Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:09:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is owning bitcoin a crime?  (Read 1971 times)
bit..what?

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:26:40 PM

nope. in my land is bitcoin holding not a crime and it does not look like it will ever happen.

✦ BCB ATM ✦
The Bitcoin ATM Network ₿ Bringing Digital Currencies to Local High Streets!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
heryalfian1981

Activity: 129
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 07:46:29 PM

Having Bicoin is not a crime because having Bitcoin is the same as having money, bitcoin does no harm to anyone, if bitcoin is used for trade and investment in a legitimate place, but there are some countries that prohibit using bitcoin as a medium of exchange and do not forbid trading.
CAPTEZECC

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:49:15 PM

I don't see any crime in owning bitcoin unless you stole it.
melliana

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:55:10 PM

As a bitcoin user I just use technology, make use of available technology. As long as it does not break the rules and is not used for negative things, I think having bitcoin is not a crime
tonylewisverdu

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:59:15 PM

no its not.. why should it be a crime?.
lillyann

Activity: 308
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 08:05:02 PM

The question in which country. Not all accept BTC. This is the problem. Self-possession is not a crime. The question is, what do you forget about BTC is bought?
LuffyD.Monkey

Activity: 336
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:52:25 AM

Possesses bitcoin as well as holding a gun  Huh Smiley Huh
http://bitcoinnews.com/cryptocurrencies-gun-crime-canada/

Holding or owning bitcoin is not a crime but if your country has declared it illegal and does not support bitcoins, then it can be a trouble for you if they detect you posses bitcoins. Although you can save bitcoin on wallets and exchanges, yet you need to be careful not  to convert them to fiat in a illegally declared bitcoin country.
It really depends on country to country. Like some Asian countries, they have banned bitcoins at any cost. They never let any citizen to use bitcoins because they are totally decentralized and there would be no tax paying on any transaction you made from them. Hence governments are taking it as a crime and whosoever will be found guilty, will be harmed and sentenced as per law.
fritzbird

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:22:44 PM

I think generally it's not a crime, it's not like drugs wherein caught
possessing one simply implies the premise of an illegal activity.
This is another example of misconception with bitcoins, Bitcoin may
be used by criminals or illegal transactions but that doesn't entirely
place it the same shoes as criminals. I think it's a loophole that
authorities are looking into, that's why I believe regulation is an
inevitable possibility with cryptocurrency.
bitcoinman93

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:24:47 PM

in some countries like China it could be indeed considered as crime. However in wide majority of states it's not the problem at all, while in some countries it perfectly legal
todiefor17

Activity: 344
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:28:55 PM

This is a ridiculous thing in this life. We buy and hold bitcoin to make more profit. Bitcoin investment is just like entering the stock market. If the stock is accepted then I think bitcoin should also be accepted

Beabtc11

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:42:47 PM

It could be regulated or unregulated but not illegal so far anywhere in the world unless the question comes to use it for mode of payment. Another aspect is paying tax on earnings either it's regulated or not.

Definitely Yes! Legal or illegal is bitcoin it doesn't mean the holding it is a crime. No as of now. It is not a crime to hold bitcoin. Government has formed a committee recently and is waiting for their report. Further, action will be taken post studying the report.

But please do remember that income tax authorities may ask the source of income which is used to buy the bitcoins. Otherwise, it is perfectly not illegal to hold bitcoins.
boksoon

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:02:49 PM

Owning of Bitcoin is not a crime, I hope you guys you contented the answer and any suggestion for those who attract your question here, and I know that all thread they are making here your question is an extra ordinary than the other question because people know that since from the start Bitcoin will helpful and useful actually until it will become almost 9 years in history how did you get your positive question? as far as you know.
MS.LAWLIET

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:12:29 PM

i don't think so. earning bitcoin is better than doing a crime to have money. it helps us on our everyday life and most of the country already accept bitcoin so we can't say that it is a crime. there is no bad on earning money to support ourselves and our family. maybe it is just on some country who declared bitcoin as illegal.
Rosilito

Activity: 658
Merit: 274

Wish for the rain? Then deal with the mud too.

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:17:07 PM

No, and why would it be. If holding bitcoin would be a crime then holding money would also be a crime since, bitcoin functions as a money as a money also. Their only difference is just bitcoin runs through technology while money runs physically.
Gumpfire

Activity: 378
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:23:04 PM

Possesses bitcoin as well as holding a gun  Huh Smiley Huh
In my own personal opinion, holding a bitcoin is not like holding a gun because if it does there are no any countries starting to make bitcoin legal and many people would be afraid. Bitcoin is a good influence to everyone so we cannot relate bitcoin in any bad activities because it is all rumors that bitcoin is just a scam or a crime.
rahul10948

Activity: 378
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:32:01 PM

The correct answer for this is different from county to county....some people accept it and for other it's a serious crine and lead to even jail...like we heard from the Bangladesh government.....there are many more county you see buying Bitcoin as a offend....as in India....not just policies are working...it's fine here
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:35:47 PM

Possessing bitcoin is not a crime except if the certain country that you are in have banned the use of bitcoin in your area with corresponding penalty. But without those actions by the government you cannot be considered a criminal except if you use bitcoin in illicit ways which is against the law. As long as you use your bitcoin within the bounds of the law then you are not a criminal.
dodz031718

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:36:52 PM

I don't believe that owning bitcoin is a crime but somehow in other country that there government do not allow bitcoin it will become a crime.I think it depends on a person on how do they used their bitcoin but for some people want to earn money that's why they will invest to bitcoin.
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:41:04 PM

Hi,

This may be true in some countries... With very specific regulations...

But as far as I know, owning bitcoin cannot be illegal. Just because you can digitally own almost everything. Bitcoin is a currency, and laws about currencies are quite open, allowing any community to create its own currency.

So definitely, no, owning bitcoin cannot be a crime.

However, some government may wish to regulate the earnings you make through bitcoin. And for that, they may try to make some platforms illegal or unreachable from a defined country (so useless) or may ask national banks to refuse transfer to cryptos. This won't prevent people from using bitcoin but it wil make such use harder.

The aim, in the end, is to avoid people making most of their eanrings through cryptos and paying no tax. For the moment, though, the number of people concerned is so low... I guess this is not a priority regulation!

trader34

Activity: 434
Merit: 38

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 02:45:33 PM

In almost all countries in the world owning bitcoin it's not a crime. Obviously, it's not considered a legal tender but possession is not prohibited by law.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: