Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:43:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][TAG] TAGMining.Com is now the official pool of Tagcoin!  (Read 45613 times)
johndec2

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:25:32 AM

Fuck this for a joke... Pool is hashing at nearly 400Mh/s, busts it gut for over an hour and a half only to find another fucking orphan... (Block 28546).  Sorry Fuse, not having a go at you, it's not your fault, just venting my frustrations.  If Mark doesn't pull his finger out and fix this problem, I'm moving on and that's a big thing for me to say as I've been mining TAG since day 1 as you know.

Didn't post this on the main thread for obvious reasons.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
24Kilo

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:40:35 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 07:56:24 AM by 24Kilo

Fuck this for a joke... Pool is hashing at nearly 400Mh/s, busts it gut for over an hour and a half only to find another fucking orphan... (Block 28546).  Sorry Fuse, not having a go at you, it's not your fault, just venting my frustrations.  If Mark doesn't pull his finger out and fix this problem, I'm moving on and that's a big thing for me to say as I've been mining TAG since day 1 as you know.

John,

I agree wholeheartedly... with an orphan rate of nearly 33%... just check the 24hr stats - 61 blocks found - 43 valid - 18 orphans... TAG is no longer a profitable coin to mine for me... and as everyone here knows I am a big TAG fan and been mining since the beginning as well... Mark and the team must address this... it is vital for the long-term usefulness of the coin... and if Mark does not know how to remedy this problem... then the coin faces a real long-term confidence issue.

Fuse is in no way implicated in this fiasco... he has set a gold standard for pool admins... and he has to be extremely frustrated to see this happening after all the hard work, energy and real money he has invested in this pool.

I have moved on... I am mining EarthCoin... the other coin that I believe has real potential and usefulness... now and in the future... and it is reasonably profitable to mine... at least until it starts getting hit with multi-pools.

Fuse... you know I will support any pools that you choose to open to counter your losses from TAG.

EDIT - Another orphan - #28256 - that makes two in a row.
johndec2

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:53:44 AM

Make that 2 orphans in a row, another hour wasted.  Angry  I'd go and mine DOGE except I've already got over a million of them that are worth sweet FA.  Might go join 24kilo over at the EAC ranch!
johndec2

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:35:51 AM

OK. To quote myself.  Cheesy  Spent a few hours testing both the 270X and the 270. One common thing I've discovered is that neither will hold 1500 memory speed (for me) for more than about 1/2 an hour.  I've found that the sweet spot for both cards is around 1120/1475.  The 270X will crank all day at about 483kh/s with a dummy plug attached and about 468kh/s if it is doing double duty as the card connected to the monitor.  Similarly the vanilla 270 will do about 478kh/s and 463kh/s if it is attached to the monitor. 

So there you have it.  In my opinion the 270X is a 5kh/s better card.  Is 5kh/s worth the extra money?

PS: All testing done at TC 24000, I 20.

Fuse.  Have you considered the non "x" version of the 270.  See my post earlier on this page.  It should be easier to get than it's "x" rated brother.  Tongue  I've had one running for 24 hours happily at 469-473 kh/s (expect for an hour or so when the bride unplugged it to using the power point to vacuum the room - I kid you not... Came home and wondered why the miner was down... Sheesh!

As I said in the earlier post, I think they are good for ~ 480kh/s if not also powering a display. In fact, I'll yank the 270x out of the other miner and put them together and report back with a back to back test. 
24Kilo

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:39:39 AM

The 270X will crank all day at about 483kh/s with a dummy plug attached and about 468kh/s if it is doing double duty as the card connected to the monitor.  Similarly the vanilla 270 will do about 478kh/s and 463kh/s if it is attached to the monitor.

Is the dummy plug(hot-plug) necessary for the 270X... the 270???

All my 280X's run without a hot-plugs just fine.. or at least I think so... maybe if I used hot-plugs I would get better hash-rates.

Me thinks my next rig is a 3x270...
johndec2

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:11:37 AM

As far as I'm aware, you need dummy plugs with Windows.  Linux doesn't require them. However there appears to be no hashrate penalty in using them but when a card is connected to a live monitor, there is a price to pay, which I never really realised until tonight.  That would explain why I have 2 x 7950s that are identical but one runs a bit faster than the other as one is connected to the monitor and the other one has a dummy plug.
24Kilo

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:46:18 AM

As far as I'm aware, you need dummy plugs with Windows.  Linux doesn't require them. However there appears to be no hashrate penalty in using them but when a card is connected to a live monitor, there is a price to pay, which I never really realised until tonight.  That would explain why I have 2 x 7950s that are identical but one runs a bit faster than the other as one is connected to the monitor and the other one has a dummy plug.

All my rigs run Windows... I don't own a dummy plug... my mining rigs must not know about this... so don't tell them.

All my rigs run without a monitor, keyboard or mouse plugged in after I get them running and stable.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:12:48 PM

I want to try 270's, but they're as scarce for me as the X's lol. I have a feeling Amazon will get some in today.. fingers crossed.

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:42:46 PM

Fuse.  Have you considered the non "x" version of the 270.  See my post earlier on this page.  It should be easier to get than it's "x" rated brother.  Tongue  I've had one running for 24 hours happily at 469-473 kh/s (expect for an hour or so when the bride unplugged it to using the power point to vacuum the room - I kid you not... Came home and wondered why the miner was down... Sheesh!

Actually, the non-x card is the next 6-9 that I will be purchasing.  I'm just trying to go Amazon to be able to use BTC via Gyft.  If I don't pull the trigger on those today, I'll be piece-mealing a bunch of 270Xs.

Fuck this for a joke... Pool is hashing at nearly 400Mh/s, busts it gut for over an hour and a half only to find another fucking orphan... (Block 28546).  Sorry Fuse, not having a go at you, it's not your fault, just venting my frustrations.  If Mark doesn't pull his finger out and fix this problem, I'm moving on and that's a big thing for me to say as I've been mining TAG since day 1 as you know.

John,

I agree wholeheartedly... with an orphan rate of nearly 33%... just check the 24hr stats - 61 blocks found - 43 valid - 18 orphans... TAG is no longer a profitable coin to mine for me... and as everyone here knows I am a big TAG fan and been mining since the beginning as well... Mark and the team must address this... it is vital for the long-term usefulness of the coin... and if Mark does not know how to remedy this problem... then the coin faces a real long-term confidence issue.

Fuse is in no way implicated in this fiasco... he has set a gold standard for pool admins... and he has to be extremely frustrated to see this happening after all the hard work, energy and real money he has invested in this pool.

I have moved on... I am mining EarthCoin... the other coin that I believe has real potential and usefulness... now and in the future... and it is reasonably profitable to mine... at least until it starts getting hit with multi-pools.

Fuse... you know I will support any pools that you choose to open to counter your losses from TAG.

EDIT - Another orphan - #28256 - that makes two in a row.

I am with you guys 100%.  In fact if you look back in the main thread, I was one of the first people, if not the first person, to bring up the unusually high orphan rates.  I understand that people are saying that it is correcting itself, but lets say TAG gets as big as LTC.  Take one of the top pools, GiveMeCoins, and they are hashing at about 8-9GH.  That's 8-9 times what Botpool is doing.  If we're seeing issues with one pool at 1GH and the rest equaling about 1GH, what is going to happen when the network hits 10GH?

I agree with your concerns and complaints.  It's very difficult for me to look at the block page and see it dotted with ORPHAN ORPHAN ORPHAN ORPHAN.  It's especially hard when you can't do anything about it because it's not a server issue.

I think if anything is to be done about it, the difficulty needs to retarget every X amount of blocks.  I say 10-20 blocks.  That's every few hours if things are running smooth.  I think it would help to even out the difficulty, and reduce the issues we're seeing.  I really do think the wild swings are what are causing a majority of the issues... as well as Botpool being such a blubbering whale in Asia.  But I'm working on that  Wink.  

In the meantime, I think we should campaign for the difficulty to retarget less often.  Even if that doesn't solve the orphan issue, it will smooth out the round targets, and stabilize the rewards a little bit.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:42:02 PM

Is there any detailed data I could examine? Essentially I'm looking for: Block #, Difficulty level, # Shares to solve, Network hashrate.

I could plot out data showing how the coin would react with different block retargeting times (every 2 blocks, every 5, etc).

Also, curse you amazon.. still no cards.. all is good though, within an hour or so I'll have a restock of amazon giftcards at a discount. So I will be patient. I want 10 more cards, but I might have to suffer with only 5 in order to purchase other stuff not related to mining. lol

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:10:31 PM

Is there any detailed data I could examine? Essentially I'm looking for: Block #, Difficulty level, # Shares to solve, Network hashrate.

I could plot out data showing how the coin would react with different block retargeting times (every 2 blocks, every 5, etc).

Also, curse you amazon.. still no cards.. all is good though, within an hour or so I'll have a restock of amazon giftcards at a discount. So I will be patient. I want 10 more cards, but I might have to suffer with only 5 in order to purchase other stuff not related to mining. lol

The round data is the closest to that info as I could give you without giving you access to the back end DB.  You could easily parse that with the Scraper Chrome Plugin.  That's how I calculate the jackpot each week.  The only variable I wouldn't have in that is the network hashrate, but you could use Dabs's equation to get that via the difficulty.

There was a site I saw the other day called giftcardgrandma, or something like that.  Basically a buy and sell site for gift cards.  They don't take BTC, but they have a ton of Amazon gift cards at a discount.  Worth a shot if you have the fiat.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:16:38 AM

Finally having issues with a 270X, a Visiontek. I'm not quite sure if it's power related or what, but it's the one which was always slower than the rest. Now it's just getting sick about half hour into mining, and dying out. Keeps doing it despite my best efforts. I even lowered the clock and intensity and that doesn't help.

Going to swap it out for another GPU to see if it's power related and then go from there. Tomorrow that is. The others seem fine.

Also HEADS UP on a scam going around: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=416616.msg4519954#msg4519954

johndec2

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:30:54 AM

Yeah, been getting that email for a few days, deleted without even reading.. I'll have to read the next one!  Grin
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:37:28 AM

I think I'll go with a bunch of 280X's. So that should give me 800 KH/S each? If I stuff 6 of them in a box (with adequate cooling, etc.) I should get about 4800 KH/S.

I'll need maybe 2 PSUs to power them and, would appreciate input. I plan on getting either 5 GPUs or 6 GPUs. I know someone has already set up a 5 GPU system, so I can probably just almost exactly copy that build, but I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten a 6 GPU rig running, using the new ASRock BTC motherboard. (Or any other mobo for that matter.)

Why 280X?, well, I won't be paying for power for this one rig, but I can't run it all day (something like half the day only.)

If I do 6 GPUs and get 4800 KH/S, and run it all day, it will cost me about 2850 USD to buy all the parts, 400 USD in electricity per month, and earn about 400 USD per month at 200 difficulty. It will take me 6 months to break even or ROI. (Or I just hoard the coins I don't need to use.)

If I don't pay for power, but run it half the day, then it still takes me 6 months.

The best situation is I run it free power, all day, for 3 months. I'm wondering where I can get that. hehe.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:54:51 AM

[2014-01-15 16:52:05] Stratum detected new block
[2014-01-15 16:52:05] thread 0: 45336 hashes, 2.68 khash/s
[2014-01-15 16:52:05] thread 1: 41492 hashes, 2.52 khash/s
[2014-01-15 16:53:03] thread 1: 151024 hashes, 2.57 khash/s
[2014-01-15 16:53:10] thread 0: 160600 hashes, 2.47 khash/s
[2014-01-15 16:53:50] thread 0: 104556 hashes, 2.58 khash/s
[2014-01-15 16:53:50] accepted: 1/1 (100.00%), 5.15 khash/s (yay!!!)

I got bored, so decided to CPU mine.

johndec2

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:32:03 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 11:07:45 AM by johndec2

Something wrong with the front end.  Still showing 119 confirms on a block found nearly 4 hours ago and pool stats don't seem to be updating. Fuse, sleep is over rated!  Grin

EDIT: It's sorted itself out somehow..
johndec2

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:01:18 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 12:15:21 PM by johndec2

Fuse, it is with deep regret that I'm considering scaling back my involvement with this coin.  As you know better than anyone I've been involved with this coin since day 1.  I just checked the ANN thread and my first post was the 23rd of what is is now 2060 posts.  You also know that I've been your wingman here, I used to be the pool whale in the early days with about 1.4mh/s !

However this coin is slowly getting fucked up by some poor choices by Mark in not being flexible enough adapt the coin as it grows.  However that pales into insignificance compared to the effect that the Chinese pool is having on the coin.  They don't appear to care that they are repeatedly forking the coin, be it accidental or deliberate.  Coinwarz might tell me this is a highly profitable coin but when you deduct up to 1/3 orphans, it ain't.

My farm is currently up to 2.85mh/s.  I'm keeping the .85 pointed at TAG for old times sake but the other 2 is ATM moving over to earthcoin. Hey, 24kilo lives 15 minutes up the road from me.  He'll take EAC for his vegies!  If he sold lobster or steak, I'd be an EAC fanatic but even I need potatoes and turnips...

Feel free to point out this post to Mark.  If he's losing me, who else is disillusioned.
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:08:46 PM

Fuse, it is with deep regret that I'm considering scaling back my involvement with this coin.  As you know better than anyone I've been involved with this coin since day 1.  I just checked the ANN thread and my first post was the 23rd of what is is now 2060 posts.  You also know that I've been your wingman here, I used to be the pool whale in the early days with about 1.4mh/s !

However this coin is slowly getting fucked up by some poor choices by Mark in not being flexible enough adapt the coin as it grows.  However that pales into insignificance compared to the effect that the Chinese pool is having on the coin.  They don't appear to care that they are repeatedly forking the coin, be it accidental or deliberate.  Coinwarz might tell me this is a highly profitable coin but when you deduct up to 1/3 orphans, it ain't.

My farm is currently up to 2.85mh/s.  I'm keeping the .85 pointed at TAG for old times sake but the other 2 is ATM moving over to earthcoin. Hey, 24kilo lives 15 minutes up the road from me.  He'll take EAC for his vegies!  If he sold lobster or steak, I'd be an EAC fanatic but even I need potatoes and turnips...

Feel free to point out this post to Mark.  If he's losing me, who else is disillusioned.

Couple of things that might ease your mind:

1. Mark is addressing the fork/orphan issue in an upcoming update.  His developers know the issue and are working towards a fix.  He has assured me that this will happen, and that they are certain that this is the fix.  The forking/orphan issue is not a direct result of the increase in hashrate or the fluctuating difficulty.  At this time, I will go on record as saying I am almost completely certain that he will fix this issue without changing the difficulty retarget. 

2. Without discussing specific details, I will let you know that Mark is taking some very large business actions right now that are taking some time to resolve.  This was the reason for his trip to the US.  I will leave it at that.

3. Botpool won't be a problem in the next couple weeks.  No ETA, but there will be an announcement shortly Grin

4. I will go ahead and openly state that I am going to start an EAC pool.  24Kilo and I have talked about this briefly via PM, and I have confirmed that I am interested in starting one.  I just need a little time to square away the more pressing matters, and work, and my personal life(a little lol), before I get started on that.  So keep an eye out for the updates.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
24Kilo

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:54:08 PM

Fuse,

This is great news... I am lost without TAG to mine. I am mining EAC at the moment, but it is not really a coin I want to mine, but a coin I want to use... sell veggies with, buy boots with, etc.

It has been extremely frustrating to slog away mining TAG at $.60USD only to finally have the coin reach a sustainable price of $1.50 or so and fall apart... forking, front-ends and back-ends not working, orphans galore, etc... Grrrr!!!

I would be really happy to park 10Mh/s on TAG and just let the miners chomp away... TAG is only alt-coin... maybe the only crypto-coin with a purpose, even EarthCoin is going to take a herculean effort to make it a usable and practical currency... TAG is already there.

I want to mine TAG!!!
24Kilo

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:10:12 PM

John,

I could have not said it better myself... and I arrived on the TAG scene shortly after you... we have to support Fuse... he has supported us as miners without hesitation and often at great cost to himself... while I like TAG... my loyalty is with Fuse and is why I recommended that he start an EAC pool as I want to keep supporting him with my hash-rate. I sincerely hope that Mark and the team do provide the fixes needed to make TAG the coin of choice to mine again.

Apologies for heading off-topic...

As for the EAC for food... I plenty of new season potatoes I am happy to deliver to your door for EAC... Dutch Cream, Tassie Pinkeye, Ottway Red... here is a handful of freshly dug King Edward potatoes...

Also this maybe of interest to you - http://earthcointalk.org/groups/mining-for-food/forum/

Oh... and I may be able to supply some locally raised, grass-fed beef and lamb for EAC... let me know if you are interested.

Back to topic at hand...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: