Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:26:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276302 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
reader31

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:19:06 PM

happy to donate some BTC to have this sorted -
I saw that it was approx 0.5% of total value needed from the community - is this correct?
Happily double that

although i did like the idea of a lottery
is that still happening?

I am currently in talks to co-develop one.
Speaking with the developers first.
Will have an update on that later today.

cool...I would buy tickets in the raffle as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bellebite2014

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:20:47 PM

Too bad then that making the protocol robust and secure is a second priority for the core devs.

Are you serious Huh??

The reported issue has been fixed within HOURS, with tons of extra commits coming in on a daily basis.

Once again, this is WEEKS old code, what did you expect ? You didn't read the disclaimer ? Would you have shared the profits from your cheap coins ? No. So be even happy some people are considering a way to make it up to everyone. Greedy people shouldn't play with daddy's toys...

And please give me a break with all the community messages BS. NO ONE knows about XCP, again, we are weeks old. The only message there, is that a critical flaw for a weeks old code has been fixed within hours. If some people were stupid enough to invest that much and believe that Xmas was also happening in February, I am not even sorry for them. I can just say thank you for being a guinea pig. What is a real poison for the community, is your lack of recognition of the amazing devs that we have. You played, you lost. Man up and let's all move on. Thanks.
mynxtcoin

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:23:44 PM

I updated the client from the git repository

now it says that "market" is invalid

C:\Windows\System32>C:\Python32\python.exe c:\counterpartyd_build\run.py market
usage: counterpartyd [-h] [-V] [-v] [--force] [--testnet] [--testcoin]
                     [--unsigned] [--data-dir DATA_DIR]
                     [--database-file DATABASE_FILE]
                     [--config-file CONFIG_FILE] [--log-file LOG_FILE]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-connect BITCOIND_RPC_CONNECT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-port BITCOIND_RPC_PORT]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-user BITCOIND_RPC_USER]
                     [--bitcoind-rpc-password BITCOIND_RPC_PASSWORD]
                     [--rpc-host RPC_HOST] [--rpc-port RPC_PORT]
                     [--rpc-user RPC_USER] [--rpc-password RPC_PASSWORD]

{server,potentials,send,order,btcpay,issuance,broadcast,bet,dividend,burn,cancel,callback,balances,asset,wallet,pending,reparse,rollback}
counterpartyd: error: argument action: invalid choice: 'market' (choose from 'server', 'potentials', 'send', 'order', 'btcpay', 'issuance', 'broadcast', 'bet', 'dividend', 'burn', 'cancel', 'callback', 'balances', 'asset', 'wallet', 'pending', 'reparse', 'rollback')

The market command was removed in an earlier update. For now, it's best to use blockscan in its place, as the GUIs emerge.

Is there any possibility of getting it back? The command line works OK in lieu of a gui.
I'm not interested in using a central exchange, and was surprised when people flocked over to one, when the purpose of XCP is a decentralized exchange.

danonthehill

Activity: 710
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:30:37 PM

Too bad then that making the protocol robust and secure is a second priority for the core devs.

Are you serious Huh??

The reported issue has been fixed within HOURS, with tons of extra commits coming in on a daily basis.

Once again, this is WEEKS old code, what did you expect ? You didn't read the disclaimer ? Would you have shared the profits from your cheap coins ? No. So be even happy some people are considering a way to make it up to everyone. Greedy people shouldn't play with daddy's toys...

And please give me a break with all the community messages BS. NO ONE knows about XCP, again, we are weeks old. The only message there, is that a critical flaw for a weeks old code has been fixed within hours. If some people were stupid enough to invest that much and believe that Xmas was also happening in February, I am not even sorry for them. I can just say thank you for being a guinea pig. What is a real poison for the community, is your lack of recognition of the amazing devs that we have. You played, you lost. Man up and let's all move on. Thanks.

Calling him/her a "Greedy...guinea pig".  Are you for real? He/she bought the coins on the open market at what was the current market price.

Some people on this thread have no clue how this is being perceived by others in the crypto community who do not already have a vested interest in XCP, or how it will be perceived by people in the real world for that matter.
Bellebite2014

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:35:04 PM

Are you serious Huh??

Calling him/her a "Greedy...guinea pig".  Are you for real? He/she bought the coins on the open market at what was the current market price.

Some people on this thread have no clue how this is being perceived by others in the crypto community who do not already have a vested interest in XCP, or how it will be perceived by people in the real world for that matter.

Yes. I am for real, and I am not in to make a quick buck after a few weeks. People should know better. Who cares to be at such an early stage on a centralized exchange, and then on coinmarketcap whatever ? You wanted it. Then, there you go, you have it. Assume your actions, or don't come here and cry like a french girl. I lost money with the facebook IPO, I will call Wall Street ! Yeah, sure... Again, don't play with daddy's toys if you don't know what you are doing. So yes, greedy guinea pigs.

PS : My XCP will stay on their birth addresses for at least a few months, until everything is under control and properly advertised. 
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:42:40 PM

{server,potentials,send,order,btcpay,issuance,broadcast,bet,dividend,burn,cancel,callback,balances,asset,wallet,pending,reparse,rollback}
counterpartyd: error: argument action: invalid choice: 'market' (choose from 'server', 'potentials', 'send', 'order', 'btcpay', 'issuance', 'broadcast', 'bet', 'dividend', 'burn', 'cancel', 'callback', 'balances', 'asset', 'wallet', 'pending', 'reparse', 'rollback')

The market command was removed in an earlier update. For now, it's best to use blockscan in its place, as the GUIs emerge.

Is there any possibility of getting it back? The command line works OK in lieu of a gui.
I'm not interested in using a central exchange, and was surprised when people flocked over to one, when the purpose of XCP is a decentralized exchange.

See this discussion.
reader31

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:42:46 PM

But forget obligation, real reason to bail out is because if 80 BTC is lost it will mean massive bad press, it will devastate the project, hang over its head forever. People will never stop talking about it, do you think people can lost $60000 and not fight to get it back?  Does not matter who is at fault or what is fair, "only get one chance to make a first impression" and most people will hear this story as their introduction to Counterparty

A bail-out will not make people stop talking about it. It is the second major fuck up at the protocol level within mere weeks after the end of the burn period and it's incredibly damaging. People are losing big sums of money. Redditors are linking to this thread and expect this to be mentioned in any serious discussion about counterparty for the oncoming months.

I do believe the devs did a brilliant job to create a piece of software that is the first to implement a DEx. Decentralization is the way to go and I applaud them for their courage and boldness to Just Do It. But I feel the project is rushed and released when not ready. A longer burn period would have been nice too, just to get more people involved.

It's nice that they want to work with an "auditor" to verify the code for bugs, but that really sounds they are either not willing or able to do a full code review themselves. Instead, they want to rely on some third party for the security of their code base. I think it's not the right way to go, and for me it fails to build any trust.

Launching the first decentralized exchange in the world, is a monumental task and doing it in a true open source culture takes remarkable planning and confidence. Counterparty has all the hallmark of one of the best projects on the crypto world. These kinds of glitches happen from time to time. We have to realize that the community got almost 10X return on investment in their first few weeks, thanks to their work! Its our duty a caommunity to back them up when unexpected issues such as this come up. Complaining about how things could have been done "better" in retrospect is really not being fair to them!

Oh just donated 1% worth of my xcp holding in BTC to busoni's donation address. Go Team!

mynxtcoin

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:49:56 PM

See this discussion.

thank you
InsanityDev

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:58:01 PM

OK, just returned home after a long day and read thru the day's messages.

Here is a summary:

1. The total extent of damage is approx. 7,000 XCP withdrawals + 80 BTC stolen by the hacker.

2. Everyone believes that Busoni is trustworthy and most believe he should be made whole, although a few have pointed out that he is at least partially at fault because he had weak / nonexistent risk management systems.

3. How much money needs to be collected to reverse the damages?

* Scenario 1 - If the hacker sends the 80BTC back to Busoni then we need to collect 7,000 XCP + an appropriate bounty to the hacker.

* Scenario 2 - If the hacker does not send the 80BTC back, then the community needs to collect 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC.

Even if the hacker sends the 80 BTC back, it does not seem possible that we can escape without some loss (due to the 7,000 XCP withdrawals), and therefore a community fundraiser / collection / tax / passing of the offering plate / whatever you want to call it is needed and inevitable.

4. There are three mechanisms for doing this being discussed:
      (a) inflate the supply of coins on the protocol - zero people agree; bad precedent, slippery slope, defies sanctity of protocol.
      (b) self-imposed tax - every address taxed 1/[380th]* of coins - several people agree, but a lot disagree.
      (c) donations - largest number of people agree.

Note: the denominator cannot be finalized until we know if it is 7,000 XCP or 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC that need to be gathered.

5. What has not been discussed in a totally honest way is which of the three mechanics will yield the fairest outcome and the best precedent for the future of the Counterparty project?

Well, mechanism (a) is a non-starter.  

For mechanism (c), if we could trust that everyone was benevolent, then clearly donations would be the best approach, both because this does not overrule anyone's freewill, and because it has not have any future negative implications on the project.

Notwithstanding, there is the possibility of a massive free-rider problem if we choose mechanism (c) with a few benevolent people sending donations and a horde of greedy people hiding behind the mask of anonymity and attempting to free-ride.

If we end up with a free-rider problem and donations are insufficient, then we won't be able to reverse the damages, as this is quite a large sum of money we need to collect, and it would also be a sad outcome for the project.

Basically, if everyone could trust everyone else to be benevolent, then every wallet owner would donate approx. 1/[380th] of its wealth, which, in essence, is exactly the same as a self-imposed tax.

A few questions to all of you who are suggesting donations as the mechanism of resolution:

Are you really going to donate?  Or are you using this rhetoric to hide behind a mask of anonymity and watch as the rest of us bail out Busoni?  

And if you are going to donate, would you be upset if other people on this list said they were going to donate but then secretly did not?

And, if we agree that there is a risk of free-rider behavior, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest and self-preservation to vote for PhantomPhreak to collect 1/[380th] from every XCP wallet in an automated fashion?  

For me personally, I am very tired out from all of this and hope it can be resolved quickly so that we can get on with discussing all of the important technical items and plans for building companies on top of Counterparty ...

This episode has been such a massive waste of time for everyone in our community.  If you add up all of the time spent trying to unravel this mess far exceeds 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC.

I am the developer of WOLF and have reached out to Tristan (Poloniex) to offer my services in hardening and securing the poloniex exchange today. Hopefully as a community we can all work through this to help a hacked exchange through the process, rather than driving them out of business.

Personally, I have lost over $50k over the past year in exchange hacks, so I'm keen to not see another one go down!

reader31

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:03:09 PM

People with any kind of long term goal shouldn't/wouldn't be worried about these kinds of glitches. It is expected that early adaptors would have the risk tolerence to look past these issues. This the the risk that we as early adaptors take on for big returns later. Wait for the sleek Gui Counterparty client to kick in, the market will price itself at that point. We will be seeing a propotional increase in value.  

reader31

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:05:07 PM

OK, just returned home after a long day and read thru the day's messages.

Here is a summary:

1. The total extent of damage is approx. 7,000 XCP withdrawals + 80 BTC stolen by the hacker.

2. Everyone believes that Busoni is trustworthy and most believe he should be made whole, although a few have pointed out that he is at least partially at fault because he had weak / nonexistent risk management systems.

3. How much money needs to be collected to reverse the damages?

* Scenario 1 - If the hacker sends the 80BTC back to Busoni then we need to collect 7,000 XCP + an appropriate bounty to the hacker.

* Scenario 2 - If the hacker does not send the 80BTC back, then the community needs to collect 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC.

Even if the hacker sends the 80 BTC back, it does not seem possible that we can escape without some loss (due to the 7,000 XCP withdrawals), and therefore a community fundraiser / collection / tax / passing of the offering plate / whatever you want to call it is needed and inevitable.

4. There are three mechanisms for doing this being discussed:
      (a) inflate the supply of coins on the protocol - zero people agree; bad precedent, slippery slope, defies sanctity of protocol.
      (b) self-imposed tax - every address taxed 1/[380th]* of coins - several people agree, but a lot disagree.
      (c) donations - largest number of people agree.

Note: the denominator cannot be finalized until we know if it is 7,000 XCP or 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC that need to be gathered.

5. What has not been discussed in a totally honest way is which of the three mechanics will yield the fairest outcome and the best precedent for the future of the Counterparty project?

Well, mechanism (a) is a non-starter.  

For mechanism (c), if we could trust that everyone was benevolent, then clearly donations would be the best approach, both because this does not overrule anyone's freewill, and because it has not have any future negative implications on the project.

Notwithstanding, there is the possibility of a massive free-rider problem if we choose mechanism (c) with a few benevolent people sending donations and a horde of greedy people hiding behind the mask of anonymity and attempting to free-ride.

If we end up with a free-rider problem and donations are insufficient, then we won't be able to reverse the damages, as this is quite a large sum of money we need to collect, and it would also be a sad outcome for the project.

Basically, if everyone could trust everyone else to be benevolent, then every wallet owner would donate approx. 1/[380th] of its wealth, which, in essence, is exactly the same as a self-imposed tax.

A few questions to all of you who are suggesting donations as the mechanism of resolution:

Are you really going to donate?  Or are you using this rhetoric to hide behind a mask of anonymity and watch as the rest of us bail out Busoni?  

And if you are going to donate, would you be upset if other people on this list said they were going to donate but then secretly did not?

And, if we agree that there is a risk of free-rider behavior, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest and self-preservation to vote for PhantomPhreak to collect 1/[380th] from every XCP wallet in an automated fashion?  

For me personally, I am very tired out from all of this and hope it can be resolved quickly so that we can get on with discussing all of the important technical items and plans for building companies on top of Counterparty ...

This episode has been such a massive waste of time for everyone in our community.  If you add up all of the time spent trying to unravel this mess far exceeds 7,000 XCP + 80 BTC.

I am the developer of WOLF and have reached out to Tristan (Poloniex) to offer my services in hardening and securing the poloniex exchange today. Hopefully as a community we can all work through this to help a hacked exchange through the process, rather than driving them out of business.

Personally, I have lost over $50k over the past year in exchange hacks, so I'm keen to not see another one go down!

+1 so good to see the community coming together for this Smiley

Bellebite2014

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:10:50 PM

People with any kind of long term goal shouldn't/wouldn't be worried about these kinds of glitches. It is expected that early adaptors would have the risk tolerence to look past these issues. This the the risk that we as early adaptors take on for big returns later. Wait for the sleek Gui Counterparty client to kick in, the market will price itself at that point. We will be seeing a propotional increase in value.  

Alleluia to this!
danonthehill

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:11:43 PM

Are you serious Huh??

Yes. I am for real, and I am not in to make a quick buck after a few weeks. People should know better. Who cares to be at such an early stage on a centralized exchange, and then on coinmarketcap whatever ? You wanted it. Then, there you go, you have it. Assume your actions, or don't come here and cry like a french girl. I lost money with the facebook IPO, I will call Wall Street ! Yeah, sure... Again, don't play with daddy's toys if you don't know what you are doing. So yes, greedy guinea pigs.

PS : My XCP will stay on their birth addresses for at least a few months, until everything is under control and properly advertised. 

Such machismo...I don't know what it is with you and French girls.  

All your comments seem to indicate that you categorize XCP simply as speculative currency i.e. simply an investment vehicle, rather than a functioning transactional currency.

The buyers have lost their BTC, because Counterparty made a centralized decision to roll back the ledger, therefore asymmetrically alter the transactions which previously had occurred. This was done with full knowledge that the people who invested in XPC for the long or the short term would lose their BTC.  

This isn't like all other cryptos, as was suggested before.  BTC was a response to such centralized decisions, as was laid out in SN's white paper, and was described as being the primary motivation to a decentralized currency. Therefore, this could not have happened with BTC.  BTC 2.0 this ain't, it doesn't share the same ethical/philosophical underpinning. I invested in Counterparty because it presented itself as committed to decentralization, but it seems to implement a protocol which allows trades to be reversed at the dev's discretion. Right now it feels, perhaps, more analogous to a Paypal charge-back.

danonthehill

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:17:27 PM

Calling him/her a "Greedy...guinea pig".  Are you for real? He/she bought the coins on the open market at what was the current market price.

Alleluia to this!

Such a sense of community!

I assume you a referring to those who already have XCP or BTC. Not those who have had both their XCP and BTC stolen.

I am afraid you have gold fever. A Gui is not such a boast when the integrity of the community is in question.
danonthehill

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

Are you serious Huh??

Such machismo...I don't know what it is with you and French girls.  

All your comments seem to indicate that you categorize XCP simply as speculative currency i.e. simply an investment vehicle, rather than a functioning transactional currency.

The buyers have lost their BTC, because Counterparty made a centralized decision to roll back the ledger, therefore asymmetrically alter the transactions which previously had occurred. This was done with full knowledge that the people who invested in XCP for the long or the short term would lose their BTC.  

This isn't like all other cryptos, as was suggested before.  BTC was a response to such centralized decisions, as was laid out in SN's white paper, and was described as being the primary motivation to a decentralized currency. Therefore, this could not have happened with BTC.  BTC 2.0 this ain't, it doesn't share the same ethical/philosophical underpinning. I invested in Counterparty because it presented itself as committed to decentralization, but it seems to implement a protocol which allows trades to be reversed at the dev's discretion. Right now it feels, perhaps, more analogous to a Paypal charge-back.

PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:27:07 PM

The buyers have lost their BTC, because Counterparty made a centralized decision to roll back the ledger, therefore asymmetrically alter the transactions which previously had occurred. This was done with full knowledge that the people who invested in XPC for the long or the short term would lose their BTC.  

We didn't rollback anything. The only thing that we did was close a loophole in the parsing code that allowed for the misidentification of the source of a transaction.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:30:00 PM

We haven't heard from the attacker in a long time now, and it looks as though he's not going to return any of the funds he stole from Poloniex. We have made our recommendations to busoni as to what he should do, and the decision is up to him.
BitzMD

Activity: 421
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 04:30:43 PM

Some people are just too nervous. The devs have done an outstanding job engaging the community. They have responded so fast that the fix was implemented within hours and they continue to build and improve.

Stay positive, this is a young community and as much a I understand this is a new coin that goes beyond many if not all.

Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 04:38:11 PM

Counterparty still has more of a bright future than any other project in my opinion.
520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:41:26 PM

We didn't rollback anything. The only thing that we did was close a loophole in the parsing code that allowed for the misidentification of the source of a transaction.

+1 People need to understand what is really going on here.
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: