.

As an ex-broadcast and print journalist I have to disagree - content/copy is gold and if you send it out it tends to get published.  MtGox may have many flaws but it puts out PR and has won this particular battle with regard to malleability.  The world now thinks BTC is flawed because that story made good headlines, and no-one bothered to counter it swiftly.  The disposable income that powered BTC to its last surge in price probably came from middle class families, who this last week have been bombarded by negative stories.  They may be online but they will still be reading traditional, trusted brands.

I'm wary of both reddit's accuracy but more so its penetration - like much social media it is an echo chamber.  Over-estimating its influence and under-estimating traditional outlets is strategic madness, if you want something as universal as 'new money' to gain traction.

Everyone knows the Foundation is dysfunctional and that their current role is basically limited to code maintenance.

...do they, I don't, where was this stated?  

Perhaps it was on Reddit?

Has someone told them?

But if they are dysfunctional, isn't the role of a 'community' to address these issues?  

Which is why I bring it up...let's get some press releases out guys!!!

FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:31:25 AM

MtGox may have many flaws but it puts out PR and has won this particular battle with regard to malleability.  The world now thinks BTC is flawed because that story made good headlines

THIS is the problem
A PR operation to obfuscate a internal problem.
It's hurting bitcoin so bad !
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:35:59 AM

Though the GOX internal FUD has tarnished BTC, I believe this makes an important buying opportunity for those that are endowed and able to take advantage. Clearly when/if GOX fixes the problem the truth about the proper problem will surface to main stream media, and BTC will flourish again.
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:37:29 AM

I cannot believe stamp is just following gox like this. This is pissing me off. I thought this was over.

Even Stamp knows Gox is still the King.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:44:45 AM

Deifenbach: Mr. Lundegaard, this is Reilly Deifenbach calling from GMAC. How are you this morning?
    Jerry: Yah, real good. How you doin'?
    Deifenbach: Pretty good, Mr. Lundegaard. You're damned hard to get on the phone.
    Jerry: Yah, it's pretty darned busy here, but that's the way we like it.
    Deifenbach: That's for sure. Now, I just need, on these last, these financing documents you sent us, I can't read the serial numbers of the vehicles on here, so I--
    Jerry: But I already got the, it's okay, the loans are in place, I already got the, the what, the -
    Deifenbach: Yeah, the three hundred and twenty thousand, you got the money last month.
    Jerry: Yah, so we're all set.
    Deifenbach: Yeah, but the vehicles you were borrowing on, I just can't read the serial numbers on your application. Maybe if you could just read them to me--
    Jerry: But the deal's already done, I already got the money.
    Deifenbach: Yeah, but we have an audit here, I just have to know that these vehicles you're financing with this money, that they really exist.
    Jerry: Yah, well, they exist all right.
    Deifenbach: I'm sure they do, but I can't read their serial numbers here. So if you could read me--
    Jerry: Well, but see... I don't have them in front of me. Why don't I just fax you over a copy?
    Deifenbach: No. Fax is no good, that's what I have and I can't read the darn thing.
    Jerry: Yah, okay, I'll have my girl send you over a copy, then.
    Deifenbach: Okay, because if I can't correlate this note with the specific vehicles, then I gotta call back that money.
    Jerry: Yah, how much money was that?
    Deifenbach: Three hundred and twenty thousand. See, I gotta correlate that money with the cars it's being lent on.
    Jerry: Yah, no problem, I'll just fax that over to ya, then.
    Deifenbach: No, no, fax is--
    Jerry: I mean send it over. I'll shoot it right over to ya.
    Deifenbach: Okay.
    Jerry: Okay, real good, then.

Well let's hope the wood chippers don't get involved...
creekbore

Activity: 210

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:45:12 AM

I don't want to refry the beans as it were but this is from Gox's latest PR:

BlockChain.info have implemented changes to address the malleability issue.
Our solution should work in the short term, while a longer-term solution is being
discussed with the Bitcoin Core Dev team and the Bitcoin Foundation. We are
also discussing this with other exchanges and businesses.

They imply they have taken charge of the situation and are leading the way in terms of resolution.  The last sentence suggests they control BTC itself.

Mark may have his faults but he knows (or someone there) knows how to spin a story.

In contrast, a blog post from the Foundation nearly a week ago:

The issues that Mt. Gox has been experiencing are due to an unfortunate interaction between Mt. Gox’s implementation of their highly customized wallet software, their customer support procedures, and their unpreparedness for transaction malleability, a technical detail that allows changes to the way transactions are identified.

A repudiation but flawed: hidden away; tempered (probably because Mark is on the board) and lacking a definitive conclusion.  The headline included the phrase "Bitcoin is not at fault" and this should surely have been included in this paragraph for both clarity and SEO.

"Great protocol, lousy PR" could be Bitcoin's epitaph by the end of the week.
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 04:49:48 AM

very interesting to a gorwing nobuer of poeple.....

r u accually dolan?
medialab101

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:52:33 AM

Blockchain.info just put this out:

Server Maintenance Notice

Posted on February 17, 2014 by cpzhao
We will be performing a server upgrade around 9:00 AM on Monday (2/17) GMT.  Some services will be interrupted for roughly 30 minutes.  We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Blockchain Team

I wonder if this is in any way tied to the changes that Gox implies Blockchain is implementing as part of the temporary fix to get withdrawals moving again.
CryptStorm

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:54:58 AM

Given the amount of negative BTC stories in the popular press this last week I thought I would check out what the Bitcoin Foundation was doing to counter some of it.  Apart from a couple of brief blog posts I couldn't find anything - which is very disheartening.

There is clearly a war being waged here (hearts and minds and all that) in the media and it seems BTC isn't even participating, there are a few champions but I'm actually quite disturbed there isn't a greater effort to counter to some of the nonsense being printed.

Bitcoin Jesus will save us

He does press releases, yeah?

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cexawnOlR8

Some old Youtube video isn't a press release....a press release is in text format, has a title and a date, a story and contact numbers for the lead 'actors' in the story....then lazy journalists cut and paste it, may be call a number for a quote, give it to a sub editor who actually does some work tidying it up, an editor waves it through, then it gets printed and lots of people believe its true because a journalist at the [insert name] wrote it.   

Most media outlets publish anything that lands on their desk without checking facts (blame time, blame money, blame falling standards).  Check out 'businessinsider.com.au' which last week published a press release verbatim about BTC which was a complete lie - Aussies to open world's first BTC bank - the world first actually opens in Cyprus next week.

See where I'm going with this...it's really easy to get your message across but the Bitcoin Foundation aren't participating in the game.....and people wonder why the market is crashing.

The press-release model, while important, is not necessarily the best way to get the word out. The r/Bitcoin Reddit, for instance, does more to get the Bitcoin message across better than any centralized press desk could.

As an ex-broadcast and print journalist I have to disagree - content/copy is gold and if you send it out it tends to get published.  MtGox may have many flaws but it puts out PR and has won this particular battle with regard to malleability.  The world now thinks BTC is flawed because that story made good headlines, and no-one bothered to counter it swiftly.  The disposable income that powered BTC to its last surge in price probably came from middle class families, who this last week have been bombarded by negative stories.  They may be online but they will still be reading traditional, trusted brands.

I'm wary of both reddit's accuracy but more so its penetration - like much social media it is an echo chamber.  Over-estimating its influence and under-estimating traditional outlets is strategic madness, if you want something as universal as 'new money' to gain traction.

Everyone knows the Foundation is dysfunctional and that their current role is basically limited to code maintenance.

...do they, I don't, where was this stated? 

Perhaps it was on Reddit?

Has someone told them?

But if they are dysfunctional, isn't the role of a 'community' to address these issues? 

Which is why I bring it up...let's get some press releases out guys!!!

I like the way you think creekbore-- nice to have a more strategic, general POV that accepts the truth of spin around here. Cheers!
CryptStorm

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:55:26 AM

So when can I cold store my coins?
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:57:53 AM

Bitcoin won't be having an epitaph by the end of the week. Gox, however, will. Because, at the end of the day, the people who decide if Bitcoin survives or not are the people who know what they're doing. The opinion of the masses are key to Bitcoins success, but not to its survival. Only those somewhat knowledgeable in BTC are required to keep Bitcoin afloat. And, presumably the knowledgeable folks recognize Gox for what it is. The worst case scenario, and I'm talking a complete cockup, FUD-tastic, super duper media rage scenario is that BTC goes down to $100 for a year while the airwaves are purified by time.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:02:00 AM

Are you in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:02:38 AM

So I wish I new how to show this, but I drew a line from the Dec 19 low on stamp to the Feb 9 low and it perfectly intersected the Feb 13 low, and it shows an upward slope.

This?

Thanks!

OK, I'm not on this thread everyday-- but, I gotta say, you guys are awesome (not Fonzie, which, as a side note, is my dog's name, doh)! I always feel like there are a handful of hard core, intelligent folks who are just kinda kicking ass.

Shouts to the very few I know, Vycid, Blitz, Niothor, Adambtsgststa, ElectricMucus, BitcoinAshley, Rampion, Goat, Aminorex, BillyJoelAllen,  solex, JataJuta, windjc, so many of you guys 'get it' and are a pleasure to be around. Just saying. Rock on. I need another beer, now.

Looking forward to the unwinding of this debacle (which, I unfortunately, did not trade awesomely, but should be ok), and the continuance of a legit ecosphere.

I personally think that this trend line will be broken in the weeks to come. Just a matter of time.

Long term Bitcoin going to the MOON.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1777

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:02:57 AM

Explanation
JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:04:54 AM

The worst case scenario, and I'm talking a complete cockup, FUD-tastic, super duper media rage scenario is that BTC goes down to $100 for a year

That's the worst case scenario? I think that'd be pretty good for BTC's long term success. It offers buying opportunity for everyone, it implies stability, it looks less like a "tulip bubble" to all those armchair economists and it would allow for real world applications to develop more easily.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:11:23 AM

The worst case scenario, and I'm talking a complete cockup, FUD-tastic, super duper media rage scenario is that BTC goes down to $100 for a year

That's the worst case scenario? I think that'd be pretty good for BTC's long term success. It offers buying opportunity for everyone, it implies stability, it looks less like a "tulip bubble" to all those armchair economists and it would allow for real world applications to develop more easily.

Impossible !
With this wave of new bitcoiners since november
Buying pressure (once this problem will be fixed) is toooo big.
Bitcoin is rare
+ Chinese NY is almost finish.

In 3 month, max for this summer, all this shit will be behind us, exept for Gox&Marc
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:12:48 AM

Worst case in terms of what everybody in my neighborhood thinks of me for the next year.
RandyMagnum

Activity: 662

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:22:13 AM

Are you in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere?

Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 4470 4471 4472 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 4480 4481 4482 4483 4484 4485 4486 4487 4488 4489 4490 4491 4492 4493 4494 4495 4496 4497 4498 4499 4500 4501 4502 4503 4504 4505 4506 4507 4508 4509 4510 4511 4512 4513 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 4519 [4520] 4521 4522 4523 4524 4525 4526 4527 4528 4529 4530 4531 4532 4533 4534 4535 4536 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 4542 4543 4544 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 4551 4552 4553 4554 4555 4556 4557 4558 4559 4560 4561 4562 4563 4564 4565 4566 4567 4568 4569 4570 ... 33355 »
  Print  

Jump to: