Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2019, 12:34:27 PM *
News: Help collect the most notable posts made over the last 10 years.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SKY] Skycoin Launch Announcement  (Read 379251 times)
Tuku

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:02:04 AM

Hey man, you are right about one thing that I had not thought through.  Sub and Sky are not in competition they are complimentary to each other, my bad, my ignorance. 

I do hope the Sky project succeeds, I am all about decentralization.

The red flags surrounding this coin are out of control however.  Please do more of your own research into why this coin is more than risky to invest in.

I am just trying to help people think before they act.  People deserve to hear all sides of the argument.  I respect your position on this coin, I hope you can respect my reticence. 

I can go ahead and list out all of the red flags that I see if you would like me to make a more concrete position of my own.

Lets just start with a "miner" that costs consumers 1 BTC and it is made of PI computers!  I mean like wow...   That machine could only cost about $600 dollars to produce, tell me that is not SUPER SCAMMY?!

Also usually in a well respected development team, they use real names and you can look them and their work up on Linkedin, like you can with all the devs from Substratum...   ...Because they are real people with real work history.

Best of luck to Sky community, if this project isn't total bullshit, I will be surprised, and I will invest myself at that time.

Apologies for being rude, just trying to avoid more Bitconnect like bullshit in this space.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin Forum is turning 10 years old! Join the community in sharing and exploring the notable posts made over the years.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Neversettle

Activity: 308
Merit: 13

ZetoChain - ACCELERATING BLOCKCHAIN FOR THE SUPPLY

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

Hey man, you are right about one thing that I had not thought through.  Sub and Sky are not in competition they are complimentary to each other, my bad, my ignorance. 

The red flags surrounding this coin are out of control however.  Please do more of your own research into why this coin is more than risky to invest in.

I am just trying to help people think before they act.  People deserve to hear all sides of the argument.  I respect your position on this coin, I hope you can respect my reticence. 

I can go ahead and list out all of the red flags that I see if you would like me to make a more concrete position of my own.

Lets just start with a "miner" that costs consumers 1 BTC and it is made of PI computers!  I mean like wow...   That machine could only cost about $600 dollars to produce, tell me that is not SUPER SCAMMY?!

Also usually in a well respected development team, they use real names and you can look them and their work up on Linkedin, like you can with all the devs from Substratum...   ...Because they are real people with real work history.

Best of luck to Sky community, if this project isn't total bullshit, I will be surprised, and I will invest myself at that time.

Apologies for being rude, just trying to avoid more Bitconnect like bullshit in this space.

There won´t be something like Bitconnect with SKY. Just look at the development and you won´t be dissapointed.

Exister

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 01:07:04 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2018, 03:48:57 PM by Exister

Hey man, you are right about one thing that I had not thought through.  Sub and Sky are not in competition they are complimentary to each other, my bad, my ignorance.  

The red flags surrounding this coin are out of control however.  Please do more of your own research into why this coin is more than risky to invest in.

I am just trying to help people think before they act.  People deserve to hear all sides of the argument.  I respect your position on this coin, I hope you can respect my reticence.  

Thank you for making the effort to clearly present your concerns about this project. I will answer this and any other specific concerns you care to elaborate in this thread. Freedom of speech is necessary for us to communicate in order to reach a constructive result from any disagreement. Alternatives only lead to destruction.

Doing your own research is the one solid bit of financial advice that ought to be offered without any disclaimer. However, Skycoin is a very complex project of broad scope. It is not surprising that cautious investors like yourself have experienced frustration trying to implement due dilligence.

Lets just start with a "miner" that costs consumers 1 BTC and it is made of PI computers!  I mean like wow...   That machine could only cost about $600 dollars to produce, tell me that is not SUPER SCAMMY?!

The first 300 Skyminers have shipped already. They went to satisfied investors who paid 1 BTC each as follows.

Quote from: Skycoin project
Skyminer Pricing Details:
The unit price of one Skyminer is 1 BTC. The approximate cost breakdown is as follows:
1. Hardware cost - 0.05 BTC
2. Shipping cost - 0.005 BTC
3. SKY Rebate - 0.945 BTC (This amount will be returned to the buyer as a rebate in Skycoin. The total of 450 SKY will be given based on the following conversion: 1 SKY = 0.0021 BTC)

This worked fine for the first 300 and official Skyminers are guaranteed to be whitelisted for the testnet. Whitelisting is a technical necessity for the testnet to do its job. There are currently over 4000 people on the waiting list to buy Skywire miners, but it has been deemed unsatisfactory to charge a full 1 BTC for a Skyminer and the rebate is problematic because they can't consist of market buys and it can create an incentive to dump. The prices for official Skyminers are expected to be adjusted lower as we proceed, and the ability to buy Skyminers and other hardware such as antennas with Skycoin instead of BTC is being strongly considered.

The most important thing to understand is that specs for the device have always been public and we have always been encouraging everyone to build their own DIY miners. There is an active user community engaged in this on Skywug forum. https://skywug.net/forum/index.php
Go there for howtos and support.

Decentralization is exemplified by DIY spirit and the emergence of grassroots communities that help participants learn and share their achievements.

Also usually in a well respected development team, they use real names and you can look them and their work up on Linkedin, like you can with all the devs from Substratum...   ...Because they are real people with real work history.

First of all, Skycoin is not an ICO. It long predates the era of the ICO boom that peaked in mid 2017. A feature of ICOs is heavy marketing and cultivation of an air of legitimacy to such projects. Revealing the identities of all or some team members if a popular tactic to those ends.  

Satoshi Nakamoto is a pseudonym. His identity has been well hidden and for good reason. Any who would stand in the way of global financial hedgemony must fear for their safety. If Satoshi Nakamoto were known, he would have been kidnapped, tortured, and Bitcoin would never have become what it is today.

Nowadays, the Pandora's box has been opened, and cryptocurrency enjoys a basic establishment status in history. The progression from then to now has occured over less than a decade. Anyone who knew what lengths the jealous financial hedgemony might go to if they understood the meaning of crypto would be more likely to hide their identity then than now.

Skycoin was officially founded back in 2012, only 3 years since the launch of Bitcoin, and one year prior to the Snowden revelations. Edward Snowden merely popularized the notion that the NSA was spying on everything you do online. That the human right of privacy was being violated globally without consent or accountability was already well known among the cypherpunk community from whence cryptocurrency was born.

It is only natural that the founders of Skycoin chose to remain anonymous at the time, and over the years they have retained their preference to stay out of the limelight. This is not something exclusive to Skycoin. The most well regarded cryptocurrency projects today include many anonymous developers and often, it is the same people who have anonymously made important contributions to many projects.

The privacy of man has come under heavy attack in modern times. The general population may have been at first outraged to learn that their privacy was being violated online by governments and corporations. But they just kept doing it, so the populations have turned to trying to cope with their diminished lot in life. Privacy is the intellectual counterpart to physical property, one of the things that an individual human being must be permitted in order to protect their lives and the lives of their family. The human individual is vulnerable, and civilized society has learned to protect, rather to prey upon the vulnerable. The very notion that desire for privacy is indicative of wrongdoing or ill designs is a barbaric influence that seeks to strip away the ability of one to control their exposure to the whims of the powerful or the many.

If you investigate the identities of Synth, Steve and Chen Houwu, you will find answers. They have, albeit reluctantly, had their identities revealed online. I would hope that the crypto community will remain respectful to them and others who wish to retain some semblance of privacy.  

Your final concern here is specifically the applicability of the label "scam". The goal of a scam is to make victims of and profit off of vulnerable investors who were either lied to or failed to do their due dilligence. In order to make such an operation profitable, the project must have a short incubation period, generate revenue fast, and feed almost entirely into marketing to reach their goal of exit as fast as possible. ICOs are the perfect vehicle for such scams. Scams thrive in a bull market and it is essential to exit prior to the the start of a bear market.

I think that there are many scams in the this cryptocurrency environment, but the current bear market is not very conducive to their business model.

Skycoin does not fit any of the criteria that makes for a good scam. It is either an incredibly poorly executed scam, or a legitimate project.

Please continue to present any specific red flags about Skycoin that you can think of so that i may address each of them.

Finally, would you do me a favor and refrain from editing the subject line of your post in this thread because it causes replies to your post to inherit the subject line by default?

sirbin2000

Activity: 36

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 11:09:09 PM

Hey man, you are right about one thing that I had not thought through.  Sub and Sky are not in competition they are complimentary to each other, my bad, my ignorance.  

The red flags surrounding this coin are out of control however.  Please do more of your own research into why this coin is more than risky to invest in.

I am just trying to help people think before they act.  People deserve to hear all sides of the argument.  I respect your position on this coin, I hope you can respect my reticence.  

Thank you for making the effort to clearly present your concerns about this project. I will answer this and any other specific concerns you care to elaborate in this thread. Freedom of speech is necessary for us to communicate in order to reach a constructive result from any disagreement. Alternatives only lead to destruction.

Doing your own research is the one solid bit of financial advice that ought to be offered without any disclaimer. However, Skycoin is a very complex project of broad scope. It is not surprising that cautious investors like yourself have experienced frustration trying to implement due dilligence.

Lets just start with a "miner" that costs consumers 1 BTC and it is made of PI computers!  I mean like wow...   That machine could only cost about $600 dollars to produce, tell me that is not SUPER SCAMMY?!

The first 300 Skyminers have shipped already. They went to satisfied investors who paid 1 BTC each as follows.

Quote from: Skycoin project
Skyminer Pricing Details:
The unit price of one Skyminer is 1 BTC. The approximate cost breakdown is as follows:
1. Hardware cost - 0.05 BTC
2. Shipping cost - 0.005 BTC
3. SKY Rebate - 0.945 BTC (This amount will be returned to the buyer as a rebate in Skycoin. The total of 450 SKY will be given based on the following conversion: 1 SKY = 0.0021 BTC)

This worked fine for the first 300 and official Skyminers are guaranteed to be whitelisted for the testnet. Whitelisting is a technical necessity for the testnet to do its job. There are currently over 4000 people on the waiting list to buy Skywire miners, but it has been deemed unsatisfactory to charge a full 1 BTC for a Skyminer and the rebate is problematic because they can't consist of market buys and it can create an incentive to dump. The prices for official Skyminers are expected to be adjusted lower as we proceed, and the ability to buy Skyminers and other hardware such as antennas with Skycoin instead of BTC is being strongly considered.

The most important thing to understand is that specs for the device have always been public and we have always been encouraging everyone to build their own DIY miners. There is an active user community engaged in this on Skywug forum. https://skywug.net/forum/index.php
Go there for howtos and support.

Decentralization is exemplified by DIY spirit and the emergence of grassroots communities that help participants learn and share their achievements.

Also usually in a well respected development team, they use real names and you can look them and their work up on Linkedin, like you can with all the devs from Substratum...   ...Because they are real people with real work history.

First of all, Skycoin is not an ICO. It long predates the era of the ICO boom that peaked in mid 2017. A feature of ICOs is heavy marketing and cultivation of an air of legitimacy to such projects. Revealing the identities of all or some team members if a popular tactic to those ends.  

Satoshi Nakamoto is a pseudonym. His identity has been well hidden and for good reason. Any who would stand in the way of global financial hedgemony must fear for their safety. If Satoshi Nakamoto were known, he would have been kidnapped, tortured, and Bitcoin would never have become what it is today.

Nowadays, the Pandora's box has been opened, and cryptocurrency enjoys a basic establishment status in history. The progression from then to now has occured over less than a decade. Anyone who knew what lengths the jealous financial hedgemony might go to if they understood the meaning of crypto would be more likely to hide their identity then than now.

Skycoin was officially founded back in 2012, only 3 years since the launch of Bitcoin, and one year prior to the Snowden revelations. Edward Snowden merely popularized the notion that the NSA was spying on everything you do online. That the human right of privacy was being violated globally without consent or accountability was already well known among the cypherpunk community from whence cryptocurrency was born.

It is only natural that the founders of Skycoin chose to remain anonymous at the time, and over the years they have retained their preference to stay out of the limelight. This is not something exclusive to Skycoin. The most well regarded cryptocurrency projects today include many anonymous developers and often, it is the same people who have anonymously made important contributions to many projects.

The privacy of man has come under heavy attack in modern times. The general population may have been at first outraged to learn that their privacy was being violated online by governments and corporations. But they just kept doing it, so the populations have turned to trying to cope with their diminished lot in life. Privacy is the intellectual counterpart to physical property, one of the things that an individual human being must be permitted in order to protect their lives and the lives of their family. The human individual is vulnerable, and civilized society has learned to protect, rather to prey upon the vulnerable. The very notion that desire for privacy is indicative of wrongdoing or ill designs is a barbaric influence that seeks to strip away the ability of one to control their exposure to the whims of the powerful or the many.

If you investigate the identities of Synth, Steve and Chen Houwu, you will find answers. They have, albeit reluctantly, had their identities revealed online. I would hope that the crypto community will remain respectful to them and others who wish to retain some semblance of privacy.  

Your final concern here is specifically the applicability of the label "scam". The goal of a scam is to make victims of and profit off of vulnerable investors who were either lied to or failed to do their due dilligence. In order to make such an operation profitable, the project must have a short incubation period, generate revenue fast, and feed almost entirely into marketing to reach their goal of exit as fast as possible. ICOs are the perfect vehicle for such scams. Scams thrive in a bull market and it is essential to exit prior to the the start of a bear market.

I think that there are many scams in the this cryptocurrency environment, but the current bear market is not very conducive to their business model.

Skycoin does not fit any of the criteria that makes for a good scam. It is either an incredibly poorly executed scam, or a legitimate project.

Please continue to present any specific red flags about Skycoin that you can think of so that i may address each of them.

Finally, would you do me a favor and refrain from editing the subject line of your post in this thread because it causes replies to your post to inherit the subject line by default?

What a great reply. I can't believe people are still calling sky a scam, but are buying into p&d junk erc20 icos LOL. It just proves how big this is and how people are doing everything they can to stop it. The train has left though and there is no slowing it down now!
BtcVolcano

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 09:28:20 AM

Ha, I finally got my SKY coins off Cryptopia which, unfortunately, is now a 3rd rate exchange...
It's only a matter of time before a major like Binance lists SKY.

In order to get to Binance, the project needs a working product. I think it could happen after testnet. But will the team want to spend money on placing on Binance? Huh
   But why? It seems to me not all coins which receive addition of a coin at the binance exchange have a working product. Besides not many projects find also real application in life. The main thing to have cash to pay how many the exchange and enough voices which demonstrates how many in community of people wants.
Exister

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 04:08:55 PM

this project provides a very complete information, and made good progress, your development is very good, I am really want very much to join this project, first I will bookmark, and find out more, I hope it will go very well.

Here is a series of articles by Chris of Footballelixir, it represents a treasure trove of collected knowledge about the Skycoin project. Everything is presented in an easy to read style with exceptional clarity and annotations are provided.
https://christianott.co/skycoin/

With the launch of the revamped Website, Skycoin has published its Business Whitepaper. This new whitepaper is a companion to existing Skycoin documentation and focuses on introducing the many features of Skycoin while explaining the rationale behind them. It is intended for a general audience.
https://www.skycoin.net/skycoin_whitepaper.pdf

I consider both of these to be essential reading to get started with the process of due dilligence. Feel free to post any questions that come to mind while researching.
sirbin2000

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 07:04:53 PM

Ha, I finally got my SKY coins off Cryptopia which, unfortunately, is now a 3rd rate exchange...
It's only a matter of time before a major like Binance lists SKY.

In order to get to Binance, the project needs a working product. I think it could happen after testnet. But will the team want to spend money on placing on Binance? Huh
   But why? It seems to me not all coins which receive addition of a coin at the binance exchange have a working product. Besides not many projects find also real application in life. The main thing to have cash to pay how many the exchange and enough voices which demonstrates how many in community of people wants.

Skycoin already has many working products, the coin and transactions are a top contender with the free and instant transactions. The Fiber platform already has over 30 other projects. Skywire is just one of many applications in the Skycoin ecosystem. So when you say it does not have a working product you are wrong. It has better products than any other coin out there, and will only be better once Skywire is running.
Sanderion

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io/

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:40:53 PM

Any news about testnet and how to get in whitelist? There was information that testnet will start in March. Something changed?

david.Bauman

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:20:43 PM

https://tothemoon.live/?IsPast=False&Page=1&Month=0&Year=0&CoinTypes=Skycoin+%28SKY%29&SortBy=0
Hey everyone! Good news from skycoin
The Skycoin team is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a special event in Shanghai, China on Tuesday, April 10th
i`ll hodl this coin Smiley
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 03:46:13 AM

skycoin is one of the few coins have the good tech
mrmin007

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2018, 12:13:51 PM

Just found out about Skycoin. Very ambitious tech. Will be watching this one closely!
bivins1

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 10:06:29 PM

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@bivins1/why-skycoin-will-grow-higher-in-value-than-bitcoin
Bazzzil86

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 06:13:23 AM

Today will be a launch or just conference about launch  Huh

https://tothemoon.live/?IsPast=False&Page=1&Month=0&Year=0&CoinTypes=Skycoin+%28SKY%29&SortBy=0

Neversettle

Activity: 308
Merit: 13

ZetoChain - ACCELERATING BLOCKCHAIN FOR THE SUPPLY

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 08:26:10 AM

you can join telegram or follow twitter for the newest infos about the ongoing conference

Exister

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:34:59 PM

Over 60 tweets on April 10th for the Skycoin ecosystem launch conference in Shanghai. Additional coverage of the event will be forthcoming, so visit the twitter and telegram channel to keep up to date.
https://twitter.com/Skycoinproject
https://t.me/Skycoin

you can join telegram or follow twitter for the newest infos about the ongoing conference

This is an ecosystem launch conference. Skycoin is a cryptocurrency project for which the launch announcement was announced on this very forum thread way back in December of 2013. But by itself, a cryptocurrency lacks what it takes to bring global mass adoption.

The Skycoin ecosystem uses flexible and scalable fiber blockchain architecture made possible by Obelisk to provide the benefits of advanced blockchain technology to industry and other areas of innovative endeavor.

Many projects are being built on this platform among which were showcased during the conference. These projects go beyond software engineering to develop hardware for better efficiency and security of their systems. The proliferation of hardware infrastructure in the ecosystem represents concrete economic growth, implies deeper longterm investment, and it's happening today.  

Skycoin's killer application is the decentralized and incentivized software defined network, Skywire. It is supported by the Skyminer box mining rig and powerful directed antennas will be used to create physical connections across distances. Unlike 5g towers, these antennas do not constantly track mobile devices and are thus safe for the public.

one question to Developers, what is the maximum amount planed to be collected during the ICO?

Although there may be many ICO fundraising campaigns for various fiber projects, there is no ICO for Skycoin. Skycoin is the main coin of the ecosystem because all modern technology relies on telecommunications and Skywire will provide the foundation for these projects to reach their true potential.

Skycoin does not need ICO funding because it is an established project with ample funding and strict coin distribution rules designed to prevent the centralization of supply.
quazi747

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 04:20:22 PM

SKY coin price recently increase...So we should buy big quantity. Its also a good project...
jxid

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 06:35:20 PM

SKY coin price recently increase...So we should buy big quantity. Its also a good project...

I've been buying every day for the past couple months. This is probably the best project being actively built right now in crypto for various reasons.
roboadvisorcoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

Daily AI cryptos forecasts

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2018, 10:12:18 AM

Skycoin is on our RoboAdvisor's  top fifty today, due to its upside probability of 57.03% and an expected return of >+30% for the next month.
Soon we will offer the possibility to bet on the trend of this token.

chompyZ

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 04:22:27 PM

I must admit that the transaction speed of Skycoin is really amazing.
I don't know how it is made possible, but it is really a good feature.
What I worried the most at this point is that Skycoin might never drop to a much lower price.

I'm a bit confused here as well.

What is the current ACTUAL state of Obelisk?  
Is is -
1. Theoretical (POC)
2. Implemented on Testnet only (Release Candidate)
3. Implemented on Skycoin block chain (Production)

I'd appreciate an answer from OP, or a skycoin dev that knows this firsthand.
I ask bcs in the telegram channel, skycoin dev named Steve said that Obelisk is NOT implemented yet, and consensus is achieved by a masternode.  

If #3 holds (contrary to what was said in telegram), why the masternode, and is the masternode open-sourced (link/source plz).  
If #2 holds, we are basically completely centralized right now...? When is the Obelisk launch ETA and roadmap?  
I would highly value elaboration on these points.  

Chat screenshot:  https://pasteboard.co/Hgii1nf.jpg.

Exister

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 10:43:57 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2018, 12:35:41 AM by Exister

I must admit that the transaction speed of Skycoin is really amazing.
I don't know how it is made possible, but it is really a good feature.
What I worried the most at this point is that Skycoin might never drop to a much lower price.

I'm a bit confused here as well.

What is the current ACTUAL state of Obelisk?  
Is is -
1. Theoretical (POC)
2. Implemented on Testnet only (Release Candidate)
3. Implemented on Skycoin block chain (Production)

I'd appreciate an answer from OP, or a skycoin dev that knows this firsthand.
I ask bcs in the telegram channel, skycoin dev named Steve said that Obelisk is NOT implemented yet, and consensus is achieved by a masternode.  

If #3 holds (contrary to what was said in telegram), why the masternode, and is the masternode open-sourced (link/source plz).  
If #2 holds, we are basically completely centralized right now...? When is the Obelisk launch ETA and roadmap?  
I would highly value elaboration on these points.  

Chat screenshot:  https://pasteboard.co/Hgii1nf.jpg.

This is a very good question, I will do my best to answer you thoroughly.

The Obelisk consensus algorithm is for me the most exciting thing about Skycoin. I wish it were able to be implemented as the top priority item, but there are good reasons why this is not the case. When implemented, Obelisk will be faster, and of course far more scalable than a masternode solution. It is also flexible, being able to use the web of trust filtering to force the consensus network into federated, consortium, or private modes. This allows fiber blockchains to satisfy many use cases where regulations would otherwise prevent adoption of the technology.

Obelisk is real. The Obelisk consensus algorithm is based on Ben-Or's randomized asynchronous consensus algorithm for distributed systems that was proposed in 1983. Subsequently in 2012, a proof of byzantine fault tolerance under 50% attack was published. It can be used in conjunction with web of trust filtering to boost attack resistance in excess of 80%.

Obelisk has been tested in simulations, details of which are found in the Obelisk academic whitepaper at:
https://github.com/skycoin/whitepapers/blob/master/whitepaper_skycoin_consensus_v01_jsm.pdf
Details of an earlier version with simulation results are found at:
https://github.com/skycoin/whitepapers/blob/master/Sky-%20Opinion%20Dynamics%20Based%20Consensus%20for%20P2P%20Network%20with%20Trust%20Relationships.pdf

Skycoin's Obelisk implementation will be for a public blockchain where maximum decentralization is desired. The ease of participation and removal of block rewards will ensure that the consensus nodes have greatly diminished incentive to collude to the detriment of the network. Activation of Obelisk will require a hardfork but since the network uses masternodes there is zero chance of it being contentious.

The next generation of consensus algorithms are being held back by conservative policies of crypto exchanges. They see them as unproven, and while historically consensus algorithm malfunction of sorts has occured; the only cryptocurrency mishaps of massive significance were ones involving crypto exchanges and none of those involved malfunction of a consensus algo. In fact, it can be very well argued that current industry standard consensus algorithms are in a perpetual state of catastrophic malfunction, including those not related to cryptocurrency at all.  

This has forced many projects that seek to introduce an alternative consensus algorithm to use masternodes instead, effectively placing the implementation of the consensus algorithm on the back burner. Considering this environmental impediment imposed by exchanges, it is sensible to place priority of other important development goals ahead of Obelisk.

This situation with conservative exchange policies will eventually change. Top ten coins such as Neo and Iota are also affected by this requirement, and Skycoin is soon to become as influential as any coin on the market. Other projects will seek to implement similar consensus algorithms to Skycoin and its many fiber projects; and before long, Obelisk will be operating in the wild.

Finally, it may cause concern to many that the current state of Skycoin is centralized due to the masternodes. It is important to note that there are different types of centralization exhibited in cryptocurrencies. Centralization of consensus algorithm, centralization of coin supply, and centralization of development. The negative consequences of centralization manifest in a way similar to disease by the emergence of perverse incentives and consequently corrupt behavior. Of the three varieties of centralization, development is bound by the strictures of rigorous engineering. The necessity of competent performance tends to limit the emergence of perverse incentives. Since in Skycoin, centralization of coin supply and masternode consensus lies with the very development team engaged in its engineering, the necessity of competent performance extends to their behavior in regards to their handling of the coin supply and block consensus. By studying the Skycoin project, its history, and its ethos, one can gain a measure of its development team members whom i hold in the highest esteem.

tl;dr
Obelisk will be revolutionary. Masternodes are used by many projects because it is a requirement to listing on big risk averse exchanges. True decentralization does not exist in any cryptocurrency because of the requirement to have developers. The devs are devoted to Skycoin and they are the last people who would seek to sabotage their own project.
Pages: « 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.