Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 11:05:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470668 times)
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:40:20 PM

Yes, a hard fork is what I am suggesting. However, such a move tends to be chaotic and distresses the community which has potential risk in and of itself.

Personally, I feel like this would be the correct move. The changes I would propose are:

Change coin rewards to 5 coins every 1 minute keeping max amount the same (as well as the rate of distribution)
                Change difficulty retarget to every 1440 1 minute blocks (Once every 24 hours)

This leads to much less of these problems with the difficulty and also eliminates the problem of having super long block confirm times.

It will be a risk to do the hard fork but I personally think it is the best thing that can happen to CAT and I have my money where my mouth is as I own almost 6000 CAT myself.

I hope the community will consider these concerns that I have brought up and work together to improve this coin.

Until cat gets a real market for spending your idea is one of the best shots we have of keeping it alive +++++1

Also happy new year

I think it certainly should be considered as an option.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:41:54 PM

Yes, a hard fork is what I am suggesting. However, such a move tends to be chaotic and distresses the community which has potential risk in and of itself.

Personally, I feel like this would be the correct move. The changes I would propose are:

Change coin rewards to 5 coins every 1 minute keeping max amount the same (as well as the rate of distribution)

This leads to much less of these problems with the difficulty and also eliminates the problem of having super long block confirm times.

It will be a risk to do the hard fork but I personally think it is the best thing that can happen to CAT and I have my money where my mouth is as I own almost 6000 CAT myself.

I hope the community will consider these concerns that I have brought up and work together to improve this coin.

Until cat gets a real market for spending your idea is one of the best shots we have of keeping it alive +++++1

Also happy new year

You people are on crack. The coin is fantastic as it is. It's needs promotion now.
It's one of the top performing coins right now.
The miners don't sell the coin - WE DO. The miner's wreck the coin. Forget about miners.

What are you smooookkinngg!! >Huh
atheistftwins

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:44:55 PM

Okay anyways... moving on.
The coin has perfect specs. Let's please focus on promotion now.

I'm happy to discuss any alternative viewpoints, but quite frankly the current situation is that we have >15 minute block times which is very disadvantageous when compared to the altcoin community overall.

Of course I'm not saying we should give up promotion efforts as that is vital to keeping demand high and is something that should continue to occur.

However, if you have any arguments that address my analysis of the demand issue that CAT is currently facing as a result of the long block times, you should state it instead of just claiming that the coin is "perfect".

I welcome any counterarguments you may have as this discussion is necessary to improving the coin.
YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:46:59 PM

Coins are different from the stock market in that there is a projected future cash flow from ownership in shares of companies. Coins are purely a speculative vehicle and thus "corrections" that occur when a stock crashes due to its price way exceeding the fundamental value of the company can not happen in this market. If people truely "believe" that CAT is worth any amount, it will be worth that amount here, there is no cash flow to be concerned about, it's just pure supply demand. Thus "manipulations" don't always lead to a "correction" since once the price goes up, if most people accept that price as the new "correct" price then it is in fact the correct price and there is nothing that they can prove them otherwise. Added to the fact that all these coins have super low market caps and a lot of whales moving in and out and playing the daytrading game means that you can't confidently say price reflect market sentiment even. It's what makes coin investing so risky and fun as well as lucrative.

tl;dr Coins have no cash flows attached to them, thus price doesn't tell you anything about the "value" of the coin at any given time.

That makes it really hard to speculate whether the coin will increase or decrease in value. Do the stock charts bear any indications similar to stock exchange charts?

In big markets like BTC where there are a lot of "chartists" (People who think they can predict stock movement based on historical price movements), it becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy where a shape appears and a bunch of people decide it's time to buy/sell thus moving the price in that direction. In most altcoin markets, this doesn't exist since the market is too small.

In these markets, ONLY supply demand rules over everything else. As people have pointed out correctly in this thread, the fact that there are few coins being mined means that supply is shrinking. If demand is constant or goes up, then yes price will indeed go up.

The problem UNIQUE to CAT is that it's block confirmation times copy that of BTC which as I stated in a previous post is a MISTAKE. You want demand to go UP for price to go up. But as blocktimes increase, people will be LESS inclined to trade CAT instead of say DOGE or Kitteh with much shorter confirm times. Because of the annoyingly long block times, demand is currently stagnating. Having 10 min block times is not a good idea even if it copies BTC because one of the most fundamental improvements altcoin added to crypto was having SHORTER block times, thus this is a regression and not an innovation to go back to 10 min.

If demand doesn't go up because of this inconvenience, and supply continues to shrink. Price will STILL not go up. Instead volume will decrease and slowly CAT will die.

I don't want this event to happen, I pointed it out previously that CAT should have had 5 coin block rewards at 1 minute intervals to compete with other coins. If this can be changed somehow, CAT demand will increase and it will have a chance again.

Have a chance again Huh The coin is one of the top coins in the world now. In just a week.
I think you are trying to crash the price to buy back in.
Nullu

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:47:16 PM

Also happy new year

You people are on crack. The coin is fantastic as it is. It's needs promotion now.

YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:49:46 PM

1    Bitcoin    $ 9,190,715,853    $ 753.96    12,189,925 BTC    $ 20,049,425    -0.56 %    
3    Litecoin    $ 593,851,628    $ 24.29    24,445,792 LTC    $ 7,385,832    -0.42 %    
5    Peercoin    $ 96,377,289    $ 4.59    20,989,839 PPC    $ 640,351    +0.11 %    
7    Namecoin    $ 39,094,682    $ 5.12    7,636,592 NMC    $ 597,430    +0.14 %    
6    Nxt    $ 50,830,373    $ 0.051    999,997,986 NXT*    $ 314,615    +9.28 %    
14    DogeCoin    $ 7,810,898    $ 0.00043    18,175,140,708 DOGE    $ 278,773    +3.43 %    
11    Primecoin    $ 10,631,438    $ 2.79    3,811,027 XPM    $ 189,378    +3.71 %    
8    Quark    $ 27,253,772    $ 0.11    246,942,913 QRK    $ 142,572    -1.09 %    
35    Catcoin    $ 803,693    $ 0.80    1,010,400 CAT    $ 129,934    +17.81 %    
36    LottoCoin    $ 789,051    $ 0.00031    2,552,543,222 LOT    $ 124,877    -28.23 %    
18    NetCoin    $ 4,217,240    $ 0.022    191,229,178 NET    $ 115,055    +49.33 %    
4    MasterCoin    $ 100,964,555    $ 179.28    563,162 MSC*    $ 109,999    -2.33 %

Sorted by volume
http://coinmarketcap.com/

It's about to pass quark and already in top 10 volume in the world. In a week.
It's just BLEW up LOT. Like I said it would. In ONE day.

Nullu

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:50:20 PM

8    Quark    $ 27,253,772    $ 0.11    246,942,913 QRK    $ 142,572    -1.09 %    
35    Catcoin    $ 803,693    $ 0.80    1,010,400 CAT    $ 129,934    +17.81 %    
36    LottoCoin    $ 789,051    $ 0.00031    2,552,543,222 LOT    $ 124,877    -28.23 %

It's about to pass quark and already in top 10 volume in the world. In a week.
It's just BLEW up LOT. Like I said it would. In ONE day.

Where are you getting those figures from?

atheistftwins

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:52:17 PM

Coins are different from the stock market in that there is a projected future cash flow from ownership in shares of companies. Coins are purely a speculative vehicle and thus "corrections" that occur when a stock crashes due to its price way exceeding the fundamental value of the company can not happen in this market. If people truely "believe" that CAT is worth any amount, it will be worth that amount here, there is no cash flow to be concerned about, it's just pure supply demand. Thus "manipulations" don't always lead to a "correction" since once the price goes up, if most people accept that price as the new "correct" price then it is in fact the correct price and there is nothing that they can prove them otherwise. Added to the fact that all these coins have super low market caps and a lot of whales moving in and out and playing the daytrading game means that you can't confidently say price reflect market sentiment even. It's what makes coin investing so risky and fun as well as lucrative.

tl;dr Coins have no cash flows attached to them, thus price doesn't tell you anything about the "value" of the coin at any given time.

That makes it really hard to speculate whether the coin will increase or decrease in value. Do the stock charts bear any indications similar to stock exchange charts?

In big markets like BTC where there are a lot of "chartists" (People who think they can predict stock movement based on historical price movements), it becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy where a shape appears and a bunch of people decide it's time to buy/sell thus moving the price in that direction. In most altcoin markets, this doesn't exist since the market is too small.

In these markets, ONLY supply demand rules over everything else. As people have pointed out correctly in this thread, the fact that there are few coins being mined means that supply is shrinking. If demand is constant or goes up, then yes price will indeed go up.

The problem UNIQUE to CAT is that it's block confirmation times copy that of BTC which as I stated in a previous post is a MISTAKE. You want demand to go UP for price to go up. But as blocktimes increase, people will be LESS inclined to trade CAT instead of say DOGE or Kitteh with much shorter confirm times. Because of the annoyingly long block times, demand is currently stagnating. Having 10 min block times is not a good idea even if it copies BTC because one of the most fundamental improvements altcoin added to crypto was having SHORTER block times, thus this is a regression and not an innovation to go back to 10 min.

If demand doesn't go up because of this inconvenience, and supply continues to shrink. Price will STILL not go up. Instead volume will decrease and slowly CAT will die.

I don't want this event to happen, I pointed it out previously that CAT should have had 5 coin block rewards at 1 minute intervals to compete with other coins. If this can be changed somehow, CAT demand will increase and it will have a chance again.

Have a chance again Huh The coin is one of the top coins in the world now. In just a week.

The reason this was not an issue before this last retarget is due to the fact that previously the difficulty cap kept block times very short (2-5 min in the last two retargets). This is comparable to altcoins as a whole and incentivizes MORE miners to continue mining instead of less. Right now the difficulty/price is such that it incentivizes miners to leave instead of new ones to come.

This is a pivotal moment in this coin and the community needs to actually come to terms with the problem instead of brushing it under the rug and claiming that promotion is the only way to increase the value of the coin.

We can not ignore the miners since they also play a vital role in a crypto ecosystem. It must be properly balanced so that the interests of the investors line up with the interests of the miners.

I am certainly not trying to crash the coin. I have thousands of dollars currently invested in it and if it crashes it would be disasterous for me. I am trying to improve the coin so that it remains competitive with other altcoins, more of which pop out every day.
Bigeyeone

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:54:26 PM

Block times need to go up ASAP, you guys need to all point your miners at this coin and start to promote the heck out of mining catcoin and explain why it should be mined even though it is not the most profitable coin to mine at this moment

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
strelok369

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:55:37 PM

BTC is about 2 weeks diff retarget. It's strong market stabilisation
mechanism (but if we already have stabilized market(people belive in coin)).
As long as killer for starting coins. If we have diff retarget every 24 hours we
lose that mechanism, but it's simple to start. Block time 10mins, yes, it's not
so good. I think there is need in leaving lagre period of market low-pass
filther(2 weeks, yes it kills starting coins) by correcting block reward somehow,
but making technical low-pass more fast (2.5 mins block time 24 hours target
diff recalc).

But there is bad for simplicyty of understanding reward system.
Look at the lottocoin or earthcoin: this is the devil in a snuffbox
instead of transfer system. And the most awful is to fix the
mechanism in it's work: there will be more problems, which can totally
destroy hope in this coin.

block times need to go up ASAP, you guys need to all point your miners at this coin and start to promote the heck out of mining catcoin and explain why it should be mined even though it the most profitable coin to mine at this moment

+1
Nullu

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:56:00 PM

The reason this was not an issue before this last retarget is due to the fact that previously the difficulty cap kept block times very short (2-5 min in the last two retargets). This is comparable to altcoins as a whole and incentivizes MORE miners to continue mining instead of less. Right now the difficulty/price is such that it incentivizes miners to leave instead of new ones to come.

This is a pivotal moment in this coin and the community needs to actually come to terms with the problem instead of brushing it under the rug and claiming that promotion is the only way to increase the value of the coin.

We can not ignore the miners since they also play a vital role in a crypto ecosystem. It must be properly balanced so that the interests of the investors line up with the interests of the miners.

I am certainly not trying to crash the coin. I have thousands of dollars currently invested in it and if it crashes it would be disasterous for me. I am trying to improve the coin so that it remains competitive with other altcoins, more of which pop out every day.

I do see the point you're trying to make. It also slows down transaction times, correct? If the amount of hashpower doesn't increase significantly after the next difficulty increase, what sort of block times would we expect?

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:57:51 PM

The miners don't sell the coin - WE DO. The miner's wreck the coin. Forget about miners.

if this guy does the promotion, catcoin is fucked.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
ubermoose

Activity: 29

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:58:49 PM

I do see the point you're trying to make. It also slows down transaction times, correct? If the amount of hashpower doesn't increase significantly after the next difficulty increase, what sort of block times would we expect?

There wouldn't be an increase at the moment. The difficulty would decrease to bring the block time back to 10 minutes.
Nullu

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:00:30 PM

if this guy does the promotion, catcoin is fucked.

zerodrama

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:00:57 PM

The value of CATCOIN is in replacing the BITCOIN circle jerk with an equivalent coin over an algorithm that encourages better distribution of hashing power.

I will fork CATCOIN myself to stay as is if it changes. Not even joking.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:02:15 PM

Roll Eyes

atheistftwins

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:02:21 PM

At this current point in time, the difficulty will not increase during the next retarget. It will go down again in order to try to line up with the target of 10 minute block times. My point is that 10 minute block times are way too high to remain competitive in the altcoin market.

Bitcoin makes it work ONLY because it is the first. It has the power of hype and mainstream publicity to keep the prices high. We are not like that, we need to be innovative and IMPROVE upon bitcoin in order to compete against it.

Yes, we should continue to promote CAT but we should be able to say to potential investors WHY we are better than bitcoin and as a result why they should invest in it.

Very short difficulty retargets also DON'T destabilize the coin, it STABILIZES it. The goal of a difficulty retarget is to keep the block times according to target. The shorter the retarget, the less likely we have situations where difficulty is very low compared to price and a HUGE amount of miners rush in pushing block times extremely low, then when it retargets, a HUGE amount rush out leaving blocktimes painfully high.

The shorter the retarget, the more it keeps in line with that. If nothing else, and the community is REALLY against making block times shorter than 10 minutes, at the very least change the retarget block count so we don't repeat the problem we are having right now.
Nullu

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:02:50 PM

The value of CATCOIN is in replacing the BITCOIN circle jerk with an equivalent coin over an algorithm that encourages better distribution of hashing power.

Those are pretty strong words. So you think the Bitcoin model will work for Catcoin similar to the early days of Bitcoin before ASICs?

kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

Those are pretty strong words. So you think the Bitcoin model will work for Catcoin similar to the early days of Bitcoin before ASICs?
generals that prepare to fight the last war...

strelok369

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:04:18 PM

Forking NOW kills it. Without a chance of returning.
We need promotion, but not as strong as where it goes on cryptsy (hashrate x4 before diff recalc).
Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: