May 03, 2024, 07:09:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 8069 8070 8071 8072 8073 8074 8075 8076 8077 8078 8079 8080 8081 8082 8083 8084 8085 8086 8087 8088 8089 8090 8091 8092 8093 8094 8095 8096 8097 8098 8099 8100 8101 8102 8103 8104 8105 8106 8107 8108 8109 8110 8111 8112 8113 8114 8115 8116 8117 8118 [8119] 8120 8121 8122 8123 8124 8125 8126 8127 8128 8129 8130 8131 8132 8133 8134 8135 8136 8137 8138 8139 8140 8141 8142 8143 8144 8145 8146 8147 8148 8149 8150 8151 8152 8153 8154 8155 8156 8157 8158 8159 8160 8161 8162 8163 8164 8165 8166 8167 8168 8169 ... 33317 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371257 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:52:02 AM

Please, tell me an example where someone lost bitcoins from a properly secured wallet...
First you give me an example of hackers stealing credit card information from a properly secured server.

Seriously do you think Bitcoin is less secure than fiat?
Yes I do.  How do you propose to measure that?
I propose you to encrypt the fiat from your wallet: try to give a password to your $100 fiat paper, then you can try to do a brain wallet from them...
Stupid for stupid: I propose that you write a malware that can steal a 10$ bill from my pocket.

(And note the word MEASURE.)

Just for curiosity, if some day you use bitcoin to buy a car, how will you make sure that the address that you are sending the bitcoins to is indeed the car dealer's?  What will you do if the car dealer tells you that they did not receive any bitcoins, and that their payment address is not the one you used?

Do you know you can try that 'suspicious' address from your car dealer, by sending first a few shatoshis right? Just saying...

Sure.  You scan the QR code on the screen or catalog and send 1 satoshi there.

Then you check the blockchain and see that the satoshi was indeed sent to the address displayed on the screen.

You call the dealer, and Bill from Sales confirms that the satoshi was indeed deposited in their payment address.

You then send the other 999.99999999 BTC to the same address.  So you think.

You check the blockchain and find that the second transaction went to a DIFFERENT address!

You call the store, and Bill says that the second address is not theirs.   

Then what?

OR, TO KEEP THINGS SMPLE:

One day you find that all your bitcoins were stolen from all your paper wallets.

Then what?

(How could that happen? Hint: how did you create the paper wallets?)

One day you find that all your coins were stolen from all your wallets.

Then what?

I really can't image this kind of shit would come from a computer science professor. This is just a generic computer security problem, and is not specific to Bitcoin. If your computer is infected by malware, you will certainly lose money in many different ways. Your personal information will be used to borrow money. Your credit card number will be used to subscribe pron sites. Your files will be encrypted and you have to pay ransom. Your naked photos will be spread on Facebook.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:53:37 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2014, 05:12:02 AM by Walsoraj

Bitcoin isn't a purely speculative investment. The fundamentals include http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#Informal_fallacies

When the fundamentals show signs of strengthening after a capitulation period, it's time to go all in as the greater fools are soon to arrive.

Well, it seems to be a consensus that the utilitarian demand (people buying BTC to pay for things) is still much less than the demands for day-trading and investment.  Like gold, but without the millennia of brainwashing of "gold is precious".

What signs of strengthening do you see?

I am half-joking. But my other posts are dead serious.   Cool Cool Cool
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:56:03 AM

If you go to a bank and take out money to buy a car, then when you buy the car you find out the money is counterfeit? What do you do?
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:58:42 AM

If you go to a bank and take out money to buy a car, then when you buy the car you find out the money is counterfeit? What do you do?

This does happen. People draw money from ATM and find out the money is counterfeit. The bank would never admit their fault and it's hardly possible for the customer to prove it.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:59:13 AM

Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10202

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:12:45 AM

I watched the video yesterday.  Yes, it is a very nice presentation.  

It's good that he avoids the exaggerated sales hype of most bitcoin enthusiasts.  However it seems he has been listening from one ear only, as he barely mentions some of the problems, or omits them altogether.  Like the impossibility of correcting mistakes or thefts.  

But, well, you can't expect an old man to properly understand such a new thing, can you?  Wink

At one point he says that bitcoin is great because it has no rich bankers buying out government.  Is he aware of KnC buying their way into the Bitcoin Foundation, and "electing" their investor/friend Brock Pierce to the board of directors?

He is an old man but it is not right to say that he does not properly understand bitcoin. This guy gave a 1 hour plus lecture on bitcoin. Try doing that if one does not know about the subject.

If you think that you can offer a more balance view and you know more than him, try doing a video or at least write a paper to present your case? It would be more helpful than giving comments which are often IMHO distractions from the main subject.

Whether Jorge is a professor or NOT, he has already demonstrated in his nearly 4,000 posts here that he is more than capable of stringing along a series of irrelevant points and building upon them to the extent to which they begin to seem almost relevant.  In other words, I would NOT mix up quantity with quality, and Jorge surely seems to be capable of producing quantity.. He could probably carry out a 24 hour marathon series of presentation of irrelevance, just to prove the point that he is NOT at a loss of words and that he is UP to the challenge to show his presentation prowess (problem will be to recognize whether there is anything meaningful related to BTC contained therein).

I did some research and seems Jorge Stolfi is a University level professor and researcher in computer science.

He een has a wikipedia page for him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Stolfi

Considering his account is not a fake one, would be interesting see his technical opinions about the bitcoin protocol, but he keeps acting like an academic version of the fallllling guy. Sad

The reason that I referred to Jorge's "professor" status in a snarky way is because it does (and should) NOT matter whether one is a professor or a snotty nosed 5 year old in order to post decent ideas in this forum.  So it is an irrelevant distraction at best or an inappropriate attempt to appeal to authority in distracting people into giving him more credibility than he deserves.  In essence, it should NOT matter, too much, whether he is who he claims to be.

In other words, the ideas of his posts should stand on their own, without any need to appeal to authority, and surely some people build their credibility in these kinds of forums through their various past posts.

Don't get me wrong b/c I believe that every once in a while Jorge brings up good points and has fair and reasoned input... and other times Jorge, like any troll, can add some interesting entertainment value to the thread; however, his frequent misrepresentations (and sometimes appearing to be purposeful) actually undermines, in my thinking, the value of his other once in a while decent posts.  In this regard, sometimes we, as posters, become so Jorge distracted that we either fail or neglect to adequately address or even to recognize other areas in which we could be more meaningfully focusing our energies towards bitcoin evangelism, marketing and/or other improvements.

By the way, Evangelism means to spread the good word about bitcoin - which is NOT necessarily based on religious or cultist adherence, even though the word, evangelism, is frequently associated in such religious contexts.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:15:09 AM

It's a ponzi.
It's a pyramid.
There is no intrinsic value.
I should not go to bed now
 Cheesy

we cannot go to bed

the next 8 hours are critical

Wink

I feel compelled to finish this sentence...... "the next 8 hours are critical"...... to bitcoin's rest of life...  Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:30:25 AM

Bitcoin's attraction to informal fallacies reminds me of numerous pseudosciences. Some of the most insightful articles I've read about Bitcoin highlight the community's cultish attitude.

I may know what articles you are alluding to.  Or maybe I don't. Cheesy

Jorge, you are looking at this in the wrong light. Cults and pseudosciences can persist through almost any obstacle. In fact, obstacles typically embolden the followers.

Thus, Bitcoin may survive and thrive for quite a while longer. For all the wrong reasons of course.

Good insight... I believe that there is a chance that the blockchain will be maintained for the next hundred years, if only as a fun challenge.

But, that doesn't mean it isn't a good investment.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It obviously has been, until now.  Will it continue to be? 

I wouldn't say that it is a good investment, but it is certainly a great gambling game.

I believe that the price will drop to zero eventually, but won't dare to guess what it will be one hour from now.   I think I understand a bit about the market now, but not not enough to predict the price.

For instance, I bet that the Esteemed Colleague who predicted "10$ by mid 2014" was not quite aware of the situation in China.  In my view, the Chinese traders may continue their gambling for many months still, and the price may wander between 300$ (or less) to 1200$ (or more), depending mainly on their mood.

Some of the above comments are seeming somewhat bullish, especially coming from a bearish troll like you (even though you have been claiming neutrality).

For example, suggesting some day it will be zero and that the block chain will likely last for 100 years....   It is doubtful that anyone here is investing in BTC beyond 5 years, anyhow... surely we account for the long term prosperity and we account that we may need to reassess our BTC investment in a few years, but when push comes to shove, only a few people would just set any such volatile investment for more than 5 years without reassessing it from time to time.

After so many months of looking at bitcoin and making various analyses, you are likely converting bullish, but you do NOT want to admit it.  You likely understand and realize that as time passes, and the fundamentals do NOT really get undermined in any meaningful way, the odds become greater and greater and greater that the price is going to skyrocket upward rather than to crash downward.. and even you seem to be implying the possibility of 3x returns... which is fairly decent for any investment. 

Of course, the passage of time will tell the direction of BTC prices and whether Jorge ever buys a bitcoin.   Cheesy

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:32:57 AM

I'm betting on an altcoin eventually supplanting Bitcoin, possibly as soon as the next bubble phase. Ripple is a strong candidate.

Good luck to you and Mah87 as the pillar ripple holders - but remember prisoners' dilemna.    Cheesy
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:36:06 AM

the strange attractor at 1200 begins to work it's magic ...
Davyd05

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:38:19 AM

China lead us to new found glory..I always trusted in you Cheesy lol
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:59:14 AM

Explanation
mooncake

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:00:22 AM

Bitcoin's attraction to informal fallacies reminds me of numerous pseudosciences. Some of the most insightful articles I've read about Bitcoin highlight the community's cultish attitude.

Jorge, you are looking at this in the wrong light. Cults and pseudosciences can persist through almost any obstacle. In fact, obstacles typically embolden the followers.

Thus, Bitcoin may survive and thrive for quite a while longer. For all the wrong reasons of course.

Good insight... I believe that there is a chance that the blockchain will be maintained for the next hundred years, if only as a fun challenge.

I wouldn't say that it is a good investment, but it is certainly a great gambling game.

I believe that the price will drop to zero eventually, but won't dare to guess what it will be one hour from now.   I think I understand a bit about the market now, but not not enough to predict the price.

For instance, I bet that the Esteemed Colleague who predicted "10$ by mid 2014" was not quite aware of the situation in China.  In my view, the Chinese traders may continue their gambling for many months still, and the price may wander between 300$ (or less) to 1200$ (or more), depending mainly on their mood.

Some of the above comments are seeming somewhat bullish, especially coming from a bearish troll like you (even though you have been claiming neutrality).

For example, suggesting some day it will be zero and that the block chain will likely last for 100 years....   It is doubtful that anyone here is investing in BTC beyond 5 years, anyhow... surely we account for the long term prosperity and we account that we may need to reassess our BTC investment in a few years, but when push comes to shove, only a few people would just set any such volatile investment for more than 5 years without reassessing it from time to time.

After so many months of looking at bitcoin and making various analyses, you are likely converting bullish, but you do NOT want to admit it.  You likely understand and realize that as time passes, and the fundamentals do NOT really get undermined in any meaningful way, the odds become greater and greater and greater that the price is going to skyrocket upward rather than to crash downward.. and even you seem to be implying the possibility of 3x returns... which is fairly decent for any investment. 

Of course, the passage of time will tell the direction of BTC prices and whether Jorge ever buys a bitcoin.   Cheesy

You are quite a match for Jorge.  Grin
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:10:23 AM

You are quite a match for Jorge.  Grin

Jorge and me, we are internet frienemies...    Wink   Cry
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:46:05 AM

guys, I am curious about something, I've noticed a huge amount of gambling games (dice games and wheel spining games) the huge amount of these sites suggest that Bitcoiners loves gambling !!?? any of you gamble here ?

I have three rules:
Among friends (no house)
Low stakes
Reasonable odds.

The first may be bent from time to time and the second two play off each other somewhat. I know some people apparently can make money from gambling (not dice and wheel games) but I have an idea of the kind of skill and dedication that would take and I'm not willing (or possibly even able) to do so.

these are the skills needed to be a successful professional poker player (in descending order of importance):

1. bankroll/money management (believe it or not, this one is the most important of all)
2. patience and discipline
3. emotional detachment from results - i.e. caring about whether you made a good play, not about what the particular result this time was
4. knowledge of probabilities (i.e. flopping a set, a flush draw arriving etc.) and hand ranges and how to exploit your opponents mistakes through this knowledge.
5. knowledge of human psychology and perception of so called "table dynamics"

I maintain that most people have no problem with point 4 and 5, but what would prevent them from becoming a successful poker pro are points 1 - 3.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:59:15 AM

Explanation
kehtolo

Activity: 707

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:19:27 AM

Bullish pennant there?

(i dunno, i just thought i'd add some wall observing)
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:57:44 AM

Bullish pennant there?

(i dunno, i just thought i'd add some wall observing)
I don't see a wall
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:59:14 AM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:59:14 AM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 8069 8070 8071 8072 8073 8074 8075 8076 8077 8078 8079 8080 8081 8082 8083 8084 8085 8086 8087 8088 8089 8090 8091 8092 8093 8094 8095 8096 8097 8098 8099 8100 8101 8102 8103 8104 8105 8106 8107 8108 8109 8110 8111 8112 8113 8114 8115 8116 8117 8118 [8119] 8120 8121 8122 8123 8124 8125 8126 8127 8128 8129 8130 8131 8132 8133 8134 8135 8136 8137 8138 8139 8140 8141 8142 8143 8144 8145 8146 8147 8148 8149 8150 8151 8152 8153 8154 8155 8156 8157 8158 8159 8160 8161 8162 8163 8164 8165 8166 8167 8168 8169 ... 33317 »
  Print  

Jump to: