Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:22:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][FLO] A Worldwide Public Record | Alexandria | ETDB | Medici | 0.15 Segwit  (Read 515897 times)
eXSn

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:31:21 PM

I've been a long time supporter of FLO but I really wish the article wasn't titled so clickbaity... Would much rather have normal organic growth than sudden bursts of frenzied pumpers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jesselivermore

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:05:08 PM

I've been a long time supporter of FLO but I really wish the article wasn't titled so clickbaity... Would much rather have normal organic growth than sudden bursts of frenzied pumpers.

A pump and dump requires a dump.  Is Bitcoin a pump and dump?  If it is, then let me know when it gets back to a penny so I can buy more.

Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come.

- Victor Hugo
metacoin

Activity: 437
Merit: 260

balance

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 07:05:34 PM

Quote from http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/archives/43730
As long as someone is mining Florincoin, Alexandria will continue to exist."
What do the FLO miners have to do with the shared media content?
FLO miners, and everyone else running a full node, hold metadata and magnet links that point to the published media. Therefore Alexandria will perpetuate itself as a media publishing/sharing platform for artists and content creators even if Blocktech disappears.

+1

pin.org
jesselivermore

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:29:47 PM

How FlorinCoin(FLO) Will Replace The Pirate Bay And All Other Torrent Sites Forever
Not exactly the context I'd like to see Florincoin introduced.

Every version of Alexandria that I support will include a filter to block unverified content from being distributed to your device. Keep in mind Alexandria is free software. You don't have to use the filter...  but you certainly should if you care about respecting and continuing to incentivize original content creators.

There is no way to prevent data from being put into the block chain, but preventing the spread of content that publishers clearly do not want in a DHT is possible. Those who agree will subscribe to the filters and disallow that content from being perpetuated by their Alexandria node. This is the best we can do to prevent publishers' work from being distributed without their consent.

Florincoin has been around for quite some time now, so it is hardly being "introduced".  Apple embracing deflation rather than fighting it was very wise.  Who was the highest grossing touring band of all time?  The Grateful Dead, who encouraged the recording of their shows and the free duplication of them:

Ten years ago this month, a music sector ravaged by Napster and largely ignorant of digital distribution found a savior of sorts in what was then called the iTunes Music Store. With its 99-cent unbundled songs, the service quickly became the only significant source for acquiring music legally online.

With iTunes, Apple had drawn the blueprint for distributing music, movies, books, and apps over the web. By supplying and tying together a music player, online store, and song-mangement software, Apple drastically simplified the entire music experience, defying the odds to build a music-retailing dynasty even as file sharing skyrocketed. A decade ago, Apple started to answer what would become an all-important question: how do you get consumers to pay for content again?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/26/4265172/itunes-store-at-10-how-apple-built-a-digital-media-juggernaut
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:14:54 PM

FLO miners, and everyone else running a full node, hold metadata and magnet links that point to the published media. Therefore Alexandria will perpetuate itself as a media publishing/sharing platform for artists and content creators even if Blocktech disappears.

Thanks! And where are the published media stored?
worth

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:10:49 PM

Thanks! And where are the published media stored?

The media is distributed via bittorrent, so requires seeders to store and share media just as is the case with any torrent.
worth

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:23:54 PM

Alexandria is a real thing (I'm in the alpha) and it is extremely cool.

It's been in development for the better part of a year and has huge potential for content publishers and consumers alike.  The beta starts pretty soon so you'll be able to check it out yourself; I'll also be recording video tutorials on using it once it's in a more finalized form. I'm only doing that because the project itself has value. 

It's not about being "extremely cool".

Sure it is. You're just failing to understand why I described it as extremely cool. 

The Pirate Bay Business Model worked for about 10 years (anon, ad supported, free torrents)...
And had about 50,000,000 unique visitors/month until Hollywood lawyers broke it up.

Alexandria uses almost the exact opposite Business Model (pay-as-you-go, minimal anon, your mom's Pirate Bay)...
As currently described, the most likely result = Hollywood will ruthlessly shut it down.

The Pirate Bay is actually still running despite repeated attempts to shut it down. After 10 years. 

Alexandria is more decentralized than any website like TPB can be, and thus should be much harder to shut down.  It creates a way for publishers to monetize their content directly, not just a new platform for piracy. So it has the potential for Hollywood to benefit from it if they understand the futility of fighting it. 

It has the potential for musicians like my brother, as well as other types of artists, engineers, and more to have an income without being forced to use a system set up to benefit the recording industry and not the individual creators.

That is why I said it was extremely cool. 
Roryboy

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:36:56 AM

Pump and Dump? No, I have followed Florincoin for over a year and have seen the work that has been put in and the dedication some of the developers have had with this coin.  The whole idea of Alexandria has fascinated me from the start.  Here's to the awesome work being done on this coin!
eXSn

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:08:34 AM

Pump and Dump? No, I have followed Florincoin for over a year and have seen the work that has been put in and the dedication some of the developers have had with this coin.  The whole idea of Alexandria has fascinated me from the start.  Here's to the awesome work being done on this coin!

I fear the community, not the developers  Sad
blocktechceo

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:11:25 AM

I'm not meaning to fud Florin or anything but the way Blocktech spun things a few weeks back it seemed like Alexandria's release was right around the corner.

Instead we get a road chart begging the public for money to actually build the thing with releases in installments. I thought Blocktech was supposed to be an actual company with VC capital behind it?

Instead in the latest photos its a couple guys with a table and a projector in what looks to me like a boiler room, it just doesn't build confidence.

Hiya - to clear things up for you - Alexandria is in the hands of a few dozen alpha testers right now. The roadmap on our site is so that people can see what we have planned for Alexandria's development. Nope, we have no VC capital behind us, you're probably thinking of Blockchain.info, or Chain perhaps - this name space is getting a bit crowded Wink As such, many of the team members have other jobs to support themselves - the fund raise is to be able to let our developers put more dedicated time into the project to get it out the door sooner.

And I'm pretty sure the photos you're referring to are from the meetup we attended in San Francisco last week at the Founders Space incubator... perhaps it was a boiler room 50 years ago, but it's a pretty awesome accelerator space now Wink
dalovar

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:16:35 AM

The bootstrap posted in florincoin.org's front page is outdated.
Could someone update the bootstrap.dat? Syncing is taking forever as usual. Torrenting the bootstraps with a date labelled on them would be nice too
Lboss

Activity: 412
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 08:17:41 AM

It seems that I caught in the Dump phase Sad

I bought at 805 satoshis and just wanted to arbitrage with LTC at cryptsy. However, with a few minutes I missed the opportunity to sell since someone else has sold just before me.

Good lesson for me!!! Dont trade with coins that you already knew!!!
jesselivermore

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:38:34 PM

It seems that I caught in the Dump phase Sad

I bought at 805 satoshis and just wanted to arbitrage with LTC at cryptsy. However, with a few minutes I missed the opportunity to sell since someone else has sold just before me.

Good lesson for me!!! Dont trade with coins that you already knew!!!

I'm not sure what dump you are talking about.  I've been accumulating this coin since .0006 and still have not sold one.  I intend to accumulate millions more if I can manage to not put the price up too high on myself.  Long and strong!

http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:04:56 PM

Torrent and IT noob here. I still don`t get the main advantage Alexandria has over the existing solutions, but I am only an occasional user of the whole thing (i.e. the only way I know to handle it is to go to torrentz.eu, look for something, than click on a link and M-Torrent downloads it. That`s what a friend who knows about that stuff told me).
blocktechceo

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 05:51:01 PM

Torrent and IT noob here. I still don`t get the main advantage Alexandria has over the existing solutions, but I am only an occasional user of the whole thing (i.e. the only way I know to handle it is to go to torrentz.eu, look for something, than click on a link and M-Torrent downloads it. That`s what a friend who knows about that stuff told me).

A lot of folks are calling this a better alternative to "the existing solutions" for Torrenting pirated content, because by replacing a website that can be shut down with a blockchain as the torrent index/repository, it is considerably more robust, but I want to be clear that this was not our actual goal - the purpose behind Alexandria is to use the P2P technology that piracy sites rely on for free wide distribution to enable artists to be in direct control of their works and how they are distributed and monetized. We're of course aware that pirates will find the platform to be an attractive solution to their biggest problems, and since there's no way we could prevent them from doing so without creating central points of failure w/in the system, we're "ok" with it, but we are taking steps to prevent those pirated works from actually showing up for end users in the Alexandria browser. As Joey (metacoin) pointed out, this will use a filter system that users can opt out of, because otherwise it would be a pretty dramatic example of 3rd party censorship, but we think it strikes a strong balance of making the core technology available in a really supportive way to the average end user while preventing it from being blatantly abused by piracy rings.

So, to more simply answer your question, the actual "existing solutions" this is attempting to better would be YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud or iTunes, not thepiratebay or PopcornTime, and we think it offers many significant advantages over them (namely that it offers matching feature sets to those platforms, is uncensorable, has incredibly low distribution costs and lets artists monetize their works directly without any expensive middle-men).

Devon
eXSn

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:30:04 PM

Has there been a successful popcorn time for music on mobile? I figure Alexandria might show an interesting use case there. Probably not an original idea but might be worth looking into considering Apple is starting to strong-arm everyone with their Beats reboot.
jesselivermore

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 12:29:59 AM

Disclosure: LONG http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/archives/43909
eXSn

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 04:19:26 AM

TA doesn't hold in illiquid markets.
coinxcoin

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 07:54:46 PM

A lot of folks are calling this a better alternative to "the existing solutions" for Torrenting pirated content, because by replacing a website that can be shut down with a blockchain as the torrent index/repository, it is considerably more robust, but I want to be clear that this was not our actual goal - the purpose behind Alexandria is to use the P2P technology that piracy sites rely on for free wide distribution to enable artists to be in direct control of their works and how they are distributed and monetized.

There are a lot of little problems with your 'project'.

You started the project by buying up a lot of Florincoin, in fact a considerable percentage of all the Florincoin that exist.

Then suddenly it was listed on bittrex and poloniex. I assume you or someone associated paid for that listing. Is that correct?

And so on.

Florincoin is a good long term coin. There is no doubt that when the crypto market recovers it will do well.

But the blocktech project seems to be a simple pump built around an obvious developing trend in crypto, adding on data or block chain features.

If your intent had really been to do the project as described for its own sake you would have done it.

But instead you approach it as a pure marketing scheme. All glitz but little substance. My guess is that a person will be able to get a few days notice of an actual release of anything by watching the trading.

Again, florin is a good coin. It will do well. You probably hold 40% to 80% of the florin that exist so you will make money on it. But the project you describe will only be successful when it is released with no fake 'xyzceo' bullshit.

A lot of data coins are going to have a lot of stuff, and many of them will do well. Florin is one of those. In the short term florin will probably do well because you and your associates bought up so many coins. There aren't a lot of sellers since you have the coins. But in the long term it's prospects aren't helped by crude pumps. Very disappointing that the op was changed to mention block tech. It doesn't reflect well on the Dev.

I still have a lot of Florincoin by the way, so I'm not fudding.
blocktechceo

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 09:26:49 PM

A lot of folks are calling this a better alternative to "the existing solutions" for Torrenting pirated content, because by replacing a website that can be shut down with a blockchain as the torrent index/repository, it is considerably more robust, but I want to be clear that this was not our actual goal - the purpose behind Alexandria is to use the P2P technology that piracy sites rely on for free wide distribution to enable artists to be in direct control of their works and how they are distributed and monetized.

There are a lot of little problems with your 'project'.

You started the project by buying up a lot of Florincoin, in fact a considerable percentage of all the Florincoin that exist.

Then suddenly it was listed on bittrex and poloniex. I assume you or someone associated paid for that listing. Is that correct?

And so on.

Florincoin is a good long term coin. There is no doubt that when the crypto market recovers it will do well.

But the blocktech project seems to be a simple pump built around an obvious developing trend in crypto, adding on data or block chain features.

If your intent had really been to do the project as described for its own sake you would have done it.

But instead you approach it as a pure marketing scheme. All glitz but little substance. My guess is that a person will be able to get a few days notice of an actual release of anything by watching the trading.

Again, florin is a good coin. It will do well. You probably hold 40% to 80% of the florin that exist so you will make money on it. But the project you describe will only be successful when it is released with no fake 'xyzceo' bullshit.

A lot of data coins are going to have a lot of stuff, and many of them will do well. Florin is one of those. In the short term florin will probably do well because you and your associates bought up so many coins. There aren't a lot of sellers since you have the coins. But in the long term it's prospects aren't helped by crude pumps. Very disappointing that the op was changed to mention block tech. It doesn't reflect well on the Dev.

I still have a lot of Florincoin by the way, so I'm not fudding.

Actually, your primary assumptions are incorrect, so it sure feels fuddy to me Wink

No, we don't have 40%-80% of the florin out there - in fact Blocktech has less than 5%, and we got what we have almost entirely from mining. My guess as far as the reason that there aren't a lot of sellers is that the few folks who'd been accumulating it over the past year have their eye on this project right now. Obviously I wish we had a lot more of it, but we couldn't afford to spend the minor investments we did get over the past year on anything but development costs (servers, services, developers themselves, feeding them, office space for some time). Our intent really is the project as described, and we are in fact doing it - making something work does take time, so i'm not sure why you're so callously writing it off simply because it hasn't been released publicly yet.

Edit: Also, no, we did not pay for bittrex and polo listings. We emailed them to tell them about Alexandria and they were happy to list the coin.

Anyway, just felt the need to clear up that assumption since it was so far off the mark - no hard feelings tho, I can understand your general distrust of the XYZceo monikers Wink

D
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 126 »
  Print  

Jump to: