Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:26:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
davepsilon

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:34:52 AM

What disgusts me the most is that one of their employees mentioned in the forum on Dec 31st that they might be shipping by the end of the week!  So basically they were that close, and then a 2 week delay magically sets them back?  That's bullshit.  They're mining with our equipment and I can prove it.  Give us our machines.

I don't know what your expertise is in, but it certainly isn't in ASIC design and I'm guessing it isn't in any branch of engineering.  Delays occur at all phases of a project.

Everyone with a preorder entered into a contract.  The terms of the contract dictate what is late and the penalty for being late.  If you cared so much about it being a few weeks late X number of months ago, you should have insisted on a better contract or not taken the deal.  But you didn't, you accepted the offered terms.  And somehow I doubt your estimates for future bitcoin value and future network difficulty that you made at the time of purchase have hit the nail on the head.  There is a range to all future predictions and anyone with bitcoin experience should know this range is pretty wide - whether it is miner development time, or difficulty, or USD conversion rate.  I would say the development time is still in a range that is pretty reasonable.  If it hits Feb without shipping, that starts to stretch the reasonableness.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:41:49 AM

lulz  and so it begins

lurker account pops up with professional level CYA teargassing drivel

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:05:16 AM

It looks like there is a pretty solid update on their site.   
They have got the miner working and it is hashing.    Just looks like some tweaks to still do.  I think they should ship and tweak in the field like KNC did but maybe limit some of the "tweaks" to firmware and tuning updates (because I do not feel like reinstalling more fans).
http://cointerra.com/engineering-updates-terraminer-iv-hashing-live/

plato14

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:12:34 AM

They have got the miner working and it is hashing.    Just looks like some tweaks to still do.  I think they should ship and tweak in the field like KNC did but maybe limit some of the "tweaks" to firmware and tuning updates (because I do not feel like reinstalling more fans).

Only mining at 1.62 TH, WTF!!!
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:15:21 AM

KNC's first batch mined about 20% lower than the second batch when they figured out the problems.   I think this looks a lot better than the blackhole of information from Hashfast.   And it is 1.62 TH/s higher than BFL's blades that were supposed to ship now.

plato14

Activity: 127

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:28:19 AM

What disgusts me the most is that one of their employees mentioned in the forum on Dec 31st that they might be shipping by the end of the week!  So basically they were that close, and then a 2 week delay magically sets them back?  That's bullshit.  They're mining with our equipment and I can prove it.  Give us our machines.

I don't know what your expertise is in, but it certainly isn't in ASIC design and I'm guessing it isn't in any branch of engineering.  Delays occur at all phases of a project.

Everyone with a preorder entered into a contract.  The terms of the contract dictate what is late and the penalty for being late.  If you cared so much about it being a few weeks late X number of months ago, you should have insisted on a better contract or not taken the deal.  But you didn't, you accepted the offered terms.  And somehow I doubt your estimates for future bitcoin value and future network difficulty that you made at the time of purchase have hit the nail on the head.  There is a range to all future predictions and anyone with bitcoin experience should know this range is pretty wide - whether it is miner development time, or difficulty, or USD conversion rate.  I would say the development time is still in a range that is pretty reasonable.  If it hits Feb without shipping, that starts to stretch the reasonableness.

Looks like we have an ASIC/contract expert here guys.  Unless cointerra plans on making up for the extra .4TH PER ASIC then they are also breaking contract.  When did two months late on a product whose sole value relies on the time released become reasonable?
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:43:31 AM

Looks like we have an ASIC/contract expert here guys.  Unless cointerra plans on making up for the extra .4TH PER ASIC then they are also breaking contract.  When did two months late on a product whose sole value relies on the time released become reasonable?

They are still "working" to get to spec before they ship as per their post right?

At 1.62TH/s we have hit a little over 80% of our performance target. We hope you’ll appreciate that our engineers have been making continuous tweaks and refinements each day to improve the power efficiencies on the board to increase performance.

As we enter the final stages of testing and tuning needed before we start shipping, we’ll be sure to report back with any news and information. All of the components are in hand for the first batch of hardware and we’re awaiting the go-ahead from the engineering team before we push the button and start full production.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Alvi

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:53:43 AM

Yup i believe they are still tweaking and will eventually get to 2TH/s mark.

They are still "working" to get to spec before they ship as per their post right?

At 1.62TH/s we have hit a little over 80% of our performance target. We hope you’ll appreciate that our engineers have been making continuous tweaks and refinements each day to improve the power efficiencies on the board to increase performance.

As we enter the final stages of testing and tuning needed before we start shipping, we’ll be sure to report back with any news and information. All of the components are in hand for the first batch of hardware and we’re awaiting the go-ahead from the engineering team before we push the button and start full production.
r1senfa17h

Activity: 226

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:58:33 AM

They have got the miner working and it is hashing.    Just looks like some tweaks to still do.  I think they should ship and tweak in the field like KNC did but maybe limit some of the "tweaks" to firmware and tuning updates (because I do not feel like reinstalling more fans).
KNC's first batch mined about 20% lower than the second batch when they figured out the problems.   I think this looks a lot better than the blackhole of information from Hashfast.   And it is 1.62 TH/s higher than BFL's blades that were supposed to ship now.

Good thing that 20% slower first batch was still 57% faster than the 350gh/s KnC advertised when they went on sale in June. That would be like CoinTerra announcing their miner actually hashes at 3.1Th!

I don't believe that this 1.62Th is a bad sign for max speed. They'll reach 2Th no problem. I think they're just struggling with power requirements being higher than planned. Even KnC thought they were going to require 1.6 watts per GH before they finished tweaking.

1N3o5Kyvb4iECiJ3WKScKY8xTVXxf1hMvA
davepsilon

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:31:33 AM

A few points.
1.)  "here guys" - let's just knock the fourth wall down because this forum is just a place to hang out with your pals.
2.)  I'm not a lawyer, I am not giving legal advice.  I went to the trouble to retrieve my password so I could knock down on some serious whining over one's great foresight to preorder.
3.)  You assume they will ship at that rate of 1.6 TH/s.  I think they'll find some more knobs to turn on that engineering test unit.  Seriously, would you rather they just throw it over the wall when they are done and leave you in the dark until then?
4.)  I think one month is reasonable, which is why I said start of Feb as two months late on a "late December" wouldn't be until March 1.  From the start of development one month is a small enough change as percent of total development time, 10-20%.
5.)  If they ship under powered, it is covered under the terms of sale (http://cointerra.com/consumer-sales-agreement/) ... which is to say if they wanted to be dicks about it you'd have to battle it out over their claim of no warranty for efficiency of cryptocurrency mining and the 2 TH/s listed on the invoice.  I think you'd win, in which case you'd have the privilege to return the product for a full USD refund.  Oh great, I'm sure you'll do that right away instead of just keeping it and making more money than the refund by mining.

As for sole value relying on time - well of course a completed mining rig's value decreases everyday.  It is easy to see the lost potential of a few weeks now that the delivery date is upon us, but my point is that if you placed a pre-order you had to guess at three things - btc to fiat, network difficulty, and development time (could be infinite for a scam).  None of these were completely known, they all had error bars.  If one didn't include error bars in their original calculation (stupid) or didn't get the right terms to insure against error bars they were uncomfortable with (ignorant) then I don't want to hear them whine about it now.  I guess I'm just baffled how when everything so far has worked out very much in the favor of someone who preordered (compared to how it possibly could have gone) they would find reason to complain.  The risk looks like it will pay off pretty well still.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:50:19 AM

davepsilon, you have a lot to say for someone with 4 posts.  It's kind of obvious you work for cointerra, and if that is true, this isn't the way to communicate those points.
I appreciate your opinions though.  Your post actually makes me confident that the delay will only be a month.  Thank you.

gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:00:07 AM

You don't need to be validating real non-testnet blockchain headers to validate that your ASIC can perform double SHA256 operations correctly. 
Testing on the public network is actually a really poor test, in fact.  It doesn't test a gamut of difficulties, it doesn't test large block sizes (most pools are only generating 250k blocks right now), it doesn't test large coinbase transaction sizes, it doesn't necessairly tell you that your devices have severe latency problems (isn't obvious on the public network with a short test, but kills you if you want to merge mine with a fast chain).

Several miners have shipped from hardware makers with firmware which had severe problems with larger blocks as a result of inadequate testing.

I'm also of the opinion that testing should generally not be done on the public network, and that any "testing" done on the public network for demonstration or burn-in purposes should be limited to small amounts and ought to be 100% paid to the customers. Anything less creates creates a conflict of interests.

But hey, in a free decentralized system no one can dictate the terms from the top down. So if we want good conduct from hardware makers we're going to have to demand it as a community, or just hope that they'll adopt it on their own to foster goodwill. ::shrugs::

In any case, great to see that CoinTerra has hardware up and hashing.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:01:01 AM

I apologize for being rude, if I was.  I am glad to see a machine together.

Supercomputing

Activity: 278

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:37:41 AM

I apologize for being rude, if I was.  I am glad to see a machine together.

Yes, it is great to see a working miner and Congratulations to Cointerra for reaching this milestone. Now we need to find out the actual system power draw from the wall to average 1.6 GH/s.

Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
http://www.eecs.mit.edu/
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:39:26 AM

They have got the miner working and it is hashing.    Just looks like some tweaks to still do.  I think they should ship and tweak in the field like KNC did but maybe limit some of the "tweaks" to firmware and tuning updates (because I do not feel like reinstalling more fans).

oh yea!?  do you know ANY OTHER MINER that has EVER hashed that fast?  and they said they're making it go faster each day...  I'm happy to give them a few more days to see how much faster it goes..! (but id happily take it today at 1.6 TH)
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:19:49 AM

oh yea!?  do you know ANY OTHER MINER that has EVER hashed that fast?  and they said they're making it go faster each day...  I'm happy to give them a few more days to see how much faster it goes..! (but id happily take it today at 1.6 TH)

But they still advertise with:

"The TerraMiner IV delivers unprecedented performance at more than 2 TH/s while maintaining an exceptionally efficient power rating"

but you treat them like 5 year olds & cheering best effort

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
aerobatic

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:32:44 AM

But they still advertise with:

"The TerraMiner IV delivers unprecedented performance at more than 2 TH/s while maintaining an exceptionally efficient power rating"

but you treat them like 5 year olds & cheering best effort

yes, I'm actually pretty happy they seem to be reporting their progress on a weekly schedule (the past month seems to be every tuesday).   i like that they tell us what they're up to... and aren't making us wait an interminable amount of time to let us in on it.... and I'm pleased they make measurable steps forward with each update.  knc aside, compare that to most mining companies, who don't tell you whats going on, leaving you in the dark most of the time and waiting weeks or longer without an update.   yes, why not encourage this type of behaviour.   positive reinforcement might help other mining companies start doing similar..

JoseSan

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:42:37 AM

For the curious (since I was) their screenshot has the partial address '1CTtm4iiwqt35Rgew1DQW6YoSw', which does not show up on the blockchain or in Eligius' list of recent contributors.
motd2k

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:51:44 AM

nevermind!
aerobatic

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:51:48 AM

For the curious (since I was) their screenshot has the partial address '1CTtm4iiwqt35Rgew1DQW6YoSw', which does not show up on the blockchain or in Eligius' list of recent contributors.

expecting it to show up on the blockchain would require them to be hashing on that address for some time (hours to days) as eligius has a minimum threshold of btc earned before you receive any payments

similarly expecting that address to show up on the contributors list requires a minimum amount of hashing time (3 hours?)...

... so that tells us the machine was only hashing at that address for this demo and wasn't left on and continuously hashing, which makes sense given their stated goal of tweaking the performance.  presumably the tweaks involve both software (machine on, possibly hashing) and hardware tinkering (machine off, definitely not hashing)

also, they could be using a different address while doing their tweaks and they might only use the stated address when they want to demo it.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: