Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:59:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:45:57 PM

You guys want to use goofy logic all over the place, so I bring up analogies that show your logic in practice and you all at once disagree with the application of your own logic elsewhere.  (When it doesn't validate your cognitive biases.)

Of course, thats what you have to do when you're on the wrong side of the debate

dude look in a mirror, i personally provided with undebatable scientific material and facts. you, on the other hand, kept marbling about ice melting, birds and whatever other stupid analogy you could come up with to back up your certitudes. No wonder no one gets what the heck you are talking about.
Until PROVEN, man-made global warming is just a THEORY.
now go pay your carbon taxes.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:12:59 PM

Bahhahahah, did you just wake up from a 20 year old nap ?  "We don't have time for debate (peer review)" ?? HUH ?  Bud, the debate and peer review on the basic truth of global warming has been done and is finished.  That is why people were booted off Reddit subforum.  

Thank you for demonstrating my point! The debate has "been over" since the very beginning. You demonstrate very clearly your inability to understand basic scientific principals like dependent/independent variables, causality and correlation. Global warming supporters have NEVER wanted to have a debate - they run on CONDITIONING, ie pounding an idea into your head with a hammer until it fits. I see nothing scientific whatsoever demonstrating human activity is responsible. Peer review study is the golden standard of science. When you BAN the opposing viewpoints, or simply declare "the debate is over" you aren't having peer review. Its that simple. Science can defend itself, it doesn't need your help.

-Look, the basic science behind man made global warming was established decades ago.

-I love how people throw around cause and effect about something where cause and effect can not be directly demonstrated regardless.  Therefore, by their logic it isn't true.

Contradict yourself much? The "science is established" yet there is no way to prove it? That is the opposite of established. Theories and beliefs are not the same as scientific fact. Scientific fact requires empirical data paired with a repeatable experiment and peer review. You are literally rejecting every basic tenet of scientific method while claiming its backing.

If anyone wants to see another lunatic, read the guy above.

Personal attacks already? CLASSY! This is exactly what real scientists do.

Apparently global warming has some big mafia behind it.  All those scientists etc, they're just wanting better jobs.. yea, thats the ticket !  95%+ that we live in, now just decided to blow smoke up our ass because they need jobs and are controlled by corporations and can't think for themselves.

Ah this old chestnut. Human caused global warming policy supporters would NEVER make claims about a giant energy conglomerates conspiring to rob people of as many resources as possible would they?

You probably didn't notice in your nicely air conditioned home that there is a depression going on. This means less jobs, and a lot more pressure to "tow the line" and get whatever results daddy with the pocketbook wants so they can not only feed themselves but fund research they ACTUALLY want to do. Also don't forget massive student loan debt, and the fact that along with having an opposing viewpoint comes ejection from your job. Who is going to hire a research scientist that burns his sponsors? Scientists are humans subject to the same threats as anyone else, and you'd be surprised how little most of them make.

Also last I checked corporations are composed of inanimate objects and stacks of paperwork. It is a legal entity, so no corporations can't think for themselves. They rely on humans to run it, and humans certainly never cheat for lots of money, divert responsibility, or make mistakes now do they? I would like for you to explain to me how YOU personally aren't subject to corporations, and how scientists are some how exempt from this pressure.

I would love to see the source of your "95%+ of the guys who basically made the modern world" quote.
(note your ass is not an acceptable source)
dwma

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:20:17 PM

Thank you for demonstrating my point! The debate has "been over" since the very beginning. You demonstrate very clearly your inability to understand basic scientific principals like dependent/independent variables, causality and correlation. Global warming supporters have NEVER wanted to have a debate - they run on CONDITIONING, ie pounding an idea into your head with a hammer until it fits. I see nothing scientific whatsoever demonstrating human activity is responsible. Peer review study is the golden standard of science. When you BAN the opposing viewpoints, or simply declare "the debate is over" you aren't having peer review. Its that simple. Science can defend itself, it doesn't need your help.

NO ONE has told me what is wrong with the most basic explanation of man made global warming.  Do you not believe CO2 is being released by manmade processes?  Do you think the fact that the sun's radiation is the same as the Earth after absorbing/reflecting/radiating ?   Do you think CO2 absorbs/reflects all frequencies of radiation the same ?  I ask this OVER and OVER.  No one wants to explain to me where this falls apart.

If anyone wants to see another lunatic, read the guy above.

Apparently global warming has some big mafia behind it.  All those scientists etc, they're just wanting better jobs.. yea, thats the ticket !  95%+ that we live in, now just decided to blow smoke up our ass because they need jobs and are controlled by corporations and can't think for themselves.
Quote from: TECSHARE
Ah this old chestnut. Human caused global warming policy supporters would NEVER make claims about a giant energy conglomerates conspiring to rob people of as many resources as possible would they?

You probably didn't notice in your nicely air conditioned home that there is a depression going on. This means less jobs, and a lot more pressure to "tow the line" and get whatever results daddy with the pocketbook wants so they can not only feed themselves but fund research they ACTUALLY want to do. Also don't forget massive student loan debt, and the fact that along with having an opposing viewpoint comes ejection from your job. Who is going to hire a research scientist that burns his sponsors? Scientists are humans subject to the same threats as anyone else, and you'd be surprised how little most of them make.

Also last I checked corporations are composed of inanimate objects and stacks of paperwork. It is a legal entity, so no corporations can't think for themselves. They rely on humans to run it, and humans certainly never cheat for lots of money, divert responsibility, or make mistakes now do they? I would like for you to explain to me how YOU personally aren't subject to corporations, and how scientists are some how exempt from this pressure.

I would love to see the source of your "95%+ of the guys who basically made the modern world" quote.
(note your ass is not an acceptable source)

http://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-cook-et-al-2013.html

97% of 12,000 PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES AGREE ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING BEING MAN MADE.

In your first paragraph you ranted on about no peer review.   What on Earth are you talking about ?  Do you live in a separate reality ?  HELLLO BUUELLLER ?

How mental are you people ?

I knew it was 97%, but dropped it down to 95% just so I felt 100% confident.

You can say the skeptics are kicked out of the peer review journals and so forth, but it'll never end.  If you believe that, then you believe that the type of men who pretty much advanced us to the modern age are now in some huge conspiracy like they can't afford their academic lifestyles anymore.  I could try and guess the "conspiracies" you guys will concoct if you actually bother to respond to this paragraph.

It is a bit tiresome responding to lunacy, so I misspeak at times and lose my clarity.  Guys publishing in peer reviewed journals by and large are not going to be that controlled by corporations assuming they're usually from academia.  And if they are influenced by someone who has interest in denying manmade global warming,  then thats why the papers are (supposedly) peer reviewed.

Anyway, read your first paragraph then read the study I posted for you.  Tell me your issue with that.  I got ripped into using anecdotal evidence to respond to anecdotal evidence, but thats all I have seen from you guys.  It is either that, or a graph that shows the earth's temperature cycles every 100k years. <eyeroll>.   It is either too much data (comparing 400k climate change occurring after 100 year of industrial revolution) or just anecdotal.

97% of 12,000 peer reviewed articles...

And he tells me there is not enough peer review.  

This is why reddit's subreddit booted you guys.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:26:50 PM

from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_believe_in_God_worldwide

As of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God."

doesnt make God real tho. Grin
dwma

Activity: 405

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:19:03 PM

As of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God."

I am amazed you said something I agree with.  However, matters of faith are distinct from science. 

These 97% are guys who have bothered to study and write a paper that was "peer-reviewed".  I'd assume that almost all of them know more about the issue than me or anyone currently posting in this thread.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:37:06 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/12/western-antarctic-ice-sheet-collapse-has-already-begun-scientists-warn

--------------------------------------------------------------
I like pictures  Cheesy

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:06:32 AM

I am amazed you said something I agree with.  However, matters of faith are distinct from science. 

These 97% are guys who have bothered to study and write a paper that was "peer-reviewed".  I'd assume that almost all of them know more about the issue than me or anyone currently posting in this thread.
Not for those who have faith in science rather than science.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:19:09 AM

97% of 12,000 peer reviewed articles...

And he tells me there is not enough peer review.  

This is why reddit's subreddit booted you guys.

Here's the genesis of the big lie you quoted.

‘Here’s the genesis of the lie. When you take a result of 32.6% of all papers that accept AGW, ignoring the 66% that don’t, and twist that into 97%, excluding any mention of that original value in your media reports, there’s nothing else to call it – a lie of presidential proportions.’

Occam's Broom - the sweeping of inconvenient facts under the rug

http://climatelessons.blogspot.nl/2014/03/occams-broom-and-stink-of-97-of-climate.html

But what if....What if I feel totally comfortable saying that 97% were wrong?

http://www.sott.net/article/272114-97-of-the-climate-scientists-have-been-wrong-for-16-years

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:12:13 AM

There you go:

A (Not Quite) Complete List Of Things Supposedly Caused By Global Warming
-> http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/globalwarming2.html

Cheesy
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:40:48 PM

There you go:

Cheesy

It's a classic. I should repost that link every 5 pages or so...  Cheesy
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:43:24 PM

There you go:

Cheesy

It's a classic. I should repost that link every 5 pages or so...  Cheesy

i dont get it wilky, what you think of global warming? human's fault or not?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:00:09 PM

There you go:

Cheesy

It's a classic. I should repost that link every 5 pages or so...  Cheesy

if it's our fault, do we get credit for the no warming in the last 20 years too?

After all....it's still warming....of the negative type...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:59:33 PM

There you go:

Cheesy

It's a classic. I should repost that link every 5 pages or so...  Cheesy

Any natural event will have much more huge direct impact on the planet and to us than anything we may have in disturbing our planet's temperature dramatically, as history is proof of that fact. The climate change model now being pushed does not fit actual observation by science in the short, mid and long term. So why ban the scientific minds who are still looking for causes, real or not?

I am just a dude who was deep into "climate change is hell! Believe it!" until I realized every solution for fighting it is based on taxing people and reducing the poorest of the poor to a perpetual Dark Age.
I also realized the people with the "taxing solution" travel first class in jet engine commercial or private planes, get from their hotel to those convention in not so green limousines, eating out of season fruits, most of them left rotten on tables, among thousands of flyers saying "Save the Planet! Plant a tree!"...

I use skype, google hangouts, sms, mms, emails. I rarely print any paper at all. I rarely print out my photography even. And yet I need to be reminded by Al Gore I am the one who should behave? That is rich...

I asked dwma a question in post #841. Would love to have an answer from him.

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:06:40 PM

I am just a dude who was deep into "climate change is hell! Believe it!"

Nice welcome back to your reason and critical sens. Feels good doesn't it? Wink
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:46:45 PM

But Dr. Goodstuff says man made global warming is fake, but woman made global warming is real!

http://goodstuffsworld.blogspot.nl/2013/01/global-warming-and-hot-women.html
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:58:51 PM

But Dr. Goodstuff says man made global warming is fake, but woman made global warming is real!

Dr. Goodstuff is right. My err.. thermometer was acting up while I was reading his scientific paper...

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:03:39 PM

Dr. Goodstuff is right. My err.. thermometer was acting up while I was reading his scientific paper...

actually man made global warming to make women wear less and less. Grin Cheesy
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

There is no such thing as "settled science." Science is a constantly evolving body of knowledge that by its very nature should demand an ever higher burden of proof.

They called the lipid hypothesis settled science, there was a time when it was a "scientific fact" that the smallest particles in the universe were atoms. It was very recently that it was "settled science" that no particle of matter could be in two places at the same time. All of these "facts" have been tested and shown to be either over simplifications or just wrong.

Any one that calls something "settled science" is trying to shut down a conversation. The next step is to label those that disagree and then to isolate them.

I don't if man made global warming actually occurs. I am no scientist, but i do know that using intellectual and economic fascism to silence opposition is not science.

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:41:12 PM

sadly i guess we're just doomed as those stupid fools that just cant think for themselves outnumber us.

New "scientific" truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

i might disagree with that global warming mascarade, but i'm pretty we're ahead of far worse.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:37:27 PM

sadly i guess we're just doomed as those stupid fools that just cant think for themselves outnumber us.

New "scientific" truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

i might disagree with that global warming mascarade, but i'm pretty we're ahead of far worse.
this is all true but maybe there are some positives.

The entire AGW controversy involves over a dozen fields of science, and as a result of the manipulative attempts at producing technical reports supporting the desired political results instead of using the scientific method....

We have seen a grass roots industry grow up on its own, in which "what is true" is discussed with or without peer reviewed research.  I am saying that we here in this thread, reasonably intelligent people with some math, science or engineering background, actually think nothing of reading scientific peer reviewed papers and rejecting their conclusions in whole or part.  And in a thousand other places this is being done through the Internet.  This process of discovery, whatever you want to call it....independent vetting?Huh is a new development and it will only grow and get more established.

That's pretty big.  I'm not sure where it leads, maybe some time off a point where the very nature of science is very different than today.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: