Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:15:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276347 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CryptoFinanceUK

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:49:08 PM

Cross post from my reply at the official forums https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,150.msg1387.html#msg1387 regarding a hierarchy for utility and for controlling asset issuance costs:

When I suggested the hierarchy, I didn't give any thought about implementation. It seems people like the idea and I think there is a utility to this idea so here's an implementation idea which is pretty simple but enables pretty much what people are talking about.

Indeed by itself it would be too much of a code change. The asset names are coded as they are in many different tables and having long asset names would cause problems with the limited space we are working with a Bitcoin transaction.

So here is what I suggest to be a simple solution which is backwards compatible and forwards compatible with more adaptations to the price for issuing assets:

There are only two levels of assets distinguished at the protocol level. More than the second level is merely a client side visualization.

1) Add an additional column to the 'issuances' table called 'assetLongName'
2) Add an optional parameter to issuance --asset-long-name
3) A 'top level' is an asset which must have the asset name = asset long name (this can default if no asset-long-name is entered)
4) A 'top level' asset must conform to existing naming conventions
5) An 'lower level' asset is an asset which is only readily distinguishable by the asset-long-name. The asset name (ie the value being used now and passed around in the messages in transactions) cannot be user specified. The asset short name is generated at #6
6) When issuing a 'lower level' asset, the issuer cannot specify the asset name. The short asset name is generated from a hash of the asset-long-name (something like this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/548158/fixed-length-numeric-hash-code-from-variable-length-string-in-c-sharp)
7) When issuing a 'lower level' asset, in the asset-long-name a 'top level' asset name must already exist before the first period '.' in the string (left to right) .

Notes:
* Top level assets are premium priced - for example 5 XCP
* Lower level assets are priced enough to stop spamming of the network - for example 0.1 XCP
* Pricing can be replaced with proof of stake or whatever later
* By default clients can filter top level assets by only getting assets where the short name = long name
* In the long name for lower level assets, after the first period '.' most characters plus a few special characters like GLaDOS mentioned goes. It is up to the clients to fold up the names in a tree structure and organise it nicely. Clients can use lazy loading of tree structures to reduce overhead.
* All internal counterpartyd code continues to stay referencing the existing short name so it will limit recode
* It would then require some rework to allow commands such as 'order' 'send' to be able to reference the asset long name. However, this is not a #1 priority as the short asset name could be used in the interim.
* There is a limited space available for unique (short) asset names  so there will be some collisions with the hashing of the long name. If the hash is already taken, too bad you will need to vary the long name a little bit. That's the consequence of buying a lower level asset name
* Including a unique index on the asset-long-name column of the issuances table should be sufficient to maintain performance on this table

EDIT:
Some examples to show what I'm talking about.

Code:
Asset Short name    Long name                    
BITT                BITT                         
KEOdAi3q            BITT.spanish.dubloon         
OIu3waqn            BITT.spanish.dubloon#1       
RPGGAME             RPGGAME
LPJhiowG            RPGGAME.ruby.cracked
jrOyehHG            RPGGAME.ruby.perfect
BANK                BANK
OIJFE7ig            BANK.I can type whatever I like

Client visualization
Code:
BITT
 +-spanish
         +-dubloon
         +-dubloon#1
RPGGAME
 +-ruby
      +-cracked
      +-perfect
BANK
 +-I can type whatever I like

Client visualization alternative - reflects the reality that there is only 2 levels
Code:
BITT
 +-spanish.dubloon
 +-spanish.dubloon#1

RPGGAME
 +-ruby.cracked
 +-ruby.perfect

BANK

Did this great idea ever gain traction?

I seem to remember it was suggested around the time that the OP_RETURN saga kicked off.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:01:51 PM

Cross post from my reply at the official forums https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,150.msg1387.html#msg1387 regarding a hierarchy for utility and for controlling asset issuance costs:

When I suggested the hierarchy, I didn't give any thought about implementation. It seems people like the idea and I think there is a utility to this idea so here's an implementation idea which is pretty simple but enables pretty much what people are talking about.

Indeed by itself it would be too much of a code change. The asset names are coded as they are in many different tables and having long asset names would cause problems with the limited space we are working with a Bitcoin transaction.

So here is what I suggest to be a simple solution which is backwards compatible and forwards compatible with more adaptations to the price for issuing assets:

There are only two levels of assets distinguished at the protocol level. More than the second level is merely a client side visualization.

1) Add an additional column to the 'issuances' table called 'assetLongName'
2) Add an optional parameter to issuance --asset-long-name
3) A 'top level' is an asset which must have the asset name = asset long name (this can default if no asset-long-name is entered)
4) A 'top level' asset must conform to existing naming conventions
5) An 'lower level' asset is an asset which is only readily distinguishable by the asset-long-name. The asset name (ie the value being used now and passed around in the messages in transactions) cannot be user specified. The asset short name is generated at #6
6) When issuing a 'lower level' asset, the issuer cannot specify the asset name. The short asset name is generated from a hash of the asset-long-name (something like this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/548158/fixed-length-numeric-hash-code-from-variable-length-string-in-c-sharp)
7) When issuing a 'lower level' asset, in the asset-long-name a 'top level' asset name must already exist before the first period '.' in the string (left to right) .

Notes:
* Top level assets are premium priced - for example 5 XCP
* Lower level assets are priced enough to stop spamming of the network - for example 0.1 XCP
* Pricing can be replaced with proof of stake or whatever later
* By default clients can filter top level assets by only getting assets where the short name = long name
* In the long name for lower level assets, after the first period '.' most characters plus a few special characters like GLaDOS mentioned goes. It is up to the clients to fold up the names in a tree structure and organise it nicely. Clients can use lazy loading of tree structures to reduce overhead.
* All internal counterpartyd code continues to stay referencing the existing short name so it will limit recode
* It would then require some rework to allow commands such as 'order' 'send' to be able to reference the asset long name. However, this is not a #1 priority as the short asset name could be used in the interim.
* There is a limited space available for unique (short) asset names  so there will be some collisions with the hashing of the long name. If the hash is already taken, too bad you will need to vary the long name a little bit. That's the consequence of buying a lower level asset name
* Including a unique index on the asset-long-name column of the issuances table should be sufficient to maintain performance on this table

EDIT:
Some examples to show what I'm talking about.

Code:
Asset Short name    Long name                    
BITT                BITT                         
KEOdAi3q            BITT.spanish.dubloon         
OIu3waqn            BITT.spanish.dubloon#1       
RPGGAME             RPGGAME
LPJhiowG            RPGGAME.ruby.cracked
jrOyehHG            RPGGAME.ruby.perfect
BANK                BANK
OIJFE7ig            BANK.I can type whatever I like

Client visualization
Code:
BITT
 +-spanish
         +-dubloon
         +-dubloon#1
RPGGAME
 +-ruby
      +-cracked
      +-perfect
BANK

Client visualization alternative - reflects the reality that there is only 2 levels
Code:
BITT
 +-spanish.dubloon
 +-spanish.dubloon#1

RPGGAME
 +-ruby.cracked
 +-ruby.perfect

BANK

I seem to remember it was suggested around the time that the OP_RETURN saga kicked off.

I think that we agreed that such a scheme would be better handled at the UI level.
crypto era

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./counterpartyd.py", line 21, in <module>
    from lib import (config, api, util, exceptions, bitcoin, blocks)
  File "/home/counterpartycoin/counterpartyd/lib/api.py", line 7, in <module>
    from werkzeug.wrappers import Request, Response
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/werkzeug/__init__.py", line 154, in <module>
    __import__('werkzeug.exceptions')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/werkzeug/exceptions.py", line 111
    return u'<p>%s</p>' % escape(self.description)
                      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Hey I'm pretty sure this just means the command was typed wrong. I would sensor your original post sense I think it's showing your RPC password to your wallet.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:57:17 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/bitangels-closes-10000-btc-fund-decentralised-applications/

we should contact them for bootstrapping a decentralized betting market

they are also engaged in msc
led_lcd

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 11:58:07 PM

[...]

I think that we agreed that such a scheme would be better handled at the UI level.

I was happy to have it handled at the client side rather than embedded within the protocol. Though there are some disadvantages.

The success of storing domain/long asset information in the description hinges on a couple of factors:

1) A de facto standard that is agreed upon by the community and the standard centralized somewhere. We haven't made any progress yet regarding this.

2) Asset issuance fees within Counterparty would have a better long term solution - something along the lines of floating fees.

The disadvantages I see having it done purely at the client level is that:

a) Uniqueness of the long name in the description cannot be enforced.
b) Tiered pricing based upon the long description cannot be performed as the protocol is agnostic to the description.
sus2134

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:08:38 AM

Despite being so innovative, XCP has become victim to pump and dump
GrosseCouilleDansTonAss

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:55:00 AM

Pump and dump, with an average volume of less than 1000 XCP ? What are you talking about ? Don't use terms you don't understand. The parasite coin is just dying. Not because of lack of innovation or whatever, but just because of the lack of communication and exposure. Amazing devs, but only the 8 people on that thread know about it. This coin is going nowhere with the current direction. What is happening to the new website ? What about the 2 experts' audit ? Introduction video, and so on, and so on... DOGE is terrible, but it is everywhere, which is at the end of the day what matters, no matter how retarded  / super cool this coin is.
ripplebtc

Activity: 277

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:21:42 AM

Pump and dump, with an average volume of less than 1000 XCP ? What are you talking about ? Don't use terms you don't understand. The parasite coin is just dying. Not because of lack of innovation or whatever, but just because of the lack of communication and exposure. Amazing devs, but only the 8 people on that thread know about it. This coin is going nowhere with the current direction. What is happening to the new website ? What about the 2 experts' audit ? Introduction video, and so on, and so on... DOGE is terrible, but it is everywhere, which is at the end of the day what matters, no matter how retarded  / super cool this coin is.

What do you do for Counterparty? Try to change it rather than complaining! Trading volume in the last 24 hours is $ 36,147
http://coinmarketcap.com/volume.html#xcp
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 02:29:55 AM

Pump and dump, with an average volume of less than 1000 XCP ? What are you talking about ? Don't use terms you don't understand. The parasite coin is just dying. Not because of lack of innovation or whatever, but just because of the lack of communication and exposure. Amazing devs, but only the 8 people on that thread know about it. This coin is going nowhere with the current direction. What is happening to the new website ? What about the 2 experts' audit ? Introduction video, and so on, and so on... DOGE is terrible, but it is everywhere, which is at the end of the day what matters, no matter how retarded  / super cool this coin is.

1. We've been on the front page of Reddit a couple times now and I expect we'll see more of that in the future.
2. We're in the process of communicating and exposing Counterparty to people outside of this thread.
3. The Current direction of Counterparty, and the ecosystem being built around it, are very promising.
4. The new site is up?
5. One security audit is complete (we passed and were complimented on the state of the code) and another audit will start soon.

CryptoFinanceUK

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:57:06 AM

[...]

[...]

b) Tiered pricing based upon the long description cannot be performed as the protocol is agnostic to the description.

Thanks led_lcd - pity, tiered pricing would make some interesting possibilities economical. Maybe the devs would we willing to revisit this in the future.
TheMightyX

Activity: 350

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:45:22 AM

I resent the term "parasite coin".
A parasite is an organism who feeds off another without providing anything in return.
I would like to think Counterparty has more of a symbiotic relationship with bitcoin.
I would argue that Counterparty provides more benefit to bitcoin than it gets in return.

Unfortunately it has some large barriers to entry that are not easily overcome.
The fact that it has no central lead or marketing drive behind it will also slow down adoption and rise in value.

But it is still the most promising coin out right now.
It is far above and beyond the rest of the market in terms of utility.
supersuber

Activity: 118
Merit: 104

Counterparty

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:01:25 AM

Counterparty orders (tx=8060)
http://www.blockscan.com/order.aspx?q=8060

This is a bug?

frozen123

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:32:42 AM

Permacredits might become the first application to launch on top of the Counterparty protocol (XCP)  article link: http://www.coinssource.com/permacredits-launch-top-counterparty/     
Permacredits link:        http://permacredits.com/

frozen123

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:37:57 AM

Rockminer also considering use Counterparty to issue their stock,but the asset  name " ROCKMINER" registered by someone.

deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:51:37 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2014, 01:51:40 PM by deliciousowl

The low prices of counterparty really make me believe that 99% of people are functionally retarded...

PS: I edited the about section a bit, let me know what you think:

Counterparty is a Revolution in Finance

Counterparty is a peer-to-peer digital asset exchange, betting platform, and derivatives market. All transactions are secure, atomic and trustless thanks to the automatic escrow system. Clever use of decentralization and cryptography removes all counterparty risk. (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/counterparty.asp). For the first time in history, no middleman is ever needed.

Counterparty lives on top of the Bitcoin blockchain and inherits its security. Its network stores protocol data in regular Bitcoin transactions. Counterparty’s suite of financial tools is built entirely on open source protocols and software, and development is driven by volunteers and funded by donations.

Counterparty’s native currency, XCP, has 2.6 million units and is slightly deflationary. XCP were issued by ‘proof-of-burn‘ in January 2014, in one of the fairest coin launches to date.

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:34:22 PM

The low prices of counterparty really make me believe that 99% of people are functionally retarded...

Counteparty is a peer-to-peer digital asset exchange, betting platform, and derivatives market. All transactions are secure, atomic and trustless thanks to the automatic escrow system. Clever use of decentralization and cryptography removes all counterparty risk. (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/counterparty.asp). For the first time in history, no middleman is ever needed.

Counterparty lives on top of the Bitcoin blockchain and inherits its security. Its network stores protocol data in regular Bitcoin transactions. Counterparty’s suite of financial tools is built entirely on open source protocols and software, and development is driven by volunteers and funded by donations.

Counterparty’s native currency, XCP, has 2.6 million units and is slightly deflationary. XCP were issued by ‘proof-of-burn‘ in January 2014, in one of the fairest coin launches to date.
What do you think people are missing?
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:40:56 PM

Counteparty is a peer-to-peer digital asset exchange, betting platform, and derivatives market. All transactions are secure, atomic and trustless thanks to the automatic escrow system. Clever use of decentralization and cryptography removes all counterparty risk. (http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/counterparty.asp). For the first time in history, no middleman is ever needed.

What do you think people are missing?

Unless marketing is done, this will basically drown into the pool of alts
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:45:42 PM

well anyone get's close to the same deal now as us burners  Grin.

anyway we should make clear why this is such an important and interesting project, not just the protocol but also the underlying currency xcp. 
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:57:00 PM

Probably people are afraid that "Bitcoin Bosses will ban XCP" from the top of BTC....
led_lcd

Activity: 262

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:27:31 PM

Crossposted from https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php?topic=253

I'd like to request a feature to allow better discovery of what markets are available on the DEX.

It isn't easy to find out which markets exist because I have to first select the asset pairs I'm interested in finding the price for. Most combinations of asset pairs don't have any orders.

I'd like to suggest that the View Prices tab be modified (or a new tab created) for a 'Markets' view. The default market view will be based upon every asset pair that has an order (inverse pairs are represented only once ie XCP/BTC and BTC/XCP). The decision on which asset is the first in the pair can be done by the asset which has the highest market cap). The view can be a grid similar to the top assets and include information such as last order match, volume.

The grid view should first show all entries first and the grid can be filtered down by 2 drop down list boxes which correspond to the first and second asset in the pair.

Clicking on any column heading changes the sort order of the grid.

Clicking on the asset pair takes you to the Buy/Sell page for that pair

Where there is no corresponding bid or ask for that pair, the grid displays an empty or zero.

Text mock up
Code:
Filter       | Asset 1 | Asset 2 |

Market       | Highest Ask | Highest Bid | Order Depth | 24 hr Volume | 24 hour % change
BTC/XCP      |       0.004 |      0.0039 |          30 |      100 BTC |             -1.5
BTC/GOLD     |         1.5 |           0 |           1 |        0 BTC |                0
MEAT/POKEMON |             |         290 |           2 |       30 BTC |                0
Pages: « 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: