Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:54:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 [939] 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 ... 1832 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit  (Read 3058427 times)
Tyke
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1162

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:17:57 AM

Would love a signed Digibyte book  Grin

There is a page in every upcoming cryptocurrency book titled "About the Author".  I can easily place my signature on there below the text Smiley  
24hralttrade

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Community Liaison,How can i help you?

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 02:17:43 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 02:57:10 PM by 24hralttrade

WARNING
Last week somebody lost 80BTC because of a security breach. The hacker could acces his computer using Teamviewer.
So be advised!

https://twitter.com/notsofastcrypto/status/589053413071028224
https://twitter.com/Splatters_Huge/status/589093005509926912

Watch out for this follower
@teamviewer_agen Block him!

Want to see the Future of Retail omnichannel demo store powered by Digibyte & Tofugear teams?
Please feel free to contact me if you have anything to report or you have any questions.
Jumbley
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:44:57 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 05:10:14 PM by Jumbley

WARNING
Last week somebody lost 80BTC because of a security breach. The hacker could acces his computer using Teamviewer.
So be advised!

Absolution for any digital crime can be purchased by sending half the proceeds here, where I will assure they are distributed amongst the needy!  Grin

1CbsH146YVLgosWn9VBgB7XaGWnJcUfbLo

Is team viewer the culprit here?  It doesn't look as if that is certain from these tweets.
Verias

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:50:26 PM

whats the safest way to store my DGB ?
i have 60% stored ofline on encrypted wallet with backup ( usb drive )
and 40% still on bittrex exchange.

but i plan to buy more in the next weeks.

maybe a third wallet somewhere?

would go crazy if i lose my DGB :p
Timon2010

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:00:08 PM

Hey Verias, my approach is something like this:

Wallet A)
Most of your coins should be in a Cold Wallet Encrypted Backups (Three or more backups should be fine, for example 3 USBs, in worst case if your two copies are damaged you still have the third).
The password should be written down CLEARLY on a piece of paper and "hide" it. This wallet should NOT exist on the harddisk nor touch Internet, until you want to send coins from this wallet at any time in the future.
Amount ~70%

Wallet B)
Some of your coins are in a wallet on a computer B connected to Internet if you like to, encrypted. I do run DigiByte Core wallet always on for full node and Mining, always on.
Write down password on a piece of paper.
Amount ~10%

Wallet C) (if you have more than one computer)
Some of your coins are in a wallet on a computer C connected to Internet if you like to, encrypted. I do run full node, connecting to Network one or twice a week to update to the blockchain.
Amount ~10%

Wallet D)
Some of the coins are in the Mobile Wallet on your phone. The amount should be that much you a comfortable with. At the end of the day the goal of DigiByte is that everyone can use a common device to handle daily business needs. So I think it's good practice for us to begin to do that with a small amount of coins. You can DigiByteTip, donations, etc. To spread usage of DigiByte I think we all need to get our phone to do the work.
Amount ~5%

Wallet E)
Amount ~5% on an exchange.

If you buy more, you can send from the exchange to the different wallets with similar percentage above.
This approach should work fine independently of coin-type, not only for DigiByte.
Verias

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:08:11 PM

Wallet A)
Most of your coins should be in a Cold Wallet Encrypted Backups (Three or more backups should be fine, for example 3 USBs, in worst case if your two copies are damaged you still have the third).
The password should be written down CLEARLY on a piece of paper and "hide" it. This wallet should NOT exist on the harddisk nor touch Internet, until you want to send coins from this wallet at any time in the future.
Amount ~70%

Wallet B)
Some of your coins are in a wallet on a computer B connected to Internet if you like to, encrypted. I do run DigiByte Core wallet always on for full node and Mining, always on.
Amount ~10%

Some of your coins are in a wallet on a computer C connected to Internet if you like to, encrypted. I do run full node, connecting to Network one or twice a week to update to the blockchain.
Amount ~10%

Wallet D)
Some of the coins are in the Mobile Wallet on your phone. The amount should be that much you a comfortable with. At the end of the day the goal of DigiByte is that everyone can use a common device to handle daily business needs. So I think it's good practice for us to begin to do that with a small amount of coins. You can DigiByteTip, donations, etc. To spread usage of DigiByte I think we all need to get our phone to do the work.
Amount ~5%

Wallet E)

If you buy more, you can send from the exchange to the different wallets with similar percentage above.
This approach should work fine independently of coin-type, not only for DigiByte.

Problem is that i only have 1 pc.
And i don't mine coins so i don't see the point of keeping a wallet on a pc thats conected to the internet.
Bluestreet
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:09:04 PM

Wallet A)
Amount ~70%

Wallet B)
Amount ~10%

Amount ~10%

Wallet D)
Amount ~5%

Wallet E)

You have my thumb of approval for this post. Also rename your wallet.dat files to something else for your backup. I go the extra mile and winrar with password protection.
Verias

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:13:47 PM

You have my thumb of approval for this post. Also rename your wallet.dat files to something else for your backup. I go the extra mile and winrar with password protection.
thats a good idea , thx !
although i would like a third place to store my coins. a second ofline wallet with USB would be possible i think.
i'm gone keep some coins on my phone in the future, but not milions of coins cause it's always conected to the internet.
so thats not a long term  storage ..
Bluestreet
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:17:02 PM

although i would like a third place to store my coins. a second ofline wallet with USB would be possible i think.
i'm gone keep some coins on my phone in the future, but not milions of coins cause it's always conected to the internet.

My rule of thumb is just keep the amount of coins you think you will use for the day or week on your phone.
Verias

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:25:50 PM

My rule of thumb is just keep the amount of coins you think you will use for the day or week on your phone.

maybe start thinking of  paper wallet for third ofline wallet,
like http://cryptocards.co/

but i never used a paper wallet, maybe its better to buy more USB and create another wallet like that.
Bluestreet
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:28:59 PM

maybe start thinking of  paper wallet for third ofline wallet,
like http://cryptocards.co/

but i never used a paper wallet, maybe its better to buy more USB and create another wallet like that.

I have 3 USB sticks which I have my wallets on. To access the USB you need to put in password, then different winrar passwords for each of the wallets.
Congrats on getting in Digibyte. It's one of two of my favourite coins Smiley
Timon2010

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:36:16 PM

Well, there are so many combinations one can do to secure their coins.

Totally 90% in Cold wallet.

7% on your harddrive on a computer.

3% on your phone. If 5% or 10% means millions for you then I'd say Gratz Wink
I thought it was more like in the range of 5 % = 100 000 coins.  Wink

My suggestion is never keep too much on exchanges. Alot of people had lost their BTCs that way before.
With DigiBytes, you have even better reason (compare to Bitcoin) to not keep many of your coins on exchanges. Because the transaction is so fast, you just send them there when you need them, and be able to trade within 5 mins.

I haven't used paperwallet before. So I don't have any comment on that matter.
USBs are so cheap to get.

Verias

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:40:27 PM

I thought it was more like in the range of 5 % = 100 000 coins.  Wink

My suggestion is never keep too much on exchanges. Alot of people had lost their BTCs that way before.
With DigiBytes, you have even better reason (compare to Bitcoin) to not keep many of your coins on exchanges. Because the transaction is so fast, you just send them there when you need them, and be able to trade within 5 mins.

thx , just started trading a few months ago and most of my coins are still on exchange.
will start taking my long term investments ofline.

just not sure about 90% of my dgb in 1 cold storage wallet with 2 backups.
Always worried  what if it gets stolen or  house burns down , u never know.

anyway thx for the tips.
will put them to good use!
Timon2010

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:19:32 PM

I thought it was more like in the range of 5 % = 100 000 coins.  Wink

thx , just started trading a few months ago and most of my coins are still on exchange.
will start taking my long term investments ofline.

just not sure about 90% of my dgb in 1 cold storage wallet with 2 backups.
Always worried  what if it gets stolen or  house burns down , u never know.

anyway thx for the tips.
will put them to good use!

True. This might be better.
How about 50% in one cold wallet, and 40% in another cold wallet? Or different USBs with different wallets?
We all know that too few wallets means security risk (all in one basket) and too many backups means management problem so one has to find a middleway.
Recomend to use more than two backups. In worrying of "house burn", you can give one backup to someone you really trust. You can also have one backup at work, renaming the file to something else as Bluestreet recommended should be a must.

BTW, the chance or risk to get stolen is much higher at online exchanges than someone going to your home to steal your USB. Even if that happens the thief must know the password phrase to decrypt the file.

Regards and good luck!
nanoprobe
Legendary

Activity: 980

Traveling in subspace

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:47:57 PM

WARNING
So be advised!

Won't do the hacker much good if the wallet was encrypted. (Since the coins are gone it probably wasn't or the wallet password was on the victims' computer. VERY BAD IDEA) Strong passwords usually thwart hackers. They look for weak ones and won't waste much time with on strong ones.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.
Never look back, something might be gaining on you.
24hralttrade

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 09:02:33 PM

WARNING
So be advised!

Won't do the hacker much good if the wallet was encrypted. (Since the coins are gone it probably wasn't or the wallet password was on the victims' computer. VERY BAD IDEA) Strong passwords usually thwart hackers. They look for weak ones and won't waste much time with on strong ones.
With teamviewer you can watch your/the hacked computer from a remote place and you can see every word you type.  There is a security bug in teamviewer and the hacker can get acces this way.  I'm not a tech-guy and dont know the details but just be warned!

Want to see the Future of Retail omnichannel demo store powered by Digibyte & Tofugear teams?
Please feel free to contact me if you have anything to report or you have any questions.
Sharkzz1

Activity: 880
Merit: 251

Think differently

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 10:22:11 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 11:19:16 PM by Sharkzz1

lol im so paranoid i even bought 4 usb sticks to put my wallets on it,
is it a problem if the wallet.dat has been connected to the internet before? or just get the wallet.dat offline and you're fine?
edit: btw thx 24, deleted teamviewer right away lol
Tyke
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1162

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:47:44 PM

I have sent some DGB to my DigiByte tipping account about 12 hours ago.  The balance has not updated yet.  Has anyone else had issues with this?
24hralttrade

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

I have sent some DGB to my DigiByte tipping account about 12 hours ago.  The balance has not updated yet.  Has anyone else had issues with this?
Yes same here,  they are working on a fix. Contacted Jared yesterday en they are gonna fix it.
Sorry!
Cheers

digitaldoxy

Activity: 91

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:04:48 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 02:18:09 AM by digitaldoxy

WARNING
So be advised!

With teamviewer you can watch your/the hacked computer from a remote place and you can see every word you type.  There is a security bug in teamviewer and the hacker can get acces this way.  I'm not a tech-guy and dont know the details but just be warned!

It's not a bug in the legitimate version, I believe the problem is some people are downloading a version from somewhere other than the supplier (I have no idea why, it's free for personal use) and there is a malware .dll file in those versions. This is allowing rogue users to run as a Trojan within TeamViewer. I use it to get to my work PC's from home as they are on a static IP which is whitelisted on our datacenter servers and it's actually very secure even for an enterprise level I.T. Company (I run it over a VPN for extra security)

Couple of things I've noticed over the years that might help people avoid this happening to them:

1. Don't install torrented software on your PC unless you've scanned it and scanned it again (obvious). Even then you should sandbox it if you HAVE to go down this path.

2. When searching for a piece of software on Google etc. Make sure you check the URL you're clicking/going to. Sometimes malware distributors will pay for Adwords on Google or blackhat their spam sites to the top of Google for a short period so that their site comes up first for various search terms. I've watched over many peoples shoulders as they blindly take the first link that shows up and click download.

3. Check your BIOS settings for a "Wake on lan" function. Unless you actually use it, disable this feature. It allows someone who knows your PC's MAC address to turn on your computer remotely. While it usually only works from inside your local network, there are ways to get around this. First the "hacker" finds out your MAC through a trojan hidden in your gammy software version, then waits for a time when you're likely asleep in your locality, then turns on your PC, has his way with it, and leaves with no trace but a slight stickyness all over your keyboard and an empty bitwallet on your desktop...
Pages: « 1 ... 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 [939] 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 ... 1832 »
  Print  

Jump to: