Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:26:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 [365] 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276349 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jpdeng

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:02:38 AM

I try to transfer my xcp from old counterwallet to new counterwallet. But I met:

"Pending send of 5.548 XCP from My Address #1 to 1A5CWSDZHZYaRCYTdMdqkkHPxwtVpi1dt2 about an hour ago"

What is wrong? Thanks!
jpdeng

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:09:10 AM

How can I get my private key of my BTC address in counterwallet? Thanks!
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:17:59 AM

I try to transfer my xcp from old counterwallet to new counterwallet. But I met:

"Pending send of 5.548 XCP from My Address #1 to 1A5CWSDZHZYaRCYTdMdqkkHPxwtVpi1dt2 about an hour ago"

What is wrong? Thanks!

Try to re login. I think many problems happening relates to cache in browser. If you use chrome try incognito mode as it should skip the cache, or clear it entirely.

The should be an option on the address button to show private key.
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:34:20 AM

are there any ideas for how to use XCP to exchange digital currencies for fiat? That would be truly exciting imo.

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 12:34:23 PM

are there any ideas for how to use XCP to exchange digital currencies for fiat? That would be truly exciting imo.

I think butterfly labs is in the process of making a modification for PC DVD drives to feed cash in.
halfcab123

Activity: 224

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:42:10 PM

Ok guys.. donations are up to 0.97 total BTC.. 0.77 BTC + 50 XCP! Almost there. Just need another 0.2 BTC and I can place the order for all the equipment we need to get the commercial started !!!  As of right now, it would take 1 person to donate 0.21 BTC to get the status of Assistant Executive Producer. Get it now before anyone else does Smiley

https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,261.msg1957.html#msg1957

PS. 2 donators have not revealed themselves.. If you want recognition and a place in the credits, let me know who you are.

Donate XCP/BTC: 13CVPDZRvAHiKtNJm3x36jREPDdtocXf4p

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:48:39 PM

testnet network is currently down because of a failed sanity check. Am working on it now.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 02:29:54 PM

If there is no fee to issue asset via MSC, how does it enforce prevention of mass trolling or squatting?

The unique identifier for each currency/token/asset is currently 32 bit wide and allows therefore to issue more than 4 billion properties until we run out of space. A valid Mastercoin transaction must not be a dust transaction so pure spam is unreasonable from an economically point of view.

Asset names as identifier were never feasible in the first place without further verification and an artificial fee would not provide any cure in this context imho.

Aha, thanks

You couldn't trade fiat directly, as far as I know.. there is some other unrelated SSL proofs project which is looking at that, but you could trade vouchers using this system

You might think why would you bother buying or selling vouchers for BTC on Counterparty when you have things like gyft, I'll try to explain in a convoluted way

Assume a trusted asset issuer has non-expiring vouchers in reserve (or the ability to generate vouchers on demand)

They can list any of these vouchers as a counterparty asset, you can buy these vouchers with the knowledge you redeem them at face value at any time and trade the token backing the fiat denominated voucher 2-way, you've essentially got digital fiat pool.

If you brought 10 x $100 $1,000 of burger king vouchers from Gyft (maybe you are super hungry) with bitcoin you couldn't just decide you want to swap your bK vouchers back into Bitcoin. With Counterparty those 1000 BKUSD tokens, representing $1000 in burger king vouchers can pass through 500 hands over 500 days and still be redeemable for the same value. Obviously bk is not the best choice but any asset with demand can receive liquidity.

Example:
Someone buys 10 BTCEUSD in exchange for pegged 10 usd in BTC at the time of the order plus a small % surcharge.
Once they buy they are free from volatility of BTC - effectively in fiat. all the while without ever having to store their bitcoins on a central server. they are free to either trade that asset back for BTC, XCP or whatever other asset on the DEX or exchange with the issuer for corresponding voucher amount in fiat.
The asset issuer would already have USD in exchange, all they have to do is generate a code and send it, they can prove they hold the amount (USD/YUAN/EURO/GBP in reserve in exchange with read only API )

Once they have the voucher code. they can then trade with another user p2p for a direct fiat transfer, or log into an exchange to deposit the voucher code and play with it there.

You can issue any sort of fiat denominated voucher in that way; amazon gift cards, victorias secret, prepaid VISA, dominos, steam, bla bla
 could also soon potentially  issue PXGOLD (basically gold vouchers tradable for physical gold or fiat on voucher-safe) It's a huge untapped market for counterparty because counterparty provides a seamless unified marketplace for these to be listed.

The only real requirement there is a trustworthy issuer- some form of web-of trust or identity system is still important because of so many scammers and opportunists

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:39:21 PM

I think butterfly labs is in the process of making a modification for PC DVD drives to feed cash in.

Slot drive or cupholder version? Do they need a money transmitter license for that?

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:12:18 PM

testnet network is currently down because of a failed sanity check. Am working on it now.

Version 9.16 fixes the issue (and also simplifies the versioning system, necessitating a bump... it should be v6.16).
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:11:10 PM

FYI: there is no fee required to issue assets via the Master protocol and this feature will go live in the next days.  Smiley

Cool so instead of paying a one off $1 you just have to buy most of the coins in existence, stripping the value out of every bitcoin raised by handing it over to mastercoin holders that sell into the staged and over inflated price? I'm interested how does this work when you need to fix the price of mastercoin for 2 fundraisers/token issuances or whatever at once?... doesn't matter I'm pretty sure this is the last.

Has the world gone mad totally mad or am I dreaming.  Huh

People fall for marketing. Cryptocurrencies are pure psychology. That's why it takes so long for legitimate and innovative projects like Counterparty to get noticed, they simply blend into a panoply of shitcoins...

sparta_cuss

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:18:19 PM

So coingifts wants 3.5BTC for the ROCKMINER asset.  That seems reasonable to me.

Buy it now Bid: 10BTC

I don't think anyone else is bidding.  If they do they're hoping to sell for more and that seems like a silly strategy given that the ROCKMINER company hasn't even decided to participate in Counterparty.
About ROCKMINER ,the CEO of the ROCKMINER said he can  use another name on Counterparty if he wants issue his stock on Counterparty.

So sad news to coingifts, haha.  The value of ROCKMINER asset name is 0 now?

Hahaha, are you so happy?

Use another name is not a good idea. You know

UPDATE:

Asset name squatting is obviated. Please, people, don't bid for this asset name.

Please see the posts in the Counterparty forum here:
Counterparty Forums » General » Development & Technical Discussion » TL:DR of Asset Name discussion

According to xnova, "Note that counterwallet allows for enhanced asset info (today, it works). See https://wiki.counterparty.co/w/Enhanced_Asset_Info_in_Counterwallet for more info."

According to cityglut, "Asset name-mapping can be determined at the client level in any number of ways, without changing the protocol."

So, coingifts, you can keep the ROCKMINER name all to yourself.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
Anotheranonlol

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:29:39 PM

UPDATE:

Asset name squatting is irrelevant. Please, people, don't bid for this asset name.

Counterparty Forums » General » Development & Technical Discussion » TL:DR of Asset Name discussion

According to xnova, "Note that counterwallet allows for enhanced asset info (today, it works). See https://wiki.counterparty.co/w/Enhanced_Asset_Info_in_Counterwallet for more info."

According to cityglut, "Asset name-mapping can be determined at the client level in any number of ways, without changing the protocol."

It's a great update, but I still can't see how that means asset squatting is now irrelevant?

Personallly I don't care whether he lists the assets as DOCKMINER, MOCKMINER  or COCKMINER, I don't think anybody else would really care either; As long as he can demonstrate this is the official asset, with a signed message, description or similar and brief announcement it's pretty simple stuff, no one is accidentally buying activemining instead of asicminer.

However he himself seems to have his objections, maybe believes people will become confused, maybe just likes to own the official name out of principal, whatever.. that's the only important thing because the asset issuer is the one who's making the decision and the name is still taken. And with this update, what's changed in regards to that? He still doesn't have ownership of that name

cityglut

Activity: 216

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:51:00 PM

UPDATE:

Asset name squatting is irrelevant. Please, people, don't bid for this asset name.

It's a great update, but I still can't see how that means asset squatting is now irrelevant?

Personallly I don't care whether he lists the assets as DOCKMINER, MOCKMINER  or COCKMINER, I don't think anybody else would really care either; As long as he can demonstrate this is the official asset, with a signed message, description or similar and brief announcement it's pretty simple stuff, no one is accidentally buying activemining instead of asicminer.

However he himself seems to have his objections, maybe believes people will become confused, maybe just likes to own the official name out of principal, whatever.. that's the only important thing because the asset issuer is the one who's making the decision and the name is still taken. And with this update, what's changed in regards to that? He still doesn't have ownership of that name

At the client level, you could re-map names based on a number of criteria, which is to say the asset name in Counterwallet for example is independent of the unique identifier given to the asset of the protocol level; it could be determined by a PGP provided, instead, for example. Here's an example given by porqupine as to how it might look:

Suppose Rockxie wants to issue a GHS asset for Rockminer. Here is what it might look like:
He randomly generates or handpicks an asset name: say - ffzdJeVT
Then for the issuance the fields might look like:
Assset Name: ffzdJeVT
Text:
~~ GHS ~~
~~ 1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer ~~
~~ www.example.com/assets ~~

And on the GUI level in Counterwallet this could be represented like this:
Asset: GHS
Unique Identifier: ffzdJeVT
Description: 1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer
PGP Link: www.example.com/assets

Anotheranonlol

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2014, 06:48:19 PM by Anotheranonlol

Suppose Rockxie wants to issue a GHS asset for Rockminer. Here is what it might look like:
Text:
~~ GHS ~~

Hmm, ok. but on that example, the Asset name is ffzdJevt, Whilst the Asset on the GUI is GHS
in the wiki it says

asset   Required   The name of the asset. Must match your asset's name exactly. 24 characters max.

the description is obviously '1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer ' which comes from the description field in JSON but where is the 'GHS' name field being populated from?  it's not description in the JSON and it's can't be pulled from the 'asset' tag since that's a mismatch to the direct asset name itself, breaking the rules above right?

But regardless, if anybody can input their own data there to be reflected client side (which is duplicable and thefore 'forgeable' or squatabble? ), what's to stop current owner of ROCKMINER linking to a json on pastebin with description as ASSET: ROCKMINER description: Official Rockminer listing?

Maybe I'm not understanding the proposal but I don't really get how the solution is there?, then again I don't think the squatting issue can be solved anyway without a central authority that has direct control over asset creation and therefore don't actually see it as an issue myself, it's an open market just the way it should be.. i mean he registers rockminer, someone else goes ahead and registers rocknniner or rockmminer or rockminer2 or whatever and so what? this is what usernames, domains have been like forever

Anotheranonlol

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:17:27 PM

I'm having trouble inputting my own passphrase in counterwallet. Are there limitations placed on this?

yes there are limitations, you use the seed it generates for you. I imagine because of spec compatibility and because people are notoriously bad sources of entropy

WCIR

Activity: 144

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:21:06 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 08:24:34 AM by WCIR

NOW ON

Counterparty (XCP) price index and social feeds

Anotheranonlol

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 06:53:56 PM

I'm having trouble inputting my own passphrase in counterwallet. Are there limitations placed on this?

yes there are limitations, you use the seed it generates for you. I imagine because of spec compatibility and because people are notoriously bad sources of entropy

Fair enough. Wouldn't it make sense to allow people to use their own as well, as long as it conforms to a minimum length and the 12 word requirement?

well what's to stop you from using 'password password password password password password password password password password password password' ?

If you let users choose their own passwords, many will default to choosing easily brutable sequences 'repeated phrases, common phrases from movies/stories etc. that's the human brain for you

There's more discussion on why the seed is usually chosen for you here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153990.0

There probably is a way if you really have a desire to though. might have to run your own installation

halfcab123

Activity: 224

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:04:59 PM

I've decided to go ahead and take the donations we've raised so far (0.97 BTC) and add my own money to it to get this thing started. Time is of the essence. We need to be primed and ready with informational videos for when the market turns bull.

If you still feel like donating, all donations will go to equipment and marketing efforts. Please also consider donating to Matt Y, as he is the lead on marketing. Marketing is very key right now! We aren't just marketing for 'our' benefit, we're marketing for the benefit of the entire financial market.

Counterparty Forum Thread:
https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,261.0.html

Donors:

Flayaway  50 XCP (Exec. Producer)
XNOVA 0.2 BTC (Exec. Producer)

LED_LCD   0.1 BTC (Producer)
Sparta_Cuss  0.1 BTC (Producer)
Freedomfighter   0.1 BTC (Producer)
Frozen123  0.1 BTC (Producer)
Amy_Bit  0.01 BTC (Producer)
Something 0.025 BTC (Producer)

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:07:45 PM

Text:
~~ GHS ~~

Hmm, ok. but on that example, the Asset name is ffzdJevt, Whilst the Asset on the GUI is GHS
in the wiki it says

asset   Required   The name of the asset. Must match your asset's name exactly. 24 characters max.

the description is obviously '1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer ' which comes from the description field in JSON but where is the 'GHS' name field being populated from?  it's not description in the JSON and it's can't be pulled from the 'asset' tag since that's a mismatch to the direct asset name itself, breaking the rules above right?

But regardless, if anybody can input their own data there to be reflected client side (which is duplicable and thefore 'forgeable' or squatabble? ), what's to stop current owner of ROCKMINER linking to a json on pastebin with description as ASSET: ROCKMINER description: Official Rockminer listing?

Maybe I'm not understanding the proposal but I don't really get how the solution is there?, then again I don't think the squatting issue can be solved anyway without a central authority that has direct control over asset creation and therefore don't actually see it as an issue myself, it's an open market just the way it should be.. i mean he registers rockminer, someone else goes ahead and registers rocknniner or rockmminer or rockminer2 or whatever and so what? this is what usernames, domains have been like forever

The 'name' at the protocol level is tied to the transaction handling - but asset representation on the client level can be achieved by organizing the 'text' field of the asset issue.

There is still the possibility of making look-alike assets i.e.:

Real Asset:
--name=ffzdjeVT
--text=~~ GHS ~~1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer ~~ www.example.com/assets ~~

Look alike:
--name=ffzdJeVT
--text=~~ GHS ~~1 GHS mining issued by Rockminer ~~ www.example.co/assets ~~

Which could be dealt with in several ways i.e. Allowing a user to track/flag an asset on the client level (presumably for assets where they have verified the PGP key).
Alternatively you could make the default client-side search take an asset standard form where the --name field is defined by the first 8 bytes of the --text field hash, that would make it quite difficult to issue a-near identical looking asset.
Pages: « 1 ... 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 [365] 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: