Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:21:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 ... 844 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BiblePay | 10% to Orphan-Charity | RANDOMX MINING | Sanctuaries (Masternodes)  (Read 243132 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (345 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
cuarc001

Activity: 103
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 02:48:48 PM

If the goal is to dumb it down for the average person on the street to be able to set up, use, and heaven forbid actually understand, then I think continuing to add gimmicks or "features" like POG is the wrong way to go. POG still throws in confusing complication that absolutely Nobody is going to want to have to go through. You are still going to be limited by a hand full of people willing to jump through the hoops. If you want it simple then you need to take steps back and cut the fat off the coin. Heat mining and staking. Staking is a headache for newcomers as well. It may be "good for the coin". It may be a "good concept". But in reality, it is a royal pain in the butt for newbs to set up and support. Exchanges are probably the biggest hurdle. NOBODY (outside crypto elitists) in their right minds would give their details to a no-name unregulated entity to handle their money. Especially when the average person hasn't a small bit of clue how to use an exchange. The reason Coinbase is so popular is that it runs a legit business with a very dumbed down interface. I work in IT and I wouldn't touch the exchanges that Biblepay has been traded on and I think the coin is terribly difficult for even the casual miners to set up. So, you are right that we need to change direction. We should focus on simplicity to gain adoption. We should appeal to the set and forgetters. The one click setups will support the Grandma's and Grandpa's. If I went into any church and started talking crypto even with a positive spin like supporting orphans, every last eye would glaze over. The average person does NOT understand blockchain or what even a Bitcoin is. So, please for the sake of the project just focus on making it simpler before adding "features".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bible_pay (OP)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 215

Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 03:03:14 PM

If the goal is to dumb it down for the average person on the street to be able to set up, use, and heaven forbid actually understand, then I think continuing to add gimmicks or "features" like POG is the wrong way to go. POG still throws in confusing complication that absolutely Nobody is going to want to have to go through. You are still going to be limited by a hand full of people willing to jump through the hoops. If you want it simple then you need to take steps back and cut the fat off the coin. Heat mining and staking. Staking is a headache for newcomers as well. It may be "good for the coin". It may be a "good concept". But in reality, it is a royal pain in the butt for newbs to set up and support. Exchanges are probably the biggest hurdle. NOBODY (outside crypto elitists) in their right minds would give their details to a no-name unregulated entity to handle their money. Especially when the average person hasn't a small bit of clue how to use an exchange. The reason Coinbase is so popular is that it runs a legit business with a very dumbed down interface. I work in IT and I wouldn't touch the exchanges that Biblepay has been traded on and I think the coin is terribly difficult for even the casual miners to set up. So, you are right that we need to change direction. We should focus on simplicity to gain adoption. We should appeal to the set and forgetters. The one click setups will support the Grandma's and Grandpa's. If I went into any church and started talking crypto even with a positive spin like supporting orphans, every last eye would glaze over. The average person does NOT understand blockchain or what even a Bitcoin is. So, please for the sake of the project just focus on making it simpler before adding "features".

You make good points, and actually what you say is sort of pro POG.

I was thinking with POG, we would be cutting the fat off.  We would be disabling PODC, disabling UTXO requirements, not staking, not talking about RAC, disabling the heat mining pool, disabling the supporter pools interfaces for CPID support, and with POG - we would be allowing "heat miners" to mine without expensive equipment (by tithing).  We could have an iPhone type interface with one page that would handle the simplicity of giving (frequency, amount, limits etc), and make it plug n play.  Its not a gimmick btw - an integrated pool is actually something that I havent seen in the cryptoworld.

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
🕇  Announcement | ForumSlackDiscordRedditTwitter | SouthXChange  🕇
🕇 A Christian cryptocurrency | Supporting orphans through a decentralized autonomous charity 🕇
cuarc001

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 03:59:12 PM

Except you are still confusing people to no end when you start discussing different tiers of rewards for tithing. My first gut jerk reaction is to say "why not just mine and give a percentage straight to the orphans account", but that doesn't solve botnets. Proof-of-giving is still confusing for people. It isn't quite the "dumbing down" that is needed in my opinion.
harrisvan87

Activity: 81

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 04:23:43 PM

I hope BBP team can develop some utility for BBP than the new way of mining and the new will challenge both old and new miner. Sorry, my personal see the unique mining idea not help us any and we change too much that is not effectively return for BBP. Everybody tired of the changing please focus to the utility for Christian Comuinity, Charity Org, Investor and Miner also.

Thanks Thesnat, me and everyone appreciate your exist for BBP and we all want hearing your thought also.
thesnat21

Activity: 490
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 09:08:39 PM

I hope BBP team can develop some utility for BBP than the new way of mining and the new will challenge both old and new miner. Sorry, my personal see the unique mining idea not help us any and we change too much that is not effectively return for BBP. Everybody tired of the changing please focus to the utility for Christian Comuinity, Charity Org, Investor and Miner also.

Thanks Thesnat, me and everyone appreciate your exist for BBP and we all want hearing your thought also.

I've had some back and forth with Rob on this and generally speaking I like the POG Concept.

I do agree there is still a complexity and an unknown,  and trying to explain it to folks even here has proved to be more difficult than I had originally thought..   

I'm not sure what the right answer is...   Though I'm starting to lean more towards simplifying PODC...

I don't want to alienate existing users, and am aware we need to provide a cleaner way for new users to get involved..   Let's keep the discussion going and see where we end up.

All these questions/concerns/thoughts are helpful overall, and I value all your input as well!

Nipar

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 12:15:25 AM

running into a problem installing the linux/ubuntu wallet:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f biblepay-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 biblepay-qt : Depends: libdb4.8++ but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
on ubuntu desktop 18.04.1
the error is from installing from the
Code:
ppa:biblepay-official/mainnet 
cuarc001

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 03:34:19 AM

Congrats to BiblePay on finishing in 4th place. https://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_team_all.php?proj=wcg&lang=en
sunk818

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 05:40:02 AM

Congrats to BiblePay on finishing in 4th place. https://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/stats_team_all.php?proj=wcg&lang=en

I think we should consider dissolving BiblePay team since team is not a requirement any more. No benefit to being part of the BiblePay Team.

MIP

Activity: 362

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:57:48 AM

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f biblepay-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 biblepay-qt : Depends: libdb4.8++ but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Code:

I'll check it and come back later, we install libdb4.8 from an external source dependency (bitcoin repo).
harrisvan87

Activity: 81

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 07:52:53 AM

I think we should consider dissolving BiblePay team since team is not a requirement any more. No benefit to being part of the BiblePay Team.

It is not requirement doesnt mean the PR marketing plan dont need Sun.
inblue

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 07:53:01 AM

tiers

Good synonym you used. I honestly think the word "tranche" should be replaced with "tier" if we want easier understanding for newcomers. "Tranche" is a scary word and "tier" is kind of attractive in the sense of a game or a competition.

And "tithe" definition is: one tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the Church and clergy. Old English - tēotha (adjective in the ordinal sense ‘tenth’).

But the givings are certainly not a "tenth" of anything, so maybe a better word would be "contribution" or something like that?

I know the original words are religious-y, which is more in line with BiblePay, but I think they're also off-putting.
vahtis

Activity: 153

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 08:06:34 AM

tiers

Good synonym you used. I honestly think the word "tranche" should be replaced with "tier" if we want easier understanding for newcomers. "Tranche" is a scary word and "tier" is kind of attractive in the sense of a game or a competition.

And "tithe" definition is: one tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the Church and clergy. Old English - tēotha (adjective in the ordinal sense ‘tenth’).

But the givings are certainly not a "tenth" of anything, so maybe a better word would be "contribution" or something like that?

I know the original words are religious-y, which is more in line with BiblePay, but I think they're also off-putting.

I second this. On this forum already there is a lot of non-native english people and as BiblePay will more known there is lot more to come. We should deffinitely use well known terms and avoid old and one area specific (religious). Tranche and tithe were both new terms for me even I have spent some time in US. It is annoying to read some text when you need to look some key words from dictionary.
MIP

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 08:50:54 AM

Code:

I'll check it and come back later, we install libdb4.8 from an external source dependency (bitcoin repo).

Quoting myself... there seems to be a problem with libdb4.8 build at bitcoin PPA (too old for 18.04 and it misses another dependency).
I guess that's why Licht added a custom db4.8 package for that purpose - which does work in 18.04

I´ll try to re-build using this custom db4.8

BTW Licht stable PPA does not compile now because build expects some icon files I renamed from dash to biblepay. I´ll make a copy of those later so both PPAs compile.
SVK Noko

Activity: 267

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 10:25:30 AM

New Poll:

Help set the direction of BiblePay!  Which (if any) mining option should we work towards?

https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=323.0

Thanks. Its hard to vote when we dont now much about POG. Yesterday here was request to explain this with simplier English how it will work.

Proof of Giving requires users to "give" to the orphan foundation,  and based on how much will put you in different mining "tiers"

Each tier will have a higher block reward (Money from PODC is moved into Block Rewards).   The "tier" mining reward is split  20% to miner that found the block,  80% to all in the tier.

Essentially you are joining a 20/80 pool,  each "Tier" has a mining advantage on certain blocks (details being hashed out,  if all others sleep during those or not).

There is some question/answers in this thread as well:
https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=319.0

Hopefully this helps,  if not let me know and i'll try again Smiley

Thanks.

In case we have POG what will be the sitution with Orphan budget? Budget for Orphans will be created only from POG? Or POG plus proposals? If the orphan budget will be created from POG and we can use monthly superblock budget for IT and PR in that case Im 100% for POG.
MIP

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 01:00:07 PM

Code:

Solved
thesnat21

Activity: 490
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 01:23:48 PM

tiers

In our sense tithe could = donation ...

Historically a tithe has been at least 25% of income, but they often gave more than that out of generosity, not obligation.

Thanks.

In case we have POG what will be the sitution with Orphan budget? Budget for Orphans will be created only from POG? Or POG plus proposals? If the orphan budget will be created from POG and we can use monthly superblock budget for IT and PR in that case Im 100% for POG.

I did ask this question, and assuming we can satisfy the orphan budget through just POG, that would open up the monthly budget for other uses potentially.

inblue

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:58:31 PM

I´ll make a copy of those later so both PPAs compile.

Does this mean I can stay on the "biblepay" PPA now that you manage it? In any case, thank you very much for your work, I have just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my main server and I was wondering if the PPA will work, because I've read that 16.04 is still better / more compatible to use for Bitcoin based coins, mostly because of the libdb.
macko20

Activity: 89

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 06:33:31 PM

Only two things keep the price BBP:

1. Stake
2. Masternode

The consistency is the most important in projects. Such changes will not change anything. Everyone is looking for stability. I recall, PODC was supposed to be the best, everyone is learning slowly.
Rob, I proposed one click setup for Rosetta. You wrote that you finish this solution. I wrote that I could take care of it this month, but you did not want to.
slovakia

Activity: 770
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 07:54:12 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2018, 08:12:13 PM by slovakia

i found PR guru for us: will create for us youtube video tutorial......of course,no for free,but price is OK ... this guy is very smart guy with excellent PR skills .... classic,he is from SVK

MIP

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 08:18:14 PM

I´ll make a copy of those later so both PPAs compile.

Does this mean I can stay on the "biblepay" PPA now that you manage it? In any case, thank you very much for your work, I have just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my main server and I was wondering if the PPA will work, because I've read that 16.04 is still better / more compatible to use for Bitcoin based coins, mostly because of the libdb.

I will try to maintain it but at some point it won't make sense to have 2 ppa's

The idea is to have mainnet for master branch and testnet for develop branch releases (so a testing cycle does not interfere in stable versions)

Later on when we merge with current Dash we will have to move to its fixed depends system. I don't know how compatible it will be with Ubuntu/Debian way of doing things, but I guess we will make it work one way or another.

16.04 version is better for masternode stability, as the libs don't have leaks. 18.04 do have some leaks and biblepayd crashes after 2-3 weeks on 1GB VPS.

For desktop use 18.04 is also fine.
Pages: « 1 ... 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 ... 844 »
  Print  

Jump to: