Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:43:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 196 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MΣC] Megacoin.co.nz - Forum, Github, Website Now in 18 Languages  (Read 330732 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sharknutzz

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:45:07 AM

Nobody is trying to convince you to participate in MEC.  Nobody needs to convince you that it isn't a virus.

If you're not smart enough to figure it out for yourself, please immediately trade your computer for something more your speed, like a toaster.
TheDirtybird

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

http://canadianbit.com/ - Let's Mine Canadian!

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 12:45:11 AM

I am not making this up.. till its not flagged as suspicious virus I will not download it.

The developer needs to fix this .. I am sure I am not the only one.
vtr99
Legendary

Activity: 1214
Merit: 1000

Never compromise your standards!

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:55:14 AM

Well since the last available download of new wallet set off my Antivirus (AVAST) and the website that scans it (links posted below) said it was cleared.. i obviously have a problem downloading it when my AV says no and some guy on chat says yes..

Today I went to check.. and I try to download the new wallet and its not available.. page cannot be displayed when trying to download it.  I am sorry to say all this is too suspicious for me.. will try again in a few days till all lights go green.. anyone else might want to be careful as something strange with the download is going on.. again .. "trust no one"...

this is what that guy posted but my antivirus (even thought its in the scanned green list) still says its VIRUS. All these below say clean yet mine said no.. and not available now..you all might want to be a bit more careful.. and its not minerd.exe (miner flagged) but its a WALLET.. don't compare apples and oranges.. they are not the same.  I need a lot of proof to make an exception to a "false positive" and someone saying its good in a reply doesn't cut it.. Below is what that guy said was good .. but yet its no longer available..i dunno .. and to say again .. this is the FIRST wallet i have that has set off my antivirus when trying to download and now its not available.. those that gave it an exception may want to check themselves.  I believe my antivirus is still blocking the download.. that's why its unavailable to me.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ff2354c4e5d70316b41da067603c31401ca13da9b7f896ca75498fde0da56fad/analysis/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d888d727537b9f2892669f2aebe2adeb4a79270df32ad7f219ca6cf3d2c2c002/analysis/1378774436/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7b518168772362a570febf01e5b26abe4b361495cf089eb97e52dc6b94a3e067/analysis/1378774624/

Most of us are here because we trust our developer. Many of us are IT experts. I can assure you there is no virus in the Megacoin client. On top of that, Avast has become a bloated and useless piece of software. I would highly suggest you try Malwarebytes, or Panda Cloud. There is nothing strange going on here, only your imagination.  Roll Eyes The problem isn't our developer, it is your anti-virus!

You will also notice Avast does not say it is a virus, it says it's a suspected virus. Another incorrect assumption by Avast!
sharknutzz

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:00:34 AM

Have you done any searching for "Avast" and Win32:Evo-gen

Maybe considered that it could be a false positive?

I don't mean to be rude, but I will anyways... nobody cares "specifically" what Avast thinks.  If it is a false positive, there is no critical reason for dev to fix anything.

Think about your audience... most of us have the wallet, miner software, etc.... and I'm sure most of us also have antivirus software installed.  Do you really think that if this was virus-ridden that we would be using it at all?

You can get the wallet by starting here... http://www.megacoin.co.nz/downloads
I just checked it, links to sourceforge...

Good luck to you... whether you decide to use it or not.
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:04:35 AM

Well since the last available download of new wallet set off my Antivirus (AVAST) and the website that scans it (links posted below) said it was cleared.. i obviously have a problem downloading it when my AV says no and some guy on chat says yes..

AVAST... lol.

Trust me there is no virus you are getting a false positive. If you still don't trust everyone who is telling you it is not a virus then please stop going on about it and go download some other wallet.

On a more positive note looks like MEC will hit 0.00007 soon!!

Buy walls are very strong. Looking good! Only 1500 more blocks to go...  Cheesy
TheDirtybird

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 01:06:48 AM

Whether it is virus or not.. 2 things are an issue..

1- it is the only wallet I have ever tried to update that has been flagged as a virus..

2- for my own safety and opinion I will not be updating my prior client (which was not flagged) thus giving me no access to my coins for awhile.

I just wanted to share my experiences and for some strange reason you think that a wallet being flagged as a virus is not an issue by any antivirus.. you have become too trusting.  It probably is fine.. but there have been to many thefts of coins and wallet stealers and spyware out there to make me feel this way regardless of what any of you say.  If the developer wants this coin to be popular and available to everyone (not just IT people).. then I suggest they find a way to have it cleared by Avast and any other antivirus software that many people may have.  This is logic and not an emotional response to one of many many coins to choose from.  
sharknutzz

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:07:40 AM

Just went above .00007. Grin

the only thing is they are buying too fast.. its like asking to be dumped on

its supposed to be general rise in value, not a pump

I don't think anyone is buying too fast. My problem is I can't buy fast enough. There are less than 1450 blocks to the next reduction. No doubt in my mind The Kimoto Gravity Well will work as planned. The smart money is buying now. Wake me up when MEC hits .007 and I might buy a pizza or something.  Wink For now I think you would have to be pretty clueless to be a seller. Per bholzer's conjecture, I think the odds are excellent that Megacoin will be sitting above FTC soon. I also agree catching LTC will  be a very big job, and take time. But with a successful Zerocoin implementation it wouldn't surprise me to see MEC rapidly become the most popular investment grade coin.  

I will literally sell you that delicious hot pizza, for MEC.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240861.msg3103734#msg3103734

Grin
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:11:42 AM

I don't think anyone is buying too fast. My problem is I can't buy fast enough. There are less than 1450 blocks to the next reduction. No doubt in my mind The Kimoto Gravity Well will work as planned. The smart money is buying now. Wake me up when MEC hits .007 and I might buy a pizza or something.  Wink For now I think you would have to be pretty clueless to be a seller. Per bholzer's conjecture, I think the odds are excellent that Megacoin will be sitting above FTC soon. I also agree catching LTC will  be a very big job, and take time. But with a successful Zerocoin implementation it wouldn't surprise me to see MEC rapidly become the most popular investment grade coin.  

Grin

Like I said, I may buy a pizza when MEC hits .007. We just hit .00007 again.
darianc

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:20:33 AM

1- it is the only wallet I have ever tried to update that has been flagged as a virus..

2- for my own safety and opinion I will not be updating my prior client (which was not flagged) thus giving me no access to my coins for awhile.

I just wanted to share my experiences and for some strange reason you think that a wallet being flagged as a virus is not an issue by any antivirus.. you have become too trusting.  It probably is fine.. but there have been to many thefts of coins and wallet stealers and spyware out there to make me feel this way regardless of what any of you say.  If the developer wants this coin to be popular and available to everyone (not just IT people).. then I suggest they find a way to have it cleared by Avast and any other antivirus software that many people may have.  This is logic and not an emotional response to one of many many coins to choose from.  

I understand where you are coming from, but in this case your software is giving you a false positive.

This detection of a 'gen' virus just means that it sees some bytes that match a pattern.
I could make avast think it sees this virus by taking the right sentence from the right book and compressing it, creating the byte sequence it thinks is this virus signature.

The only advice I can give is to not put too much stock in a single source. Understand that false positives occur when simple pattern-match tests are applied.
This is why scanning with multiple engines is recommended. (such as virustotal)

If you're still not convinced, build yourself a vm instance using virtualbox or vmware to isolate software you are wary of.

Good luck!
sharknutzz

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:29:05 AM

Grin

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/simplefuture.html
darianc

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:29:16 AM

Block explorer has been updated to 995!

http://mega.rapta.net:2750 - MegaCoin Block Explorer

Hey Rapta, I'm looking to build us a paper wallet generator as a learning project.

I notice the addresses in your block explorer are bitcoin leading-1 addresses, is this a compatibility hack or are the addresses actually version 1 under the hood?

Can you shed some light on the "M"->"1" mapping?

If they're actually version 1 addresses, the paper wallet code just needs a patch for "1"->"M" address conversion.

I've got the Megacoin source, but was hoping you could give some direction. (my experience is mostly javascript/photoshop/frontend)

Thanks!
rapta

Activity: 325

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:41:55 AM

I've never noticed that until now, let me see if I can figure out why it's like that.
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:52:05 AM

Block explorer has been updated to 995!

http://mega.rapta.net:2750 - MegaCoin Block Explorer

Hey Rapta, I'm looking to build us a paper wallet generator as a learning project.

I notice the addresses in your block explorer are bitcoin leading-1 addresses, is this a compatibility hack or are the addresses actually version 1 under the hood?

Can you shed some light on the "M"->"1" mapping?

If they're actually version 1 addresses, the paper wallet code just needs a patch for "1"->"M" address conversion.

I've got the Megacoin source, but was hoping you could give some direction. (my experience is mostly javascript/photoshop/frontend)

Thanks!

It is wrong - they should not start with 1 - I had the same problem when I started a block explorer. From memory you need to find the hex in the code that corresponds to the beginning characters of Megacoin...

This is what I had in my abe-my.conf

Code:
datadir += [{
  "dirname" : "/home/ethought/.megacoin",
  "chain": "Megacoin",
  "code3": "MEC",
  "address_version": "\u0032",
  "magic": "\u00fd\u00f0\u00f4\u00dfe"
 }]

You will probably need to rebuild the blockexplorer db also after the fix.
bholzer

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 02:06:09 AM

Could you imagine blindly trusting your anti-virus software at all costs? I got the exact same message when I went to install my Realtek drivers off the disc that came with the hardware -- I solved the problem by uninstalling Avast.

It's obviously a false-positive...but if you don't trust the developer I'm not sure what else to tell you. Hundreds of people have already installed the new client.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
TheDirtybird

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 02:11:25 AM

I understand where you are coming from, but in this case your software is giving you a false positive.

This detection of a 'gen' virus just means that it sees some bytes that match a pattern.
I could make avast think it sees this virus by taking the right sentence from the right book and compressing it, creating the byte sequence it thinks is this virus signature.

The only advice I can give is to not put too much stock in a single source. Understand that false positives occur when simple pattern-match tests are applied.
This is why scanning with multiple engines is recommended. (such as virustotal)

If you're still not convinced, build yourself a vm instance using virtualbox or vmware to isolate software you are wary of.

Good luck!

Most intelligent answer.  Thank you.

I do hope the next version does not get flagged as it is not appealing.  I understand but it should be something to avoid in anything to be taken seriously.  I do have a virtual image just for that reason of course.. and may do that just to check.. time is limited and I would rather share than find ways around the situation.  Your advice is noted.

Good Luck to you as well.
Alienwalkerx

Activity: 208

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:17:54 AM

I am not making this up.. till its not flagged as suspicious virus I will not download it.

The developer needs to fix this .. I am sure I am not the only one.
Hey TheDirtyBird,

My download from sourceforge also pointed to nothing (due to my antivirus blocking it) I also use Avast so this seems to be an Avast issue.

My solve was to simply disable the securty shield for 15 minutes in Avast and re downloaded the megacoin wallet.

See your screenshot isn't actually saying it's a trojan, or malware, it's just flagged as 'suspicious' due to the signatures not knowing what the Megacoin.exe client is, because it isn't widely used and added to their list of signatures.

It's an .exe file so most default behavior for unknown .exes for Anti-virus software is to block it, unless added to the list of safe software that Avast keeps, or if the .exe is widely used and reported as safe..

You can contact Avast to let them know this software is safe and to confirm there isn't actually any threat to this software, and to add it to their list, or you can simply investigate the software and files yourself, you can actually open it and look through it to see if there is anything malicious in the code, this is the beauty of opensource software, and many people here have followed along since birth and confirmed everything as safe.

Anyway, if this doesn't change your mind, I'd suggest looking through google at many many documented cases of Avast (any many other anti-virus') having false reports of malicious code in software this is perfectly safe to run (even blocking vendor drivers and software)

Also if you are so untrusting that you won't download the DEVELOPERS OWN wallet, I'd suggest you keep your coins in an online exchange or wallet and only come back to complain in this thread when you lose all your coins due to the exchange closing.

I hope this helps your decision.

Alienwalkerx

sharknutzz

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:20:09 AM

Most intelligent answer.  Thank you.

It's the same thing that everyone else told you.  Congratulations on finally at least giving us the illusion that you understand.

Undecided
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:05:09 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 03:31:13 AM by vtr99

Grin

Understood. When I get ready to order that pizza, you will get the first chance at it.  Wink

Sounds like a business opportunity...  Megacoin Pizza International. Order a pizza from anywhere, pay with MEC, and have it delivered! 
Alienwalkerx

Activity: 208

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:41:17 AM

Grin

Understood. When I get ready to order that pizza, you will get the first chance at it.  Wink

Sounds like a business opportunity...  Megacoin Pizza International. Order a pizza from anywhere, pay with MEC, and have it delivered! 
This is feasible.

where I live Domino's charge $20 for 1 pizza.

have small pizza restaurants sign up to receive MEC and viola Smiley it will choose cheapest option.

but, this could be setup today with $ and work too.
vtr99
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:07:20 AM

Grin

Sounds like a business opportunity...  Megacoin Pizza International. Order a pizza from anywhere, pay with MEC, and have it delivered!  
This is feasible.

where I live Domino's charge $20 for 1 pizza.

have small pizza restaurants sign up to receive MEC and viola Smiley it will choose cheapest option.

but, this could be setup today with $ and work too.

I was thinking more along the lines of setting up a website, charge 10% over the cost of the pizza + delivery @ MEC conversion rate... All you have to do is call for the delivery, charge it to your credit or debit card, and done deal.  Grin  Problem is I would quickly run out of money (fiat currency) from not selling any MEC.   Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 196 »
  Print  

Jump to: