Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool!  (Read 123663 times)
bitblazing

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:33:48 PM

As one on the first 7  or eight to join I do not like this change. I liked the randomness and the massive payouts. I do not like the new system at all.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:59:03 PM

I can understand folks maybe not liking the switch, but don't say that BT just 'sprung' this on anyone.  He brought up the idea over a week ago and asked for comments.  If you had a problem back then, you should have spoke up, and if you're new, you should read at least a few pages of the posts before you hop into a pool.

That being said, this will level the playing field and give more standardized payouts, but it's not better or worse than any other way to mine for your wallet, you'll get paid the same.  Over the long haul, you are going to make XX amount of bitcoins (assuming the same hashrate/difficulty) no matter how you mine, minus any fees you pay of course.  It's probability, you may not like it, but you can't escape it. Smiley  

While it was great to get 9 payouts over the last 4 days, there were times we went way above the average number before you had a payout.  Eventually things would level out.  So maybe some of the 'excitement' of the pool is gone and it's now more of a steady payout, but it's really just a matter of preference.  If the system doesn't work out, I'm sure BT will switch back, but I still think it's better to see a regular, steady payout than see 9 in 4 days and then maybe go 6 days without one.

There's ton's of pools out there doing proportional shares (Bitclockers is awesome and is my backup pool) if you really don't want to do PPS and like the smaller pool/excitement thing.

Whatever you do though, don't go to deepbit.  They charge way too much and are too big already Smiley
BurningToad (OP)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:07:50 PM

For anyone who wants MORE proportional/SMPPS discussion to help them decide what they prefer, there is more fun here! http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=24966.msg333619#msg333619

bitblazing

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:08:43 AM

I can understand folks maybe not liking the switch, but don't say that BT just 'sprung' this on anyone.  He brought up the idea over a week ago and asked for comments.  If you had a problem back then, you should have spoke up, and if you're new, you should read at least a few pages of the posts before you hop into a pool.

That being said, this will level the playing field and give more standardized payouts, but it's not better or worse than any other way to mine for your wallet, you'll get paid the same.  Over the long haul, you are going to make XX amount of bitcoins (assuming the same hashrate/difficulty) no matter how you mine, minus any fees you pay of course.  It's probability, you may not like it, but you can't escape it. Smiley  

While it was great to get 9 payouts over the last 4 days, there were times we went way above the average number before you had a payout.  Eventually things would level out.  So maybe some of the 'excitement' of the pool is gone and it's now more of a steady payout, but it's really just a matter of preference.  If the system doesn't work out, I'm sure BT will switch back, but I still think it's better to see a regular, steady payout than see 9 in 4 days and then maybe go 6 days without one.

There's ton's of pools out there doing proportional shares (Bitclockers is awesome and is my backup pool) if you really don't want to do PPS and like the smaller pool/excitement thing.

Whatever you do though, don't go to deepbit.  They charge way too much and are too big already Smiley

No one said any of this. Some of us have jobs and dont read everythread posted. Like I said I love BT and all he has done but I dont like this and I most likely will leave because of it. I like the small pool feel and this no longer has it.
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:26:23 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 01:39:09 AM by Meatball

No one said any of this. Some of us have jobs and dont read everythread posted. Like I said I love BT and all he has done but I dont like this and I most likely will leave because of it. I like the small pool feel and this no longer has it.

I'm not saying you did, just that someone did.

I was considering joining your pool. . .
I'm glad you showed a willingness to do a rapid change of the pool's ToS that significantly materially affects the mining agreement with little or no notice to your customers.
That alone is a deal-breaker for me.
The fact that the change was from 0% proportional to a system that credits users a fraction of that on short rounds (see my thread on reward comparison) is in itself a deal breaker even if you had given a bare minimum of 48 hrs or so notice by email or some other form like the header of your thread.
Finally, the fact your site doesn't have ssl as all the more popular ones is another.
It is unlikely these differences will ever be reconciled.

Best of luck though, I hope you make some money off the miners using this pps, and I hope they get what they deserve.

I admit I'll miss the excitement of logging on in the morning and finding 2 or 3 found blocks, but after watching my backup pool Bitclockers hit a 3 million share block and then a 6 million share block and then another 3 million share block back to back last round, I'd rather be a bit bored with a steady payout than deal with variance like that.
Zoomer

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:46:11 AM

This is great for people who want to just set it and forget it. In the old system, blocks that last for millions of rounds are really bad; I might personally shut down the miner as the probable rewards probably aren't worth it. For making money, boring is good.
I would suggest buying the lottery if you want some excitement. Keep in mind that the expected return is <1, which is the same case as PPS the way it was implemented (due to hoppers).
monsterblitz

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:18:16 AM

ArsBitcoin current stats:

Current Hashrate: 94.3 GH/s
Current Workers:  324

Seems like more have joined with the new payout.

twmz

Activity: 737

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:30:15 AM

Stick to your guns.  SMPPS was a good choice.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
loglow

Activity: 57

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:40:22 AM

I support the change in payout scheme and have resumed mining at this pool.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:57:29 AM

This is great for people who want to just set it and forget it. In the old system, blocks that last for millions of rounds are really bad; I might personally shut down the miner as the probable rewards probably aren't worth it. For making money, boring is good.
I would suggest buying the lottery if you want some excitement. Keep in mind that the expected return is <1, which is the same case as PPS the way it was implemented (due to hoppers).

Exactly. It's kind of like the difference between a dividend-paying stock and the next high-flying tech darling - not sexy, but very reliable. Consistency and stability will be much more important as the Bitcoin environment develops anyway.

SMPPS +1
happyraul

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:26:15 PM

I like the new payment scheme. Consistent payouts and the like are fine, but the main draw for me is the protection against pool hoppers.
theowalpott

Activity: 80

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:10:45 PM

One question about the new system.

Suppose the pot is in the negative (ie, ppl are owed coins, but we haven't mined enough yet).. if I try to cash out, will I have to wait until we have mined the next block? Also, is there an order to who gets paid, ie who tried to cash out first, and so on?

1FwGATm6eU5dSiTp2rpazV5u3qwbx1fuDn
Lightspeed

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:12:43 PM

Hi,

Tom Lightspeed here, did some stats work, if you like it please donate: 1LYjJCtP8RFJ6zz6orxf5ym9CrvxPS4pDr

I could do some of the things you guys want too from what I am reading

May the force be with you

I do appreciate it tom!  I sent you 0.5 BTC a while back.  If the pool becomes a net positive for me, or we request some work, I can send some more Smiley Others are of course welcome to donate too if you like the stats page!

Ahh that was you! thanks Cheesy

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
Zoomer

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:38:43 PM

Up to 102 GH/s.

I noticed another block was found 4 hours ago. The other pools must hate us.
BurningToad (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:14:03 PM

One question about the new system.

Suppose the pot is in the negative (ie, ppl are owed coins, but we haven't mined enough yet).. if I try to cash out, will I have to wait until we have mined the next block? Also, is there an order to who gets paid, ie who tried to cash out first, and so on?

So, there is "Total PPS Work".  This is the number of shares you've submitted that have been counted and noted.  Then, there is "Paid PPS Work".  When the pool gets available BTC (currently, there is 50 BTC unconfirmed), this BTC will immediately go towards trying to make everyone's "Paid PPS Work" equal to their "Total PPS Work".  It does this in a fair way.  If 5 people are owed 2 BTC each (10 total) but only 5 BTC are available to pay out, each person gets 1 BTC added to their "Paid PPS Work".  The "SMPPS Buffer" would now be at -5.  The next time the pool gets BTC, it will continue to try and pay everyone.  

You can only "cash out" Paid PPS Work.  When BTC is added to your Paid PPS work, it is added to your actual "Current Balance".  When you have a current balance, that is when you can request a payout.  If you have a current balance, you don't have to wait for any blocks or anything like that.  The BTC is all ready to send to you.

BurningToad (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:17:45 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 08:08:12 PM by BurningToad

You can get a free cert here. Compatible with any modern browser.
http://www.startssl.com/

This has been set up.  Let me know if there are any issues.  Right now everything is redirected to SSL.  Do people prefer that, or prefer to have the option of HTTP/HTTPS?

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

Do people prefer that, or prefer to have the option of HTTP/HTTPS?

HTTPS all the way.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:15:14 AM

I was considering joining your pool. . .
I'm glad you showed a willingness to do a rapid change of the pool's ToS that significantly materially affects the mining agreement with little or no notice to your customers.
That alone is a deal-breaker for me.
The fact that the change was from 0% proportional to a system that credits users a fraction of that on short rounds (see my thread on reward comparison) is in itself a deal breaker even if you had given a bare minimum of 48 hrs or so notice by email or some other form like the header of your thread.
Finally, the fact your site doesn't have ssl as all the more popular ones is another.
It is unlikely these differences will ever be reconciled.

Best of luck though, I hope you make some money off the miners using this pps, and I hope they get what they deserve.

I have been mentioning the switch to SMPPS for quite a while now in this thread as well as on IRC.  I could have given better warning, but the expected reward for mining on the pool has not been reduced at all.

Your reward comparison thread shows some payment problems at Eligius, not payment problems here.  If the pool has BTC to pay, and someone is owed BTC, it WILL pay them.  It is very clear on our website how much the pool owes, how much it has, how much it has paid out, etc.  Miners will NOT get short changed on this system.  The pool will NOT "make money off the miners".  Over time, the SMPPS buffer will trend towards zero by definition.  I am not going to suddenly stop the pool with a large BTC buffer and not pay it out to miners.
Please don't feed the troll just to promote your pool. The fact is that GimEEE's nonsensical rant against Eligius is not much different from his rant here. Eligius, also, announced the plans to transition to the new system about a month in advance. Eligius, also, will pay whatever BTC is owed. Etc.

BurningToad (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:10:37 AM

Please don't feed the troll just to promote your pool. The fact is that GimEEE's nonsensical rant against Eligius is not much different from his rant here. Eligius, also, announced the plans to transition to the new system about a month in advance. Eligius, also, will pay whatever BTC is owed. Etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to slight Eligius in any way.  I am indeed done with answering GimEEE now.

BurningToad (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:11:21 AM

I think I just fixed some of the login issues we have been having.  You may need to clear your cookies, but after that everything should be smooth.

Please post if you still have issues!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: