Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:28:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] BitFury Miner Support/Tuning  (Read 147973 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:15:07 PM

My 400GH/s Bitfury rig is not hashing after sudo reboot command

Output of /run/shm/.stat.log after reboot:

1       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
2       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
3       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $

Output of /run/shm/.stat.log after a few minutes following reboot:

1       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
2       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
3       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $

As you can see, the autotune is turning off the chips.

Please help!

make sure you wait at least a few min for hashing to occur.  make sure you have enough cooling via fans +/- heatsinks.  try rearranging some h boards.  other than that, rebooting should've worked.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Couple things to add - Ive had this up and running since December. Ive had the speeds up to 55 (880) but AC kept turning off, so I lowered down to 52 until I got that fixed. The AC was fixed today so I bumped the speeds up to 55 again and proceeded with the reboot.

Logically followed it would imply that I screwed up the best.cnf file or something. This happened once before where I had did a search and replace all of 55 to 52, but forgot to go back and change the chip numbers 55, 155 and 255. Once I fixed this the miner started up fine. Knowing I had done this once before I manually checked all the chip numbers and they are sequentially correct.

Is there any way to make/restore a default best.cnf?

Create /opt/bitfury/best.cnf like this to run all chips at speed 52 with autotune disabled or to whatever you desire:
Code:
rm /opt/bitfury/best.cnf ; for i in {1..256} ; do echo -e "$i\taIfDSo\t52" >> /opt/bitfury/best.cnf ; done

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inamatus

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:07:57 AM

My 400GH/s Bitfury rig is not hashing after sudo reboot command

Output of /run/shm/.stat.log after reboot:

1       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
2       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
3       AIfDSo  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $

Output of /run/shm/.stat.log after a few minutes following reboot:

1       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
2       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $
3       AiFDso  52      0.000   0.000   0       0       0       0       0      $

As you can see, the autotune is turning off the chips.

Please help!

make sure you wait at least a few min for hashing to occur.  make sure you have enough cooling via fans +/- heatsinks.  try rearranging some h boards.  other than that, rebooting should've worked.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Couple things to add - Ive had this up and running since December. Ive had the speeds up to 55 (880) but AC kept turning off, so I lowered down to 52 until I got that fixed. The AC was fixed today so I bumped the speeds up to 55 again and proceeded with the reboot.

Logically followed it would imply that I screwed up the best.cnf file or something. This happened once before where I had did a search and replace all of 55 to 52, but forgot to go back and change the chip numbers 55, 155 and 255. Once I fixed this the miner started up fine. Knowing I had done this once before I manually checked all the chip numbers and they are sequentially correct.

Is there any way to make/restore a default best.cnf?

Create /opt/bitfury/best.cnf like this to run all chips at speed 52 with autotune disabled or to whatever you desire:
Code:
rm /opt/bitfury/best.cnf ; for i in {1..256} ; do echo -e "$i\taIfDSo\t52" >> /opt/bitfury/best.cnf ; done

After I ran the stop-stratumproxy.sh, start-stratumproxy.sh, stop-miner.sh and start-miner.sh scripts it started working. No idea what was wrong.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:16:51 AM

After I ran the stop-stratumproxy.sh, start-stratumproxy.sh, stop-miner.sh and start-miner.sh scripts it started working. No idea what was wrong.

Welcome to BitFury.
benny32

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:49:07 AM

I have gone almost a month at 400+gh and now recently my reported speeds are more like 200-300 at the pool.  Reported rates on the unit itself are in the 300-350 range but they used to be almost 500.  I have applied heatsinks to the backs of the chips and voltage regulater area and this is a climate controlled room with cool air blowing over the cards.  This is the new version hardware as well.  I regularly have cards going to zero, I manually tune them as far as 49 and they work at low rates and another card goes to zero, always at least one card down, sometimes as many as three.  I am using a 1200w power supply as well so it's hard to believe it's because they aren't getting juice. 

Any thoughts?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:56:29 AM

I have gone almost a month at 400+gh and now recently my reported speeds are more like 200-300 at the pool.  Reported rates on the unit itself are in the 300-350 range but they used to be almost 500.  I have applied heatsinks to the backs of the chips and voltage regulater area and this is a climate controlled room with cool air blowing over the cards.  This is the new version hardware as well.  I regularly have cards going to zero, I manually tune them as far as 49 and they work at low rates and another card goes to zero, always at least one card down, sometimes as many as three.  I am using a 1200w power supply as well so it's hard to believe it's because they aren't getting juice. 

Any thoughts?

this is my experience as well along with several others.
Keefe

Activity: 681
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:11:24 AM

I have gone almost a month at 400+gh and now recently my reported speeds are more like 200-300 at the pool.  Reported rates on the unit itself are in the 300-350 range but they used to be almost 500.  I have applied heatsinks to the backs of the chips and voltage regulater area and this is a climate controlled room with cool air blowing over the cards.  This is the new version hardware as well.  I regularly have cards going to zero, I manually tune them as far as 49 and they work at low rates and another card goes to zero, always at least one card down, sometimes as many as three.  I am using a 1200w power supply as well so it's hard to believe it's because they aren't getting juice.  

Any thoughts?

If the pool is reporting significantly lower hashrate than the miner, restart the proxies and/or chainminer.

If cards are acting up even at low speeds, power off, reseat all cards, power back on. Alternatively, without powering off, you could just rock the cards side to side and front to back to loosen any oxidation on the contacts without fully pulling them out of the rig. Restart chainminer after this to re-init all chips.

Restart proxies and/or chainminer if all chips are reporting 0GH.

CCCrypto

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:32:25 AM

Do you put an 'X' of thermal paste on the back of heatsink, with glue at the four corners? I'd like to do this, but I'm finding conflicting advice online on how much paste to use, and how to apply it.
A small dab behind each chip, and superglue in between.

Sorry if I'm being annoying, but could someone explain how the dab of thermal paste doesn't short the chip connections on the back of the H-board?

I'm new to electrical engineering, and don't want to make a mistake.

EDIT: So far, this is the best explanation I've found. Could someone explain if it's correct? Thanks.

The thermal vias are all attached to the ground plane (I'm guessing it's ground) on the back of the board. Basically, they're all shorted together already.
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:38:31 AM

Any thermal paste with metal can be electrically capacitive, but are not conductive. This means while the thermal paste may hold a charge, it does not transfer a charge from one object to another. But their is always a chance of something going wrong if you just slather it on there.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:22:10 AM

Any thoughts?

bitfury changed the exact chip voltage a few times between batches. most batches have some extra headroom to pencil mod the voltages higher but there are a few batches that almost benefit from the opposite.

take a multimeter and check the voltage beween the top contact on the inductor and a GND terminal on the m-board. 0.8-0.88V is the ideal range if you have reasonable amount of heatsinks AND airflow. If its <0.8V, do a pencil mod. if its >0.88V, improve the cooling. add a small heatsink to the thermal vias of the regulator on the backside of the board. this chip does a lot of work and needs just as much cooling as the ASICs

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
BTClobsta

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:15:32 AM

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but can I put bfgminer or cgminer on the pi and use that instead of chainminer? From the bfgminer page, there is no support for the V3 M-board and I have not been able to get cgminer running. I can compile it with bitfury enabled, but when I start it up I get nothing.

i'm successfully running salfter's image of bfgminer from here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251966.msg4511347#msg4511347

just installed it yesterday and the great news is it seems to have solved my "reset" problems i described earlier.  that was my first priority in evaluating bfgminer.  i still need to fine tune them as the hashing rate is not optimal with a fair # of HW errors on some rigs but i'm very much encouraged.

Awesome. I wasn't sure about that one, but I will give it a try. Thanks for the help.

make sure you change the pool settings as they currently are pointed at his pool  Tongue

got it working guys. turns out that BTCGuild was having problems with the server kicking off the bitfury. btcguild fix that problems now.
benny32

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:38:06 PM

I have gone almost a month at 400+gh and now recently my reported speeds are more like 200-300 at the pool.  Reported rates on the unit itself are in the 300-350 range but they used to be almost 500.  I have applied heatsinks to the backs of the chips and voltage regulater area and this is a climate controlled room with cool air blowing over the cards.  This is the new version hardware as well.  I regularly have cards going to zero, I manually tune them as far as 49 and they work at low rates and another card goes to zero, always at least one card down, sometimes as many as three.  I am using a 1200w power supply as well so it's hard to believe it's because they aren't getting juice.  

Any thoughts?

bitfury changed the exact chip voltage a few times between batches. most batches have some extra headroom to pencil mod the voltages higher but there are a few batches that almost benefit from the opposite.

take a multimeter and check the voltage beween the top contact on the inductor and a GND terminal on the m-board. 0.8-0.88V is the ideal range if you have reasonable amount of heatsinks AND airflow. If its <0.8V, do a pencil mod. if its >0.88V, improve the cooling. add a small heatsink to the thermal vias of the regulator on the backside of the board. this chip does a lot of work and needs just as much cooling as the ASICs

I was under the impression that pencil mods were done on h-boards, not the m-board?  I do have heatsinks on every card, back of both chips and regulators as well so that should be covered.
daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:52:34 PM

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but can I put bfgminer or cgminer on the pi and use that instead of chainminer? From the bfgminer page, there is no support for the V3 M-board and I have not been able to get cgminer running. I can compile it with bitfury enabled, but when I start it up I get nothing.

just installed it yesterday and the great news is it seems to have solved my "reset" problems i described earlier.  that was my first priority in evaluating bfgminer.  i still need to fine tune them as the hashing rate is not optimal with a fair # of HW errors on some rigs but i'm very much encouraged.

So I got the new image installed and nothing comes up when I get into bfgminer. Is there some argument I am missing starting up bfgminer?
Keefe

Activity: 681
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:56:50 PM

Any thoughts?

I was under the impression that pencil mods were done on h-boards, not the m-board?  I do have heatsinks on every card, back of both chips and regulators as well so that should be covered.

The "pencil mod" is done on the H-cards. Most people are measuring voltage from the top of the inductor on the H-card to the GND screw on the M-board. IMO, it's much better to use the individual H-card's ground though, because there's a significant difference that increases the further the card is from the power connections on the M-board. Using the M-board's GND screw, you might get a measurement of 0.90v at the farthest card and 0.85v at the nearest, while the true voltage on the cards is 0.83v for both. The chips only care about the voltage difference between the power and ground planes on their own card, not the voltage rise on the ground bus across the M-board. A good ground point on an H-card is the exposed ground pad on the back side of the card, behind the regulator IC.

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:13:51 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2014, 03:32:06 AM by Swimmer63

I have a head scratcher and maybe you all have some ideas.
I just received an RMA v2 mboard to replace one that semi melted the pci-e sockets.  I have both screw terminals and pci-e plugs in now.  So hopefully that won't happen again.
I lined up all my h-boards in the same order I had them on the old m-board.  Started up and I some were working others were not.  Typical Bitfury fire drill.
So I proceeded to move around my boards. Let them go and come back and fiddle some more.
Then the miner just stops.  Can't connect to it or pull it up in the browser.  Pi is flashing red lights.
So I figure bad SD and get a new card, download v2 image change the card.  Same deal, flashing red.
So I pulled out a new pi I had sitting around and plugged that in.  Same deal, flashing red.
No idea what to do so I changed out my ethernet cable.  Shazam - the pi has green lights and I can see the Admin page in my browser.
Here is the problem.  I can't get it to mine now.  Since all this happened it will not mine.  I have changed the pool configuration, changed the ip address just for the heck of it, rebooted ten times and let it sit for an hour.
I see the "0GH/s" flash ever so slightly every 10 seconds or so like it does when it's mining.  But every card is at zero.  I have 14 cards and was doing about 450 Gh/s.
So if anyone can help I would appreciate it.  I don't know what else to try.
Thanks!

EDIT:  Here is what the chips look like.  But I don't know much about this page other than they are not working.  I also have 14 boards so this is not nearly enough chips.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:22:05 AM

So I got the new image installed and nothing comes up when I get into bfgminer. Is there some argument I am missing starting up bfgminer?

try

Code:
screen -dr bfgminer
daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:32:47 AM

I can actually run bfgminer, get the pool setup, and everything. After the pool is setup it doesn't show any devices present. Is there an argument I should put when I goto manage devices? I've got another SD card with chainminer, so the rig is still working.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:35:28 AM

I can actually run bfgminer, get the pool setup, and everything. After the pool is setup it doesn't show any devices present. Is there an argument I should put when I goto manage devices? I've got another SD card with chainminer, so the rig is still working.

did you change the pool settings in bfgminer.conf like i said to above?
daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:50:24 AM

When I started bfgminer it asked to setup the pools. I did sudo nano into the conf, after I updated bfgminer per the instructions in the post you referred to, but it's not the easiest thing to add my BTC address for eligius in the editor. I made my own conf file when I got bfgminer running. I take it I screwed something up by not using the original conf file?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:07:21 AM

When I started bfgminer it asked to setup the pools. I did sudo nano into the conf, after I updated bfgminer per the instructions in the post you referred to, but it's not the easiest thing to add my BTC address for eligius in the editor. I made my own conf file when I got bfgminer running. I take it I screwed something up by not using the original conf file?

you should log in as pi, not root.  then go to /home/pi/bfgminer.conf for pool config.

watch out cuz there's another in /home/pi/bfgminer/bfgminer.conf.

your BTC address goes into the pool settings at the pool, not here in your local bfgminer.
daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:14:08 AM

you should log in as pi, not root.  then go to /home/pi/bfgminer.conf for pool config.

watch out cuz there's another in /home/pi/bfgminer/bfgminer.conf.

your BTC address goes into the pool settings at the pool, not here in your local bfgminer.

I did login as pi. I went to the bfgminer directory and not the conf file in /home/pi. So I will try that when I get back home Friday. Thanks for the help man.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: