Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:54:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious beliefs on bitcoin  (Read 22354 times)
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:01:30 AM

Judging by this thread, athiests are the most intolerant, hateful, and irreverent types of people to have ever walked the face of the earth, however I do not generally judge based on a vocal minority.

I think what you perceive as intolerant and hateful is actually you being judgmental. I prefer to think of athiests as rational and kind loving people who have an alternate sense of community, and who react negatively to being judged by irrational standards.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:33:56 AM

Judging by this thread, athiests are the most intolerant, hateful, and irreverent types of people to have ever walked the face of the earth, however I do not generally judge based on a vocal minority.

I think what you perceive as intolerant and hateful is actually you being judgmental. I prefer to think of athiests as rational and kind loving people who have an alternate sense of community, and who react negatively to being judged by irrational standards.

Although I would not so far to say that athiests are the most intolerant, hateful and irreverent types of people ever (it just depends on each individual person and to make blanket statements like that seems to be too big of a generalization)

I will ask this question:  Where are all the hospitals, schools, outreaches to inner city kids, homeless ministries, women's shelters etc... started by athiests?  If athiests as a collective group are more loving and kind and have a heart for others, why don't they join together and do these things too?

Personally, I feel the reason so many non-profit organizations are started by Christians is because God is love and he puts love in our hearts to go beyond ourselves and do these things.  With His help we become more focused on caring for others then ourselves.  That is why we see this.  Just my thoughts.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:09:49 AM

No offence, but your friend is crazy.
Tekkna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:21:21 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 05:40:45 AM by Tekkna

I am being judgemental (I don't hold judging to be inherently wrong, I make judgements every day, "that car is fast", "Bitcoins are a good investment"), and based on my perception of this thread, as I originally said you get a very hateful athiesm:
Judging by this thread, athiests are the most intolerant, hateful, and irreverent types
That is, if you only had this thread as a representation for athiesm that would be a logical deduction.

I have not seen where I or others, really, have judged athiests by irrational standards on this thread. In fact the only judgement I've made wasn't really a judgement just a criticism of how athiests are behaving in particular this thread.

I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be a kind, loving, tolerant athiest, merely that such athiests are not common (at least from my experience).

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 11:22:25 AM

I was raised a Christian and was a Christian for many years, never giving it a thought until one day I thought about it.........................................

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

I was raised a Christian and was a Christian for many years, never giving it a thought until one day I thought about it.........................................

Smiley
I still am. And what was your though that put you away?

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 12:19:43 PM

Smiley

Christianity:

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Now let's discuss the ritutal cannibalism inherent in Christianity:

That whole "eat my flesh, drink my blood" thing...........................................

And don't bother coming back with that old "It's only symbolic" thing; "cummunion" is based on much older superstitions which state that the honor, experience, wisdom and power of one's enemies or gurus can be passed on by the eating ot the flesh, especially the brain.

" Take and eat, this is my body which shall be broken for you. And taking likewise the cup, he said: This is my blood which shall be shed for you; when you do this, do it in memory of me."

"The oldest and most sacred ritual in honor of cannibalism- the consumption of a victims flesh and blood, to consume their spirit and essence is the ritual of the Sacred Eucharist of Osiris."

http://one-evil.org/content/ritual_cannibalism.html

And if you really choose to think instead of blindly following "Pastor" or "Father" or "Brother" or "Sister", go here and look around:

http://www.evilbible.com/

My $.02.

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 12:25:44 PM

Smiley

Christianity:

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

That whole "eat my flesh, drink my blood" thing...........................................

And don't bother coming back with that old "It's only symbolic" thing; "cummunion" is based on much older superstitions which state that the honor, experience, wisdom and power of one's enemies or gurus can be passed on by the eating ot the flesh, especially the brain.

" Take and eat, this is my body which shall be broken for you. And taking likewise the cup, he said: This is my blood which shall be shed for you; when you do this, do it in memory of me."

"The oldest and most sacred ritual in honor of cannibalism- the consumption of a victims flesh and blood, to consume their spirit and essence is the ritual of the Sacred Eucharist of Osiris."

And if you really choose to think instead of blindly following "Pastor" or "Father" or "Brother" or "Sister", go here and look around:

My $.02.

Smiley

If I can't response with the 'it's a symbol addapted with primitive per-chrcistianty traditions' then I have nothing to say to you.  Lips sealed

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 12:39:05 PM

Smiley

Christianity:

My $.02.

Smiley

If I can't response with the 'it's a symbol addapted with primitive per-chrcistianty traditions' then I have nothing to say to you.  Lips sealed

Of course!  I expected nothing less because for you to actually read my post might induce independent thinking, which in turn could call for that most feared of human experiences; I refer of course to change.

My $.02.

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:35:46 PM

I will ask this question:  Where are all the hospitals, schools, outreaches to inner city kids, homeless ministries, women's shelters etc... started by athiests?  If athiests as a collective group are more loving and kind and have a heart for others, why don't they join together and do these things to?

They do you just can't see it.

It takes all types of people to make a society. Looking at a simply breakdown like Myer Briggs Colours you see the general population divides up, and about 3% in general are more logically minded and they tend to think along the lines of reason and logic. It is through this lens you can begin to see that God is not a personal god, but actually a metaphor for the fundamental laws of physics. And why call him god anyway it is a delusion. (These are the inventors - problem solvers) typically called athletes

Now on the other hand the vast majority well over 50% of people they are sensing or feeling, they see the world through values of good and bad, emotional wrong and right.  (These are the charitable workers - people helpers) depending on your cultural reference  typically called Christians.

So dumbed down if you want a world run by non profits - get rid of the green and replaced with gold, oh and those tools you use (the wheel, metallurgy, the plow, the printing press, the internet, ) well there source is from the marginalized innovators.

Community work and altruistic contributions to society from the innovators abound today - you just need to know where to look - Bitcoin and other OSS is testimony to that.

neurobox

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:35:32 PM

I will ask this question:  Where are all the hospitals, schools, outreaches to inner city kids, homeless ministries, women's shelters etc... started by athiests?  If athiests as a collective group are more loving and kind and have a heart for others, why don't they join together and do these things to?

They do you just can't see it.

It takes all types of people to make a society. Looking at a simply breakdown like Myer Briggs Colours you see the general population divides up, and about 3% in general are more logically minded and they tend to think along the lines of reason and logic. It is through this lens you can begin to see that God is not a personal god, but actually a metaphor for the fundamental laws of physics. And why call him god anyway it is a delusion. (These are the inventors - problem solvers) typically called athletes

Now on the other hand the vast majority well over 50% of people they are sensing or feeling, they see the world through values of good and bad, emotional wrong and right.  (These are the charitable workers - people helpers) depending on your cultural reference  typically called Christians.

So dumbed down if you want a world run by non profits - get rid of the green and replaced with gold, oh and those tools you use (the wheel, metallurgy, the plow, the printing press, the internet, ) well there source is from the marginalized innovators.

Community work and altruistic contributions to society from the innovators abound today - you just need to know where to look - Bitcoin and other OSS is testimony to that.

"...and they tend to think along the lines of reason and logic. It is through this lens you can begin to see that God is not a personal god, but actually a metaphor for the fundamental laws of physics."

From the opposite angle, the same are victims of a limited data set, disconnected from spiritual aspects of life, coddled by ego-feeding sociopaths into an unhealthy certainty regarding matters which they are admittedly naive to, as demonstrated by the shallow and inadequate deception parroted above. If you believe that a proper knowledge of physics is sufficient to nullify God, then you haven't truly met my God.
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 12:56:39 AM

I however do not care if it rains or freezes....................................................

https://myspace.com/thefishheads/music/song/plastic-jesus-22696809-22497994

Can I have an "Amen"?

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 01:28:00 AM

Just alittle reminder- this thread is about bitcoin. I know it's easy to confuse bitcoin and the Most High, what with bitcoins splenderous glory and all, but bitcoin was created by Satoshi,  Satoshi was created by his parents who were created by the chain of evolution on earth which was created by the force of gravity pulling cosmic dust together which was created by...the hodge and the podge yeah pretty much whatever logical explanation or word we try to use to describe this is going to fall short. There have been many saints- if you want to know about this force that holds everything together you can look at what they have to say... Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, peace be with them... Rumi, Hafiz, for the lyrically inclined, or stories about St. Francis, or the books of Ibn Arabi, the Tao, the Zen teachers, and so on... I always found these interesting ways of exploring the final frontier which is even vaster than space- within.
    Seek and you will find! Peace!
Ftfy.
You left out Eris you fnording twat.  Tongue
See: Discordianism
Also, you're prolly not actually a twat. In fact I like you.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
ktttn

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 01:31:30 AM

Sounds like he's pretty bad at this whole "being a god" thing. One regrettable mistake after another  Tongue

Not A god, The God. He's not in a position to cater to everybody's idea of what He ought to be. My whole point was that nothing he's done was a mistake, it all reflects his circumstances and all serves a good purpose in the end.

So, he made an angel that became Satan, humans that would commit original sin, and all the pain and pestilence and sinners in the world on purpose? Then why do we need forgiveness if it was all his fault?

Try that defence with Him, what do you think he'll tell you? Where were you to tell him he's doing it wrong? What if he's working out the best possible configuration of the universe, the misery we see is the inevitable birth-pain of something much better, and though the Earth "is his footstool," he still went to great pains to show compassion to those who could receive it?

You go to lengths to reduce the equation until it's utterly materialistic (read: carnal, temporal). How can one explain God that way?
Schizophrenia is the automatic and persistent disassociation of the un/subconscious from the waking self.
Case in point.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
ktttn

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 01:41:16 AM

Although I would not so far to say that athiests are the most intolerant, hateful and irreverent types of people ever (it just depends on each individual person and to make blanket statements like that seems to be too big of a generalization)

I will ask this question:  Where are all the hospitals, schools, outreaches to inner city kids, homeless ministries, women's shelters etc... started by athiests?  If athiests as a collective group are more loving and kind and have a heart for others, why don't they join together and do these things too?

Personally, I feel the reason so many non-profit organizations are started by Christians is because God is love and he puts love in our hearts to go beyond ourselves and do these things.  With His help we become more focused on caring for others then ourselves.  That is why we see this.  Just my thoughts.
Firstly,
http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9553.htm

Secondly,
http://www.weareatheism.com/resources/secular-charities/

Thirdly, have you ever read any Dawkins? Libraries. Kick. Ass.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:10:16 AM

From the opposite angle, the same are victims of a limited data set, disconnected from spiritual aspects of life, coddled by ego-feeding sociopaths into an unhealthy certainty regarding matters which they are admittedly naive to, as demonstrated by the shallow and inadequate deception parroted above.

Sure I can relate not all priest are kind to children and neither are all anti theists, but religion isn't the distinguishing line in universally socialy beneficial behavior. I shared an office with a minister for 6 months I ate lunch and  with him every day, we had deep philosophical talks and at the end of it all I could only concluded one's ability to pair intelligence with wisdom is the goal.

Also wisdom is not limited to religious practitioners and spirituality or tranquility or whatever you call a higher state of consciousness is not exclusive to Christianity or religion for that matter.

But that said I love some religious practices and spiritual places they are moving, I just don't come out believing in whoever's God or gods are responsible for the exercise.

Apologies in advance if you don't like my tone, given this media is far from my first choice. I would prefer to leave you to your way of being and encourage you to focus on growing the good in the world.

Fortunately I came to know at age 13 that a belief in your God can't be beaten into you.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 02:21:04 AM

I will ask this question:  Where are all the hospitals, schools, outreaches to inner city kids, homeless ministries, women's shelters etc... started by athiests? 

When 75%-80% of the US population is Christian, is it surprising that 75%-80% of those things would be started by Christians?
Tekkna

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:46:46 AM

I'm not seeing the logical connection between athiesm and charity, and I certainly don't know if you could derive charity in an entirely athiestic worldview. Now, certainly there are athiestic charities, however I don't know if there is a connection directly between athiesm and charity. And certainly no driving force of it, I guess you could arbitrarily decide if it was good to donate to charities?

have atheists done anything for the good of man?
vs.
does athiesm lead logically to charity

Apologies in advance if you don't like my tone, given this media is far from my first choice. I would prefer to leave you to your way of being and encourage you to focus on growing the good in the world.
Comparatively you almost sound pro-thiest  Cheesy

I also knew someone who was beaten for his belief in God, although this was in a public school.

That's not a logically valid statement.

I don't think anyone wants a world ruled by non-profits?

Further, bitcoin and OSS are all nice I use both (Currently running Ubuntu exclusively, with all OSS tools), however the goal of OSS as I understand it (feel free to reference material that says otherwise) is that many people together can create something better than commercial software, not that someone in need would benefit, indeed Linux has only rencently even become user friendly, it used to be a bunch of hackers attempting to create awesome software, usability left off to the side.

Bitcoin, as far as I know was not created for charitable means.

This is the type of thing I am speaking of, athiest use language like this all the time. Word twisting fairly rude, this is basically an ad-hominem attack more than anything else.

Athiesm:
The belief that the universe was empty, then it wasn't, then splat you have the entire Universe. Your ancestors are monkeys, and black people are racially inferior because they are more monkey like. Objective morality doesn't exist, so Hitler was A-OK as long as he thought he was doing good and didn't think the Jews were human. And really even if they were, we're all just molecules in motion. What if a pile of molecules stop moving, who cares?

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 04:20:04 AM

People are naturally charitable. It's in our DNA, since we are a social species that tends to live in packs. Wolves are charitable to members of their pack as well. So, with non-profits, some people start them because they are charitable, and some people start them because they are charitable, and use Christianity as an excuse for why they feel that way.

Theism:
The belief that the universe was empty, then it wasn't, then splat you have a god who then goes on to create the entire Universe.
Tekkna

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:28:07 AM

The belief that the universe was empty, then it wasn't, then splat you have a god who then goes on to create the entire Universe.
God is the eternal self-existing one, there was never a time when God was not present.

People are naturally charitable. It's in our DNA, since we are a social species that tends to live in packs. Wolves are charitable to members of their pack as well. So, with non-profits, some people start them because they are charitable, and some people start them because they are charitable, and use Christianity as an excuse for why they feel that way.

Interesting, do you have source for charitable DNA? And what do you see as the primary advantage of charity, doesn't that conflict with Social Darwinianism?

Further, Christians are more likely to be charitable, as charitable-ness is a command in Christianity, I reject that people are simply using Christianity as an excuse to be charitable.

Athiests might be charitable, if they want to loose the extra money, or time, but experience speaks that unless you have an over abundance of either you are unlikely to be charitable. Humans are inherently greedy (which I doubt you would dis-agree with, even from a purely atheistic world-view).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: