May 02, 2024, 10:45:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 4519 4520 4521 4522 4523 4524 4525 4526 4527 4528 4529 4530 4531 4532 4533 4534 4535 4536 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 4542 4543 4544 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 4551 4552 4553 4554 4555 4556 4557 4558 4559 4560 4561 4562 4563 [4564] 4565 4566 4567 4568 4569 4570 4571 4572 4573 4574 4575 4576 4577 4578 4579 4580 4581 4582 4583 4584 4585 4586 4587 4588 4589 4590 4591 4592 4593 4594 4595 4596 4597 4598 4599 4600 4601 4602 4603 4604 4605 4606 4607 4608 4609 4610 4611 4612 4613 4614 ... 33316 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371102 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
magicmexican

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:25:09 PM

What if Gox is actually broke and all that selling is just them selling imaginary coins that they dont have to get the last bit of money they can get?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:26:06 PM

the ones in Canada seemingly abide by the required laws as far as I have read.

I just saw that apparently Canadian banks have taken a turn for the worse...
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y7ln2/cointradernet_canadas_last_bitcoinfriendly_bank/

Seems like we are going to continue to see these kinds of regulation pressures from governments that are forcing banks to shut off these kinds of profitable services.   Though sometimes the banks are likely NOT very excited about Bitcoin - anyhow, and they probably feel as if they can make more money by sticking with fiat.....

"
"basically that means if you have bitcoins and live in canada, you will be unable to sell them on any exchange, even ones outside of the country as the [fiat] funds will be blocked from entering canada."

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

shitty i live in canada.

SELL AS LONG AS IT´s POSSIBLE ADAM. NOW!!!! RUN FOR YOUR FIAT!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y7ln2/cointradernet_canadas_last_bitcoinfriendly_bank/

Seems like we are going to continue to see these kinds of regulation pressures from governments that are forcing banks to shut off these kinds of profitable services.   Though sometimes the banks are likely NOT very excited about Bitcoin - anyhow, and they probably feel as if they can make more money by sticking with fiat.....

"
"basically that means if you have bitcoins and live in canada, you will be unable to sell them on any exchange, even ones outside of the country as the [fiat] funds will be blocked from entering canada."

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

shitty i live in canada.

SELL AS LONG AS IT´s POSSIBLE ADAM. NOW!!!! RUN FOR YOUR FIAT!

AHHHH OMG SELL EVERYTHING!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:28:46 PM

It doesn't sound like its as cut and dry as the article makes it sound. I haven't heard anything from cavirtex yet, and here's another version http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y9dkq/rumour_bank_of_montreal_closing_bitcoinrelated/

interesting.

cavirtex has all the appropriate licensing i believe
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:31:17 PM

Plus what would make you believe [Mark has the BTC]? Screenshot of bitcoinqt?

Someone suggested that he could tell the addresses and move the bitcoins among his addresses so prove that they are his.

I was being sarcastic, maybe I should have added the  Wink aswell  Cheesy

I'm not saying I know his cold storage arrangements but they will be very well locked down, private keys in super secure locations, probably key split  etc, so like said above not really trivial to just move coins among addresses.
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:32:29 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 06:44:51 PM by flynn

Maybe MK will move MtGox to Canada so he'll have another excuse to not sending the BTCs
fonzie

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:33:34 PM

5 Mio $ left on Gox before we go to 0.  Cool
Shouldn´t take more than 2 days.
smiley123

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:38:24 PM

What if Gox is actually broke and all that selling is just them selling imaginary coins that they dont have to get the last bit of money they can get?

This is what worries me.  If it was true, then I think they would also be motivated to keep the BTC price as low as they can so that people selling BTC would get less dollars for them.
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:41:07 PM

shitty i live in canada.

you need to get rid of Harper.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:41:15 PM

Just when you thought MK couldn't possibly be more obtuse:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y8ot2/we_are_very_surprised_anyone_could_blame_mtgox/

This is Asperger syndrome level incompetence. Without believing, I fully understand the tinfoil hat crew's assumption that he's driving the price down on purpose.  Hell, even the Silk Road 2 guy said "I failed you". It's a sad sad day when you have to look to criminals for lessons on leadership. The buck stops at the top. It happened on your watch, Mark. Own it.

magicmexican

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:41:41 PM

This is what worries me.  If it was true, then I think they would also be motivated to keep the BTC price as low as they can so that people selling BTC would get less dollars for them.

Ye i dunno, maybe i am over-thinking things, but selling on Gox doesnt really look like people panic selling, it has some sort of a "control" feel to it.

I dont know what to think, does he thinks that he is saving MtGox rep by doing these retarded interviews? I dont expect him to be that stupid.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

It doesn't sound like its as cut and dry as the article makes it sound. I haven't heard anything from cavirtex yet, and here's another version http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y9dkq/rumour_bank_of_montreal_closing_bitcoinrelated/

interesting.

Yes, cavirtex is fine.  

I also spoke by email with Eric from Bylls.com in Montreal this morning [this is the bitcoin-to-bill-pay service that allows you to pay your electricity and cable bill with bitcoins!!].  He says they have secured multiple banking relationships, so they are not affected.

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4466

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:43:48 PM

shitty i live in canada.

you need to get rid of Harper.

Amen
lemonte

Activity: 624
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:44:20 PM

Just when you thought MK couldn't possibly be more obtuse:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y8ot2/we_are_very_surprised_anyone_could_blame_mtgox/

This is Asperger syndrome level incompetence. Without believing, I fully understand the tinfoil hat crew's assumption that he's driving the price down on purpose.  Hell, even the Silk Road 2 guy said "I failed you". It's a sad sad day when you have to look to criminals for lessons on leadership. The buck stops at the top. It happened on your watch, Mark. Own it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1y9akl/mark_karpeles_petition_update/
fonzie

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:44:33 PM

What do you think? Is Mt. Gox having "Supplier consolidation and failures"?  Wink

It seems to be spot on. Looks like we have much room downards left...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:47:43 PM

fonzie

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:50:00 PM

"In the email interview, Mr. Karpelès responded to questions about the company's solvency or protection for customers' funds by saying that the matter is confidential."
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:57:33 PM

In the interest of saving forum space, I'll fit all the replies in one post.

Quote from: marcus_of_augustus link=topic=178336.msg5214663#msg5214663
hahaha, kkapser's a blowhard ... he's not writing 1000 lines of anything except pure unadulterated FUD.

1) every communist regime known has had rampant monetary inflation

2) the most prosperous nation and period known in economic history is the free market capitalism under the deflationary gold standard period of the 1800's in USA.

I can see that the the level of intelligence of the poster is in perfect correlation with the ability to spell my name..

1) Hyperinflation is as bad as hyperdeflation. Both are unstable forms of financial planning that will mess up the economy. While most of the communism countries suffered from hyperinflation, then hyperdeflation is the inevitable outcome of bitcoin.

2) Where the hell do you get this stuff?
Post-Revolutionary USA had economic growth first because of the success of cotton plantations and slavery, and after that, the industrial war nature of the civil war stimulated urbanization and building of railroads, all of this gave a boost to the economy.
Finance was a big mess in 1800s USA with series of failed banking acts and attempts to create a solid currency.

Quote from: Erdogan link=topic=178336.msg5214791#msg5214791

and consumption is made possible by production.

This is nonsense, every trade have two parties, that include you selling your work-hours.
Inflationary means the seller will quickly turn his new money into something of real value. Deflationary means that the buyer will quickly sell more to recoup his money. None of these forces have more weight than the other.

It doesn't work like that. Consumption creates production and not vice versa.
When Jack feels hunger, then Jack has to work before Jack can consume the food to satisfy his hunger.

Need for consumption always dictates the need of production. There is no need of production without the need of consumption.
So one does have more weigh then another.

Quote from: JayJuanGee link=topic=178336.msg5214816#msg5214816
surely I also believe in personal responsibility.. but there are also social systems that screw certain people... NOT everyone has an equal chance, contrary to the lore.

Well, thats life that everyone won't have an equal chance. The same thing is already set by nature, with some born weaker, shorter or with less intellectual potential. Life isn't fair and it sucks.
Communism actually had a goal to make things fair to everyone. It failed because it was unnatural and only created more problems then it solved.

NO HATING>>>>>> but You seem to be talking out of your ass to some extent about a prediction that everyone will be poorer.... You are trying to extrapolate some simple dynamics and paint a simple picture.... I just DONT buy it, but it does NOT seem to be worth arguing about.
I'm not inventing the wheel here with saying that inflation is more effective in aspect of economic strength. Academics who are a lot smarter on the subject then me and you have disputed the same subject and still the answer has emerged that controlled and stable inflation is the best way to go when considering economic strength.
But remember, with bitcoin we are not talking about controlled and stable deflation. We are talking about uncontrollable hyperdeflation.

You are leaving a lot of holes in your scenario... but there is some truth to the fact that the big guns may have a lot of money to throw against bitcoin and to develop competition... so that will be interesting to see how that plays out... and how many people die because of this battle.

Your description of their planning their entrance strategy is a bit off base, though... b/c probably they are just a bit overwhelmed and confused and do NOT really know what to do about BTC.

When you'll find holes in my scenario then point them out and I'm happy to dispute or to agree with you.
My speculation about what are the "big boys" doing is far fetched I agree. It's solely based on assumption on what I would do if I were in their shoes. Assumptions like this have mostly served me right.

nonsense. when a person wants to use the bitcoin protocol, he or she can just do so. it´s free. (almost) no fees. if i decide to buy some sneakers and pay with bitcoin, well yes, i have to take some of my money and convert it into bitcoin. but that money is just the price of the sneaker - not the price for bitcoin. i don´t have to pay a premium because i use bitcoin. it´s free.

Nah, it's not free. Service companies similar to bitpay, who take care of the conversion, have to pay the early adoptors for the privilege to use the "protocol". Everyone who has to hold their value in bitcoin have to pay tribute to the early adopters.
This is the pyramid scheme part that attracts those big herds of people who wish to get rich quick without doing any work. This hyperdeflation part is good for attracting simple minded folks with promises of easy riches, but it makes bitcoin useless as an serious financial tool.
The enthusiasts make it sound like they are all about financial liberty, while actually they are just hoping for wealth redistribution. They don't want to change the world in a way that there won't be a class of wealthy elite people who only enjoy luxury without doing much work. They even want to increase this mentality and only change the people who are at the top, so they themselves can be there.

don´t be bitter. be thankful you did find out about it. you are an early adopter. join us & be happy.  Wink

It's too hard to lie to myself and pretend that all is fine. I'm not very good at comforting myself with false hopes made out of pretty illusions. I would be happy and calm if I would truly see that this will work. But I can't, no matter how much I try, I still see the ugly truth.

LOL. The concept of group dynamics and open source and first mover advantage is completely lost on this guy. He's got a lot of learning to do.

First mover advantage is the only thing that bitcoin has. The only reason why it's more expensive then the tens of other altcoins that have been created from the same source.
Rest doesn't mean much tho, because the development in bitcoin source is very slow and it's actually crippled by core properties like work-of-proof mining and 10 minute transaction times. You can only better the GUI and fix some bugs while you can't develop the core properties that actually need development the most.

Perhaps it seems that way but wealth can be stored in other means than cash. It does not neccessarily increase my consumption. Whether people 'save' in production should be a free choice to make, not a forced one.

And you can freely save up by buying necessary goods that hold value. Inflation doesn't stop you for doing that. Inflation only pushes you towards using your money on something, not just sitting on money.
Production isn't forced, but it's favored because it does increase it's countries economic strength. And economic strength is the thing that decides the survival of the fittest in the modern world.
Controlled and stable deflation system could also be used like the an stable and controlled inflation system. But the first country will always have less production then the last one.
But with bitcoin we are not talking about controlled and stable deflation, we are talking about inevitable uncontrollable hyperdeflation. And hyperdeflation is just as bad as hyperinflation, because the instability creates a lot of problems that will slow down the economy.

Broken window fallacy. Don't just know it, understand it. Then you might understand why production and consumption are not worthy goals in and of themselves.

Broken window fallacy isn't exactly an outcome of an strong and growing economy, but it is caused by the corrupt public sector that I talked about.
When world leaders decide to wage wars to stimulate the economy, then the economy is not to be blamed here. You could also start huge scientific projects with goals to colonize other planets or discover new ways to extract energy. This would stimulate the economy just as well as starting wars.
But people are to blame here who elect weak and corrupt politicians who act on the orders of warmongers, not on recommendations of top scientists. To make it short, broken window fallacy is cased by the lack of proper vision.

I hope I didn't miss anyone..

In the interest of saving forum space, I'll just point you in the general direction of reason and logic. Since you post here, you must have access to the internetz. Did you see what I did here? Reason and logic trumps ignorance, always.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:57:50 PM

interesting.

Yes, cavirtex is fine.  

I also spoke by email with Eric from Bylls.com in Montreal this morning [this is the bitcoin-to-bill-pay service that allows you to pay your electricity and cable bill with bitcoins!!].  He says they have secured multiple banking relationships, so they are not affected.

omg why wasn't i told about this
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:01:41 PM

I don't understand why Bitcoin ATMs are such a big deal. It's almost like a kiosk for paying a credit card bill or something. Why would I pay a ridiculous premium for something I can do for so much cheaper at my own home?

Neither do I, but appearantly people like the instant transaction without the need to register and so on. Anyway it is a free market, and any project is a positive addition to the ecosystem. I hope they can make a profit from it.
Pages: « 1 ... 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 4519 4520 4521 4522 4523 4524 4525 4526 4527 4528 4529 4530 4531 4532 4533 4534 4535 4536 4537 4538 4539 4540 4541 4542 4543 4544 4545 4546 4547 4548 4549 4550 4551 4552 4553 4554 4555 4556 4557 4558 4559 4560 4561 4562 4563 [4564] 4565 4566 4567 4568 4569 4570 4571 4572 4573 4574 4575 4576 4577 4578 4579 4580 4581 4582 4583 4584 4585 4586 4587 4588 4589 4590 4591 4592 4593 4594 4595 4596 4597 4598 4599 4600 4601 4602 4603 4604 4605 4606 4607 4608 4609 4610 4611 4612 4613 4614 ... 33316 »
  Print  

Jump to: