Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:39:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:16:35 PM

Stupid question, but if I have an electrician come out to install a 220 volt outlet/circuit, won't that outlet have a different shape/configuration?  I imagine I would need a different kind of cable to connect the power supply to the wall, but google is not providing useful search results (probably because I am searching for the wrong thing).

Any suggestions?

we have iec cables in europe the same as the ones in america.  they may well be the same cable with a different connector on it.  i don't know what connector they would use in the usa... but in europe, we mostly use 2 or 3 pin rounded connectors, and in the uk something different.

but i honestly don't know what you'd use in america when using 220-240 volt supplies.

europe..

http://www.power-cord.org/european-vde-power-cords/d04-1273.html

uk..

http://www.power-cord.org/uk-bsi-denmark-power-cords/y006a-st3-h-1507.html

Right.  In the U.S., 220V outlets are usually for things like clothes dryers and have special plugs.  Since they aren't intended for plugging electronics into, I wonder if no one makes cables for power supplies that work with them.  I would imagine that it's against code to install a 220V outlet that has the same plug design as a 110V outlet (which would be convenient for me, but probably not something I can talk a pro electrician into doing?).

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:18:21 PM

Stupid question, but if I have an electrician come out to install a 220 volt outlet/circuit, won't that outlet have a different shape/configuration?  I imagine I would need a different kind of cable to connect the power supply to the wall, but google is not providing useful search results (probably because I am searching for the wrong thing).

Any suggestions?

we have iec cables in europe the same as the ones in america.  they may well be the same cable with a different connector on it.  i don't know what connector they would use in the usa... but in europe, we mostly use 2 or 3 pin rounded connectors, and in the uk something different.

but i honestly don't know what you'd use in america when using 220-240 volt supplies.

europe..

http://www.power-cord.org/european-vde-power-cords/d04-1273.html

uk..

http://www.power-cord.org/uk-bsi-denmark-power-cords/y006a-st3-h-1507.html

Right.  In the U.S., 220V outlets are usually for things like clothes dryers and have special plugs.  Since they aren't intended for plugging electronics into, I wonder if no one makes cables for power supplies that work with them.  I would imagine that it's against code to install a 220V outlet that has the same plug design as a 110V outlet (which would be convenient for me, but probably not something I can talk a pro electrician into doing?).
i think it'd be a very bad idea to use the same outlet shape for 110volt and 220 volt.  it HAS to be different.  it'd be very wrong to make it the same.

hopefully, they've just made the 220volt be the same as most of europe.. and used those round pin cables.  makes the most sense.. that way, all electrical goods designed for europe would work, as is.

-- Jez

gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 02:57:04 PM

You can get computer power cords with NEMA 6 plugs, which is the norm for 240v appliances. They're not common in residences in north america, but not that uncommon commercially.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:53:33 PM

You can get computer power cords with NEMA 6 plugs, which is the norm for 240v appliances. They're not common in residences in north america, but not that uncommon commercially.
You need to ask the electrician what kind of receptacle he is installing because there are different heads for 20AMP and 30AMP.    You can buy power bars (PDUs) that have different heads too.   I am not suggesting you buy this one but it will give you an idea, Now look at one with 20AMP and you will see the plug is different.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Tripp-Lite-PDUMNV30HV-PDU-Monitored-208V-240V-30A-24-Outlet/4313583/product.html

The plug is called  NEMA L6-30P.   But that is for 30 AMP

Powell

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:17:31 PM

So people will be getting tracking today?!  Nice!
Alvi

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:18:32 PM

where did you hear that?
Powell

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:19:33 PM

where did you hear that?

Note that this will not affect the current shipping schedule of our units to customers this week.

From a few posts above.
aerobatic

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:45:26 PM

re: Cointerra being quoted as shipping out december boxes & 'the hack'

I just called Cointerra just now.  hung up a few seconds ago.  This info is hot off the press!  They said it was ok to put something up cos they're very busy right now in fire fighting mode.

here's what i heard from the horses mouth...  just now.

1.  they're very busy dealing with the aftermath of a serious hack on their web site this weekend.   It was a serious fraud & the authorities are now involved.  whoever attacked them did so to steal cash from customers & cointerra.   You can see from the notice cointerra put up on their web site that some customers were contacted and asked to pay to a particular bitcoin address in order to speed up their delivery slot or asked to convert from wire xfer to bitcoin payment.   Cointerra has collected a lot of information about the hack and are in the process of dealing with it.  Some of the Cointerra folks have been up all night and are tired and weary.   I spoke to an extremely tired senior guy (who shall remain nameless) who is in the thick of it.

2.  Contrary to a mistaken article in The Register published today, they have NOT sent out all the december customer boxes yet.  the article misquoted cointerra in several ways.  its unfortunate as other articles have now come out, literally reprinting what theregister said.  cointerra has asked the register to print a retraction or fix the article.  not sure if and when they will do so.  I've already seen changes in the article so i think they're doing something about the errors.

Confirming, in case its not already obvious...

Since I am an early customer, and some of you are too.. we'd be very concerned to hear that they had shipped out our boxes, when they clearly haven't!!

As far as I'm aware, only one box was collected in person (by Jake, an early customer).. and apparently hundreds are in production as we speak as they ramp up two factories to produce these things.

im not sure when they will start customer shipments, but hopefully in the coming week.  I'm positive we would've been notified when they actually ship as they use UPS and similar couriers.

If anyone wants me to ask them any more questions to ask them directly, ask away and i will try and get some answers...    But know that their priority (today at least) is dealing with the hack and making sure customers data, and orders are safe.   Making sure they find out if anyone paid the hackers instead of cointerra for hardware purchases in the last few days etc.

more news, as i hear it.
5craziest

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:50:48 PM

Have they even passed inspection yet?
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:53:22 PM

I just called Cointerra just now.  hung up a few seconds ago.  This info is hot off the press!  They said it was ok to put something up cos they're very busy right now in fire fighting mode.

Thanks for the info, aerobatic.  For those from cointerra reading this thread, it's in your interests to communicate as much as possible here (either directly, or via authorised releases like this) as it will reduce the number of people calling and emailing you every day asking for updates, meaning you will be able to ship faster.

Will

aerobatic

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:55:25 PM

Thanks for the info, aerobatic.  For those from cointerra reading this thread, it's in your interests to communicate as much as possible here (either directly, or via authorised releases like this) as it will reduce the number of people calling and emailing you every day asking for updates, meaning you will be able to ship faster.

Will

i told them that too (that some bitcoiners are excellent sleuths!) but they said the authorities will tell them what they can say...
willphase

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:03:20 PM

i told them that too (that some bitcoiners are excellent sleuths!) but they said the authorities will tell them what they can say...

I'm talking about delivery schedules, not the hack - as they've already said, their website being hacked has no bearing on their ability to deliver the rigs, I'm not really that interested in hearing more stuff about the hack since it's old news, and also understand that once you work with the authorities on stuff like this, you typically can't talk about it anyway.

But updating the community on delivery e.g. will we receive tracking numbers this week - would be a good idea, and save people emailing/calling them! Smiley

Will

Powell

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:08:03 PM

here's what i heard from the horses mouth...  just now.

1.  they're very busy dealing with the aftermath of a serious hack on their web site this weekend.   It was a serious fraud & the authorities are now involved.  whoever attacked them did so to steal cash from customers & cointerra.   You can see from the notice cointerra put up on their web site that some customers were contacted and asked to pay to a particular bitcoin address in order to speed up their delivery slot or asked to convert from wire xfer to bitcoin payment.   Cointerra has collected a lot of information about the hack and are in the process of dealing with it.  Some of the Cointerra folks have been up all night and are tired and weary.   I spoke to an extremely tired senior guy (who shall remain nameless) who is in the thick of it.

2.  Contrary to a mistaken article in The Register published today, they have NOT sent out all the december customer boxes yet.  the article misquoted cointerra in several ways.  its unfortunate as other articles have now come out, literally reprinting what theregister said.  cointerra has asked the register to print a retraction or fix the article.  not sure if and when they will do so.  I've already seen changes in the article so i think they're doing something about the errors.

Confirming, in case its not already obvious...

Since I am an early customer, and some of you are too.. we'd be very concerned to hear that they had shipped out our boxes, when they clearly haven't!!

As far as I'm aware, only one box was collected in person (by Jake, an early customer).. and apparently hundreds are in production as we speak as they ramp up two factories to produce these things.

im not sure when they will start customer shipments, but hopefully in the coming week.  I'm positive we would've been notified when they actually ship as they use UPS and similar couriers.

If anyone wants me to ask them any more questions to ask them directly, ask away and i will try and get some answers...    But know that their priority (today at least) is dealing with the hack and making sure customers data, and orders are safe.   Making sure they find out if anyone paid the hackers instead of cointerra for hardware purchases in the last few days etc.

more news, as i hear it.

Honestly if they try to use the hack as a reason to slow down shipping for more investigation then I'm afraid that a company as advanced as they are is producing equipment.  They have not said that of course but if it does become a delay of shipping because of that then something REALLY bad behind the scenes is going on.

Researching the hack could take sometime (but should only be the customer service people trying to get orders straight) but they do not do credit card processing, their bitcoin wallet is hopefully mostly cold storage or not accessible just by being on their network, etc...  They could have gained access to bounce emails off the servers but if there is no information in exchange that emails were sent from an internal source then it was spoofing on that part.  They did have access to the customer email user base.  Though if none of the addresses were changed in the customer info the hack wasn't that extreme (or done by anyone who knows WTF to do).

Our company does offer Sophos and a few other firewall options besides our main products IBM and even our personal office we have had plenty of failed attacks to even make it PAST the firewall.  Hell my home connection I'd put money on that the SAME person that did Cointerra couldn't get in to.  I run a simple Sophos client at my house instead of a router.  The point was to get in and scam people not take any top secret knowledge and even then if it was email access they only got into then more than likely they were not patching Exchange servers or their webhost wasn't doing so.

I can double check today if there were any major pushouts for that.

Regardless I hope customer service cane help all those that did get scammed.  That is the part that is truly bullshit and I feel bad for those people 100% as well.  Hell even the Cointerra members that do have to go back and help people that got screwed!
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 05:09:09 PM

cutting through all the BS once more...i ask again has ANYONE gotten a tracking number from cointerra yet.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
5craziest

Activity: 92

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:15:08 PM

No one has a tracking number yet
JoseSan

Activity: 117

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:51:32 PM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/cointerra_ships_bitcoin_miners/

There are so many incorrect statements in this it's alarming.

Cointerra has shipped the first batch of its TerraMiner IV $6,000 Bitcoin mining boxes

No. Batch 1 was priced at about $14,000.

All customers who ordered for the December deadline have now received what has come to be known as "Batch 1" kit

This is totally false.

We've heard from readers who've received their boxes.

Ahuh. Who?

There is a little new information in Ravi's quote:

Another key thing to note,” added Iyengar, “is that our GoldStrike1 ASIC itself is very high performance and meets and exceeds the published spec. It is the board level power circuit inefficiencies which reduced the overall performance marginally. However, as stated above we are getting closer and closer to the spec with improvements that we are doing on the board."

So perhaps they were accurate when they reported their 132 GH/s/die. If true, I'm guessing the tinkerers out there will be able to get plenty of further performance out of the under-speced units, much like October KNC units.

willphase

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:01:52 PM

Another key thing to note,” added Iyengar, “is that our GoldStrike1 ASIC itself is very high performance and meets and exceeds the published spec. It is the board level power circuit inefficiencies which reduced the overall performance marginally. However, as stated above we are getting closer and closer to the spec with improvements that we are doing on the board."

So perhaps they were accurate when they reported their 132 GH/s/die. If true, I'm guessing the tinkerers out there will be able to get plenty of further performance out of the under-speced units, much like October KNC units.

of course it's possible, but highly speculative, that they have decided to do a quick board redesign before they ship the first December units - I think the turnaround on a new board could be just a few days if they really act quickly.  This would explain the delay in shipping the first units.  This is just complete guesswork though.

Will

aerobatic

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:07:39 PM

of course it's possible, but highly speculative, that they have decided to do a quick board redesign before they ship the first December units - I think the turnaround on a new board could be just a few days if they really act quickly.  This would explain the delay in shipping the first units.  This is just complete guesswork though.

Will

turning around a new board doesn't take time.  what takes time is buying new components that weren't in the old board.  that could be weeks.

im assuming that any tweaks that they can make to the hardware and software are with the existing board and are tweaks that could be made to any of our boxes (possibly even after they've shipped them to us)...  and they said that a later batch (march?  april?) will get the benefit of the next board design that is completely different...  and that probably also explains why they continue to claim 2 TH/s on their web site (because they're selling the may batch which is far enough away that they know they will have finished their tweaking, AND had a new board in production by then)

I'm still optimistic that the tweaks they can make will improve the box further and get it closer to the goal.  since two weeks ago when it was 1.5 TH, and last week when the 1st customer got one hashing at 1.7 TH thats already a decent improvement.. and if we can get the benefit of further tweaks it could be 1.75 or 1.8 before long.

willphase

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:20:20 PM

Will

turning around a new board doesn't take time.  what takes time is buying new components that weren't in the old board.  that could be weeks.

im assuming that any tweaks that they can make to the hardware and software are with the existing board and are tweaks that could be made to any of our boxes (possibly even after they've shipped them to us)...  and they said that a later batch (march?  april?) will get the benefit of the next board design that is completely different...  and that probably also explains why they continue to claim 2 TH/s on their web site (because they're selling the may batch which is far enough away that they know they will have finished their tweaking, AND had a new board in production by then)

I'm still optimistic that the tweaks they can make will improve the box further and get it closer to the goal.  since two weeks ago when it was 1.5 TH, and last week when the 1st customer got one hashing at 1.7 TH thats already a decent improvement.. and if we can get the benefit of further tweaks it could be 1.75 or 1.8 before long.

Sure, I agree with you but I'm just not sure it can fully explain the further delays in getting the first Dec units shipped, other than an attempted redesign... after all if they work on the firmware they can always roll out firmware updates afterwards, like KNC did.

I also agree that by the time they ship units that people are paying for now, they will reach the 2Th, so putting 2Th on their website isn't disingenuous at all.

Will

Will

testerx

Activity: 608

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

Why is it that every week they now say that they're going to begin shipping "this week" but nothing seems to get shipped?  It's already February and December units haven't shipped and the difficulty is going to be 3 billion a day from now, so what's the difficulty going to be by the time I get my first unit, 4 billion?!

Come on Cointerra, why the hell aren't you shipping anything?  You guys better not be kidding around with certifications that could take weeks to months to obtain, wtf?!
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: