Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:16:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:19:42 PM

Climate change is fucking up a whole lot of people's lives already. It has killed a lot of people. This is not an unsubstantiated claim. During a catastrophic event the extra water may be all that knocked over and killed a lot of people's families. Same thing goes about heatwaves, drying out of certain areas and wild-fires.  We only have one planet so we can't afford to be careless with it.

The false attribution of human death or misery to climate change BY HUMANS is the issue.

KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:43:43 PM

The false attribution of human death or misery to climate change BY HUMANS is the issue.

Wrong. This is definitely not a question of happenstance but of extent.

Small but consistent changes in climate can be the difference between a healthy river that supports farmers and an empty river which is useless and forces people to move.

This happened to Syria.

Denying that climate change is happening and is affecting humans and is caused by humans is not supported by the facts.

A lot of people don't like the facts but if you were to produce evidence that does not come from a biased source that what you say is correct then I'll listen. You claim, you do not argue.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:17:08 PM

Wrong. This is definitely not a question of happenstance but of extent.

Small but consistent changes in climate can be the difference between a healthy river that supports farmers and an empty river which is useless and forces people to move.

This happened to Syria.

Denying that climate change is happening and is affecting humans and is caused by humans is not supported by the facts.

A lot of people don't like the facts but if you were to produce evidence that does not come from a biased source that what you say is correct then I'll listen. You claim, you do not argue.
Nobody will claim that man has not affected climate regionally.    In some cases for the better, in some far fewer cases for the worse.  River flow, though, is not climate.  Smog over China is a good example of regional man made climate change.

We have seen the political discussion slide from AGW to "climate change" and now to "climate disruption".  Generally, this argument is that man has somehow affected "world wide climate" in ways that cause him to experience more harmful effects from weather.  This is not the same argument as regional climate change.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:28:31 AM

well apparently there is a climategate 2 now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2J8zEJHIg8

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:28:37 AM

This simple video is worth all the 45 pages on this thread... Smiley  Thank you for the link.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 01:35:33 AM

Climate change is fucking up a whole lot of people's lives already. It has killed a lot of people. This is not an unsubstantiated claim. During a catastrophic event the extra water may be all that knocked over and killed a lot of people's families. Same thing goes about heatwaves, drying out of certain areas and wild-fires.  We only have one planet so we can't afford to be careless with it.

Just like cigarettes don't cause cancer right because you can't put 2 + 2 together. The evidence is overwhelming.  The only thing not certain is the extent and what to do about it.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:57:28 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 05:09:00 AM by Spendulus

Climate change is fucking up a whole lot of people's lives already. It has killed a lot of people. This is not an unsubstantiated claim. During a catastrophic event the extra water may be all that knocked over and killed a lot of people's families. Same thing goes about heatwaves, drying out of certain areas and wild-fires.  We only have one planet so we can't afford to be careless with it.

Just like cigarettes don't cause cancer right because you can't put 2 + 2 together. The evidence is overwhelming.  The only thing not certain is the extent and what to do about it.
No, the evidence is underwhelming when specific weather events are said to be caused by excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere put there by man.

Floods, droughts, tornados, hurricanes, extreme rain and their extreme versions are part of the climate we have always lived with.

that is false attribution, to claim that man is fully or partly at cause for them....and frankly it seems like act of desperation.

Hundreds of millions of lives would be lost if the global warming alarmists' schemes WERE PUT INTO PLACE.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:13:32 AM

Nice summary of the whole subject and it's many logical inconsistencies.
dwma

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:28:10 AM

This simple video is worth all the 45 pages on this thread... Smiley  Thank you for the link.

Yea, listen to some more of his videos.  He also goes into the evil of vaccines.  Good stuff.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:33:23 AM

Yea, listen to some more of his videos.  He also goes into the evil of vaccines.  Good stuff.

I was responding to that particular video. But he may be wrong while covering other videos. Sure...

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:23:19 AM

I was responding to that particular video. But he may be wrong while covering other videos. Sure...

Of course, there are evils to vaccines, but also good.  Weighing the two has always had difficulties, and many people have erred.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:49:29 AM

Littleshop.  You have logic problems with your posts here.  Here are a couple...

If I was in a message board trying to have a discussion and a small group was yelling about how the earth was flat or 2+2=5 I would want to shut them up too.  Putting up debunked junk journal links proving 2+2=5 that link to further lies does not help. 

False equivalence.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence  You seem to imply that people who doubt AGW theories, or see a political angle are like those who believe 2+2=5.  This is also an oversimplification and a bit of ad hominem.

Just like cigarettes don't cause cancer right because you can't put 2 + 2 together. The evidence is overwhelming.  The only thing not certain is the extent and what to do about it.
  False equivalence again, with ad hominim again, but this time with the added bonus of a strawman.  A hat trick!

You are doing badly.  Try again,
dwma

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:44:04 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 09:25:34 AM by dwma

Littleshop.  You have logic problems with your posts here.  Here are a couple...

If I was in a message board trying to have a discussion and a small group was yelling about how the earth was flat or 2+2=5 I would want to shut them up too.  Putting up debunked junk journal links proving 2+2=5 that link to further lies does not help.  

False equivalence.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence  You seem to imply that people who doubt AGW theories, or see a political angle are like those who believe 2+2=5.  This is also an oversimplification and a bit of ad hominem.

Just like cigarettes don't cause cancer right because you can't put 2 + 2 together. The evidence is overwhelming.  The only thing not certain is the extent and what to do about it.
 False equivalence again, with ad hominim again, but this time with the added bonus of a strawman.  A hat trick!

You are doing badly.  Try again,

Just because you claim false equivalence does not make it so.  For instance, I could accuse you of that logic fallacy in your post.  You are falsely equating his assertion with false equivalence, thereby using it yourself.

Really it comes down to biases for me and what is the underlying cognitive defect of you people to be so nonsensical.  We got 45 pages and Wilky telling us some video is great...  the video by a guy who has issues with vaccines.  Now I'm sure some of you will be like 'hes a free thinker', but a lot of us will be like.. <groan> <facepalm>
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:07:17 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 10:29:50 AM by Spendulus

Littleshop.  You have logic problems with your posts here.  Here are a couple...

If I was in a message board trying to have a discussion and a small group was yelling about how the earth was flat or 2+2=5 I would want to shut them up too.  Putting up debunked junk journal links proving 2+2=5 that link to further lies does not help.  

False equivalence.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence  You seem to imply that people who doubt AGW theories, or see a political angle are like those who believe 2+2=5.  This is also an oversimplification and a bit of ad hominem.

False equivalence again, with ad hominim again, but this time with the added bonus of a strawman.  A hat trick!

Just because you claim false equivalence does not make it so.  For instance, I could accuse you of that logic fallacy in your post.  You are falsely equating his assertion with false equivalence, thereby using it yourself.

Really it comes down to biases for me and what is the underlying cognitive defect of you people to be so nonsensical.  We got 45 pages and Wilky telling us some video is great...  the video by a guy who has issues with vaccines.  Now I'm sure some of you will be like 'hes a free thinker', but a lot of us will be like.. <groan> <facepalm>
Actually, yes it is a false equivalence.  You will find that rules of logic in debate are universally agreed upon.  That is why there can exist things like college debating teams, which have winners, and losers.  Ad hominem, which you mostly use, puts you squarely in the "debate loser category".   Regarding the call of a false equivalence, you can't just claim it is not so.  The burden of proof is on you - you need to go read the definition think up why it isn't a FE and state your reasons for others to review.  When the comparison is the (commonly used) 2+2=5 equivalence argument you will not be able to do this.

Logical fallacies actually work pretty well in politics, and even in common speech, but on text driven Internet forums they ring false.  And that's where we are.  AGW by the way is a common place for discussion of logical arguments because so many of them by the true believers are not at all logical (and yes, a smaller but recognizable group are not logical by the skeptics of the global warming theory-that-is-not-a-theory).
dwma

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:33:48 AM

Actually, yes it is a false equivalence.  You will find that rules of logic in debate are universally agreed upon.  That is why there can exist things like college debating teams, which have winners, and losers.  Ad hominem, which you mostly use, puts you squarely in the "debate loser category".   Regarding the call of a false equivalence, you can't just claim it is not so.  The burden of proof is on you - you need to go read the definition think up why it isn't a FE and state your reasons for others to review.  When the comparison is the (commonly used) 2+2=5 equivalence argument you will not be able to do this.

Logical fallacies actually work pretty well in politics, and even in common speech, but on text driven Internet forums they ring false.  And that's where we are.  AGW by the way is a common place for discussion of logical arguments because so many of them by the true believers are not at all logical (and yes, a smaller but recognizable group are not logical by the skeptics of the global warming theory-that-is-not-a-theory).

tl;dr

Are you the logic professor?

So is every analogy a "false equivalence" ?  lol.

Maybe I should ask again what the basic fallacy with the basic science of man made global warming is, but I'm sure I'll once again hear nothing but crickets.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:02:40 PM

...So we may never share the same love for a particular artist just because we disagree on the subject disputed here? You are telling me I should have watched every single video from that dude, then  agree with every single one of them before agreeing with the one directly linked to the topic at hand in this thread?

Very illogical...

dwma

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:17:13 PM

Although totally free to insult anyone including myself, making a "scientific" point about your position by calling people "retards" or edit your post days later might not be the best or smartest move. I am just saying...

Keep on the good work though. Don't be afraid. Never edit anything back! Be proud of what you defend! Always!  Grin

In this instance the word retard was not referring to anyone in this thread either directly or indirectly.  Someone said something asinine then when I questioned them, they told me they don't tutor for free.  I suggested they wouldn't be able to tutor anyone but retards and since they were keen on charging for their tutoring services they would need retards with money.  I then wished them luck with finding clients.

All editing I do is only for grammatical mistakes or  bungled sentences.  I don't think I've ever changed my opinion on anything as the result of this thread.  I'd like to and I sometimes listen to you guys enough to go chase down your sources, but changing any opinion has yet to happen.

Good job on red herrings and completely avoiding anything relevant.
dwma

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:23:16 PM

...So we may never share the same love for a particular artist just because we disagree on the subject disputed here? You are telling me I should have watched every single video from that dude, then  agree with every single one of them before agreeing with the one directly linked to the topic at hand in this thread?

Very illogical...

Everyone has opinions. When someone has the opinion that vaccines are bad and given the clear record of history, one should question whether their opinions are worth following.  

Since everyone has opinions, you can endlessly listen to opinions all day.  A smart person will find some way to filter which opinions are worth following and which aren't.

When a guy goes off on vaccines, I know which category I'll put him in.  It is the "not worth my time" category.

You can claim this isn't logical or whatever, but frankly I don't give a shit.  This is the same reason you guys are filtered on a certain subreddits.  This is America and if you were completely forced into silence I'd quicky defend your side.  

That is not what is going on here though. What is going on is that people should have a right to live their life free of listening to your bullshit, regardless of your sense of entitlement on the issue.

BTW, music is very subjective and not really particularly analogous to what is going on.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:02:21 PM

...So we may never share the same love for a particular artist just because we disagree on the subject disputed here? You are telling me I should have watched every single video from that dude, then  agree with every single one of them before agreeing with the one directly linked to the topic at hand in this thread?

Very illogical...

Everyone has opinions. When someone has the opinion that vaccines are bad and given the clear record of history, one should question whether their opinions are worth following.  

Since everyone has opinions, you can endlessly listen to opinions all day.  A smart person will find some way to filter which opinions are worth following and which aren't.

When a guy goes off on vaccines, I know which category I'll put him in.  It is the "not worth my time" category.

You can claim this isn't logical or whatever, but frankly I don't give a shit.  This is the same reason you guys are filtered on a certain subreddits.  This is America and if you were completely forced into silence I'd quicky defend your side.  

That is not what is going on here though. What is going on is that people should have a right to live their life free of listening to your bullshit, regardless of your sense of entitlement on the issue.

BTW, music is very subjective and not really particularly analogous to what is going on.

What is going on is that people should have a right to live their life free of listening to your bullshit, regardless of your sense of entitlement on the issue.

Perfect reciprocity Smiley

dwma

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:42:27 PM

What is going on is that people should have a right to live their life free of listening to your bullshit, regardless of your sense of entitlement on the issue.
Perfect reciprocity Smiley

Lol.  Well you should start a subreddit named "/r/ClimateChangeDeniers" or what have you and trust me, I won't show up there. Smiley  Then you guys can kick out anyone who believes in global warming attributed to man.

Also while you are at, create "/r/Smokingdoesntcausecancer"  and possibly "/r/Flatearthsociety"... continue on with "/r/vacinationssuck"

I'll preemptively say thanks for the accolades, but send the tips to the american cancer society, please.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: