June 28, 2024, 10:24:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 29139 29140 29141 29142 29143 29144 29145 29146 29147 29148 29149 29150 29151 29152 29153 29154 29155 29156 29157 29158 29159 29160 29161 29162 29163 29164 29165 29166 29167 29168 29169 29170 29171 29172 29173 29174 29175 29176 29177 29178 29179 29180 29181 29182 29183 29184 29185 29186 29187 29188 [29189] 29190 29191 29192 29193 29194 29195 29196 29197 29198 29199 29200 29201 29202 29203 29204 29205 29206 29207 29208 29209 29210 29211 29212 29213 29214 29215 29216 29217 29218 29219 29220 29221 29222 29223 29224 29225 29226 29227 29228 29229 29230 29231 29232 29233 29234 29235 29236 29237 29238 29239 ... 33489 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26408018 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 02:18:58 AM

Just want to point out by mid december we'll have hit 90% total bitcoin supply mined.  can someone say f o m o
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 02:30:55 AM

Not for a self contained unit, your thinking of the actual home heaters that plumb into the existing system I think.

Those have come a long way as well and I might pick one up next year or if a ac unit bites it this year.

^^^ this is a self contained one.

The important thing to remember for heat pumps is they don't work well if the outside temperature drops below about 40F (about 4C). I have a dual gas/heat pump system which gives pretty good results.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 02:36:34 AM

Which opens another existential discussion/question: why do we have to have money (be it BTC or whatever) and therefore "buy" our freedom? Weren't we supposed to be born with freedom?

Well... Just another example of WO and Ivory Tower blending "zusammen"...

Depends on the freedom. You're free to wander out into the world and starve to death. You'll never be free from the laws of thermodynamics.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 5052

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 02:46:23 AM

Not for a self contained unit, your thinking of the actual home heaters that plumb into the existing system I think.

Those have come a long way as well and I might pick one up next year or if a ac unit bites it this year.

^^^ this is a self contained one.

The important thing to remember for heat pumps is they don't work well if the outside temperature drops below about 40F (about 4C). I have a dual gas/heat pump system which gives pretty good results.

Yeah, efficiency drops off quickly the lower the temps but they have made serious gains in efficiency the last few years. My intent would be to replace the ac units and have it to augment the furnace. I haven't decided whether to get a geo one or not.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 03:01:34 AM

Explanation
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 03:09:45 AM

Yeah, efficiency drops off quickly the lower the temps but they have made serious gains in efficiency the last few years. My intent would be to replace the ac units and have it to augment the furnace. I haven't decided whether to get a geo one or not.

A Geo one *will* work in lower temperatures as it draws heat from underground as opposed to air. Much better system to be honest.

Now that I think about it maybe I should replace my natural gas unit with a geothermal. I wonder if it's worth it. Hm......
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 03:43:16 AM

... they also rely on electricity supply, about ~25% of the heat shifted is consumed in electricity for the best efficiency pumps.

... if it is mission critical to keep the heat flowing probably plan on back-up generation in case of main/grid electrical failure
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10446

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 03:45:46 AM
Merited by dragonvslinux (1)

[quotations trimmed]

I'm not sure of the specific beairsh theory, but I don't see it as being laughable to be objective and consider "shit, maybe we are all wrong".

You may have been misunderstanding the kind of disagreement that I was having with goldkingcoiner, because initially, when he posted his chart with down arrows and he proclaimed that he thought that we might be in 2018 - I thought that perhaps he had just made a mistake or perhaps a joke.

Yes I did misunderstand the disagreement, based on not knowing what it was at all. This was admittedly part of the intent in order to get such an awesome organic response from you, as well as pretending you are perma-bull when I know much better 🙃 Currently out of merit as shat it out in speculation board, but have bookmarked. Also in order to likely return to as a useful text to return to in the near future for a reminder of your insight.

I'm well aware of your relatively conservative analysis and strategy, and personally felt in need of it (alternative analysis and indicators) while Bitcoin price is fucking around at the 200 Day MA in an indecisive way  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sometimes I feel as if I am just making shit up, and I have no grounding.  I have been especially beaten up by some technical analysis guys on this point for proclaiming that I am not grounded enough or that I am not in a position to meaningfully criticize some of their technical analysis because I don't adequately understand what the fuck they are saying (and surely there is some truth in some of those criticisms).

Similar to LFC's emotional response indicator,

hahahahahaha   One of the great things about that, is that he is not faking it (at least as far as I can tell)

the length and energy you put into your replies appears to be a good emotional indicator for your underlying confidence in my opinion, also quite helpful.

I'm not even sure.  Sometimes, I just am already inclined to say something on a topic or the post of another person just causes me to consider another angle that might need to be pointed out.

I hope you don't feel manipulated by elements of my intentional ignorance, I'm quite the antagnostic at heart I know. If I had simply asked you "Hey wordy, what you fink right now then?", the reply wouldn't have been no where near the same.

You are right.. Tone and appearance of genuineness can change the response.

Sometimes I overly go on the aggressive because I notice some kind of dig that might need to be addressed.  Other times, I might not get aggressive, even if someone might have intended something as a kind of "dig."  I am not sure if I want to provide any examples, but sometimes a person will insult in a certain kind of angle that just comes off as so desperate that it is humorous, and it ONLY needs to be responded to in a humerous way rather than really taking it seriously.  I just thought of a decent example... several members used to go after my avatar quite a bit, and seemingly in serious ways trying to get under my skin, and really it should be quite difficult to let those kinds of attacks get to you.. My avatar has been less of a topic in recent times, and probably the hat, glasses and the recently added laser eyes kind of obscures it, anyhow.  

After all, we are just people on the internet having a discussion I'd like to think. I apologize if my actions were out of line though, I don't mean to offend Smiley

Some of us are people.   Wink

I've noticed the volatility of BTC used to be way scarier than this in the past. However I am seeing some eerily similiar patterns from 2018. Market Cap drop to $1T soon?

Hahaha I remember a friend pointing me to a chart like this that were spreading like a virus among newbies it seems, the $30-65K crowd basically. There were also quite a few varieties if not mistaken. Personally I wasn't paying much attention, instead staying away from the short-term noise, instead focusing on the 50% discount opportunities around this time.

Actually, you are correct that there can be some humor in the fact that certain kinds of price theory themes seem to come up at similar times... so sure there might be some questions regarding how much weight to give them.. and another aspect is that some people do give some weight to public sentiments (even if they might be wrong) they sometimes can drive price, especially on the margins.. or to exacerbate an already existing condition.

I won't mention what they were, as was shitcoin orientated, but fuck did it pay off nicely for satoshi profits. It was otherwise when the market was in extreme fear if not mistaken though. For me when my friend showed me this I literally said "it's a buy signal". He obviously didn't understand why, but I elaborated that long-term analysis done in linear is always untrustworthy (should be in log for starters + proper chart ideally), followed by the fact that suddenly LOADZ of people had decided they had become experts in technical analysis overnight, whereas before their reasons for buying Bitcoin was "cos price go moon". No wonder the shakeout was so aggressive.

For sure.. I would not proclaim that sometimes opportunities are just screaming for persons in a position to jump in at the right time (and could be bitcoin or some random shitcoin.. but sure, about 97.5% of the time I don't play around with shitcoins, even I might feel some decent confidence in an opportunity.. but I cannot say that I have never dabbled a wee bit.. just for funzies.. but frequently my head hurts to even think about matters like shitcoins, even if there seems to be some kind of funzies opportunity that could stack some sats or potentially send some kind of ideological message.

I then showed him a log chart of Bitcoin, and drew some crude arrows to the upside in random fashion and asked: "do you believe this TA?". He obviously didn't, so instead I helped him set a big buy order for second round of $30K and stuck to the plan: buy fear Cool Like you, he's just stacking sats whenever there is a discount, this after buying up bear market dips followed by leaning into early momentum. I advise him to take some partial profits in order to "feel a bit better" about his investments, in case he has any doubts, but his response is always "nah". He's got his 10 year plan and sticking to it (2019-2029). The hardened investors will always be the ones who outperform traders. It's such an emotionless state, one I am not able to fully achieve personally.

It can be fun to share ideas with folks, even if you might not be on the same page.. and for sure, sometimes the information does not sink in or they keep talking about blah blah blah .. which seems irrelevant, but hard to get the ideas out of their head, even if seeming to have had provided slam dunk evidence and arguments against.

So, initially, I was just seeking clarification including my assertion that it's not too likely that we are in 2018... .  but instead of explaining himself, goldkingcoiner went into combative mode including wiffle waffling all over the place and even changing his position... and even waffling more when the BTC price went against his nonsense.

Oh, one of those analysis types. Good to know  Tongue

I had not remembered seeing that kind of flip-floppiness coming from him before, so I was a bit surprised.. and so that back and forth could have been an aberration, perhaps?

So frequently, I am criticizing others who are coming out with high levels of certainty, and I have even criticized you on that basis a few times - which surely is one of the risks that can come about when you plot price predictions on charts because they might start to imply higher levels of confidence than what you had even originally intended to communicate.

For sure you have, and it's always been appreciated, even if slightly frustrating as is often misunderstood to some degree. Being 95% confident doesn't necessarily mean I'm betting 95% on a price move, at most I'll be putting 5% of my portfolio into a decent dip, otherwise trading with 1-2% capital at a time. This I think you know and I've clarified for you.

You are right.. you have probably explained yourself previously on these kinds of points.

I can kind of relate.  For example, I consider that I really am ONLY opening and closing longs, but I try to set my longs in such a way that I don't give hardly any shits which way the BTC price goes, so even if the bullishness or bearishness of the short-to-medium bitcoin price dynamics changes, my orders do not tend to change until they start to seem like they are starting to get kind of far removed from my overall feeling of the situation.. so every once in a while I will go in there and totally restructure everything to make me feel more better overall... but in the whole scheme of things, it will not be a whole hell of a lot of a difference, and sometimes I can just go in and change a few orders on one side or another, and I am back into emotionally neutral territory.

Being wrong 20-30% of the time with my positions doesn't effect me. I've learnt from previous mistakes of over-leveraging, to the point of under-leveraging, and now I've found the statistical balance for maximum gains that I am able to achieve.

Yep, even though I don't use leverage I do understand the concept, and I understand how the orders could be structured in ways that they are in the ball park of profitable no matter what (but they are leaning more towards one direction or another depending upon your analysis of likely price direction).

That said, as you might remember, since $10K I was "all in" with 99%, eventually trading up tax costs to $20k. I've kept that down to 95% of wealth now, as it's emotionally healthier. Many say "fuck that's way too much", but I always remind them "never bet more than you are willing to lose". Being willing to lose it all and start again from scratch doesn't bother or concern me. Sure it would be a bit annoying, but my 95% confidence means I'll always want to be 95% in, otherwise I'm not putting my money where my mouth is. I wouldn't call it certainty though, that's an impossibility based on the definition of the term;

I put quite a bit of value in capital preservation, so the idea of losing great amounts of capital does not rub me very well.

Quote from: certainty definition
n.   The fact, quality, or state of being certain, especially:
n.   Inevitability.
n.   The quality of being established as true.

Certainty implies, by default, being 100% sure about something. I always say nothing is inevitable, even if I base my decisions on extremely high probabilities. I've never been 100% certain, only 99% at best, which while this was completely irrational at the time and deep down was more like 95%, I felt the need to take as much risk as possible at the point in time that offered the best reward and only comes around every 4 years: confirmation of the end of the bear market.

To each their own.. I would not be able to personally play that kind of style very well, but I could see that if I wanted to play that game, then I could take 20% or more of my total bitcoin portfolio value and start to fuck around with it without hardly giving any shits (because there are already so many profits in there), and in that regard, I could completely categorize that money as already just taking from profits..   By the way, without getting into too many accounting details, there are ways that I could categorize my whole damned bitcoin portfolio as profits, and just start fucking round with all of it because I have decided to categorize it as such.

In any event, I just cannot see myself changing my style, yet perhaps if I was 1) younger, 2) looking for an adventure in life or 3) having some desires to learn some new skills with a decent amount of capital, I could likely cause my fuck you potential stash of 0.21 BTC to go to zero.. hahahahaha.  

I am not going to do it.. just having thought-experiment fun, here.  

Simply because it felt right, an emotional confidence booster. I wanted to pay half price on taxes, knowing that I could take the hit if I would be wrong. It wouldn't be so much of a "hit", much more likely taking profits at an inferior price, which would feel a bit degrading but needs must etc.

Sometimes it could pay off to take some chances.  I am NOT going to say that I never do.  

That reminds me.  About 3 months ago (right around the time of the May crash), I recall talking with one of my cousins about various shitcoins that I happen to still have from 2016-ish/2017, and in some sense I was trying to poo-poo the value of those stupid shitcoins and that I did not care about them because they were worthless to me, but as I was describing them, I could tell that I probably was saying too much, and I was NOT even trying to be bragging - because each piece of shitcoin that I had been describing as being unimportant to me had value in my wallet of several times of all his shitcoin investments put together that he was making a BIG deal about, and he seem to have some envy about the shitcoins that I held and how profitable that they were, and I kept telling him that I considered each and everyone of those shitcoins to be worthless while his eyes were glazing over with envy both in terms of the quantity of value and the quantity of profits (in terms of dollars) that each of them had. as I was describing them.. and I said that I give no shits about those shitcoins... which was true... and still remains true because I have not really touched them and I did a quick look at them, and they seem to have retained their dollar value from late May to present.. and I still don't care about them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you can't have a level of certainty, as would be a contradiction. As defined above, it's effectively a constant (static), not a variable (fluid).

Of course, level of certainty is something that moves, but if it is largely 50/50 for me, and just gravitating towards one side or another, then I am not fucking around with the slight changes, even if I had already said that my confidence about the bottom of $28,600 being "in" to currently be at about 63%, there is not a whole hell of a lot that I need to or want to change based on going from 50/50 three weeks ago and now up to in the ballpark of 63% currently.  

Sure maybe I can trade on that increased level of confidence in small ways such as going out and buying a steak dinner rather than eating chicken mcnuggets and also maybe I can get a wee bit more cocky, and sure there can be things that I can do on the margins, but I might not be making any kinds of major changes in what I am doing merely based on a move up in confidence from 50% to 63%.

You probably mean high levels of confidence, or outright certaintityy for example. It's like saying "high levels of inevitability". If it's inevitable, there can't be a variable to that inevitability. It's a binary concept, surely. 0 or 1.

I am more certain about describing something from the past than about what may or may not happen in the future.    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  But even describing the past might not be 100% if you don't know all the facts - and sure some might proclaim that the past is 100% regarding what actually happened, but your description, framing and how much weight to give to various causations may well be quite short of 100%.

I was 95% sure the bull-run would continue, which very much appears to be the case now fortunately. I'd still put a 1-2% chance of being wrong however, as nothing to is a guarantee in life. It'd be naive to consider the statistical or data science models, whether that be log growth or stock to flow, to be right 100% of the time. That's how you can get completely rekt long-term.

Again.. you seem to be assigning way higher levels of confidence than me, and those are the kinds of confidence levels that I will usually criticize the fuck out of, whether to the UPside or the DOWNside, even though I do let a lot of what I perceive to be the overly bullishness towards the UPside slide more frequently than I would for the same overly confident DOWNside assertions (and I believe I have good reasons to do that.. because no matter what, we have the underlying UPside price pressure dynamics, especially the exponential s-curve adoption aspect, whether peeps want to believe or acknowledge or not.

For sure, criticize away. With the probability I'm playing with I'm always able to be wrong about it 5% of the time without losing money in the long run. I always have a backup plan, even if it's not what I'd want to implement, it will happen if necessary. Like if price does break below $30K again after getting rejected from $50K, I'd take the necessary profits, and accept the fact of being relatively wrong, with the possibility of spending more years accumulating, also fine by me. Knowing that 1 in every 20 times I'm 95% sure, the chances are that I'll be wrong. I also do prefer the bear market / accumulation part of Bitcoin's current cycle. I love the fear, as well as they theory that time is your friend when it comes to investing, as well as reliable constant discount on offer.

But in this we are very different I know, I'll never DCA unless price is at a discount.

The vast majority of normies are quite advantaged by DCA when they pursue it.  The vast majority cannot beat DCA returns, especially in bitcoin.

Let's use uie-pooie as a specific example, and just to have somewhat round numbers, we will use 4 years as your investment timeline.  Of course, the longer the better, but I cannot recall if you had earlier dates that you could proclaim that you quasi-seriously started looking into bitcoin, so 4 years and 2017.. seem to be as good of a time as any.. just to provide us some  ballpark ideas regarding performance that you could have gotten with DCA-ing and not fucking around .. the whole time..

$100 per week would have cost you about $21k invested, you would have accumulated nearly 2.54 BTC, and so you would have had a return of nearly 5x. Sure that is not very exciting.  You likely need more time in the market, but hopefully you have at least 5x returns at this point..

Let's take my nearly 8-year timeline as an example, then (with a December 1, 2013 starting date).  $100 per week would have cost about $40k invested, and an accumulation of nearly 46 BTC, and my timeline should have nearly 51x returns.   Surely those kinds of returns are a wee bit more exciting, right?  Hard to beat those kinds of returns, no?

Likewise I prefer as much time as possible to accumulate, even if acutely aware when time is running out. The bull market bores me to be honest! I found it a lot more interesting when prices dropped 50% and there's actually some thought provoking analysis rather than the rocket ships and moon memes. But sure, I'm a bit weird like that, as for me it's not about the money: It's about learning and doing the best I can in life.

I don't know.  There seem to be quite a few guys who are still in their BTC accumulation stages, and we have newbies coming to this forum and this thread all the time.  I am not criticizing guys for being in such a stage of BTC accumulation because it can take a real long time to either get close to fuck you status or to get to a point in which BTC accumulation is NOT as much central to the formula of what is being done.

By the way, I had already kind of considered myself in a kind of fuck you stage when I started in bitcoin.. not like a high level but kind of in a comfortable position with my various fiat investments and the cashflow being generated from such.  So in late 2013 when I got into bitcoin, I had initially just pursued a kind of getting a stake exposure, while I attempted to study the bitcoin matter, but by late 2014, I had established that my target stake was going to be 10% of my total investment portfolio, and that I had largely reached that stake by late 2014.

Maybe you might still consider me to be a little bit goofy and torn because even though I felt that I had enough of a stake by late 2014, I still continued to accumulate through 2015.. and maybe I did not really start to truly consider myself to more largely evolved into a kind of maintenance state until early 2017.. but part of the problem is that none of the stages of accumulation, maintenance and then liquidation are 100% in isolation because there can be combination of tactics even if dominantly I felt that I had already established a "good enough" stake in late 2014... but I still fucked around.

How can I learn when price is just on a steady uptrend? Bores the fuck out of me to be honest. I don't trade against strength and I'm not trying to sell the top either. Once If new ATH is made this year, I'll likely be taking a break from TA again  Tongue

I understand that volatility is a friend of traders, but I though that volatility in both directions would be useful for traders.. but sure, whatever floats your boat in terms of if you believe (or have concluded) that you have DOWNity directional strengths.

Call me not a "true believer" or otherwise, but I just stick with the probabilities rather than the prophecies, as they appear more reliable to me.

Your confidence numbers seem to be way higher than mine... but maybe it also could be depending upon the question that might be presented..sometimes if we are talking time and how much movement, we are going to get very different confidence levels depending on how far we might be moving from our current position - whether referring to time or to quantity of movement.

For sure, I'm only 95% on new ATH this year (ish). Whether we make a new annual low this year is a different story, but wouldn't effect my analysis in a hurry either. If we don't make a new ATH this year, I'll be fucking panicking trust me. It would invalidate all of my long-term projects and opinion.

Gosh.. I don't even recall conjecturing in recent times about the odds that I believe that a new ATH will be reached this year.  My conjecture would have to be less than 50%.. because I hate to be presumening too much.. a new ATH from here ($47,350) would be like a 40% price increase... A new ATH this year does remain of the most likely of scenarios, maybe at something like 39% odds...  hahahahaha.. fuck I am a conservative twat, sometimes.

Just think about it.. I probably should not even say anything.. odds for downity and a new bottom 37% (but that does not mean that we do not recover.. so maybe getting stuck in downity would be less than 25%.. then maybe there are other scenarios that would add up to 36% that causes various forms of ups, downs and sideways in the BTC price and no new ATH to play out for this year.. and then the remaining odds of a new ATH happening in this year end up being something like 39%-ish..

Sure I am pulling these percentage approximations out of my ass but whatever, I hate to put too high of odds on getting automatically richie.. otherwise, then maybe that would justify my engaging in stupid behaviors that are not in line with reality odds of all the things that could happen that put a new ATH for this year to be amongst the most probable of scenarios, but still ONLY in the 39%-ish territory.. and then when I consider the matter in this way, I am more likely to be acting like a prudent investor rather than a gambling who assigns fantasy levels of certainty to the future that are not realistic and do not properly, prudently and adequately prepare lil selfie for both UPpity and Downity in both psychological and financial ways.

The idea that the 10 year bull market is over, and for sure a 20 year bear market could occur with high probability for me personally. But ultimately, I only put this down to a 5% chance. I'd go from uber bull to uber bear in a hurry basically.

In my humble bumble opinion, not getting a new ATH in this calendar year does not necessarily trigger that we are in a bear market, even if it may well take the bull market much longer than expected to play out.  There are powerful forces that could keep this bad boy down for way longer than many of the HODLers would prefer, and may well even cause a decent amount of shakening of more weak hands.  I am not very likely to change my strategy, even if it could take 18 more months to get to a new ATH.. sure an outlier scenario.. but I am pretty much o.k. and prepared financially and psychologically with "riding this pig wherever it takes me" (right billyjoelallen?)

I'm always able to change my perspective quickly if I'm wrong, otherwise I would only end up getting stuck in my incorrect outlook. That's the ultimate way to get rekt in any market, not being able to accept being wrong basically and changing perspectives based on this.

Sure .. good to be able to reassess.

Fortunately as I trade time rather than price these days, the probability of the 12th year of Bitcoin being different from the other 11 had a simplistic 8.3% chance to me (1/12).

Seems like an error to me to be considering the matter like that.  Bitcoin is not a mature asset, and there seem to be a considerably great need to account for exponential s-curve adoption and also consider how networking effects are playing out..which includes considering Lindy effects.. and also includes considering metcalfe principles, too.

Seems to me that if you even try to treat subsequent years in similar ways to earlier years, then you are lacking in some of your appreciating for some of the real world underlying dynamics of bitcoin including that bitcoin is no run of the mill asset class, either.  It involves the addition of a new asset class that is paradigm shifting (meaning that we never ever ever had such an asset class in the past), and bitcoin has inspired all kinds of imitators and snake oil salesmen and a lot of noise and misleading aspects around it, but the fact that bitcoin is NOT broken in spite of ongoing attacks against it (sure frequently subtle), creates a kind of unpredictable aspect in terms of the "gradually and then suddenly" component to it, as well... so in that sense, all years cannot be treated the same, even if you are trying to be objective about it, you are missing the point by trying to apply a mathematical model that is failing/refusing to account for on the ground realities.

I've emphasized what I said, to avoid any price-based confusion. For sure every year in Bitcoin is different and unique, I was intending to refer to the overall picture of a 4 year cycle, whether price goes to $100K or $1m by end of year is irrelevant to this theory, which also for now remains 100% in tact as far as I can tell. The recent 50% drop in price did nothing to change any of this in my opinion, it only changed some price-based predictions I imagine. You're completely right though that many other factors could play a big role in changing this 4 year cycle; but I still only give this a 8.3% chance - until proven otherwise. I go with statistical evidence I can verify, rather than speculative theories that remain (for me at least) as conspiracies for now. Whether that's a rational outlook or not doesn't concern me, as for now it's been working for me. It's how my brain works, I'm not going to re-train it to operate in a way that reduces it's functionality.

I am glad that you feel that you are functioning at a decently high level.

Within this 8.3% chance, I'd put higher weight of a type of super cycle that breaks this trend, as after the third halving it's becoming a bit repetitive already. It does seem much less likely that Bitcoin's fourth cycle will follow the same time-frame as the previous three, as it'd simply be too easy. That said, I feel the change would be more likely during a bear market than end of bull market if a top is coming in over winter, exactly when time traders such as myself will likely be cashing out, anticipating another 80% drop like clockwork followed by 3 year long accumulation period. In reality, ideally these 4-year cycles do come to an end with upside benefit, as otherwise the potential for a 20 year long bear market becomes incredibly likely for me. I'd for sure be extrapolating what happened to Gold onto a Bitcoin chart, but for now there is clearly no need! Breaking this cycle in a bear market could be somewhat catastrophic however (panic could really set in if we don't bottom when time anticipates), hence hoping it will be broken during the bull market.

I take supercycle theories with a pretty damned large grain of salt.. and sure there are various scenarios that such supercycle theories could happen, and until they do, we have our already currently existing and seemingly valid BTC price prediction models of 1) stock to flow, 2) 4-year fractal and 3) exponential s-curve adoption, and those are not broken, as far as I can tell. and supercycle is already kind of contained therein.. within the exponential s-curve adoption portion of the three-way combo... no need to get into specific sorcery status when the models already exist and I personally give few shits about specifics while riding this pig.

I'm well aware this sounds mad,

Yes... you be crazy.

but I'll shy away from fundamentals and stick with the math when they become no longer applicable basically. Knowing that Gold had a 10 year long bull market for 25x gains until 1980, followed by a 10 year long bear market and taking approximately 30 years up until 2010 to move higher than previous ATH of $875 (3x as long to recover being a spooky correlation too). This idea genuinely scares the living shit out of me, so I try not to think about it unless I need to, even if only theoretical.

Bitcoin is not gold.

For sure I make no comparisons for now, there is no data to suggest Bitcoin would go this way, but I give it a 2-4% chance none the less (without wanting to study the probability too much). To me, at the end of the day, large influential investors will trade risk/reward over fundamental and emotional sentiment any day of the year.

As long as the hands of the clock keep going around at the same pace and the same direction, I won't be changing my perception over wild speculation in a hurry.

I am glad that you are keeping these matters in mind but not allowing them to change too much in what you are doing.

Add in something else like stock to flow and the macro bullish uptrend of the Weekly/Monthly chart, I could easily drop this % in half to <5%. But I still had my objective reservations as a natural skeptic. I also almost took a short as a hedge given the descending triangle pattern, while hodling the rest of my stash, but in the end after further analysis I realised the times when these patterns don't break bearish is often during the 1-year up trends. So the idea of it having a 80-90% chance of breaking down with another 50% drop became completely invalidated for me. It did remind me of 2019 however, even if the pattern not so clean (also looked like a broadening wedge), so I considered it more of a bear trap - which it turned out to be.

Fair enough that hedging sometimes can be helpful...and also making comparisons can be helpful too, if you are able to make reasonable comparisons rather than finding a pattern that looks the same but might still fail to account for some broader underlying principles in terms of how that previous pattern might have gotten there in the first place.  

Sure, sometimes I may well talk a decently big game about patterns and underlying principles, but I hardly ever change my largely blind system of buying on the way down and selling on the way up, including allowing the BTC price to come to me, and also with the passage of time, both my spreads and my increments have gotten much BIGGER - even though this latest correction from $64,895 to $28,600 and the bouncing around within such correction had caused my increments to largely shrink back to their $1k intervals - but I kept my spreads the same (at around $6k) even though I had been  somewhat tempted to shrink those too.. because as you can likely appreciate a spread of $6k in the $30k territories ends up being 2x as BIG (in terms of percentage) as it is in the $60k territories, but I just allowed the whole spread matter to stay in place as a kind of convenient excuse that just allows my longer term goals to become more and more realized in terms of permitting (or causing) the spreads to get BIGGER and MOAR BIGGER with the passage of time, including BTC price increases and even accounting for percentages, too - even though many of us should be able to appreciate that even if we have perceptions of bitcoin having a lot of ongoing and inevitable volatility for many years to come, such volatility is still likely (and perceptibly) reducing with the passage of time, too..even though BIGGER players are coming into bitcoin and attempting to play with BIGGER numbers and hopefully getting reckt MOAR worser, too.  hopefully.

This is definitely a smooth strategy, not one I engage in personally, though I do trim based on time rather than price. I generally averaged my way in on time, so I've taken some tiny percentages out based on this too, which is usually more the partly satoshi profits from alts trading (that wouldn't have been made if I wasn't spending an abusive amount of time aggressively doing so etc). But otherwise I generally hodl the fuck out my coins and keep it simple now we are up-trending. Always knowing I'm "buying Bitcoin" at the "wrong time/price" from altcoin profits, but completely indifferent as prefer to completely avoid trading btc/usd in a bull market unless necessary, instead trade btc/alts and focus on stacking sats this way (each to their own though huh).

Fuck altcoins.. but whatever do what you do.

For now my analysis is more confirmation of hodl stack remaining in tact, rather than averaging further in with fiat. Though that said I do scrape around for more altcoin profits when the time is right, or I want some fancy food Wink

I surely get the lump sum investing thesis.

Let's say that you had $20k extra dollars, and when the BTC price was at $10k, you decided to use half of it to buy bitcoin at $10k and then somewhere along the line you noticed that the price was going up.. so you just decided to wait it out, and the price gets to $65k and then crashes back down to $30k.. so at some point in the $30k to $40k price arena, you might decide to put your other $10k in.. or maybe $5k or maybe in the past 10 months, you got another $10k of extra cash, so then you have $20k... so you just put $10k in or you put the whole $20k in .. Guys are going to come to differing conclusions about how to play it and I would likely divide such stash into the three categories of 1) DCA, 2) lump sum investing and 3) buying on dips... So, I am not even sure which method would play out better over time, but each of us pick a method that is comfortable for our own situation.

Overall I was more convinced that with the 50+% correction, price therefore had more of a chance to go higher than initial expectations of $100-150K, as it looked more similar to 2012 than 2018 for sure, or a completely different uber bullish longer term trend we have never seen before (something WIlly Woo recently touched upon, the "super cycle" possibility). That and looking at analysis from over a year ago, this really helped rationalize the situation for me. For sure price got over-extended too far too fast, but ultimately we remained on track regardless.

I understand that Willy Woo is not much of a fan of Stock to flow, but surely Willy does have a lot of great analysis, too.

Naturally any hedge wouldn't have been for $ gains, it would of simply been an attempt to increase BTC holdings, with ultimately still the projection of Bitcoin price making new ATH high this year anyway. So I never actually considered the bear market had come, this seemed high unlikely to me, but I didn't rule this out or the idea of another fake-out.

Sure, there were a lot of seemingly premature proclamations that we had entered into a bear market, and part of the rationale was having a greater than 30% price correction, and in early 2021, there was a shit-ton of bullshit assertions that greater than 30% price corrections were no longer possible or some nonsense like that, and we even got quite a bit of that baloney in this thread, and so as soon as BTC corrected more than 30% many folks started either predicting doom and gloom or accepting the various doom and gloom theories including quite a few smart peeps with decent analysis, too.

Damn right there was! I was around 90% confident we wouldn't drop >35%, I remember when we did and thinking "ah shit, oh well". I also remain 90% confident that we won't drop >50% again however Wink

If you are saying drop 50% again from $47,300?  At this particular time, I would give that about a 25% chance of happening in this calendar year, rather than a 10% chance.. but whatever...  we are not too far apart on that one.

How is this even possible to remain this confident? Probability. With about a dozen pull-backs only ever reaching 35% within a bull market, with the exception of 2012, this was simple quick mafs.

Sure, that is how you roll and how you play your cards, and if it works for you, then so be it.. I am not saying it is necessarily a worse way of going about things, even though sometimes I am not really clear what you mean or how it might apply to a normie, but no problema if it has worked for you and seems to be continuing to work for you.

Fortunately I wasn't aggressively going in with fiat around this price, as accumulate in bear markets and recoveries, never during the uptrend, but instead did take tonne of altcoin profits back to Bitcoin (thanks ETH!) that for sure would have been better staying around a $50K price level  Tongue

Do you believe that your method (level of lunacy) is easy to learn?  Asking for a friend?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

So you can imagine that if 30% was the threshold of entering into a bear market, then more than 50% correction put nails in the coffin to "unambiguously" confirm the three year or whatever bear market bullshit propaganda.. and of course, we may well know that there were a decent number of folks who wanted to perpetuate such nonsense in order to get some shakening of the coins from folks who otherwise were NOT too likely to be easily shaken from their coins... but surely a lot of folks did get shaken.. those gullible fucks.

People are weird, that's all I can say.

We are all weird, once you get to know us.

Just because there's a 90% chance it won't happen, they suddenly get confused when 1 in every 10 times it actually happens  Huh It's literally what you'd expect from statistical probability  Roll Eyes

Of course, there is some purposefull playing of these kinds of weak hands and lack of preparedness for either price direction.

We were over-extended by far, I saw this from $50K when trimming on a time-based scale.
That said, when we finally did reach a 50% drop I was relieved, prior to the price even bouncing back to be honest. It confirmed for me the possibility of much higher highs than previously anticipated or projected  Smiley

For sure, you were likely a minority.. because a lot of peeps said that they had not expected anything like that.

Of course, the way my system works, I was buying all the way down from about $55k to about $29k.. but still not comfortable, even though I had buy orders down to about $15k.. but the level of how far my buy orders went down, too based on some projects that I had entered into.. so still waiting to tell that story since I am still moving around value for the past 3 months.. blah blah blah.

By the way, I am not even asserting that we might not be in a bear market, even though to me the odds seem against it.  I am not even saying that the top of $64,895 might not be in, even though to me the odds seem against it.  We cannot really know for sure if we are in a bear market or a bull market until after the fact, and surely I cannot even see that the stock to flow or the 4 year fractal models have been broken, so you are not going to so easily cause me to concede that we are enterring into a bear market, even though there was some time that the odds were not looking good for staying in a bull market - especially when we were getting into the low $30ks and staying there a long time (including the temporary dips into the upper $20ks).. but yeah, it is not over until it is over.. even though I probably had less than 50% confidence that the $28,600 bottom would hold when we were in the sub $31ks, but when the BTC price got back into the  mid $30ks my confidence went back into the 51%-52% territories, and then when it went into the upper $30ks my confidence bounced around 55% and when BTC prices got over $46k, my confidence went from about 56.5% to about 62.5%, and currently my confidence is around 63.5%.. hahahahahaha.. which is pretty fucking high for me, so I might have to take a chill pill and bring down my expectations a wee bit more.

I'm totally with you on this, you won't find me easily conceding over the idea of being in bear market, not this year at least. Even if we drop down lower to around $20-25K in the near future, prior to around October: good luck with that.
The exception to the rule will be if the number of days in a year get's recalculated and no longer remains 365.25. Then I'll seriously have to re-evaulate everything. Kind of like if 0 and 1s changed their values. Holy shit, it's panic time!
Even when we were down at $30K, I remained 95% confident to be honest. I probably "felt" 80% confident, but reviewing the statistics confirmed that nothing had changed my outlook what so ever. It only reinforced it.
Just my wealth dropped in half temporarily, that was a bit annoying for the short-term Grin

It always seems to be better to be ahead of the game, if you can.. so if you have decent levels of confidence then the price just will end up coming to you, and sure it could take a while to play out and I doubt that there won't need to be some shaking in confidence, but sure, you might have orders that largely stay in place or you just make some minor tweaks here and there or alternatively, you have to wait for once scenario to play out before you set up your orders for the following scenario, but still the price is coming to you so you are less emotional about the whole matter.

Actually, it seems better for me to attempt to gravitate back towards 50/50 ideas in regards to short term BTC price directions - but again, surely my level of confidence is going to depend on the questions that are being asked in terms of if the $28,600 bottom is in or what are the chances that we break above $53k or what might be the other resistance points, because in some sense, if the BTC rice is allowed to get avove a certain threshold, such as $53k or something else, then it is going to be a whole hell of a lot more difficult for beartwats to actually keep the BTC price from making new ATHs.. and in that regard, you are probably of a similar mind as me in terms of the difficulties to stop the momentum once the BTC price gets above certain price points, but even then we might get into upper 60% territories in my mind, but you might start assigning way higher odds such as in the upper 90%s which I would consider to be gambling (or pie in the sky) rather than being realistic (with yourself).

Ah no, fear not. I'm nowhere near 90% on the immediate uptrend returning quite yet! I'd give it 66% at best that we don't make lower lows this year, while price is above the accumulation zone. I'm simply 95% of new ATH by end of year, not much else. I also agree above a vague $50-55K level being breached increases my %, previous support turned resistance as well as mid-level of log growth, and therefore I can't really be more than 70% confident of much until then.

You are starting to sound like me with some of those whimpy percentages that you are throwing out...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ultimately it can all lead to a macro lower high that's indicative of a downtrend (at least in the short-mid term), likely meaning price would re-test the 50 Week MA support line (long-term uptrend) that's fast moving upwards, currently $34K. That said, I just noticed most volume in past 6 months on Bitstamp/Coinbase is still around $56.5K, notably higher than the past 8+ months of volume at $38.5K. To me this indicates the bulls may need to build a bit more volume in this support zone in order to shift this VPVR point of control to recent support and away from resistance, in order to inspire a bit more confidence in being able to get back above $60K in the near term. But overall, twice as much volume between $30-40K than $50-60K is a great sign, now price is above.

I'm otherwise unable to trust the price right now until it actually moves above the 200 Day MA, knowing that we already failed to do this after a few days above it. I don't think we're likely to achieve it this second time round either, the declining volume concerns me a lot as makes the probability of anything much more difficult to determine (a whale/entity can simply step in to move price in either direction right now imo). Falling below $38.5K and back into the accumulation/distribution zone put's me back to 50-50 that we don't make new lows this year, below $35K I'd probably be 60-40 that price will make a new low. Returning to the accumulation zone after failing to move above it will be similar to the 2020 scenario, that of distribution not accumulation.

Fair enough.

Nice chatting with you again  Smiley

Edit:

I'll otherwise make it clear when I'm back to full-blown bull on all time-frames and therefore unlikely posting TA:

Credit: xhomerx10

Lovely hat.   Wink
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 04:01:25 AM

Explanation
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 3527

born once atheist

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 04:02:37 AM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1), nutildah (1)

Can someone please merit JayJuanGee I have no merits to give but that reply is fucking great. JayJuanGee cannot throw out knowledge like that without being rewarded for it.
  Fess up!  You two are blood relatives aren't you!

I'm not saying nuttin. (besides what I just said) (for now)

pLoT tWiSt...

homer, siraz, and jay are actually 3 different manifestations of an advanced AI bot released to the wild by
MIT nerds, designed to mess with the wob community, by making them wear hats, listen to terrible homemade SoundCloud tracks,
and subjecting them to walls of droning text about the uppity and downitys of bitcoin with lots of words that end with "enings"...
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 5052

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 04:03:58 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2021, 04:46:31 AM by Hueristic
Merited by El duderino_ (3), vapourminer (1), JimboToronto (1), Arriemoller (1)

... they also rely on electricity supply, about ~25% of the heat shifted is consumed in electricity for the best efficiency pumps.

... if it is mission critical to keep the heat flowing probably plan on back-up generation in case of main/grid electrical failure

I have woods an axe and a wood stove in the addition so I pretty much have all the bases covered with my generator in the shed that will power the house with a switch. I like to have overlapping systems, its served me well during grid failures. I also have a small windmill for the last 10 years that I've been to lazy to install. Smiley
I still haven't picked up any solar for some illogical reason.

Ohh yeah there was that one time I almost burned the place down with the generator. Gas can failures while filling a running generator can be a a bitch.
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 04:22:31 AM

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 04:39:02 AM
Merited by sirazimuth (1)

there's only so much bitcoin news
before its like "yeah, yeah, it goes up, it goes down, we hodel , yo jay, that's tldr, we getting rich, yada yada.... <yawn>"...lol

Whatevers.... we did be get MOAR richie, even if we might have been questioning if we be stuck when at $10k 11 months ago.. ..

And, then we also might have been really questioning if we be stuck below $4k (especially in late 2018 and early 2019).. but then May 2019.. kind of showed those of us who were paying attention that we not be stuck in DOWNity... did anyone here fail refuse to recognize that as a kind of confirmation of the bull market had happened around May 2019 when we crossed well above $6,500 and were on our way to $13,880 in the coming 6 weeks, even if we had not known it at the time..

Did we even consider that our lovely dovey lil bull market has been playing out (aka happening) for about 2.5 years.. so far (and as I type this post). and such bull market does not seem to be over yet... does it? does it?  Anyone?

Do we get another 4 months of UPpity or quasi-UPpity out of this bad boy.. or maybe there is another 10 to 12 months for the top of this particular cycle to be reached?  Whatcha think?  Whatcha gonna do?

You are going to be hard-pressed to have singenings that include me complaining about where we are at, where we have been, or where we seem to be going.

Just looks like Pokemon to me.

pLoT tWiSt...

I hate when that happens.  Throws me off, for sure.

making them wear hats,

No one can really object to wearing hats.  Now, watching cat videos would be another story.

listen to terrible homemade SoundCloud tracks,

Surely.. not a pleasant experience.

and subjecting them to walls of droning text about the uppity and downitys of bitcoin with lots of words that end with "enings"...

Something sounds familiar (and comfortable) about that.

I am thinkening about who would not want to read (and talk when fit-in-able) about lillie fiend?  Answer me that.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 05:01:27 AM

Explanation
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2021, 05:24:01 AM

GOOD GOD, DELETE!

$ wc -w ./temp-jjg.txt

Sorry, approaching 9 thousand words in one post? Life's too short. Back to /ignore. You often have interesting things to say. 
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 05:53:49 AM

GOOD GOD, DELETE!

$ wc -w ./temp-jjg.txt

Sorry, approaching 9 thousand words in one post? Life's too short. Back to /ignore. You often have interesting things to say.  

I deny that those are all my words in that post.  

Deny

Deny

Deny.

#that's all
sirazimuth
Legendary

born once atheist

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 05:54:32 AM

pLoT tWiSt...
I hate when that happens.  Throws me off, for sure.
Then you are easily confused, Jay.

making them wear hats,
No one can really object to wearing hats. ....
Yeah those MIT folks are smart, they knew that.

Now, watching cat videos would be another story.
Well, I like cat videos, so there is that.

listen to terrible homemade SoundCloud tracks,
Surely.. not a pleasant experience.
Damn it Jay, you didn't have to agree with me on this point.

Something sounds familiar (and comfortable) about that.
You don't say.

I am thinkening about who would not want to read (and talk when fit-in-able) about lillie fiend?  Answer me that.
I'd say after like your first 500 words of blah blah blah...most folks on this thread.....

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 05:59:54 AM

I am thinkening about who would not want to read (and talk when fit-in-able) about lillie fiend?  Answer me that.
I'd say after like your first 500 words of blah blah blah...most folks on this thread.....

I seem to be losing "fans" left and right.

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 06:01:33 AM

Explanation
sirazimuth
Legendary

born once atheist

View Profile
August 15, 2021, 06:06:08 AM

I am thinkening about who would not want to read (and talk when fit-in-able) about lillie fiend?  Answer me that.

I seem to be losing "fans" left and right.

Naaah.. we love ya Jay!  

#nohomo

Pages: « 1 ... 29139 29140 29141 29142 29143 29144 29145 29146 29147 29148 29149 29150 29151 29152 29153 29154 29155 29156 29157 29158 29159 29160 29161 29162 29163 29164 29165 29166 29167 29168 29169 29170 29171 29172 29173 29174 29175 29176 29177 29178 29179 29180 29181 29182 29183 29184 29185 29186 29187 29188 [29189] 29190 29191 29192 29193 29194 29195 29196 29197 29198 29199 29200 29201 29202 29203 29204 29205 29206 29207 29208 29209 29210 29211 29212 29213 29214 29215 29216 29217 29218 29219 29220 29221 29222 29223 29224 29225 29226 29227 29228 29229 29230 29231 29232 29233 29234 29235 29236 29237 29238 29239 ... 33489 »
  Print  

Jump to: