Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:56:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435291 times)
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:44:29 PM

Hi Doog,
  Why don't you just use as a salt for each roll a random # generated by http://www.random.org/ or another true random generator site (this one uses atmospheric noise I believe)?  Wouldn't that close any loophole for the operator or someone who has compromised the site and can see the server seeds to cheat?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:46:02 PM

Thanks - that's all I needed to know.  I knew you had funds of his on deposit - just didn't know if you blocked inputs.io deposits that would take exposure above that.

To be clear, I don't block or return deposits over the 500 BTC.  I just don't credit them to user accounts until I've withdrawn the funds from inputs.io into my real wallet.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:48:14 PM

Why don't you just use as a salt for each roll a random # generated by http://www.random.org/ or another true random generator site (this one uses atmospheric noise I believe)?  Wouldn't that close any loophole for the operator or someone who has compromised the site and can see the server seeds to cheat?

I'm not familiar with everything random.org has to offer.

But is it probably fair?  Is there any way I can prove to the player that the seed that made them lose was fairly chosen by random.org, and not carefully calculated by JD to make them lose?

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:48:53 PM

Thanks - that's all I needed to know.  I knew you had funds of his on deposit - just didn't know if you blocked inputs.io deposits that would take exposure above that.

To be clear, I don't block or return deposits over the 500 BTC.  I just don't credit them to user accounts until I've withdrawn the funds from inputs.io into my real wallet.

Same effect - and the effect is all I was concerned about.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:49:29 PM

A possible solution to this is the change the way bets are calculated. Right now it is a hash of (Server seed + Client Seed + nonce)

Maybe 10 investors are asked for a number from 0 to 9 and that's 10 more numbers that are added to the hash calculation.

Do I ask these 10 investors for a number for every bet?  10 investors times 20 times per second = a lot of asking!

If not, I can still see what number I'm about to roll, and bet accordingly.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
mechs

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:52:47 PM

Doog: I think so - I believe they keep a log and it is generated in fractions of a second. I suppose you could still try and front run it but with fractions of a second that would be difficult. Not saying it is bulletproof but it may raise investor confidence
Deprived

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:56:37 PM

But is it probably fair?  Is there any way I can prove to the player that the seed that made them lose was fairly chosen by random.org, and not carefully calculated by JD to make them lose?

It wouldn't change anything unless random.org were told the bet in advance, recorded it and disclosed it - as otherwise you could change what you bet once you knew the result from them.  And if they recorded the bet BEFORE revealing the random number then suddenly we have to start trusting that THEY aren't betting and exploiting it.

Beyond a certain point investors just have to trust - not just in this but in many investments.  How do investors know mining companies who have a machine break down didn't swap a good one for a bust one of their own?  How do investors know an investment/trading funs isn't creaming off cash by buying/selling from alt accounts?  etc.

At a certain stage people have to stop worrying about things that are only detectable from statistical analysis after the fact.  Short of having a 24/7 live video feed it's hard to stop or detect a lot of types of fraud.  You have to either be willing to assume some degree of good faith or just not invest.
bobboooiie

Activity: 656

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:07:28 PM

Dooglush do you have numbers of people that were watching todays madness Smiley ? Even though we lost a lot I was having a lot of fun and there was a lot of fuzz in the chat Smiley
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:10:50 PM

Why don't you just use as a salt for each roll a random # generated by http://www.random.org/ or another true random generator site (this one uses atmospheric noise I believe)?  Wouldn't that close any loophole for the operator or someone who has compromised the site and can see the server seeds to cheat?

It wouldn't change anything unless random.org were told the bet in advance, recorded it and disclosed it - as otherwise you could change what you bet once you knew the result from them.  And if they recorded the bet BEFORE revealing the random number then suddenly we have to start trusting that THEY aren't betting and exploiting it.

Beyond a certain point investors just have to trust - not just in this but in many investments.  How do investors know mining companies who have a machine break down didn't swap a good one for a bust one of their own?  How do investors know an investment/trading funs isn't creaming off cash by buying/selling from alt accounts?  etc.

At a certain stage people have to stop worrying about things that are only detectable from statistical analysis after the fact.  Short of having a 24/7 live video feed it's hard to stop or detect a lot of types of fraud.  You have to either be willing to assume some degree of good faith or just not invest.

Before dooglus invented provably fair, we just played Dice Games and hoped for the best. Now that JD came out we understand how useful that was. In this thread we tried to find a RNG that the owner can't manipulate, but if it's not possible then that's fine. It's not like investors will go to a competitor who has it.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
mechs

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:13:40 PM

Deprived,
   They would not know the server seed, so that would not be a vulnerability.  There would be the client seed, server seed and then the server seed would be hashed using a random number generated by random.org.  This would make the game provably fair to investors.  There are many proven true random # generator sites out there besides random.org also
Mechs

It wouldn't change anything unless random.org were told the bet in advance, recorded it and disclosed it - as otherwise you could change what you bet once you knew the result from them.  And if they recorded the bet BEFORE revealing the random number then suddenly we have to start trusting that THEY aren't betting and exploiting it.

Beyond a certain point investors just have to trust - not just in this but in many investments.  How do investors know mining companies who have a machine break down didn't swap a good one for a bust one of their own?  How do investors know an investment/trading funs isn't creaming off cash by buying/selling from alt accounts?  etc.

At a certain stage people have to stop worrying about things that are only detectable from statistical analysis after the fact.  Short of having a 24/7 live video feed it's hard to stop or detect a lot of types of fraud.  You have to either be willing to assume some degree of good faith or just not invest.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:19:02 PM

The most recent big win is another reason we need graphs!
Deprived

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:31:06 PM

Deprived,
   They would not know the server seed, so that would not be a vulnerability.  There would be the client seed, server seed and then the server seed would be hashed using a random number generated by random.org.  This would make the game provably fair to investors.  There are many proven true random # generator sites out there besides random.org also

It wouldn't change anything.  Dooglus could just request a random number from random.org then change his bet size once he calculated what the result was.  And that's IF there was some way of proving which random number was used for which bet.  It adds complexity but no solution.

EDIT: If your concern is trusting dooglus then you can't trust ANY server logs or similar he has access to.  That's what makes the problem (if it is one) very hard to solve.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:50:13 PM

I read the provable fair page, and don't get why it has to be so many steps.

What's wrong with just,

server calls a random function to generate a number and a secret string, combines them and returns the hash of it,

the number is released along with the secret string.

what's the benefit of the client seed other than "to further randomize the rolls." ? the randomness from server is not enough ?
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:29:43 AM

What's wrong with just,

server calls a random function to generate a number and a secret string, combines them and returns the hash of it,

what's the benefit of the client seed other than "to further randomize the rolls." ? the randomness from server is not enough ?
The benefit of the client seed is to keep the server from cheating. Imagine if you were betting on 10%, and the server gave you a secret which had been pre-tested, and the first 1000 rolls were between 10 and 90.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:55:45 AM

What's wrong with just,

Provably Fair works thus:

1. server seed = hashed and shown = can prove server seed did not change.
2. client seed = you, as the player, set this, AFTER you know the server seed is set.
3. secret revealed, you can now prove to yourself you had a fair game.

Were you around for while we were testing the site with testnet coins?  I gave lots of players millions of coins to test this out.  None of them succeeded in making a significant dent in the bankroll, and the bankroll increased many times over.

I was betting 50,000 coins at a time during that testnet phase. But then, we didn't have a bot capable of doing 20 bets per second, that would have been fun to watch.

I can double, or triple or quadruple the money, but you can't bankrupt the site because of the 1% max profit. Even if you make 100 wins in a row with max profit on each, the amount keeps getting smaller.

To really play and attract whales (and dolphins, and tilapia) the max profit must be high, the invested amount must be high. Even if 98% win, the 2% that lose big will make the site profitable. Usually, it's the other way around, 98% lose, 2% win, those winners just either keep quiet or make a lot of noise.

Of course, as everyone knows, I have the worst case of gambler's fallacy ... Smiley Gimme 0.4 I will turn it to 2.0. Therefore, gimme 400, I will turn it to 2000. Then there is that guy who did a 15x from 2 to 30. So one could think they can turn 200 to 3000.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:17:15 AM

Besides it's totaly stupid for dooglus to cheat this much at a time. If he wanted to he'd do it slowly over time, not like this.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:21:42 AM

Dooglush do you have numbers of people that were watching todays madness Smiley ? Even though we lost a lot I was having a lot of fun and there was a lot of fuzz in the chat Smiley

Not really, but the log does contain records of each connection and disconnection.  So if it really mattered, I could go back and work out how many connections were open at any particular point in time.

Going forwards it might be interesting to report that number in real time.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:26:48 AM

Before dooglus invented provably fair, we just played Dice Games and hoped for the best. Now that JD came out we understand how useful that was. In this thread we tried to find a RNG that the owner can't manipulate, but if it's not possible then that's fine. It's not like investors will go to a competitor who has it.

I expect you're joking, but I didn't invent provably fair!

The first implementation of it I was was on bitjack21.com (or whatever it was called), and later bitZino.com implemented much the same system.

Before I gave up on a system that was provably fair against the operator cheating, I was thinking of a system where each investor runs a small server of their own which {does something} to each bet in real time, and passes it on to the next investor's server.  Each investor seeds their own server, and so there's no way of cheating unless all the investors cooperate.

But then if any one of them goes offline, the site stops working.

"OK, so any 7 of 10 investors can generate the roll"?

Well, in that case I'll just try various sets of 7 from 10 until I find one that makes me win...

Any way you roll it, I can't see a reliable way of stopping myself from being able to cheat while also having the site be able to process player rolls quickly.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:31:32 AM

Besides it's totaly stupid for dooglus to cheat this much at a time. If he wanted to he'd do it slowly over time, not like this.

That too.  Even if I was dishonest it would make no sense to make a big fuss about "I can't lose" and whatever else he was saying.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:32:24 AM

Why don't you just use as a salt for each roll a random # generated by http://www.random.org/ or another true random generator site (this one uses atmospheric noise I believe)?  Wouldn't that close any loophole for the operator or someone who has compromised the site and can see the server seeds to cheat?

It wouldn't change anything unless random.org were told the bet in advance, recorded it and disclosed it - as otherwise you could change what you bet once you knew the result from them.  And if they recorded the bet BEFORE revealing the random number then suddenly we have to start trusting that THEY aren't betting and exploiting it.

Beyond a certain point investors just have to trust - not just in this but in many investments.  How do investors know mining companies who have a machine break down didn't swap a good one for a bust one of their own?  How do investors know an investment/trading funs isn't creaming off cash by buying/selling from alt accounts?  etc.

At a certain stage people have to stop worrying about things that are only detectable from statistical analysis after the fact.  Short of having a 24/7 live video feed it's hard to stop or detect a lot of types of fraud.  You have to either be willing to assume some degree of good faith or just not invest.

First of all: dooglus is the inventor of provably fair? That's damn cool.

So what would be needed to remove the possiblity for the site operator to defraud the investors, would be an verifiable external source of entropy over which the site operator has no control and that all participants can verify independently. If the bitcoin blockchain generated blocks more rapidly, I suppose that could be used. Or maybe not, because the operator could still discover a block then place a huge bet (knowing all the secrets) right before submitting the block to the network. Maybe using a block a certain number of steps ahead of the current block - the site operator would have to discover and withhold all blocks between now and then, and then place the bet and immediately broadcast all the blocks before any other node found a block. It would make it more difficult for the site operator to cheat, but bets would no longer be "instant", so I guess the whole game would lose appeal.

Anyway, it's a really interesting problem (but if the inventor of provably fair hasn't found a solution, what chance do I have?) - sorry for derailing the thread. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: