Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586120 times)
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 12:56:54 PM

thanks guys,

so as for my queries, is this going to effect the way I transact now as well as transact from my cold storage, I really do not want to mess around with different change addresses, I just do not want to know about it and I want to use the same address as I do now. I also want to keep 1 Cold Storage backup and not keep changing my backup every single time I make a simple transaction from it.
In that case, after the 2.0 upgrade, you should just keep using your existing (legacy accounts) and cold storage spending.
Sorry, but I don't understand it, could you make it a bit clear. Thanks

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:27:01 PM

thanks guys,

so as for my queries, is this going to effect the way I transact now as well as transact from my cold storage, I really do not want to mess around with different change addresses, I just do not want to know about it and I want to use the same address as I do now. I also want to keep 1 Cold Storage backup and not keep changing my backup every single time I make a simple transaction from it.
In that case, after the 2.0 upgrade, you should just keep using your existing (legacy accounts) and cold storage spending.

With the current version of Mycelium you can go to the Keys tab and see the addresses you are working on. Some of those addresses have a key associated with them, they are the ones you can spend from. The ones without a key are so called read-only addresses, you can monitor them but not spend from them.

With Mycelium 2.0 the Keys tab is renamed to Accounts. All your existing keys/addresses are now called accounts and work like before. Those are the ones I call legacy accounts.

In addition you will have one or more Hierarchal Deterministic  (HD) accounts following the BIP32/BIP44 standard. An HD account is one that automatically generates new addresses as you use the wallet for sending and receiving. This means that you get much more anonymous (today anyone who knows your Mycelium bitcoin address can see all transactions associated with it).
Furthermore, because we now have BIP32 support this means that one backup of one secret is enough to generate all the private keys/addresses you will ever need for all the HD accounts you will ever need. Everything can be deterministically generated from one secret. The backup mechanism we use follows the BIP39 standard, and basically involves that you write down 12 random words on paper.

As a user you will not have to worry about all of those addresses, they are managed internally.

Today Mycelium lets you monitor 20 separate bitcoin addresses. For some of those addresses you also have a key (the default), which lets you spend from them

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 01:36:52 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2014, 02:07:25 PM by gtraah

thanks guys,

With the current version of Mycelium you can go to the Keys tab and see the addresses you are working on. Some of those addresses have a key associated with them, they are the ones you can spend from. The ones without a key are so called read-only addresses, you can monitor them but not spend from them.

With Mycelium 2.0 the Keys tab is renamed to Accounts. All your existing keys/addresses are now called accounts and work like before. Those are the ones I call legacy accounts.

In addition you will have one or more Hierarchal Deterministic  (HD) accounts following the BIP32/BIP44 standard. An HD account is one that automatically generates new addresses as you use the wallet for sending and receiving. This means that you get much more anonymous (today anyone who knows your Mycelium bitcoin address can see all transactions associated with it).
Furthermore, because we now have BIP32 support this means that one backup of one secret is enough to generate all the private keys/addresses you will ever need for all the HD accounts you will ever need. Everything can be deterministically generated from one secret. The backup mechanism we use follows the BIP39 standard, and basically involves that you write down 12 random words on paper.

As a user you will not have to worry about all of those addresses, they are managed internally.

Today Mycelium lets you monitor 20 separate bitcoin addresses. For some of those addresses you also have a key (the default), which lets you spend from them

Great So what your saying is the old way will not disappear, I will be able to choose ?
Lets just say I want to make a new account can I make it like a legacy ? And how will I be able to make another legacy type account with Mycelium 2.0, I assume there are options for this? Or are you saying that ANY new account created from M-2.0 will be HD and will transact in the NEW style?
If this is the case does this mean I will never be able to make another legacy account with M-2.0 other than my old account from previous  version of mycelium meaning I will have to make it outside of M-2.0 and then import it? Thanks for clarification

I mean who knows when I feel comfortable I may jump to HD, but its still great to have a choice.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:15:16 PM

In addition you will have one or more Hierarchal Deterministic  (HD) accounts following the BIP32/BIP44 standard. An HD account is one that automatically generates new addresses as you use the wallet for sending and receiving. This means that you get much more anonymous (today anyone who knows your Mycelium bitcoin address can see all transactions associated with it).

Great So what your saying is the old way will not disappear, I will be able to choose ?
Lets just say I want to make a new account can I make it like a legacy ? And how will I be able to make another legacy type account with Mycelium 2.0, I assume there are options for this? Or are you saying that ANY new account created from M-2.0 will be HD and will transact in the NEW style?
If this is the case does this mean I will never be able to make another legacy account with M-2.0 other than my old account from previous  version of mycelium meaning I will have to make it outside of M-2.0 and then import it? Thanks for clarification

I mean who knows when I feel comfortable I may jump to HD, but its still great to have a choice.
Correct, you have a choice.
But, the wallet will no longer let you create new random legacy accounts (create a new random key), you can however import a private key that you have made elsewhere by selecting Advanced when creating a new account. In that scenario we expect the user to know what he does and that he has the private key stored safely outside the wallet. It will not be part of the HD account backup.

We really wish our users to be safe and not loose funds because they sent funds to a key that they cannot recover.

You should really try it out. Everything is available for the testnet, where you can play around with worthless testnet coins: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.testnetwallet
Once you have it installed you can get free testnet coins by "buying" them  (for free) from Virtual Trader when you click Buy / Sell Bitcoins

gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 02:19:11 PM

great I now understand it all, If I want to use the old way, simply goto bitcoinaddress.org create a standard address make a backup , then import it into mycelium AWESOME.

AHHH so this is how i get test coins I was wondering how to get these coins as I do have the testnet installed on my s5

------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way the NFC chip offline signing is an awesome idea, you may like to check this out

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=610453.0
KLmoney

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 03:54:14 PM

I realise that one of the “philosophies” behind the Mycelium 2.0 wallet is to take users away from managing addresses. The UI as it stands basically requires users to use receiving addresses in sequence as they are offered up.

However, with the availability of BIP32/39/44 key/address generators, it is easy to generate forward addresses online/offline using our 12 word mnemonic code with or without password. For a particular Account, a user might want to generate receiving addresses, say, 1 to 10 and give them out to one party who is going to make regular payments to him. I have tried simulating something like this with the testnet version and everything seems fine.

1) Are there any issues with using 2.0 in this way?
2) Could future versions of Mycelium offer the option to generate forward addresses within the application?
3) How far out in a chain, over unused addresses, does 2.0 scan to look for funds?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:02:10 PM

I realise that one of the “philosophies” behind the Mycelium 2.0 wallet is to take users away from managing addresses. The UI as it stands basically requires users to use receiving addresses in sequence as they are offered up.

However, with the availability of BIP32/39/44 key/address generators, it is easy to generate forward addresses online/offline using our 12 word mnemonic code with or without password. For a particular Account, a user might want to generate receiving addresses, say, 1 to 10 and give them out to one party who is going to make regular payments to him. I have tried simulating something like this with the testnet version and everything seems fine.

1) Are there any issues with using 2.0 in this way?
2) Could future versions of Mycelium offer the option to generate forward addresses within the application?
3) How far out in a chain, over unused addresses, does 2.0 scan to look for funds?

1. No issues. This is perfectly fine.
2. Yes
3. We scan 20 address ahead on the external chain to comply with account lookahead discovery as dictated by BIP44

KLmoney

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:05:07 PM

Thanks for your reply Jan.
anarchoatheist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 08:56:00 PM

thanks guys,

Trust me, you are definitely gonna want to switch to the HD wallet once you get used to it. It is comparable to using an old rotary telephone, when a Samsung galaxy note 4 is available for you to use.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 06:02:22 AM

This question is sort of off topic as I don't think the problem is with Mycelium, but maybe you can offer some insight.

If I scan a bitcoin address from Mycelium using QtQR (a QR code reader / generator for Linux) I get as expected for example:
bitcoin:1KYk5DezaCQKui6RrqLPhBqS6PdSAgRpeB

If I have QtQR encoding the exact same string (as "text") and scan from Mycelium, I get an error "Unrecognized format". The codes also differ visually, but that could be due to different error correction.

Or is there something else that needs to be added (uri=)?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:29:47 AM

I remember we had some errors with tools putting byte order marks into strings when generating QR codes, could be something like that. (Though the case where we got to know about it, we made sure to read those anyway.) There is nothing wrong with the address, if I turn that into a QR code with Wolfram Alpha, I can perfectly scan it with mycelium. Could you maybe provide the QR code which causes the error (link, or send to developers@mycelium.com)?
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:27:06 AM

[...] Could you maybe provide the QR code which causes the error (link, or send to developers@mycelium.com)?

Sure, should have thought of that :-/

Output from QtQR that does not work:

http://i59.tinypic.com/72ftzr.png

This is what it looks like in Mycelium:

http://i59.tinypic.com/111p0yv.png

When I scan these with the Barcode Scanner app, they both return the same string. The upper has low error correction and the Mycelium one has medium error correction, but other than that I can not spot a difference.

As far as I can tell QtQR uses this to encode: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~david4dev/qr-code-creator/trunk/view/head:/qr.py

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:26:49 AM

Yes, the QtQR code includes a zero-width non-breaking space as first character, I made a fix to remove this character from scan results if necessary.
It works now for me, and will work for you with the next release as well Smiley
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:56:15 AM

Yes, the QtQR code includes a zero-width non-breaking space as first character, I made a fix to remove this character from scan results if necessary.

Great! Thank you!

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:33:01 PM

Sounds like the generated QR code is slightly non-spec-compliant. It should contain only the URL characters, not invisible spaces or other weird stuff.
Of course, handling off-spec data robustly is good, but you can only work around so many errors...

Onkel Paul

msx

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:29:45 PM

Some text editors (notably, Notepad under Windows, but I guess Linux might have that kind of thing too) insert BOM characters into text files to indicate that the content is in unicode, type of unicode encoding, byte order etc.

I imagine it can be entirely possible that it was not QtQR who inserted that BOM (zero-width space).

I wouldn't include a fix for that.  What if next thing someone types a URI in MS Word?
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 07:55:59 PM

Mycelium 2.0 RC1 has been pushed to the play store for everyone in the beta channel, and will be available for upgrade in an hour or two.
Please give us feedback over the next week so we can improve before the global launch.

New Features
 - Support for BIP32/BIP44 compliant HD accounts based on a single master seed
 - Setter security through one-time wordlist-backup (BIP39)
 - Better anonymity, no more address reuse
 - Ability to label transactions
 - Create transactions with poor or no internet connectivity for later broadcasting
 - No more restrictions to the number of watch only addresses

More info here https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JanM%C3%B8ller/posts/bF7yhyDHTfW

P.S. To be eligible for testing you need to join the g+ group at https://plus.google.com/communities/102264813364583686576  After joining, you need to explicitly enable beta versions for the software at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.mycelium.wallet
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 08:40:58 PM

Your post just made my day...  Grin
Ruckus42

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:26:53 AM

Problem:

I'm trying to send 0.00619512 BTC. I have 0.28831103 BTC. Mycelium tells me I have "insufficient funds."  Huh
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 05:05:17 AM

Problem:

I'm trying to send 0.00619512 BTC. I have 0.28831103 BTC. Mycelium tells me I have "insufficient funds."  Huh

Make sure the funds have more than 0 confirmations (swipe to the right and check that the topmost transaction has some confirmations), and that you are not spending from a watch only address.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: