May 05, 2024, 08:47:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 6952 6953 6954 6955 6956 6957 6958 6959 6960 6961 6962 6963 6964 6965 6966 6967 6968 6969 6970 6971 6972 6973 6974 6975 6976 6977 6978 6979 6980 6981 6982 6983 6984 6985 6986 6987 6988 6989 6990 6991 6992 6993 6994 6995 6996 6997 6998 6999 7000 7001 [7002] 7003 7004 7005 7006 7007 7008 7009 7010 7011 7012 7013 7014 7015 7016 7017 7018 7019 7020 7021 7022 7023 7024 7025 7026 7027 7028 7029 7030 7031 7032 7033 7034 7035 7036 7037 7038 7039 7040 7041 7042 7043 7044 7045 7046 7047 7048 7049 7050 7051 7052 ... 33323 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372292 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:25:38 PM

I can smell a bubble from a mile away, its happening.

Yes the indicators of a bubble building are here. The US government auction could even be the trigger.

Can you explain how the auction could be the trigger. I think if it is, it could get media attention and the big company that buys it uses the coins to start an exchange.

is this your thought process or did you have something else in mind?

The auction will generate a fair amount of publicity and then there is the perception of tacit approval of Bitcoin by the US government. This can have a significant influence of deep pocketed investors sitting on the sidelines. In a rising market the trigger is what the losing not the winning bidders decide to do. This auction can easily produce a series of disappointed deep pocketed players who did not get their BTC. The question then becomes what will they do?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:32:29 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2014, 11:45:20 PM by bitcoinsrus

Yes the indicators of a bubble building are here. The US government auction could even be the trigger.

Can you explain how the auction could be the trigger. I think if it is, it could get media attention and the big company that buys it uses the coins to start an exchange.

The auction will generate a fair amount of publicity and then there is the perception of tacit approval of Bitcoin by the US government. This can have a significant influence of deep pocketed investors sitting on the sidelines. In a rising market the trigger is what the losing not the winning bidders decide to do. This auction can easily produce a series of disappointed deep pocketed players who did not get their BTC. The question then becomes what will they do?

Oh, alright. Thanks for your response. Hopefully the media coverage is in a positive light. More people should get involved because of it. Yea hopefully the losers do not feel like they missed out (enough not to get involved or something. It makes more sense now (and same for alley above, I was considering that above as well)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: also adam (below this comment), I never thought of it like that. Lets see what happens  Grin.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 11:35:35 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2014, 11:51:29 PM by adamstgBit

everyone sold coins or wired money to exchanges expecting the price to drop

price is : 605

we get close to the day of, lots of press, good press! poeple wire more monies...

price is : 705

the coins are sold and surprize surprize the price doesn't drop!

price is : 805

3 days later we are in full on bubble mode and there's 10million on the side lines wondering why theres no cheap coins to be had Huh

price is : 1600

next week, looks like will Argentina will default on their debts!

Paso's flood the BTC market, its unbelievable how many Pesos there are and no one wants them!

price is : 3200

the cheap coins lovers realize what's happening and panic buy.

price is : 5200

Obama says "bitcoin will save business more money and create new jobs"

the WORLD PANIC BUYS ALL THE BITCOINS!!!!!!!!!!!

price is : 52,000$

Millions of people are seriously pissed off at wall street for acting so slowly

the people want there bitcoins! NOW!

wall street acts swiftly to respond to the overwhelming demand

its not enough!
its not enough!
its not enough!

the poeple demand MORE MORE MORE!

Price is now : 520,000$

Cheesy
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:37:36 PM

Why is everything called a "bubble"? A bubble by definition is something that is unnatural, unjustified, and rare; not something something that occurs regularly. The only bubble that has ever occured in Bitcoin was when it went to $32 in 2011. The $15-$32 portion of that might be called a bubble, and wasn't seen again for 2 years.

I usually agree with TERA's posts, but not with this one. IMO a bubble is normal and very common, the mania phase of the bubble is somewhat unnatural, unjustified and rare.
Silver in 2010 - 2011 had a mania phase, of course not as manic as bitcoin.  Cheesy Had a wave A in 2011 - 2012, wave B in 2012, and now seems to be still in wave C (back to pre-bubble price).
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:42:03 PM

Why is everything called a "bubble"? A bubble by definition is something that is unnatural, unjustified, and rare; not something something that occurs regularly.
My understanding is that the "bubble" metaphor refers to the price "inflating" by an extraordinary amount, pushed by nothing but air, and then suddenly collapsing.  I've always seen it used (outside the trading community) in pejorative sense, and never noticed any implication about the price after the bubble being higher or lower than before.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:45:12 PM

Why is everything called a "bubble"? A bubble by definition is something that is unnatural, unjustified, and rare; not something something that occurs regularly. The only bubble that has ever occured in Bitcoin was when it went to $32 in 2011. The $15-$32 portion of that might be called a bubble, and wasn't seen again for 2 years.

We call it a bubble because it lacks bones, internal structure, to support the surface structure (the observed price).  If liquidity disappears when volatility arises, that is incremental evidence of a bubble, "frothiness".  

To some degree the notion of a bubble is inapplicable to pair trades, such as BTCUSD, in contrast to the way that it applies to a yielding security, since there is no question of future income streams being generated, or of the value mechanism  lacking the internal structure to generate an income stream implied by market valuation.  But it is fair to also characterize a bubble extensionally, as being demonstrated in historical retrospect by a trading price series having certain well-known characteristics.  The characteristics of a bubble or mania in equities or fixed-income products may be taken as paradigmatic of a larger bubble phenomenon, which is identified by pattern matching a time-series.  In the case of economic fundamentals, we can describe historical misallocations as bubbles similarly.

In my view, the exponential baseline of BTCUSD is a fundamentally derived signal, while the intermittent spikes and crashes are a superimposed sequence of manias and depressions.  The latter can be fairly described as bubbles, both because of their pattern, and because the prices represent an excess, a mania, which exceeds the fundamental factors which precipitate it, both to the upside, and to the downside.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:48:30 PM

Were balancing around 600 for days now. I feel safe to post this.

Lol excellent. Funny pictures and tongue in cheek TA are the only reasons I come to this thread. I like to see this stuff, the pages and pages of pyramids made by mmitech and jayonejee gets pretty boring Sad

I'll say WTVR, to the extent that there is a ref to me....  Cheesy   Grin  Shocked  Tongue
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:51:03 PM

I coined "growth spurt" quite a while ago. I appreciate it if people start using that.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 11:53:36 PM

I coined "growth spurt" quite a while ago. I appreciate it if people start using that.

Bubble just sounds cooler.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:56:20 PM

I feel like Cartman in that episode where he freezes himself in order to not have to wait for a new games console to come out.

Freeze me! And thaw me when we're at 2k+! Watching this farting about at 600 is boooooooring.

I'd rather go back 4-5 years in time...  Although some cryo wouldn't be bad either Grin

Both ideas are MAJOR fantasies.

Let's SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:00:55 AM

Explanation
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:01:32 AM

Bubble just sounds cooler.

Bubble sounds like it is a scam. When people that actually like Bitcoin use a term which indicated a ponzi scheme can you blame people for not understanding?
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:04:07 AM

Got my Coinbase coins.  Arbitraging Bitfinex for $20/BTC worked.  Funny how that BFX premium (over Bitstamp) didn't last long.  It's pretty much at zero now.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

The SR coins will sell above market causing all sellers to raise there asks.  Prices will climb fast.  Just my theory anyway.
i disagree with this.  i suspect coins will be sold either at or slightly below current market price (whatever that is at the time)
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 12:38:44 AM

we get close to the day of, lots of press, good press! poeple wire more monies...

3 days later we are in full on bubble mode and there's 10million on the side lines wondering why theres no cheap coins to be had Huh

Paso's flood the BTC market, its unbelievable how many Pesos there are and no one wants them!

its not enough!
its not enough!
its not enough!

Cheesy

Multi Billionaire who's only son died from Silk Road overdose buy all the bitcoins and dumps them all on the exchange in an effort to destroy bitcoin once and for all Bitcoin price is $2.49 and massive suicides take place globally. Sad

PS I'm kidding.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:53:06 AM

its not enough!
its not enough!
its not enough!

Cheesy

Multi Billionaire who's only son died from Silk Road overdose buy all the bitcoins and dumps them all on the exchange in an effort to destroy bitcoin once and for all Bitcoin price is $2.49 and massive suicides take place globally. Sad

PS I'm kidding.

I would like to watch that in a theater.

"Silk road merchant"
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 12:54:26 AM

its not enough!
its not enough!
its not enough!

Cheesy

PS I'm kidding.

I would like to watch that in a theater.

the worlds a stage.
you're living it!
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:00:54 AM

Explanation
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:18:30 AM

How soon until $640 I wonder?  maybe not very long.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:18:59 AM

I agree its hard to call something a bubble that settles 5 to 10 times higher than it started making it the years best investment.  So I spent the first year saying "bubble" in quotes or using terms like run-up but now I've just given up.  We are redefining the term bubble I guess.  Its a new phenomenon -- social networks have allows financial communication within large sub-cultures to happen faster then an exponential adoption curve, yielding super-exponential "bubbles" on top of a baseline exponential.  Someday some loser will write a book about it and get the Nobel prize in Economics...before Satoshi  Undecided.
Pages: « 1 ... 6952 6953 6954 6955 6956 6957 6958 6959 6960 6961 6962 6963 6964 6965 6966 6967 6968 6969 6970 6971 6972 6973 6974 6975 6976 6977 6978 6979 6980 6981 6982 6983 6984 6985 6986 6987 6988 6989 6990 6991 6992 6993 6994 6995 6996 6997 6998 6999 7000 7001 [7002] 7003 7004 7005 7006 7007 7008 7009 7010 7011 7012 7013 7014 7015 7016 7017 7018 7019 7020 7021 7022 7023 7024 7025 7026 7027 7028 7029 7030 7031 7032 7033 7034 7035 7036 7037 7038 7039 7040 7041 7042 7043 7044 7045 7046 7047 7048 7049 7050 7051 7052 ... 33323 »
  Print  

Jump to: