Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 06:21:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 [348] 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 ... 508 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread [Self-Moderated]  (Read 771097 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:47:49 PM

When you didn't have functioning chips in October as originally forecast,
Source?

This isn't "months and months of no show". We were supposed to start getting chips (low volume production?) at the end of November. It has been less than 1.5 months since then

We were supposed to be in full production in end of Nov (before first delay).
Source?
stenkross

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:51:03 PM

Source?

This thread, around mid-nov.
somestranger

Activity: 487

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Show me. I bet you can't.
stenkross

Activity: 330

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:53:27 PM

Show me. I bet you can't.

Bet all you want, it's here if Ken has not removed those posts.
Vigil

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:57:58 PM

I don't get it. Sure, you might be a little late. But months and months of no show or nonfunctional product?
This isn't "months and months of no show". We were supposed to start getting chips (low volume production?) at the end of November. It has been less than 1.5 months since then and Ken implied that full production of the Intellihash(tm) chip has started or is starting soon based on his weekly update from Christmas.
I'm not just talking about ActM, I am talking about all the ASIC ventures. There have been so many that just failed to materialize when we are really building glorified microcontroller boards that you see on the DIY projects at on MakerMagazine. These aren't Ati GPUs or Asus Motherboards or anything.
Vigil

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:00:17 PM

Assuming the production schedule started on Sep. 5th (the press release day) we are right at the beginning of week 18. It was 16-18 weeks till full production. I don't know how much of the orders were to be fulfilled by the low volume production but we haven't even passed the full-scale production timeline yet. Obviously, the Oct/Nov delivery estimate was for whatever orders were filled by the sample chips and low volume production. If there were sample chips delivered and protoboards then it is possible that some of the early buyers (maybe those involved int eh project and ken) have something hashing.
Vigil

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:23:40 PM

High power and high clock rate boards in volume isn't easy.

Sure you can build a microcontroller at home and get the hardware and firmware debugged in a month or 2 of tinkering, but delivering in volume is a different kettle of fish.

This whole market has moved from a hobby to serious engineering enterprises in 9 months.  Lots of folks are going to fall as the stakes increase over the next year.

Ken has missed his window.  It was at best 2-3 months wide to begin with.
We are basically going to have 3 ASIC manufacturers. How much faster can the technology get though? Aren't we coming to a roadblock?
Bargraphics

Activity: 518

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:42:16 PM

High power and high clock rate boards in volume isn't easy.

Sure you can build a microcontroller at home and get the hardware and firmware debugged in a month or 2 of tinkering, but delivering in volume is a different kettle of fish.

This whole market has moved from a hobby to serious engineering enterprises in 9 months.  Lots of folks are going to fall as the stakes increase over the next year.

Ken has missed his window.  It was at best 2-3 months wide to begin with.
We are basically going to have 3 ASIC manufacturers. How much faster can the technology get though? Aren't we coming to a roadblock?

There are still 2 process nodes - 22/20 nm and 14 nm to go.  On top of that there is room for design optimizations.  How much can actually be squeezed out is tough to say with any accuracy.

There are a lot more than 3 suppliers already.  Let me list

With known functional hardware:

ASICMINER
Avalon
BFL
Bitfury
KNC
AMT

Shipping this month (high confidence, and proof shown)
Hashfast
CoinTerra

Expected soon:
Bitmine.ch
Black Arrow
Activemining (?)

Rumored
21e6

I expect there are other groups running development projects targeting 20 or 14 nm nodes in stealth mode funded by VC dollars.

I also wouldn't rule out AMD offering a hashing engine for license at 14 nm.  The market is getting that large.

AMT is using bitfury chips and is going to be using bitmine.ch's chips
Bitmine.ch has proof of chips - http://bitmine.ch/?p=4543
You forgot Bitmain's AntMiner's are currently shipping.
mannybitcoins

Activity: 274
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:46:26 PM

Guys, Ken isn't dumb. He obviously has miners ready to go but will be using them to mine Coinye West coins instead. TO THE MOON!!!!
Subcide

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:45:20 PM

Now that bitmine.ch blog post is what our updates SHOULD be.  Ah well.  Sit and wait for wednesday's "Soon" update.
shadallion

Activity: 304
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:07:30 AM

Perfectly willing for Ken to stop all other core business activities for a day if he would just list all the shares on Crypto-Trade so that the doubting Thomases can all divest. 
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:11:22 AM

Post up Ken or bring umbrellas for us shareholders, it's a troll bukkake fest in here.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
wasubii

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:46:15 AM

I thought i would just pop my head back up over the parapet to try and steer this back on topic. it would be great if some of the thinkers in this thread could weigh in on this:

If we do not get hashing soon, there will become a point where we will not be able to keep up with difficulty increases.

We will have a fixed capacity for production in the short term, and we will also run into efficiency issues with our 20GH/s chips in that heat, power, physical space for thousands of small, low power chips will be a lot more costly and difficult to manage than the same hash rate of powerful chips (like Cointerrra's 500GH/s Goldstrike chip).

I base this particularly on the very recent example of ASICminer, who at one time had 40% of global hash rate due to being quick to market with their small, inefficient ASICs. Despite the huge amount of BTC rolling in during this period, they faced issues over supplying power to so many boards, cooling so many boards and actually the physical space needed for so many boards. Now they don't even show on the pie chart of hashing distributions. So quick and so fast their fall from grace has been.

This is because efficiency of ASIC mining is not ONLY about power consumption of chips.

It is about efficiency of deployment

There are two ways i can see ActM will fail to keep up with the global hash rate.

1) We begin mining but we do not mine enough coins to pay for the equipment we need to keep up with the difficulty increases.

2) We begin mining and make enough coin, but our production capacity is too small to keep up with the difficulty increases (this will happen eventually if we do not expand capacity, but the way things are going it may kill us before we even begin)

BTC ASIC companies that have failed to deliver on time (BFL, Hashfast, Cointerra etc etc) are usually the ones who do the assembly themselves.

Contrast that with KnC or ASICminer (in the early days) who asked one company to design and produce the chip, and another company to assemble the chips onto boards. They were on time because they dealt with reputable partners with proven track records and lots of experience. They were left to orchestrate and market their products while the nitty gritty of production was left to professionals.

What worries me with ActM is that we have a very small family team of non-engineers that are presumably going to assemble 'The biggest BTC mine on the planet' from their 5 benches in a garage (I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out facts - please correct me if I'm wrong)

So my question to you all is, at what point are we too late? At what point are our piddly little 20GH/s chips as useful as ASICminers old 0.3Gh/s chips?

Remember, AM could have continued pumping out millions of tiny hash rate chips but they ran into huge problems in their efficiency of deployment

I welcome any sensible comments. I would love to hear your estimates on how many 25GH/s platinum modules could be made in one month based on our own assembly (assume the chips roll in with no problem).
kleeck

Activity: 532

https://karatcoin.co

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:54:48 AM

I thought i would just pop my head back up over the parapet to try and steer this back on topic. it would be great if some of the thinkers in this thread could weigh in on this:

If we do not get hashing soon, there will become a point where we will not be able to keep up with difficulty increases.

We will have a fixed capacity for production in the short term, and we will also run into efficiency issues with our 20GH/s chips in that heat, power, physical space for thousands of small, low power chips will be a lot more costly and difficult to manage than the same hash rate of powerful chips (like Cointerrra's 500GH/s Goldstrike chip).

Let us not forget the very recent example of ASICminer, who at one time had 40% of global hash rate due to being quick to market with their small, inefficient ASICs. Despite the huge amount of BTC rolling in during this period, they faced issues over supplying power to so many boards, cooling so many boards and actually the physical space needed for so many boards. Now they don't even show on the pie chart of hashing distributions. So quick and so fast has been their fall from grace.

This is because efficiency of ASIC chips is not ONLY about power consumption.

It is about efficiency of deployment

There are two ways i can see ActM will fail to keep up with the global hash rate.

1) We begin mining but we do not mine enough coins to pay for the equipment we need to keep up with the difficulty increases.

2) We begin mining and make enough coin, but our production capacity is too small to keep up with the difficulty increases (this will happen eventually, but the way things are going it may kill us before we even begin)

BTC ASIC companies that have failed to deliver on time (BFL, Hashfast, Cointerra etc etc) are usually the ones who do the assembly themselves.

Contrast that with KnC or ASICminer (in the early days) who asked one company to design and produce the chip, and another company to assemble the chips onto boards. They were on time because they dealt with reputable partners with proven track records and lots of experience.

What worries me with ActM is that we have a very small family team of non-engineers that are presumably going to assemble 'The biggest BTC mine on the planet' from their 5 benches in a garage (I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out facts - please correct me if I'm wrong)

So my question to you all is, at what point are we too late? At what point are our piddly little 20GH/s chips as useful as ASICminers old 0.3Gh/s chips?

Remember, AM could have continued pumping out millions of tiny hash rate chips but they ran into huge problems in their efficiency of deployment

I welcome any sensible comments

I appreciate your effort to steer this thread in the proper direction. I believe your concerns are appropriate. Much of the future of ActM lies in the efficiency and power of the Intellihash chips along with a properly architected reinvestment strategy. The later is probably the most important, in terms of the AMC Mining Operation.

This does not appear to be the case at all. The assembly area is not for engineering boards or even placing chips on boards. The board development and the pick and place process are being handled by a third party engineering firm that has been spoken highly of. I'll try to track down the name. Ken specifically told me that the pick and place process would be handled outsourced to the engineering firm. It would seem that what the assembly area is actually doing is placing pre-made/placed boards into the cases, firing them up, burning them in, boxing them and shipping them out.

I'll think about assembly time/volume for enough Platinums to compete. I think we're mostly limited by money in this regard though. It all comes down to the reinvestment strategy.

I agree with the heart of your post: "We need to be hashing."

█ █████       ▄████▀▄██▀
  █ █████     ▄████▀███▀
  █ █████    ████▀███▀
  █ █████  ▄███▀███▓
  █ █████▄███▀████▀
  █ ███████▀████▀
  █ █████▀▄█████▄
  █ ███▀▄█████████▄
  █ █▀▄██ ▀█████████▄
  █ ▄████   ▀███████▀█▄   
  █ █████     ▀███▀▄████▄
  █ █████       ▀▄████████▄

█████                   
                ▄███  █  ███▄               
             ███      █      ███             
         ▄███         █         ███▄         
       ██    ███████████████████    ██       
    ████            ██ ██            ████   
    ██             █     █             ██   
    █ █           █       █           █ █   
    █ ██         █         █         ██ █   
    █  ██      ██           ██      ██  █   
    █   ██    ██             ██    ██   █   
    █    ██  ██               ██  ██    █   
    █     █ ██                 ██ █     █   
    █     █████████████████████████     █   
    █  ███  ██                 ██  ███  █   
    ███       █               █       ███   
      ███      ██           ██      ███     
         ███     █         █     ███         
            ▀███  ██     ██  ███▀           
                ▀████   ████▀               
▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
wasubii

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:08:49 AM

-snip-

I welcome any sensible comments

I appreciate your effort to steer this thread in the proper direction. I believe your concerns are appropriate. Much of the future of ActM lies in the efficiency and power of the Intellihash chips along with a properly architected reinvestment strategy. The later is probably the most important, in terms of the AMC Mining Operation.

This does not appear to be the case at all. The assembly area is not for engineering boards or even placing chips on boards. The board development and the pick and place process are being handled by a third party engineering firm that has been spoken highly of. I'll try to track down the name. Ken specifically told me that the pick and place process would be handled outsourced to the engineering firm. It would seem that what the assembly area is actually doing is placing pre-made/placed boards into the cases, firing them up, burning them in, boxing them and shipping them out.

I'll think about assembly time/volume for enough Platinums to compete. I think we're mostly limited by money in this regard though. It all comes down to the reinvestment strategy.

I agree with the heart of your post: "We need to be hashing."

Good to hear from you again Kleeck

Thanks for pointing out the pick and place will be outsourced (as it surely must be, being a highly mechanised process). But i was actually talking about the assembly of the individual PCI modules. Surely they need to be paired with fans at the very least, then tested before they can go into the cases. Or will the pick and place company deliver us a final finished PCI module ready to slot in?

That is why i was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could estimate how long it would take to assemble each PCI module before it gets assembled into the larger cases?

If we are being delivered a finished PCI product ready to slot in then i agree, it will come down to the money we need to buy components and the lead times for chips and finished PCI boards.
Vigil

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:46:02 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 04:00:35 AM by Vigil

This is why I was trying to contact StilWell Baker... to see if they are involved in the board assembly at all. Ken isn't going to have his family flowing eASIC BGA onto the boards. or soldering transistors and resistors. They are just going to plug stuff in and use electric drills.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:13:45 AM

This is why I was trying to contact StilWell Baker... to see if they are involved in the board assembly at all. Ken isn't going to have his family flowing eASIC BGA onto the boards. or soldering transistors and resistors. They are just going to plug stuff in and use electric drills.

Well if we are using StilWell Baker that is very cool, I would expect them to be able to handle everything except building the ASIC. If we are using StilWell Baker they could easily manufacture the entire card and deliver it to Ken as a product.
Vigil

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:28:06 AM

Well if we are using StilWell Baker that is very cool, I would expect them to be able to handle everything except building the ASIC. If we are using StilWell Baker they could easily manufacture the entire card and deliver it to Ken as a product.

That is what I was thinking but I haven't heard back from them yet. Maybe we could try calling or contacting Ted or whatever his name is.
wasubii

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:26:16 AM

I hope our chip delays haven't messed up our position in the StilWell production queue
CanadianGuy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:56:01 AM

I hope our chip delays haven't messed up our position in the StilWell production queue

You have absolutely NOTHING to worry about.  Everything will be on schedule.
Pages: « 1 ... 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 [348] 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 ... 508 »
  Print  

Jump to: