Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:46:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious beliefs on bitcoin  (Read 22354 times)
neurobox

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:16:46 PM

Freedom of religion was a right secured by the Constitution of Medina which founded the first Islamic state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Medina
    This was at least 1150 years prior to the revolutionary war in the british colonies. Just for the record. Christians, Jews, and people of other beliefs lived in Islamic countries, sometimes in peace, sometimes in conflict, to the present day. Muslims and Jews, on the other hand, were expelled from their homes in Italy and Spain, from the 12th to 15th centuries after Jesus (Peace and blessings be with him and with his mother).

That's so humanitarian. How did Medina get a Muslim state? Anything to do with mass murder of Jews?

No more than US had to do with mass murder of pesky injuns (now that they're no threat & we got their land: Native Americans) Wink

And no less, either...

America also wasn't overthrown by an army of treaty-breaking caravan-raiders based on the personal vendetta of a leader who had been rejected from it...

Even after that, the Islamic Constitution simply instituted Dhimmitude. Non-muslim subjects and slaves were forced to pay the Jizya, a humiliating protection tax. They were decidedly second-class citizens, a bit like how the MB would have it in Egypt.

Freedom was hardly the point of it, it was about keeping their ill-gotten control.

The only reason I lambaste it now is that hardly any modern Muslim would oppose the idea of instituting such a tax globally, given the chance. Stop me if I'm wrong...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

Freedom of religion was a right secured by the Constitution of Medina which founded the first Islamic state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Medina
    This was at least 1150 years prior to the revolutionary war in the british colonies. Just for the record. Christians, Jews, and people of other beliefs lived in Islamic countries, sometimes in peace, sometimes in conflict, to the present day. Muslims and Jews, on the other hand, were expelled from their homes in Italy and Spain, from the 12th to 15th centuries after Jesus (Peace and blessings be with him and with his mother).

That's so humanitarian. How did Medina get a Muslim state? Anything to do with mass murder of Jews?

No more than US had to do with mass murder of pesky injuns (now that they're no threat & we got their land: Native Americans) Wink

And no less, either...

America also wasn't overthrown by an army of treaty-breaking caravan-raiders based on the personal vendetta of a leader who had been rejected from it...

Even after that, the Islamic Constitution simply instituted Dhimmitude. Non-muslim subjects and slaves were forced to pay the Jizya, a humiliating protection tax. They were decidedly second-class citizens, a bit like how the MB would have it in Egypt.

Freedom was hardly the point of it, it was about keeping their ill-gotten control.

The only reason I lambaste it now is that hardly any modern Muslim would oppose the idea of instituting such a tax globally, given the chance. Stop me if I'm wrong...

I'm not sure of what point you wish to make.  I'm not a history buff, so i can't even be a fun sparring partner.  The little i know about this comes from vaguely remembering that non-Muslims had to pay extra tax or convert (i assume that's your "humiliating protection tax"?) and a quick glance at a wikip page.
From the little i've learned this seems like a typically ugly thing man has done to man since the beginning of time, regardless of faiths involved.  The link to Islam is interesting.  Muhammad was instructed by Gabriel, God's messenger, if we're ready to give Islam the same benefit of doubt we offer Christianity?  In that case, what choice did he have?  Abraham was ready to slaughter his own son on God's say-so.
As for "second-class citizens," more than a thousand years more recent is importing cargo-holds worth of human cattle into US of A by decent, God-fearing Christians.

Do i think modern Muslims would oppose "that tax" globally?  I doubted.  I also have my doubts about Jews, Christians, atheists & just about everyone else.  I bet they all would levy that tax, given half the chance.  Wouldn't you?
semaforo

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:25:43 PM

And no less, either...

As I understand it the reason for the massacre of the tribe of Qurayzah was treason. This was war time. They swore to be allies to the Muslims and then broke the treaty. Leaving enemy troops behind your lines would be to invite a massacre of your own people by opening the rear. Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't really know.

The subjects of Byzantium and the Persian empire also had to pay taxes. Non-Roman citizens were also second class citizens in the eastern Roman empire. If a 2.5% tax(the exact same amount paid by the first class citizens) on monetary wealth is humiliating(that means income, residence, and purchases were not taxed- only assets like gold) then how humiliating must it be to live in the US or Europe today.
   Anyway, I am not trying to change anyone's opinion, just pointing out that the US was not the first place that religious freedom was secured by constitutional law.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:35:33 AM

No doubt the Muslims in the Middle Ages were much more tolerant towards "heretics", then Western Christians, however, this kind of tolerance is still not the religious freedom in the modern sense, only "peoples of the Book" are protected, although in practice they have a funny way to randomly expand the scope of such people, like just assume another religion's saint is an Islamic prophet coming before Muhammad,  in the end even Zoroastrians are considered "peoples of the Book". Also, I am sure that atheists are/were not tolerated.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:13:21 AM

Enough already, let's move on!
What I really want to know is what religious rituals do Bitcoin practitioners follow, which are fact based and which are superstitious?

Is there any value in becoming religious about Bitcoin?

And how about a help group, and a Q&A - how to tell you have become religious about Bitcoin???

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
neurobox

Activity: 220

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:04:01 PM

What I really want to know is what religious rituals do Bitcoin practitioners follow, which are fact based and which are superstitious?

And how about a help group, and a Q&A - how to tell you have become religious about Bitcoin???

One might:
- religiously commit their passphrases to memory,
- religiously practice downloading abstinence in their stand against crypto-stealing-spyware, and
- religiously proselytize the "outsiders" to accept their faith in Bitcoin...

For those of you just realizing you're in a cult... you're not alone.
crumbcake

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 08:29:19 PM

One might:
- religiously commit their passphrases to memory,
- religiously practice downloading abstinence in their stand against crypto-stealing-spyware, and
- religiously proselytize the "outsiders" to accept their faith in Bitcoin...

For those of you just realizing you're in a cult... you're not alone.

Simple.  If the word hash makes you think of http://www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/201212/cluster_node_radeon_gpu_cracking_opencl.jpg instead of http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/corned-beef-hash-b.jpg?ea6e46 or http://www.denverrelief.com/images/hash/bubblehash.jpg, it's already too late.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 09:55:38 PM

An even better one is the simple faith that that piece of paper with our private key that's storing thousands of our dollars is still in tact, and that the private key we've been sending money to all these years actually works.
cryptopi

Activity: 168

Want some pi with that?

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

In bitcoin I trust (mostly)

www.hosterbox.com - really good web hosting (accepts bitcoins)
(disclaimer - I am not affiliated with hosterbox in any way)
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 11:05:46 PM

In bitcoin I trust (mostly)
TRUST NO ONE

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 03:03:49 AM

Lol! What a silly story. I would have said, "And yet, we still don't find nails, wood planks, boats, gears, springs, watches, or anything that looks designed in nature  Grin"
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:38:56 AM

Zip it!
Not all Bitcoin priest are so tolerant, that why Amir Taaki, is only allowed to debate on TV from an isolated room.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:07:38 AM

You need to realize what distinguishes Bitcoin from nearly all religions is it professes a negative belief: instead of claiming the existence of some omnipotent entity, it relies on the assumption that some cryptographic algorithm are humanly infeasible to break.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
pizza

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:23:48 AM

I introduced bitcoin to a friend and they started talking about how the bible predicts a currency take over and its the start of the Revelation.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

For what it's worth this is written in the bible 4,000 years ago. There will be a digital currency and you will have a mark or a chip of some sort implented in you that is your wallet. Without the "mark of the beast" you won't be able to be part of society anymore as you can no longer sell or buy without it.

The only people that are delusional are the ones who ignore the fact that these things were written 4,000 years ago and are happening exactly as written about, if that's not enough proof of god's existence for you, than nothing will be, and by god I mean Jesus, as it's written in the Bible.

Another thing written in the Bible, about how people will turn away from god near the end. Now go troll among yourselves and enjoy this world while you can because in a short while, god will wipe you out of your worthless pitiful existence, while the ones who believed in him will live for eternity, those who have ears let them hear.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 08:45:03 AM

Zip it!
Not all Bitcoin priest are so tolerant, that why Amir Taaki, is only allowed to debate on TV from an isolated room.
Lol. When a cryptographic ucrrency becomes a religion.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 08:48:55 AM

Zip it!
When a cryptographic currency becomes religion.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 01:39:11 PM

Zip it!
Lol. When a cryptographic ucrrency becomes a religion.
Oh god why.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
$1LK

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:14:46 AM

LOL. Yeah. The one-world currency, the first tool of the antichrist. Seems fitting, until you realize that it doesn't fit the criteria.

1. The one world currency proposed in the bible requires that a chip be implanted on someone to make transactions, and that no other means are allowed, this would require the currency to be controlled, and centralized.  Not bitcoin.

That's a clear leap to a conclusion. The implanted chip may turn out to be a bitcoin wallet slash client. Matched with a way to connect slash network with other nodes and control transactions and addresses and BAM! Bible prophecy fulfilled.
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:04:10 AM

LOL. Yeah. The one-world currency, the first tool of the antichrist. Seems fitting, until you realize that it doesn't fit the criteria.

1. The one world currency proposed in the bible requires that a chip be implanted on someone to make transactions, and that no other means are allowed, this would require the currency to be controlled, and centralized.  Not bitcoin.

That's a clear leap to a conclusion. The implanted chip may turn out to be a bitcoin wallet slash client. Matched with a way to connect slash network with other nodes and control transactions and addresses and BAM! Bible prophecy fulfilled.
We all know it, the Bible is referring to fiat, based on the debt of the unborn. Bitcoin participation is voluntary, fiat and being born are not.

Now Zip it!

Burdy

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:38:47 AM

The man does have a point saying bitcoin is pretty close to a religion.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: