Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:53:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 196 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MΣC] Megacoin.co.nz - Forum, Github, Website Now in 18 Languages  (Read 330731 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Mike18feb

Activity: 657
Merit: 500

MΣC

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:59:15 PM

Crashed again writing to block while posting the previous message

<||=||>  Rule #1a: Never invest more then you can afford to lose. <||=||>  Rule #1b: Never invest all you can afford to lose. <||=||> 
............. Whenever someone idly claims a scam, a Bitcoin somewhere dies .............

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blarg

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:42:23 PM

have u downloaded the most recent update ? Megacoin 0.8.994

http://www.megacoin.co.nz/downloads
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 11:31:41 PM

I have never had the Megacoin client crash.. What operating system are you using? Are you using the latest version of the client?

vtr99
Legendary

Activity: 1214

Never compromise your standards!

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 03:22:37 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2013, 06:44:09 AM by vtr99

My Megacoin client crashes all the time. I've downloaded the enitre block chain again a few times. Reinstalled the client again, and so on. I can receive coins and after a while it complains that cannot write to a block file, and I can start all over again with the chain. Tried to send a coin and the same error occurs. Restarted the client, tried the same and now it was okay (Tequilablob just got a whole free coin!).

But these crashes happen way too much. What can cause that? Or what could solve it? Anynone know?

I've installed Megacoin on at least a couple dozen systems, and never seen it crash. I would check what other programs you have running, and give us your system specs.
Might be some sort of registry issue.

I would recommend you backup up your wallet, and try to do a restore to an earlier time (If you are running XP, Vista, or Windows 7 and have this feature turned on). If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the Megacoin client, run CCleaner, then run the registy cleaner, then reboot, and re-install the client. You can also do an SFC /SCANNOW to check your system files.
A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:37:50 AM

I must say that the qt client is the best looking one of all crypto currencies, bitcoin included. I'm going to support this alt just because of that. Image is very important in marketing.

Sadly I only see 4-5 different posters in this thread, arguing back and forth 90% of the time. Not really much going on other than that. No long time regulars, not much serious discussion. Just rants and animated gifs. Smells like a bunch of 15 year olds who are bored in school. Doesn't inspire confidence.

I've been a supporter since the beginning for Megacoin, back when Hazard was on a smear campaign because it was an actually unique altcoin.  At the time it was the only scrypt altcoin based on Bitcoin code instead of Litecoin like all the others clones.  Megacoin has unique potential with Kimoto and its not something you want to miss the train on.  Take advantage of the uncertainty that is scaring the weak hands into selling cheap because these prices will not last forever.
Mike18feb

Activity: 657

MΣC

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:28:46 AM

Thanks guys.

The system has been reinstalled recently. Windows 7 64bits, latest client 0.8.994D. System restore hasn't got much to go back to yet Cheesy
I'll try a clean install, just remove every file (and keep the wallet), clean registry, clean everything I can think of, reboot and install again.

Thinking it might be my virusscanner. I'll see what happens if I tell Bitdefender to stop interfering with the blockfiles. Try that first, and then clean up thoroughly

<||=||>  Rule #1a: Never invest more then you can afford to lose. <||=||>  Rule #1b: Never invest all you can afford to lose. <||=||> 
............. Whenever someone idly claims a scam, a Bitcoin somewhere dies .............
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:42:56 AM

Thanks guys.

The system has been reinstalled recently. Windows 7 64bits, latest client 0.8.994D. System restore hasn't got much to go back to yet Cheesy
I'll try a clean install, just remove every file (and keep the wallet), clean registry, clean everything I can think of, reboot and install again.

Thinking it might be my virusscanner. I'll see what happens if I tell Bitdefender to stop interfering with the blockfiles. Try that first, and then clean up thoroughly

I bet your problem is Bitdefender. Try Malwarebytes, or Panda Cloud free. Just make sure to set Panda to "Ask before deleting".
kriwest

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:54:02 AM

I must say that the qt client is the best looking one of all crypto currencies, bitcoin included. I'm going to support this alt just because of that. Image is very important in marketing.

Sadly I only see 4-5 different posters in this thread, arguing back and forth 90% of the time. Not really much going on other than that. No long time regulars, not much serious discussion. Just rants and animated gifs. Smells like a bunch of 15 year olds who are bored in school. Doesn't inspire confidence.

I've been a supporter since the beginning for Megacoin, back when Hazard was on a smear campaign because it was an actually unique altcoin.  At the time it was the only scrypt altcoin based on Bitcoin code instead of Litecoin like all the others clones.  Megacoin has unique potential with Kimoto and its not something you want to miss the train on.  Take advantage of the uncertainty that is scaring the weak hands into selling cheap because these prices will not last forever.

Well, as a newcomer to this coin (that at least likes the design); explain to me what the unique potential of this coin is? Who is Kimoto and what makes him more special than say, the Litecoin devs that are spending tens of thousands of dollars on building something great, or heck - the bitcoin devs?

Like I said, I fell for the good looks - now I want to know more about the inside. But there are no details. No marketing plan, no technical data about what makes MEC better in any way shape or form. Just Kimoto talking about gravity wells and being a comedian.

I want to believe, but just like the biblical god, you're not giving me any logical reasons to.
BladeRunner

Activity: 205

Cheif Oompa Loompa.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:00:54 AM

Well, as a newcomer to this coin (that at least likes the design); explain to me what the unique potential of this coin is? Who is Kimoto and what makes him more special than say, the Litecoin devs that are spending tens of thousands of dollars on building something great, or heck - the bitcoin devs?

Like I said, I fell for the good looks - now I want to know more about the inside. But there are no details. No marketing plan, no technical data about what makes MEC better in any way shape or form. Just Kimoto talking about gravity wells and being a comedian.

I want to believe, but just like the biblical god, you're not giving me any logical reasons to.

Obviously you didnt read the whole thread.

You would have known by now that Kimoto is the ONLY dev that has managed to bring the most recent and updated bitcoin source-code to a scrypt coin. All the dev's and all their "tens of thousands" of dollars have been unable to do that. Who cares who he is. Its genius for a single dev to pull that off.

Buy them now. or dont. If you have them sell them now so I can buy them and stack em.. I keep saying that MEC is a sleeper no hype no BS organic growth coin. If you dont have the patience to stack sell 10K for pizza and move along.
kriwest

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:49:29 AM

Hehe, I'm not selling or buying - just mining. As I do with every alt that I'm not entirely sure about, but still find something that I like about.
I'm not 100% convinced of the long term prospects, but who knows.
BladeRunner

Activity: 205

Cheif Oompa Loompa.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:57:47 AM

Hehe, I'm not selling or buying - just mining. As I do with every alt that I'm not entirely sure about, but still find something that I like about.
I'm not 100% convinced of the long term prospects, but who knows.

Yea I hear what your saying, in the same frame. People didnt think bitcoin was anything and there was quite a bit of hate when litecoin came out. My goodness what a difference a couple years makes.
Nordstern

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:44:33 AM

Only 4.000 blocks left untill halfing. It's time for the fork! I hope it will work.
Shouldn't we test it a little before, so that everything works well when halfing?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 11:20:18 AM

Only 4.000 blocks left untill halfing. It's time for the fork! I hope it will work.
Shouldn't we test it a little before, so that everything works well when halfing?
I trust Kimoto but still, no harm can be done testing it.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bholzer

Activity: 490

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 03:07:52 PM

I've been a supporter since the beginning for Megacoin, back when Hazard was on a smear campaign because it was an actually unique altcoin.  At the time it was the only scrypt altcoin based on Bitcoin code instead of Litecoin like all the others clones.  Megacoin has unique potential with Kimoto and its not something you want to miss the train on.  Take advantage of the uncertainty that is scaring the weak hands into selling cheap because these prices will not last forever.

Like I said, I fell for the good looks - now I want to know more about the inside.

For starters, that's a terrible reason to mine a currency. Litecoin has a 2-year jump on Megacoin and, for the most part, hasn't really made that much progress as an actual currency; I think patience is key here. It's difficult to start a company that accepts Litecoins without also accepting Bitcoins because you're literally giving up some market share...but by accepting both, you are eliminating the need for Litecoins by making them optional. Bitcoin is so well-established that until something comes along that offers enough advantages and takes some chances, it will remain the standard. A major "issue" with Bitcoin is the confirmation time -- it often takes over an hour to confirm deposits/etc making it ill-suited for standard transactions. Litecoin is a major improvement there...but if Megacoin properly incorporates Zerocoin, you're literally looking at the best currency out there right now.

One thing that could work against Megacoin in the semi-long-term is that it is a bit too front-loaded for many. People late to the game will not like the fact that 6 months in, half of the coins have been minted. If Megacoin became a standard, the distribution of wealth would be pretty lopsided and that's a red flag for some. A huge portion of the people mining it right now are hoppers that immediately dump what they mine...and it's usually the same people scooping it up at these ridiculously low prices (people like me.) There is no doubt you stand to gain by buying at these prices regardless of Zerocoin; however, the buzz/exposure/usefulness that would result would probably drive prices up rapidly to at least $0.10. Considering that's nearly 20 times the current price, it's a low-risk gamble I'm happy to take.

I'm all-in on Megacoin but I'd be lying if I said you shouldn't hedge your bets. How smooth the transition occurs at 63,000 will be a major indicator for me on how bright the future of Megacoin is. If it's another bumpy one, I'd say we might be in trouble.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:21:40 PM

Added a European based stratum server for Megacoin to www.miningpool.co

stratum+tcp://ch1.miningpool.co:9003

Nordstern

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:57:14 PM

Added a European based stratum server for Megacoin to www.miningpool.co

stratum+tcp://ch1.miningpool.co:9003
Thank you! Just switched to it.
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:35:42 PM

Did you even read the information on the Megacoin site?  Roll Eyes From your comments, you didn't bother reading through this thread either. No one is going to do your homework for you!

kriwest

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:53:43 PM

Did you even read the information on the Megacoin site?  Roll Eyes From your comments, you didn't bother reading through this thread either. No one is going to do your homework for you!

Yes, I did read. I only picked up on one notable thing: that it combines bitcoin 0.8.2 with scrypt. That's it.
Other than that, and the awesome looking site and Qt client, I didn't see anything special. What did I miss?
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:12:54 PM

Yes, I did read. I only picked up on one notable thing: that it combines bitcoin 0.8.2 with scrypt. That's it.
Other than that, and the awesome looking site and Qt client, I didn't see anything special. What did I miss?

"Don't think feel. It's like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory."
bholzer

Activity: 490

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 07:00:46 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you, man. If you read through the entire thread and this is how you feel...what are you even doing still worrying about it? If your only motivation for mining Megacoin is how cool the client looks, you should probably look elsewhere for now. Nothing wrong with being skeptical but we can't make your decisions for you.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 196 »
  Print  

Jump to: