Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:44:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 117 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMiner USB group buy- orders closed, pay for extra!  (Read 165540 times)
Naelr

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 06:27:58 PM

I have processed an emergency refund to cchan as discussed and agreed with Arklan.John

OMG! Thief! They're takin' our jerbs!!! err.. bitcoins! Cheesy

Sarcastic fear aside, it struck me again how smoothly this has gone.  Here we have 100 virtual strangers who've made a promise in an anonymous forum to make a purchase worth $200-$4000+,  a promise that 95% of have followed through and immediately paid up.  I don't know how many of you have tried this before in other group buy contexts, but that just does not happen.

We're also collectively trusting two other virtual strangers with the equivalent of $100,000. Next, we're trusting a tiny, relatively unproven company to deliver us an in-development product that nobody outside that company has ever seen function.  We do this knowing that even if things go incredibly smoothly with manufacture/delivery, and the difficulty ramp is better than expected, none of us will see our ROI for at least 6 months, likely longer.

Pundits on either side of the 'will bitcoin last' argument need look no further.

It is all magic internet funny money we are giving away nothing for something.... (I know bitcoins really aren't nothing but kinda feels that way to me every time I have received something I ordered with bitcoins.  I bought a $300 video card and still made the house payment whoot!)

Naelr (lover of magic internet money)

Join me in hosted mining.  And always use 2 Factor Auth whenever possible.
CEX.IO hosting mining

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:38:52 PM

That would be a *lot* of wall warts powering those hubs.  Cheesy

god, i hadn't even THOUGHT of that part.

lets see, 12 port hubs... what, about 35 of them? BAHAHAH. i don't think this house HAS that many plugs... to make no mention of the circuits blasting

or just a couple of these...

Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:32:35 PM

That would be a *lot* of wall warts powering those hubs.  Cheesy

god, i hadn't even THOUGHT of that part.

lets see, 12 port hubs... what, about 35 of them? BAHAHAH. i don't think this house HAS that many plugs... to make no mention of the circuits blasting

lol, where can you get em rasputin?
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:43:04 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 07:55:44 PM by LazyOtto

Actually, a half dozen of those.  Smiley

On two discrete USB buses / chains. (Since the USB limit is 255 devices per chain.)

And each of those panels would have to be able to supply 200 watts.

For approximately 1.1 kilowatts in total.

I think that would have to be called Uber Serial Bus.

-- edit

Although, that would be about 132gh. (Discounting any USB communication overhead / losses.)

Roughly equivalent to 10 ASICMiner blades.

Which, coincidentally enough, would use pretty much the same amount of electricity.

(I just used 440 as a convenient round number for those calcs.)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:17:16 AM

i've also picked up another hub so i can test 21 of these at a time.

I got a couple 10-port hubs recently myself (Rosewill), but as I look at it, I see the wallwart is only rated to supply 4 amps.

I don't think I'll be trying to run more than 8 on mine, unless I wire mine up to get 5V from my PC ATX power supply.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
arklan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:25:10 AM

i've also picked up another hub so i can test 21 of these at a time.

I got a couple 10-port hubs recently myself (Rosewill), but as I look at it, I see the wallwart is only rated to supply 4 amps.

I don't think I'll be trying to run more than 8 on mine, unless I wire mine up to get 5V from my PC ATX power supply.

the hub i grabbed was http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I

and now that i look at it... sigh. it may not power a full 12 either.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:03:07 AM

the hub i grabbed was http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I

I think I would rather receive my unit untested rather than have it run under-current.  I'm not an EE...which is probably part of the reason I am paranoid about these sorts of things.

Also I worry a little bit about the time it might take to get the cgminer or whatever software figured out for these brand new devices.  I'm sure you will be keeping us informed of progress through the time you crack open the big box.  In the hopeful case that we get that far at any rate.  If everything goes smoothly and seems to be working, it would be nice to have the optional QA.

BTW, has ~friedcat mentioned anything one way or another about any QA they might do at the shop?  I've not spotted it in any of his posts.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:06:02 AM

I'm not sure that 12 port hub is actually powered - the reviews seem to indicate the plug is just for the led lights.  This is the model I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Had good experiences with Anker stuff in the past.  Only planning to run 5 on each, so 4W should do it.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:09:06 AM

I think I would rather receive my unit untested rather than have it run under-current.  I'm not an EE...which is probably part of the reason I am paranoid about these sorts of things.

Also I worry a little bit about the time it might take to get the cgminer or whatever software figured out for these brand new devices.  I'm sure you will be keeping us informed of progress through the time you crack open the big box.  In the hopeful case that we get that far at any rate.  If everything goes smoothly and seems to be working, it would be nice to have the optional QA.

BTW, has ~friedcat mentioned anything one way or another about any QA they might do at the shop?  I've not spotted it in any of his posts.

that's what we're waiting on actually. him getting the chips and testing them.

i'll do everything i can to have cgminer set up, the packing materials and addresses to mail to, etc, ready to go the instant the box arrives. and lots of caffeine on hand too. i want to get the bulk orders done the first day, if i can. that's over half the chips though, now that i look at it.

as to the hub being underpowered: ...excuse me while i contact bitspend to cancel it!

you guys won't kill me if fro mthe day i get the package to mailing it all out is 3 or 4 days, will ya? christ there's a lot of you, and a lot of chips...

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:18:16 AM

I would not be to concerned about the chip per-se.  I figure they are given some amount of testing in fab and packaging.  The biggest concern I would have would be mechanical on the PCB.

That reminds me, was there any discussion on how/if the heat-sink is to be included?  None?  Loose?  Attached?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:27:31 AM

I would not be to concerned about the chip per-se.  I figure they are given some amount of testing in fab and packaging.  The biggest concern I would have would be mechanical on the PCB.

That reminds me, was there any discussion on how/if the heat-sink is to be included?  None?  Loose?  Attached?

i know it IS included. i assume attached, as, why not? but i also know they don't technically need them. so who knows. i could get two boxes, one full of heatsinks "no, it's not a solid block of metal! honest!" and one full of usb sticks.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:32:46 AM

i know it IS included. i assume attached, as, why not? but i also know they don't technically need them. so who knows. i could get two boxes, one full of heatsinks "no, it's not a solid block of metal! honest!" and one full of usb sticks.

I could see logic to having them loose.  I plan to have mine heatsinked, but I suspect that many/most people will not.  Probably the less screwing things on and off the pcb, the better.  I'm glad to hear that there will be an option.  And I never thought of the utility that they may have in shipping Smiley

bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:54:01 AM

you guys won't kill me if fro mthe day i get the package to mailing it all out is 3 or 4 days, will ya? christ there's a lot of you, and a lot of chips...

That's kind of what I expected.  The chips should be shipped in order of size ordered; the more chips you bought the more you are affected by delays.  I ordered 20 and if I don't end up piggybacking on a group pcb build, fully expect to be shipped somewhere near last.
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:12:13 AM

That's kind of what I expected.  The chips should be shipped in order of size ordered; the more chips you bought the more you are affected by delays.  I ordered 20 and if I don't end up piggybacking on a group pcb build, fully expect to be shipped somewhere near last.

wouldn't that go against the overnight shipping offer?

or, then again, it kinda compensates for shipping later doesn't it, if you arrive sooner/ same time... hmm.

oaxaca

Activity: 671

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:23:50 AM

or, then again, it kinda compensates for shipping later doesn't it, if you arrive sooner/ same time... hmm.

I think Big Ben is talking about a different group buy.  20 chips?  PCB build?

I'm biased of course, but shouldn't you ship the largest orders first?   Wink
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:26:01 AM

that was my intent. and he must be, since i have him down for 1. ...god i hope i didn't screw that up...

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:34:08 AM

Next time you run one of these (if you are not so burnt out that you'll swallow glass first), think about a policy where the shipping queue is organized based on the order in which people paid up when the call for funds went out.

If I were doing one of these, I'd be tempted to see if I could leverage some automation of some sort.  Google Forms comes to mind but that's only because I've seen it.  There are probably other such things, or one could possible roll one's own.

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87809

arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:35:01 AM

Next time you run one of these (if you are not so burnt out that you'll swallow glass first), think about a policy where the shipping queue is organized based on the order in which people paid up when the call for funds went out.

If I were doing one of these, I'd be tempted to see if I could leverage some automation of some sort.  Google Forms comes to mind but that's only because I've seen it.  There are probably other such things, or one could possible roll one's own.

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87809

i likely will do another in the future, though we'll see. several things i'd do differently, for sure.

bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:46:11 AM

Yea, sorry.  Got my group buys mixed up.  Still think bigger first, and I only got one.
Chemicalbro

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:32:33 AM

I think I would rather receive my unit untested rather than have it run under-current.  I'm not an EE...which is probably part of the reason I am paranoid about these sorts of things.

I'm of the same mind, I'd prefer to have it in the condition it was received in.

Vircurex Exchange BTC/LTC/NMC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 117 »
  Print  

Jump to: