Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 12:36:30 PM

Bitcoin is over $6 - Devcoin network is 20 Ghash, am I still asleep?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 03:24:59 PM

im sorry if you felt like you were slandered. I felt like I was stolen from. water under the bridge now my friend

Agreed, I was trying to be lighthearted and silly, which can be tough through online forums. 

We're all good now.

But seriously, you have a billion DVC?  I know you've gotten a bunch of bounties, but wow, that's a lot of coins.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:29:54 PM

But seriously, you have a billion DVC?  I know you've gotten a bunch of bounties, but wow, that's a lot of coins.
It sounds unlikely. At 24,660 blocks, 50,000 coins per block, that's 1.233  billion coins in circulation.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 03:44:53 PM

It sounds unlikely. At 24,660 blocks, 50,000 coins per block, that's 1.233  billion coins in circulation.

Agreed, but I haven't seen a "cablepair" username on the devcoin pool, so unless cablepair is mining solo, which may be likely, I assumed he was only getting bounties.

I'd be surprised if 80% of the coins are owned by him while I respect the fact that it's possible.

This would be a surprising fact, and may deter people from adopting a coin where one person has so many.  That's the big "hub bub" about some of the coins such as tenebrix with a 7,000,000 premine.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
cablepair

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 06:50:06 PM

lol

i certainly do not actually have a billion devcoins, it was more of an expression
example:
"I have a billion things to do today"

and I have not been solo mining, in fact I have barely mined for devcoins until today when I saw the difficulty I added 1.5 ghash to my pool to keep the blocks solving for my miners.

my Pools wallet total is about 11 million and that includes devcoins owned by miners, my own little bit of mining and 1% of fees for the pool

I have about 5 million devcoins stored on the exchange

but you have to remember there are 5000 coins mined on each block, 5 Mil is not that much

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 09:34:13 PM

I need some help to get dvc started

I have downloaded the devcoind folder, what should i do next ?
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 09:58:29 PM

Cablepair wrote an article on devtome:
http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Setup_a_Merged_Mining_Bitcoin_Pool_with_PoolServerJ

and so got the signing bonus for writing:
http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Earn_Devcoins_By_Writing#Signing_Bonus

at the time there was the option of getting the generation share upfront so I sent him five million devcoins:
19715 - 5,000,000 DVC - http://64.244.102.88:2750/tx/481d314a38320775667c83f94bb6baf74060786bc16527ab3a1ab28f51c0c33c

and so I will get an extra generation share in round 7.

Note, because it takes extra administrative work to send devcoins and then go on the bounty list, the signing bonus is now only in bitcoins or a generation share, the option of devcoins upfront has been dropped.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 09:59:10 PM

Cablepair is now a devcoin administrator:
http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Devcoin#Administration

His main duty is to determine if someone wrote enough stuff to earn devcoins by writing:
http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Earn_Devcoins_By_Writing

and if they asked for generation shares, he would add them to a devtome bounty list which would be added to the main bounty list. If they asked for bitcoins, he would have the option of sending them bitcoins and putting himself on the devtome bounty list for that transaction, or he could ask me to send the bitcoins, in which case I would go on the bounty list.

Also, when there is a fifth administrator, he will maintain a copy of the receiver files, like:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/raw/master/receiver_6.csv

For all this work he will get an extra generation share for as long as he wants to be an administrator.

Anyone who has been on the bitcoinshare or devcoinshare list for a month and works well with others can ask to be an adminstrator at any time, and leave at any time. To get on one of the lists you can do some open source development, and/or you can write, or port over stuff you have written, at least a thousand words a month for devtome.

cablepair

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 11:21:56 PM

I need some help to get dvc started

I have downloaded the devcoind folder, what should i do next ?

can you describe in more detail what you have downloaded and from where?

I would like to help you but I need more information to get started

thanks!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:09:10 AM

If you downloaded the source code of devcoind then the thing to do is compile it, which will require all the dependencies such as boost and cur

If you want to compile the GUI version you will also need wxWidgets.

The details depend a lot on what kind of operating system you happen to be using.

Meanwhile, I am uploading to the sourceforge site a version of groupcoin that has the merged mining patches applied, since we are very close to the block at which merged mining will become active. It should probably happen some hours before it becomes active for devcoin by the look of it.

It is kind of amusing with all the altcoins that have been flying by how devcoin and groupcoin kept being overlooked, but maybe now with merged mining they will both be able to gain some difficulty and maybe some interest.

Groupcoin, like Devcoin, is included among the coin types supported by the alpha test Open Transactions server (which itself is currently waiting for some more robustness fixes that should be coming along shortly.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cablepair

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:14:20 AM

or you can just download the binary at http://devcoin.org and click the download tab

btw: markm: I thought groupcoin was obsolete, something that was supposed to be a fall back in case devcoin had some horrible bug. What is its purpose now?

So MarkM: how confident are you that merged mining will work? have you guys tested it on test nets? I have not heard any kind of details about this, that is why i am asking

thanks in advance for your answers - excited and nervous about block 25000 ! Smiley
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:25:43 AM

One purpose of groupcoin is still to test things that are going into devcoin. Groupcoin's merged mining should start very soon now, so hopefully if there are any problems we will see them there before devcoin reaches its kick-in block-number. Both are based on same code and use same merged mining patches so if it works fine for groupcoin it should hopefully also work fine for devcoin.

Other than that groupcoin has been a nice little low difficulty background thing a few people occassionally mine from time to time just to keep it moving, partly as a fallback in case they never do manage to solve the problem of securing all their various chians such as Britcoin, Canadian Digital Notes, Martian Botcoin and so on they have been waiting for for so long.

Oh one specific feature I do recall about Groupcoin is it is an inflation-coin; it keeps giving 50 coins per block forever if I recall correctly.

Once upon a time there had been various folks arguing in favour of such continuous creation of coins, so Groupcoin might eventually help tell whether they were right that that is a desirable feature.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
cablepair

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:34:30 AM

One purpose of groupcoin is still to test things that are going into devcoin. Groupcoin's merged mining should start very soon now, so hopefully if there are any problems we will see them there before devcoin reaches its kick-in block-number. Both are based on same code and use same merged mining patches so if it works fine for groupcoin it should hopefully also work fine for devcoin.

Other than that groupcoin has been a nice little low difficulty background thing a few people occassionally mine from time to time just to keep it moving, partly as a fallback in case they never do manage to solve the problem of securing all their various chians such as Britcoin, Canadian Digital Notes, Martian Botcoin and so on they have been waiting for for so long.

Oh one specific feature I do recall about Groupcoin is it is an inflation-coin; it keeps giving 50 coins per block forever if I recall correctly.

Once upon a time there had been various folks arguing in favour of such continuous creation of coins, so Groupcoin might eventually help tell whether they were right that that is a desirable feature.

-MarkM-

there really is something called a "Martian Botcoin"? i thought you were joking the other day when you said that, what the hell is a martian botcoin?
doublec
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 04:02:34 AM

Meanwhile, I am uploading to the sourceforge site a version of groupcoin that has the merged mining patches applied, since we are very close to the block at which merged mining will become active. It should probably happen some hours before it becomes active for devcoin by the look of it.
What chain Id are you using for groupcoin?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:12:06 AM

What chain Id are you using for groupcoin?

0x0005

-MarkM-

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:34:39 AM

Given that luke-jr seems to be on a crusade to destroy merge minable alternate chains (he recently attacked the coiledcoin chain), what plans does devcoin have to prevent this when it switches on?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:04:20 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 06:26:37 AM by markm

He is doing a 50%+1 attack? If so the only counter is more hashing power, surely?

Are his users supporting him in this? Or are there folk who will refuse to deal with a pool that does such things?

-MarkM-

EDIT: I see some un-used cde, a .h and .cpp, in which checkpoints are broken out into separate files that are not, in devcoin, actually used. Not sure when they appeared, maybe they might be why you had said before that checkpoints do get used at times other than original download of the chain.

Maybe the merged mining patches just didn't include whatever patches are needed to make that happen?

I thought of this when it occurred to me to put in another checkpoint, when I realised that as far as I know checkpoints only get used at original download. I noticed these new-to-me files when putting the patches into groupcoin.

-MarkM-

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:29:36 AM

He is doing a 50%+1 attack? If so the only counter is more hashing power, surely?

Are his users supporting him in this? Or are there folk who will refuse to deal with a pool that does such things?
Sure, but finding 300 Ghash of power to compete with his pool might be difficult. Do his users support him? I doubt they care.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:32:19 AM

Well this is why pools were considered a dangerous development in the first place, isn't it?

If a majority of cryptocoiners favour sabotage of computer/networking/software systems maybe it is true that cryptocoins are inherently criminal enterprises used by criminals for criminals.

Maybe laws against cyber-harrassment, cyber-vandalism and such do not apply among cybercriminals, but if open warfare is to be acceptable why rule out guns and nukes, or at least far more primitive than computers weapon types such as poison, knives, bludgeons? Where do such lines get drawn?

(And by whom? Burning at the stake to free people's souls is perfectly acceptable by some moralities, who is to say whose morality applies?)

-MarkM-

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:13:13 AM

Well this is why pools were considered a dangerous development in the first place, isn't it?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. All I'm doing is giving advance warning that when merge mining activates you'll have a hostile pool with large hash rate destroying your chain. I'm not arguing about whether such a thing is moral or legal or anything. I'm just saying, you might want to be prepared. Like find 300 Ghash somewhere.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: