June 20, 2024, 10:28:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4884 4885 4886 4887 4888 4889 4890 4891 4892 4893 4894 4895 4896 4897 4898 4899 4900 4901 4902 4903 4904 4905 4906 4907 4908 4909 4910 4911 4912 4913 4914 4915 4916 4917 4918 4919 4920 4921 4922 4923 4924 4925 4926 4927 4928 4929 4930 4931 4932 4933 [4934] 4935 4936 4937 4938 4939 4940 4941 4942 4943 4944 4945 4946 4947 4948 4949 4950 4951 4952 4953 4954 4955 4956 4957 4958 4959 4960 4961 4962 4963 4964 4965 4966 4967 4968 4969 4970 4971 4972 4973 4974 4975 4976 4977 4978 4979 4980 4981 4982 4983 4984 ... 33465 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26403935 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:42:09 PM

Is this thing fucking BULLISH HuhHuh
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1z37zw/mt_gox_has_at_least_200k_btc/
Please, clear it to me.

From this we can see that the original addresses where MtGox proved they had the private keys (a few year backs) are still untouched . This probably means that Gox doesn't have direct access to them.  if the 750K is to be believed.

I doubt Mark has lost the keys, so I can believe they have been 'off limits' by order of the US government, who is investigating Silk Road.
And each time someone verifies a dodgy account, the US government checks them out.
So maybe some of the  BTC is not lost, just inaccessible (as Mark said in IRC).
But no more info from Mark because of a Gag Order.

-But some facts would be nice Smiley
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:43:37 PM

*snip

Lot of disinfos... not helped by silence from Mt Gox...

What we need is for MK to come out and say - all is lost, and this is the cause, or all is not lost, you need to wait until x.

The fact that we have not had one or the other is odd- and as little as I trust MK, I do not trust twobit not one bit.

not gonna happen. they just stole the coins and are never going to admit it. instead, they will hide behind that malleability problem. You'll NEVER get a clear statement whatsoever

It's so much more than "odd". At this point it's just poof of guilt. They're just preparing to sell the business (without the coins...) and then, adios amigos...

(i am using "them" because i believe that in order for Gox employees to keep their mouth shut until now, they should have had some piece of dat huge cake too.)

yah... but even if that is the case a statement saying "all coins are lost" would still be in order.

Dragonkiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:45:17 PM

Please, clear it to me.

From this we can see that the original addresses where MtGox proved they had the private keys (a few year backs) are still untouched . This probably means that Gox doesn't have direct access to them.  if the 750K is to be believed.

I doubt Mark has lost the keys, so I can believe they have been 'off limits' by order of the US government, who is investigating Silk Road.
And each time someone verifies a dodgy account, the US government checks them out.

The wallets belonging to Gox that people have found so far (containing about 550k BTC) have not been touched since 2011.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:47:48 PM

Please, clear it to me.

The wallets belonging to Gox that people have found so far (containing about 550k BTC) have not been touched since 2011.

This is what's happend when more people come with bitcoins than people want withdrawals them
fluidjax

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:48:02 PM

Please, clear it to me.

Yes you are right, this is could be  a fact, 550K + a possible 70K.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:49:45 PM

It's becoming more and more clear that the coins haven't been stolen, they've just lost the keys lol. Once this is confirmed, should be very bullish.

I don't think that the loss of those coins, per se, would have any effect.  

Think of the exchanges as water tanks where water represents bitcoins in the market, and the water level is the inverse price (how many BTC one can buy with one dollar).

The tanks are connected by pipes at the bottom (coin withdrawals and deposits) so the hydrostatic principle (arbitrage) keeps the water level about the same in all tanks. If one pours more water into any tank (brings more coins to the market) the level in all tanks goes up (meaning the price goes down).  The opposite happens if one takes water out of one tank (buys coins and puts them in cold storage).

If the MtGOX theft did happen, then at some point in the past, someone siphoned most of the water out of the MtGOX tank to a private barrel.  I the keys were lost, most of the water in that tank leaked out and was permanetly lost.  In either case, Mark put some bricks into the tank (hid the theft) so that people would not notice the loss, and the water level was not affected.   Then a few days ago the pipes out of that tank  were closed (withdrawals were blocked),  and the tank was disconnected and removed it from the system.   That would not affect the water level in the other tanks either.

If the theft happened, and the thief then dumped the water in other tanks (sold the coins in other markets), then there was indeed a net rise in the water level (a fall in market price); but that is past history.  

We may expect an effect only if the coins were stolen but have not been not sold yet EDIT: and are sold now.

(This analogy is imperfect because it does not model the money flows, but hopefully it is enough to argue the point.)
Dragonkiller

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:52:41 PM

It's becoming more and more clear that the coins haven't been stolen, they've just lost the keys lol. Once this is confirmed, should be very bullish.

Think of the exchanges as water tanks where water represents bitcoins in the market, and the water level is the inverse price (how many BTC one can buy with one dollar).

The tanks are connected by pipes at the bottom (coin withdrawals and deposits) so the hydrostatic principle (arbitrage) keeps the water level about the same in all tanks. If one pours more water into any tank (brings more coins to the market) the level in all tanks goes up (meaning the price goes down).  The opposite happens if one takes water out of one tank (buys coins and puts them in cold storage).

If the MtGOX theft did happen, then at some point in the past, someone siphoned most of the water out of the MtGOX tank to a private barrel.  I the keys were lost, most of the water in that tank leaked out and was permanetly lost.  In either case, Mark put some bricks into the tank (hid the theft) so that people would not notice the loss, and the water level was not affected.   Then a few days ago the pipes out of that tank  were closed (withdrawals were blocked),  and the tank was disconnected and removed it from the system.   That would not affect the water level in the other tanks either.

If the theft happened, and the thief then dumped the water in other tanks (sold the coins in other markets), then there was indeed a net rise in the water level (a fall in market price); but that is past history.  

We may expect an effect only if the coins were stolen but have not been not sold yet EDIT: and are sold now.

(This analogy is imperfect because it does not model the money flows, but hopefully it is enough to argue the point.)

I am talking about a case in which the private keys have been lost, in which case 750k BTC has been taken out of the total money supply. If they have been stolen (but the keys are still known) it shouldn't have much of an affect.
fluidjax

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:56:59 PM

I am talking about a case in which the private keys have been lost, in which case 750k BTC has been taken out of the total money supply. If they have been stolen (but the keys are still known) it shouldn't have much of an affect.

If the keys are lost, it brings up an argument to fork the block chain, and change the code to manually recover the money. To a new address. A lot of people would support it. (and many would be against)... talk about polarising the Bitcoin community.
Dragonkiller

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:57:05 PM

Please, clear it to me.

Yes you are right, this is could be  a fact, 550K + a possible 70K.

That's why I think it's unlikely it's a legal issue. I think he had lost the keys a long time ago and has been running a fractional reserve all along. Although I don't have much of an explanation for why he couldn't keep running the fractional reserve (unless some coins were stolen due to malleability issue).
F-bernanke

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:57:38 PM

Senator Joe Manchin  (who wants to BAN BTC) Was at the Yellen Hearing just now.

He asked Yellen of this was possible.

Yellen replied that there is no central issuer and no central bank, and it is decentralized, it is hard to regulate and the FED has no plans to do that.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:58:45 PM

Senator Joe Manchin  (who wants to BAN BTC) Was at the Yellen Hearing just now.

Yellen replied that there is no central issuer and no central bank, and it is decentralized, it is hard to regulate and the FED has no plans to do that.

bullisshhhhhhh
F-bernanke

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:01:01 PM

bullisshhhhhhh

He feared the US tax payer would end up being the bagholder, so our bearfriend Joe is bearish  Wink
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:02:09 PM

Yes, a multi sign wallet with backup on several place... It's a joke ?
Maybe a judge got all the copy because gox are in a trial ?

I think it's a technical issue, not a legal one. They almost certainly also have legal problems, but I don't think the loss of access to coins is a legal issue.
I take this from reddit but it's my vue too

IMO the banks have barred access to accounts and deposit boxes due to some injunction with cooperation of the Japanese government, and the gag orders and subpoenas prevent him from saying "boo" about it.

This was a possible explanation posted by someone on this thread. I definitely think a technical issue is more likely.

--

From reading this chat log (if its authentic) I immediately come to the following conclusions:

They did not have a cold wallet, it was one huge hot wallet, implemented by MT.
Occasionally it lost (or failed to store correctly or deleted¹) private keys of its own change outputs ('not "lost" just yet, just temporarily unavailable')
He seems to believe the keys are still there somewhere buried deeply somewhere in his database server ('We haven't given up')

User initiates withdrawal:

* debit amount from user account
* generate new private key for change address and create tx
* store tx in database (indexed by txid)
* store private key in database (indexed by address, foreign_key=txid)
* push tx to network

a week later (cron job)

* for all unconfirmed tx older than 1 week:
*     credit BTC back to customer account
*     delete "invalid" tx
*         -> cascaded delete "unused" change address and its private key (ouch!)

run 2 years until wallet is dry, all supposed UTXO turn out to be STXO and all real UTXO are in nirvana already.

'

Dude you made me laugh! Not because of your explanation, which is brilliant, but because lots of people entrusted their coins to some incompetent, PHP-does-it-all fatso.
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:02:27 PM

source?
Dragonkiller

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:06:17 PM

Yes, a multi sign wallet with backup on several place... It's a joke ?
Maybe a judge got all the copy because gox are in a trial ?

I think it's a technical issue, not a legal one. They almost certainly also have legal problems, but I don't think the loss of access to coins is a legal issue.
I take this from reddit but it's my vue too

IMO the banks have barred access to accounts and deposit boxes due to some injunction with cooperation of the Japanese government, and the gag orders and subpoenas prevent him from saying "boo" about it.

This was a possible explanation posted by someone on this thread. I definitely think a technical issue is more likely.

--

From reading this chat log (if its authentic) I immediately come to the following conclusions:

They did not have a cold wallet, it was one huge hot wallet, implemented by MT.
Occasionally it lost (or failed to store correctly or deleted¹) private keys of its own change outputs ('not "lost" just yet, just temporarily unavailable')
He seems to believe the keys are still there somewhere buried deeply somewhere in his database server ('We haven't given up')

User initiates withdrawal:

* debit amount from user account
* generate new private key for change address and create tx
* store tx in database (indexed by txid)
* store private key in database (indexed by address, foreign_key=txid)
* push tx to network

a week later (cron job)

* for all unconfirmed tx older than 1 week:
*     credit BTC back to customer account
*     delete "invalid" tx
*         -> cascaded delete "unused" change address and its private key (ouch!)

run 2 years until wallet is dry, all supposed UTXO turn out to be STXO and all real UTXO are in nirvana already.

'

Dude you made me laugh! Not because of your explanation, which is brilliant, but because lots of people entrusted their coins to some incompetent, PHP-does-it-all fatso.

Oh it's not my explanation, can't take credit for it. Someone posted it in this thread earlier.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:06:47 PM

If the keys are lost, it brings up an argument to fork the block chain, and change the code to manually recover the money. To a new address. A lot of people would support it. (and many would be against)... talk about polarising the Bitcoin community.

It won't work. Without the private key, how Mark could prove those are really gox's coins?
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:07:52 PM

Are you serious? Someone loses a private key and the community goes like "Ok, let's fork and get the coins back to the stupid faces!"?   Huh

I only found 180 000 coins on this two addresses of the reddit link. So you mean, it is possible, that they don't have the private keys anymore?

This mentioned address is not too old (end of april 2013).
https://blockchain.info/de/address/1HQ3Go3ggs8pFnXuHVHRytPCq5fGG8Hbhx

This one, with 111,000. This is touched 2011 the last time (exept of this small "donations")
https://blockchain.info/address/1933phfhK3ZgFQNLGSDXvqCn32k2buXY8a

btw: x% of the coins are owned by 100 individuals. I like statistics^^
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:08:57 PM

So let me get this straight, it only took a simple check of addresses associated with MTgox to completely undermine the credibility of the crisis plan document and show that Gox is in fact solvent.

Woah bit hard to get my head around this but that logically means that pre-announcement Gox coins should be trading at around .5 , yet are being traded for just 0.06 at the moment on Bitcoin Builder.com. 1000% profit? yes please I'm going to get over there now!!!
raid_n

Activity: 269

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:10:14 PM

It won't work. Without the private key, how Mark could prove those are really gox's coins?

Not just that. You'd try to open pandora's box. I highly doubt the devs would ever put that into a protocol update.
And even if they did at least a majority of miners would then have to move to that change.
Even attempting this would destroy bitcoin
F-bernanke

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:11:33 PM

source?

I'm listening the live stream:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-27/yellen-testifies-senate-live-stream
Pages: « 1 ... 4884 4885 4886 4887 4888 4889 4890 4891 4892 4893 4894 4895 4896 4897 4898 4899 4900 4901 4902 4903 4904 4905 4906 4907 4908 4909 4910 4911 4912 4913 4914 4915 4916 4917 4918 4919 4920 4921 4922 4923 4924 4925 4926 4927 4928 4929 4930 4931 4932 4933 [4934] 4935 4936 4937 4938 4939 4940 4941 4942 4943 4944 4945 4946 4947 4948 4949 4950 4951 4952 4953 4954 4955 4956 4957 4958 4959 4960 4961 4962 4963 4964 4965 4966 4967 4968 4969 4970 4971 4972 4973 4974 4975 4976 4977 4978 4979 4980 4981 4982 4983 4984 ... 33465 »
  Print  

Jump to: