Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:51:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:22:11 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2013, 05:56:38 AM by Unthinkingbit
Merited by Vlad2Vlad (7), realdantreccia (7)

This is the main devcoin thread. The following are popular devcoin links:

ASCMDVCPT - ASICMiner Devcoin  Pass Through
Buy Computer/Mining Parts with Devcoin
Devcoin Advertising Campaign
Devcoin Price Thread
Devcoin Venture
Devcoin QT Wallet For Windows Users
Devtome: Get Hundreds of Thousands of free Devcoins for writing
Earn Devcoins by Writing
Free Devcoins!!!!
Free DVC! Devcoin Faucet Beta Test
Help with Setting Up a Devcoin Wallet - Ya I'm a Noob
IRC Channel: #devcoin on freenode.net
Lottery
Official Site
Time to Buy Devcoins (1 penny each or less)
Where to Spend Devcoins

Devcoin is an ethically inspired project based on the BitCoin crypto-currency and created to help fund open source projects created by programmers, hardware developers, writers, musicians, painters, graphic artists and filmmakers.

Participants in the DevCoin economy earn DevCoins in proportion to their project development. Writers earn devcoins by writing, developers earn bitcoins by developing, artists earn DevCoin by creating, and the same follow for every other category including Administrators who apply their time and effort to help organize the DevCoin project and Marketers who earn devcoins by marketing.

We consider funding open source projects of all sorts, so if you have one idea that needs funding and you like us to take a look, please, by all means, submit your project at Cryptostocks and share with the DevCoin community over our this thread. We understand you may not want to discuss your idea in public, if that's the case, please submit it to unthinkingbit@gmail.com.

Download instructions are at:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#download

The number of devcoins offered is large because the generation is fifty thousand per block, one thousand times the initial bitcoin generation rate. Devcoins can be traded at:
https://vps.vircurex.com/welcome/index?base=dvc&alt=btc

Besides bounties, the remainder of the 90% of generation is going to the open source developers on the bitcoin donation list:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/bitcoinshare.html

and to the open source developers who are developing other stuff on the devcoin share list:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/devcoinshare.html

To get on a donation list, an open source developer can message me or post in an active devcoin thread. They could also post in the original induction thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18498

However, since there are few posts in the original induction thread I'm not checking it often.

The developers on the bitcoin donation list can see their devcoins by running a devcoin client and importing their bitcoin donation key into devcoin. One way of importing that key is by following the README.txt instructions for the modified version of bitcoin tools which incorporates Matt Giuca's privkeyimport:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/bitcointools

They could also use Jackjack's pywallet:
https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet

the instructions for which are in the Pywallet section at the bottom of the post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg432697#msg432697

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:28:39 PM

For importing you can use pywallet
It has a web interface, and entirely works with Devcoin, I just tested it

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 02:40:35 PM

Hi Unthinkingbit,

I have setup the forum now and its available for testing.

http://www.devcointalk.org/

At the moment anyone can register and post. I tried changing this to fulfill the bounty but I had trouble with the SMF settings.
Maybe its better to keep it open and people can make donations.

Next I will install mediawiki and the bridge for SMF.

Please note this is still under development. I hope to be assigning moderator and even admin access to those helping with the devcoin project soon.

Please note that people are able to earn devcoins for work on Rejuvepedia especially project "in utero" which will eventually allow humans to be completely rejuvenated by spending 9 months in a tissue engineered womb and to "breathe" and be fed nutrients, stem cells and so on through a tissue engineered placenta. We need people to do some exploration of concept artwork for this like a rendered 3d animation.

My Devcoin address:

19piwg8kyW5unDpLjYjbvE6GGvtAfghT8c

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:36:39 PM

I built and ran the devcoind, though it built of course as bitcoind, it did create a .devcoin directory at least!

After that I built and ran the devcoin-qt,  it told be it could not run since I had devcoind already running, so I stopped that and reran it.  It is now showing as only having one connection and 6581 block(s) downloaded.

I build it on Debian 6, and had to install the boost libraries, and gthread2.0 and qt4-qmake to get it all to build.

Not really sure what to do now though!

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:06:41 PM

Thanks for the tip, I edited the announcement post and added that.  If you want me to add instructions, please post them or message me and I'll edit the announcement again.

Also, when you post your devcoin testing post, if you would add what you had to do to import a key with pywallet that would be great.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 07:10:26 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 07:25:50 PM by markm

I built and ran the devcoind, though it built of course as bitcoind, it did create a .devcoin directory at least!

After that I built and ran the devcoin-qt,  it told be it could not run since I had devcoind already running, so I stopped that and reran it.  It is now showing as only having one connection and 6581 block(s) downloaded.

I build it on Debian 6, and had to install the boost libraries, and gthread2.0 and qt4-qmake to get it all to build.

Not really sure what to do now though!

The INSTALL file mentions some files that need to be in the program's "current directory" aka "present working directory" when the program is run.

As you mention needing Qt, it sounds like you made devcoin-qt as well as devcoind?

The INSTALL for devcoind mentions one typically strips it (to make it smaller) and renames it as devcoind.

I forgot to mention the idea of stripping it for size in devcoin-qt's INSTALL file.

Devcoin-qt cannot mine. So if you want to mine it is devcoind you will want to run, at least while mining.

With some routers, if you compile with USE_UPNP active, it might be able to open the port it needs for networking automagically. If not, you will probably need to tell your router to route that port number, tcp protocol, to that port on that machine.

Having the port open lets others connect to you, if you don't open the port you might experience for yourself what you would be helping cause others to experience: difficulty in finding someone to connect to.

Whether you mine or not is up to you. But we need people with the port (port 52333) open as lack of such people is why others have trouble at this early stage in finding people to connect to. Basically we need to establish a bunch of 24/7 nodes, and even, once we know who they are, put their static IP address if they have one, or their no-ip.org dynamic name or equivalent, right into the program as seed nodes to help make sure people find others to connect to swiftly and easily.

As we have switched over from the Groupcoin thread to a specifically Devcoin thread now I have started a #devcoin channel on freenode IRC so we don't have to use the #groupcoin channel there for chats about devcoin.

-MarkM-

P.S. I am going to go investigate importing of keys now so that hopefully shortly after you are able to tell us your devcoin receiving address I will be able to send you some bounty...

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:24:15 PM

Hi Unthinkingbit,

I have setup the forum now and its available for testing.

http://www.devcointalk.org/

Thanks for the forum.

At the moment anyone can register and post. I tried changing this to fulfill the bounty but I had trouble with the SMF settings.
Maybe its better to keep it open and people can make donations.

I've expanded the forum bounty at:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/wiki/Devcoin-Bounty

"There will be a five million devcoin total bounty for a forum site which requires bitcoins / devcoins to join and post, the money would support the site, any remaining income would be distributed according to the wishes of the posters. Two million will be for requiring a registration fee paid in devcoins or bitcoins. Two million would be for using up that fee per post, the user would also be able to add more to the post money. One million would be for the ability the pay with bitcoins and devcoins."

The reason to make paying for registration and posting mandatory is to automatically stop spam.  Spammers won't make donations Wink

Most forums with a lot of traffic eventually need moderators, which do a thankless task for no money.  The bounty is so that the computer will do the thankless task for no money.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:32:10 PM

Thanks for the tip, I edited the announcement post and added that.  If you want me to add instructions, please post them or message me and I'll edit the announcement again.

Also, when you post your devcoin testing post, if you would add what you had to do to import a key with pywallet that would be great.
As I didn't do anything special I thought a testing post was useless, but ok I'll make one, including pywallet importing

Also I just read the old post, many thanks for the gift! Here's my address: 1M1BzQBpb8sbCuNzBTaae9PBdvjLthVrbR
My friend isn't a developer and basically told me 'keep your devcoins and give me some bitcoins instead' Sad

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 08:21:52 PM

I would really prefer to have a new pool which gives 90% of the income to OSS and 10% to the miners instead of an entire new blockchain.
Sure, noone would join this pool. But so noone would join this new blockchain?

Remember the few real dangers for the whole Bitcoin project? Yes, one was the splitting up into several forks/chains/projects/currencies. Divide and conquer.

I encurage you to drop the whole idea altogether.

Ente
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 08:39:37 PM

As I didn't do anything special I thought a testing post was useless, but ok I'll make one, including pywallet importing

Also I just read the old post, many thanks for the gift! Here's my address: 1M1BzQBpb8sbCuNzBTaae9PBdvjLthVrbR
My friend isn't a developer and basically told me 'keep your devcoins and give me some bitcoins instead' Sad

If I understand correctly, what I will be sending you if you agree is 100,000 DVC bounty for basic "I installed devcoind or devcoin-qt" post.

I don't seem to be clear as to whether you did in fact install both, but maybe your more detailed post will clarify that. Possibly Unthinkingbit can clarify whether that will end up adding up to 300,000, 100k each for being one of the first to post that you installed devcoind, for being one of the first to post that you installed devcoin-qt, and for posting a detailed post; plus I am not clear on whether the detailed post one is available for each of the two programs. (I should sleep one of these days...) So that could come to 300,000 or 400,000, I am not clear which, of you agree.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 12:23:02 AM

If I understand correctly, what I will be sending you if you agree is 100,000 DVC bounty for basic "I installed devcoind or devcoin-qt" post.

I don't seem to be clear as to whether you did in fact install both, but maybe your more detailed post will clarify that. Possibly Unthinkingbit can clarify whether that will end up adding up to 300,000, 100k each for being one of the first to post that you installed devcoind, for being one of the first to post that you installed devcoin-qt, and for posting a detailed post; plus I am not clear on whether the detailed post one is available for each of the two programs. (I should sleep one of these days...) So that could come to 300,000 or 400,000, I am not clear which, of you agree.

To be clearer about the testing bounty.  It's one bounty per person, regardless of whether he installed one or two.

If it is a minimal post, the person gets 100,000 DVC, for an informative post the person gets 200,000 DVC.

The post has to summarize the installation, if the information is scattered over a few posts that does not qualify.  An ideal model is the post Caston made which summarized all his posts:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24813.msg423232#msg423232

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 12:35:15 AM

I was talking about the block explorer bounty. Is it still ok for that?

Now the testing feedbacks, yes both are working, on a 32bit Ubuntu Lucid:
Devcoind:
mkdir devcoin && cd devcoin
Downloaded devcoin-02-Aug-2011.tgz in devcoin
tar zxfv devcoin-0*
cd devcoin
cd src
make -f makefile.unix bitcoind
I had the wxwidgets working for a previous bitcoin compiling so I also did: make -f makefile.unix
./bitcoind

Devcoin-qt:
apt-get install qt4-qmake libqt4-dev
mkdir devcoin-qt && cd devcoin-qt
Downloaded devcoin-qt-02-Aug-2011.tgz in devcoin-qt
tar zxfv devcoin-qt*
cd devcoin-qt
qmake
make

Both devcoin started downloading blocks when launched, and had 1 connection immediately

Pywallet:
Backup your wallets...
Download pywallet
Run ./pywallet.py --web
Open http://localhost:8989
Below 'Dump your wallet', type the filename and directory of your bitcoin wallet (autofilled with bitcoin default), and click on the dump button
Ctrl-F to find that: (assuming the key to import is 1M1Bz*)
       {
            "addr": "1M1BzQBpb8sbCuNzBTaae9PBdvjLthVrbR",
            "hexsec": "abd5678903xxxxxxx",
            "reserve": 1,
            "sec": "5xxxxx"
        },
Below 'Import a key':
  • type filename and directory of your devcoin wallet
  • type the "sec" entry seen in the dump, beginning with a 5
  • type the label of your key: 'donations' or whatever
  • leave 'Reserve' UNchecked
  • leave 0 for Version
  • leave Base58 for Format
  • click the import button

This should returns:
Address: 1M1BzQBpb8sbCuNzBTaae9PBdvjLthVrbR
Privkey: 5xxxxx
Hexkey: abd5678903xxxxxxx
Key imported in /path/to/devcoin/wallet/walletfilename
If not (unlikely, it works here), let me know

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:14:00 AM

Each post adds a bit of new information for people installing, although it is a case of diminishing returns because each post adds less new information on average, so that's why the bounty is only for the first five.

I also added a link on the announcement post to your excellent Pywallet instructions.

I sent the 5,000,000, but at the time of this writing there are no confirmations.

Well at least he's a step up from paypal Smiley

caston

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 01:33:52 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 01:51:35 AM by caston

[
I've expanded the forum bounty at:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/wiki/Devcoin-Bounty

"There will be a five million devcoin total bounty for a forum site which requires bitcoins / devcoins to join and post, the money would support the site, any remaining income would be distributed according to the wishes of the posters. Two million will be for requiring a registration fee paid in devcoins or bitcoins. Two million would be for using up that fee per post, the user would also be able to add more to the post money. One million would be for the ability the pay with bitcoins and devcoins."

The reason to make paying for registration and posting mandatory is to automatically stop spam.  Spammers won't make donations Wink

Most forums with a lot of traffic eventually need moderators, which do a thankless task for no money.  The bounty is so that the computer will do the thankless task for no money.

Don't get me wrong i'm keen to earn those devcoins but I'm not a programmer so couldn't really implement that automatically. I could maybe have a manual procedure. Also if someone else springs up a site where you need to pay to join and post how are they going to complete with the free one?

I do intend to keep running the forums over a long period of time into the future and to also bring in other admins very soon to help with the initial setup and future administration tasks on an ongoing basis. I'm also going to implement mediawiki soon. If someone else sets up a pay to join/post forum they could abandon it or it could flop just after they collect the bounty.

You could perhaps make it that some of the mined devcoins go towards the upkeep of the forum which would include anti spam meastures both proactive and reactive, automatic and manual.

Other than than if someone knows how to implement this automatically they could get in touch with me and make the modifications to the forum software and we could share the bounty. I would suggest the join/post fee it would be just a small donation that would decrease with deflation but I am still concerned it will discourage newbies who have never mined. I'd also much prefer it be a donate before you can post than before you can join.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 01:47:35 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 02:35:23 AM by markm

If hosting that accepts devcoins happens along before (an exchange that exchanges devcoins for bitcoins plus hosting that accepts bitcoins) or (an exchange that exchanges devcoins for fiat plus hosting that accepts fiat) then maybe devcoins could go toward hosting. I wonder how many devcoins we can sell for how many bitcoins and how many bitcoins your friend would need to upgrade the hosting?

Very nice post jackjack, colours even, cool. So it seems that it will be 200,000 DVC I'll be sending you...

-MarkM-

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:52:03 AM

Don't get me wrong i'm keen to earn those devcoins but I'm not a programmer so couldn't really implement that automatically.

The bounty is for the automatic procedure, because it's not just for a devcoin site but for any site, so that it will be possible for any forum site to automatically stop spam.

Also if someone else springs up a site where you need to pay to join and post how are they going to complete with the free one?

There are already some sites which charge to join.  They can compete with free sites by not having ads, by adding big file upload, etc..  A five dollar registration fee is affordable, and a few pennies per post is enough to stop spam.

You could perhaps make it that some of the mined devcoins go towards the upkeep of the forum which would include anti spam meastures both proactive and reactive, automatic and manual.

Everything is to be automatic.  It's cheaper to pay five million once for all sites who want it in the world, than continuous maintenance fees for all the sites that want to stop spam in the world.

The bounty is fundamentally to stop spam everywhere.  If it was just for a devcoin site I know it would be cheaper to manually stop spam, but part of the point of devcoin is to create programs that solve problems for everyone.  If we can say devcoins helped stop spam for everyone, a lot of people would be happy to buy devcoins.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:56:17 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 03:19:04 AM by jackjack

I sent the 5,000,000, but at the time of this writing there are no confirmations.
Received, I even mined the block containing it Wink

Well at least he's a step up from paypal Smiley
Sure! He became a bitcoiner thanks to (because of?) me

If hosting that accepts devcoins happens along before (an exchange that exchanges devcoins for bitcoins plus hosting that accepts bitcoins) or (an exchangebt that exchanges devcoins for fiat plus hosting that accepts fiat) then maybe devcoins could go toward hosting. I wonder how many devcoins we can sell for how many bitcoins and how many bitcoins your friend would need to upgrade the hosting?
I believe he hosts it on his mining rig. I'll ask him to be sure though
Speaking of that I think I can make a little exchange, anybody already planed to take care of this or I can give it a try?

Very nice post jackjack, colours even, cool. So it seems that if you agree it will be 200,000 DVC I'll be sending you...
It's perfect, thanks

caston

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 04:05:27 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 04:20:52 AM by caston

OK so the bounty is about stopping spam. I thought it was to develop the devcoin community. Although spammers are motivated by financial reward just like everyone else except they go about it in socially unacceptable and disruptive way. Of course there are many other things that motivate people other than financial reward. Love, respect, purpose motivation and so on. Spam is a problem on my wiki but if I charged people to contribute to it that would be backwards as I should actually be paying those who contribute. At some point there will be enough purpose motivated people that as soon as some spam appears on Rejuvepedia it will be reverted by one of many anti vandalism volunteers who are so motivated by the purpose of rejuvenation that they don't want to see a few spammers ruin the cause for the rest of us.

Of course people have needs like food, shelter, clean drinking water, clothing, good health and physical fitness, opportunities for friendship and courtship. Freedom from political and economic oppression and usury. I hope that financial rewards will enable the good people who help with the cause to have these good things. Bounties could even be there to help make these things more accessible to all people. E.g. bounties for automated housing construction or food and clothing fabricators. I think that there must be controls to ensure that the bounty is only paid for a 100% and long term solution.

I am also concerned that although at the moment spammers do not use currencies they may come to see them as a small advertising cost and may try socially unacceptable means to acquire or steal them. It could make spammers interested in them for no reason other than to distribute more spam.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 04:24:53 AM

I believe he hosts it on his mining rig. I'll ask him to be sure though
Speaking of that I think I can make a little exchange, anybody already planed to take care of this or I can give it a try?

Sure give it a try, it would be nice maybe to imaine there could be more and more currencies that all use basically the same API, gosh knows how many *coind daemons some sites might run to enable exchange between many different currencies.

sacarlson has some kind of web front end he uses to do his WEED and BEER exchange, based on one of the european open source exchanges but adapted to be able to exchange more than one blockchain-based currency.

Your friend's mining rig is probably not co-hosted at a datacentre, so probably the slowness is part of the way home internet tends to be set up, companies want to spam home users, broadcasting stuff at them without particularly wanting large volume of fast uploading back from them, so not ideal for webserving.

Here is the hosting I use: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

If people buy using that link I get some kind of commission as I am basically an affiliate as well as a customer.

So far I basically only use it for http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org which has so far only needed the cheapest non-free option.

The free offer is actually pretty good as free hosting goes, very good in fact, but I ended up having to upgrade as soon as the galaxies game actually started being played.

I would like to upgrade to whatever level would allow me to run *coind daemons as I already have shell scripts for doing exchange among a whole bunch of blockchain currencies as my IRC bots and my Crossfire RPG trader-bot both use them. ALso I want to deploy an Open Transactions server so we can at least check it out even if it is true that for "real" use we should increase the number of bits it uses for hashes or crypto or whatever.

I guess it is getting toward time to figure out how many devcoins would have to be sold to buy what level of hosting... probably at least a virtual machine would be needed maybe a dedicated machine.

-MarkM-

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 07:53:41 AM

Hi Jackjack,

Thanks for the offer but since devcoin is a preliminary blockchain which may be restarted, devcoin is not ready for a market at the time of this post.

After we successfully go through a meeting to set up the next receiver_*.csv file, around block 8,500, then I guess devcoin would be ready.  Even then any exchange should have a really big sign saying Beware Beta.

Hi Mark,

I would like to upgrade to whatever level would allow me to run *coind daemons as I already have shell scripts for doing exchange among a whole bunch of blockchain currencies as my IRC bots and my Crossfire RPG trader-bot both use them. ALso I want to deploy an Open Transactions server so we can at least check it out even if it is true that for "real" use we should increase the number of bits it uses for hashes or crypto or whatever.

I guess it is getting toward time to figure out how many devcoins would have to be sold to buy what level of hosting... probably at least a virtual machine would be needed maybe a dedicated machine.

One thing that would be useful would be a server provider that people could pay for in bitcoins/devcoins and get whatever level of service they want and can afford.  A lot of developers end up spending a lot of time looking for a good server to run scripts on.

It would be good to know what the price is per unit for a dedicated machine and for a server.  If it is cheaper to buy in bulk, we could make a devcoin buy for open source developers who want a server, maybe with some *coind daemons and block explorer available.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: