Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:11:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool!  (Read 123665 times)
kislam

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 11:44:33 AM

Well, everyone seems pretty eager to know about Merged Mining at ARS. So what I'd like to know from BT is confirmation of any of the following (I think everyone wants to know):

* Merged Mining is just around the corner, we are working out the final kinks, or
  * Merged Mining is being worked on and will be implemented soon, or
  * Merged Mining is being considered, but will take some time, so don't hold your breath, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned at the moment, but might be implemented in the future, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned and will not be implemented in the foreseeable future

BT should note that the amount of interest regarding merged mining at ARS is an excellent sign meaning that a lot of people want to join ARS but are currently on the fence due to the added benefit of merged mining at other pools. So please, let us know as soon as you can...

1PMHA7hyqqbcCbjMfwvKT4xEZ81EYasJze

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:35:30 PM

I for one welcome merged mining as it will continue the decline in bitcoin difficulty and make things easier for those of us sticking purely to BTC Wink
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

Well, everyone seems pretty eager to know about Merged Mining at ARS. So what I'd like to know from BT is confirmation of any of the following (I think everyone wants to know):

* Merged Mining is just around the corner, we are working out the final kinks, or
  * Merged Mining is being worked on and will be implemented soon, or
  * Merged Mining is being considered, but will take some time, so don't hold your breath, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned at the moment, but might be implemented in the future, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned and will not be implemented in the foreseeable future

BT should note that the amount of interest regarding merged mining at ARS is an excellent sign meaning that a lot of people want to join ARS but are currently on the fence due to the added benefit of merged mining at other pools. So please, let us know as soon as you can...

This is what needs to happen IMHO.
kislam

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:34:55 PM

I'm not overly concerned about merged mining - I'd prefer that development efforts be concentrated on hardening the pool against the increasingly fashionable phenomenon of DDoS attacks.

completely agree -- if BT is concentrating his efforts on making the pool more robust, then that's highly commendable. by all means put merged mining on hold until you accomplish those (more important) goals. it's not like i have to mine here, it's just that i'd like to Smiley

i only wanted to know what's going on.

BT hasn't posted in this forum since 28th, it appears. so looks like we just have to wait...

1PMHA7hyqqbcCbjMfwvKT4xEZ81EYasJze
likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:27:30 PM

Firstly, I found out that there were two servers available from the Pool Stats. However, the IP addresses and/or DNS names of said servers aren't immediately obvious anywhere. The simple setup (arsbitcoin.com) may be some fancy dynamic DNS thing to avoid attacks, but my version of phoenix and/or Linux (1.50 / 11.04) doesn't seem to move the IP around (is it?). If it isn't, then it presumably points to Server 1.

This was painfully obvious when server 1 went down for whatever reason (DDoS, maintenance, whatever) and all the big dogs at the top of the leaderboard disappeared, apart from jimbit who knew about server 2 and was using cgminer to failover to the second server. So where's the documentation on where the different server IPs are? When Slush had the attacks, his front page had 'new address api2.mining.cz' or whatever he used then.

I ended up resorting to IRC (eh, took me back to me hacking days when I were a lad, good old times Cheesy ) where luckily jimbit was around and pointed out that there were apparently server1.arsbitcoin.com and server2.arsbitcoin.com. Apologies if this is 'secret' for 'security through obscurity' but I'm a firm believer that security through obscurity is a half-arsed waste of time. Especially against the types who are doing DDoS attacks on bitcoin pools.

There had been an announcement under pool stats for a very long time about server2

BurningToad (OP)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 03:31:22 PM

Hello,

Sorry guys, the reality right now is:

1) I haven't done anything to improve the pool in at least a month.
2) All I've done is try and keep it up.  I usually get a text message when it messes up, but not always.  Each server (main and 2) seems to randomly fail occasionally (both PoolServerJ and pushpool.)  I haven't had time to try and figure out the root cause.  Basically PSJ/pushpool degrade after a while and need a restart.
3) I haven't done the numbers, but I'm probably losing money each day at the moment on this because EC2 is expensive and the BTC price is low.  The bill this last month was ~$400+ with the two servers + bandwidth costs.
4) I'm closer to bringing the pool down than I am to implementing merged mining or anything else.
5) I'm having some personal problems and issues just trying to do work for my real job, so the priority for this right now is very low.  In fact the pool is probably mostly still up (instead of being taken down) because it is more effort to take it down cleanly (provide notice, email everyone, resolve coin balances, etc.) than it is to keep it in its current state.

So, I apologize, but that is how things stand at the moment.  I can't guarantee anything for the future, i.e. whether I will take the pool down, or finally work on improving it, etc.

likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 03:44:09 PM

Hello,

Sorry guys, the reality right now is:

1) I haven't done anything to improve the pool in at least a month.
2) All I've done is try and keep it up.  I usually get a text message when it messes up, but not always.  Each server (main and 2) seems to randomly fail occasionally (both PoolServerJ and pushpool.)  I haven't had time to try and figure out the root cause.  Basically PSJ/pushpool degrade after a while and need a restart.
3) I haven't done the numbers, but I'm probably losing money each day at the moment on this because EC2 is expensive and the BTC price is low.  The bill this last month was ~$400+ with the two servers + bandwidth costs.
4) I'm closer to bringing the pool down than I am to implementing merged mining or anything else.
5) I'm having some personal problems and issues just trying to do work for my real job, so the priority for this right now is very low.  In fact the pool is probably mostly still up (instead of being taken down) because it is more effort to take it down cleanly (provide notice, email everyone, resolve coin balances, etc.) than it is to keep it in its current state.

So, I apologize, but that is how things stand at the moment.  I can't guarantee anything for the future, i.e. whether I will take the pool down, or finally work on improving it, etc.

Hey BT,
I'm sorry to hear of you personal problems and the stress of maintaining this wonderful service. Before you decide to do anything drastic with arsbitcoin, please get in touch with me! As many would probably agree, this pool is to good to disappear. Hope things get better for you BT.

-LikuidXd

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 03:46:41 PM

I was going to say something like what likuidxd said.  I personally don't have any experience running a pool (although I'm interested in learning), but perhaps someone can take over the responsibilities instead of closing it?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 07:48:30 PM

I have to agree.  The pool is too good to just die.  We need good medium sized pools. 

I am sure someone would be willing to step up and take over the pool. 
Maybe they could even buy BurningToad out (a lot cheaper than trying to start a pool from scratch).
rcsheets

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 08:42:47 AM

Could you elaborate on your infrastructure needs? I may be able to provide you with some low-to-no-cost space, bandwidth, etc. if I could better understand the resource requirements.
runlinux

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 01:43:36 PM

If things to take a turn for the worst, just let us know.

Internet151

Activity: 174

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 03:40:08 AM

Looks like I need to start looking for a new home for my 32 GH/s... =(
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 08:14:32 AM

Looks like I need to start looking for a new home for my 32 GH/s... =(

0 fee PPS....   good luck with that - none will survive

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:42:03 AM

Man, Best pool theres ever been, Noticed stales rising over last few weeks. PLEASE PLEASE dont let this pool die, There are people here willing to help and learn and im sure a few people would pitch in to help/spread work load. Good community here as well.

Maybe post a 'volenteer' sections, Im sure many people would be willing put a bit of there time and knowledge in. Doing it all alone is a big ask now the pool as grown to a 1TH beast Smiley
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:27:24 PM

Haven't been able to access the site for a couple days. Anyone know whats up?
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:29:02 PM

Haven't been able to access the site for a couple days. Anyone know whats up?

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/arsbitcoin.com
Brian DeLoach
VIP

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 02:27:19 AM

I'm completely blocked from accessing it on my end. Weird.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 02:31:39 AM

See if you can reach it through a proxy.  I can reach it fine.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Brian DeLoach
VIP

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 05:37:05 AM

Using a proxy does work. I've tried a couple different computers on my network and they can't load it directly. Not sure how else to diagnose the problem, I've never had this happen before.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 05:41:16 AM

Using a proxy does work. I've tried a couple different computers on my network and they can't load it directly. Not sure how else to diagnose the problem, I've never had this happen before.

Could you have been banned as part of a botnet or something? That's the only explanation I can think of where you would be singled out specifically.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: