Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:10:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381856 times)
Big Bear

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:27:54 PM

Thanks yrral86 but what exactly do you mean by "run them in the terminal with the right parameters"? My experience with programing is limited.

Are you saying I need to replace a file in the Bitcoin folder? Beyond downloading the program, what step do I have to do get this thing going?

I don't have to worry about electricity here, I live out of a hotel for a living.

I appreciate the help!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:40:51 PM

Can someone point me towards a readme file that explains how to install and operate these 'workers' or mining programs? Are they separate from the Bitcoin operating system?
I'm running an old Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop. It sucks but it's all I have right now.

From my limited experience with Windows CPU mining, puddinpop's miner seems to work the best. 

1. Set up an account and worker on slush's pool: http://mining.bitcoin.cz

2. Download the miner: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qtxuv5kko1x116d/bitcoin-rpcminer-20110128-win32bin.zip

3. Unzip the files into a directory like C:\puddinpop.

4. Open a command window and navigate to the install directory

5. Start the miner using a command like this:

Code:
C:\puddinpop>rpcminer-cpu -url=mining.bitcoin.cz:8332 -user=xxxxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxx

The user field will be your pool worker's full name, something like "bigbear.laptop" or whatever you set up on slush's site.  You need to keep the command window open (minimized is OK) in order to continue mining.  You do not need to have the bitcoin client running, but it is a good idea so you can receive the payments immediately.  Definitely keep "generate" turned off in the bitcoin client.  Good luck.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Big Bear

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:00:13 PM

Thanks a lot Cryptoman, I am now mining bitcoins! Albeit very slowly!!! Grin

Thanks again!
h00ters

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:22:27 PM

I think its a fucking joke for you to ask for donations. You should not force ppl to donate. How about not be a dick and dont force ppl to donate?

Because you're a huge douch, I may have to start my own server, with a better client.

It already feels like your taking small donations anyways... I've had multiple instances where I have not recived anything... and I think you're taking small snippets off te topmuch like the US banking systems does.

Forcing donations is not a good idea. How about you get out of moms garage and buy a better server instead of forcing the ppl that run the client to pay for it. Ugh, ppl that start projects and don't have the hardware to support it...... i.d.i.o.t!!
gnukix

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:41:14 PM

Many users ask me why I don't want their better hosting, why I don't set up fee for only CPU miners (which are traffic-ineffective), why I don't finish new protocol and so.

Please understand, that I'm on holiday and I'm writing from Internet cafe. I cannot deploy any big change, I cannot move system to another location. This is temporary hot fix for current system and I don't want to set up fees for forever.

I'm not exactly sure where the statement that CPU miners are traffic ineffective comes from, nor where/why the community's popular view is such.  The 4way SSE algorithm puts one of my (VMWare ESX hosted so the GPU in it isn't usable) 6 core AMD Phenom's at 18khash/sec, and at a far lower $ cost than the spare cycles I run my GPU miners on with a pair of 5870's.  That single CPU (which is a 2.7ghz X6, 1045T) does 18k/sec at a similar cost to a 5870.  GPUs are definitely more efficient, but a well written algo making use of CPU SIMD instructions will come well within shooting distance of all but the latest highest end cards.  My dual quad core opteron running at 2.0Ghz does another 14k/sec, granted that older box isn't anywhere near as efficient either, but the CPU miners could be faster, the SSE algo may not be the fasted algorithm in all cases (it IS way faster than the c algo or crypto++).

Now if you mean because each of the threads from each of the miners has to request work individually instead of as a team, I can understand that, but you're still only doing around 400hits/sec (if the getworks/sec is to be any indication of the hitrate) so I definitely agree that the amt of traffic exchanged for each getwork is probably quite a bit.  One thing I noticed is the diablo GPU miner does not back off immediately when it gets an error.  It retries immediately quite a few times before finally backing off and the site does 500 errors right at the time the network adds a new block, which is definitely causing more traffic for you.  Probably doubling your actual traffic just sending out 500 errors instead of forcing clients to wait a moment.

Heck with blocking a bunch of people with auth errors you might make things worse because they'll all start hammering.

I know it's going to take quite some work to make BPM fly though, and it won't be easy.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:08:10 PM

I think its a fucking joke for you to ask for donations ... I may have to start my own server
What a great idea. Please start your own server, and don't ask for donations.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:10:45 PM

I think its a fucking joke for you to ask for donations. You should not force ppl to donate. How about not be a dick and dont force ppl to donate?

Because you're a huge douch, I may have to start my own server, with a better client.

It already feels like your taking small donations anyways... I've had multiple instances where I have not recived anything... and I think you're taking small snippets off te topmuch like the US banking systems does.

Forcing donations is not a good idea. How about you get out of moms garage and buy a better server instead of forcing the ppl that run the client to pay for it. Ugh, ppl that start projects and don't have the hardware to support it...... i.d.i.o.t!!

Slush happens to be a well-respected member of the Bitcoin community.  He always responds quickly when people have issues.  I don't know of anyone who is actually able to make a living off of Bitcoins yet, so we all need to exercise a little patience and understanding.  By all means start your own server so you can listen to complaints from deadbeats.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:41:20 PM

CPU miners are traffic inefficient because every client asks for work at the same interval (5 seconds by default for the one I use) but CPU miners do less work per work request. Thus they produce more traffic per khash.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
hacim

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:50:03 PM

As a temporary solution, I need to set up minimal donations to reduce server traffic and/or gain more funds to server costs. Please set up at least 2% donations on your profile to keep your worker credentials working. Tomorrow, on Saturday 12:00 UTC, I set up required donations and restart application. After this modification, worker logins from accounts without donations will be disabled and attempt to use them in miners will lead to info message with link to this post.

I appreciate you running the pool, and your availability to answer annoying questions that keep coming up. I also know that you are on holiday right now and can't do too much, so thanks for what you have done! Saying all of that, I only say the following with respect and as constructive, not as a critique: maybe next time, more advance warning would have been good!

enjoy your holiday!

15yns1RVpBHZ8uj8mGVUJVCyPh5ieW3FQx
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:51:28 PM

First off, he said it's a temporary solution so that he doesn't have to pay out of his pocket for you to be able to mine.  If you don't like it, mine on your own, or set up your own server.  I was a leecher too, and wasn't thrilled when all my clients went dead this morning, but he has expenses, and they weren't being covered.  Just be happy he didn't pull the plug.  It's people like you that expect others to provide them everything for free that are the real idiots.  It's not free for him.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 08:04:38 PM

I think Slush is doing a good job, BPM is running smoothly, and I'm happily donating my 2%.
Anyway, I would like to see many, professional, profit based competing pool operators.
Slush, would you like to license your platform to bring up a new pool server ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
h00ters

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 08:06:19 PM

First off, he said it's a temporary solution so that he doesn't have to pay out of his pocket for you to be able to mine.  If you don't like it, mine on your own, or set up your own server.  I was a leecher too, and wasn't thrilled when all my clients went dead this morning, but he has expenses, and they weren't being covered.  Just be happy he didn't pull the plug.  It's people like you that expect others to provide them everything for free that are the real idiots.  It's not free for him.

If he pulled the plug then he would not make $$ off u and I.

It's ppl like you who assume. I did state I may as well use my own client and start my own server. Learn to read.
epicenter

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:47:12 PM

I don't mind paying a fee to be in the pool. It's just not a donation any more.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:57:02 PM

I think Slush is doing a good job, BPM is running smoothly, and I'm happily donating my 2%.
Anyway, I would like to see many, professional, profit based competing pool operators.

GPL'd pool servers are available, for anyone who wishes to run their own:  http://yyz.us/bitcoin/poold.py

See this thread for details of a pool test using this software.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 10:55:05 PM

If he pulled the plug then he would not make $$ off u and I.

It's ppl like you who assume. I did state I may as well use my own client and start my own server. Learn to read.
Then do so and quit complaining.  The rest of us find the usefulness of the pool worthy enough to pay a small fee to use. 
tashlan

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 12:29:48 AM

I would just like to say that I am extremely thankful for Slush's efforts without which I would be unable to mine any coin.  In my opinion, he has been responsive, open, and more than fair.  Despite my extremely low balance and rate of income, I have always chosen to contribute to Slush in thanks.

While I'm at it the efforts of jgarzik, m0mchil, puddinpop, and others who develop, package, provide, improve, write howtos or answer questions about mining software are greatly appreciated.

The unamed (sorry) persons who man these forums answering questions, moderating, and otherwise supporting users are also greatly appreciated.

This is my thank you to everyone who contributes positively to Bitcoin.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 12:55:21 AM

GPL'd pool servers are available, for anyone who wishes to run their own:  http://yyz.us/bitcoin/poold.py

I saw your thread before, problem is that I would like a more polished version, stats, payment processing, etc.
Are you planning on doing so ? Maybe we can start a bounty for that, or someone with skills may be interested in finishing it.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 01:07:03 AM

I saw your thread before, problem is that I would like a more polished version, stats, payment processing, etc.
Are you planning on doing so ? Maybe we can start a bounty for that, or someone with skills may be interested in finishing it.

The stats and payment processing code were too ugly to be released.  Any competent programmer should be able to do so, from looking at the SQL statements inside poold.py.

A commercially-supported pool is coming in the next week or two with these features, but it will not be open source.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
geebus

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 01:18:53 AM

I disagree with forced donations, but only due to the fact that I can't see the shares I'm contributing for the round, or the results of the rounds as they happen. The flipside to slush removing those statistics to prevent possible cheating, is that it creates a requirement of trust to him from every miner involved, without really giving us any indication that he is not "skimming off the top" as has been mentioned.

I'm not pointing any fingers at slush here, and I don't think he is cheating any of us, so don't take it the wrong way here. I'm simply saying that, without any way to verify my own earnings, I have no clue if something has been modified on the server end, or if anything is being altered in the time it takes solved blocks to appear on the statistics page. I have no way to verify (even for peace of mind, as I'm sure all numbers could be faked) that the pool actually did double it's speed/capacity nearly overnight, and I have no way to verify that I'm not being cheated.

Having those uncertainties, coupled with forced donations (even in subcent values) puts a very bad taste in my mouth. I'd be happy to donate and do it all day long if I had some statistics that I could base my payouts on, but I don't. Likewise, from my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) slush is already keeping the block transaction fees for himself. So as the pool becomes more active, and solves blocks faster, he's making more BTC... and if he isn't, he should be.

Feel like donating to me? BTC Address: 14eUVSgBSzLpHXGAfbN9BojXTWvTb91SHJ
JA37

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 01:41:50 AM

I'm donating 6% since 94% of something is more than 100% of nothing. My laptop would take a year (365 days) to mine a single block of 50 btc so my current rate of 0.1btc / day is much preferred.

I'd rather pay 6% than having the pool go away.

Ah, and I'm a really poor little miner with a total amount of 2btc in my wallet...

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: