Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange accidentally sent 512 bitcoins after coding error  (Read 35430 times)
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 06:12:46 AM

IMHO, I'd give them all back.  I deal with people who make mistakes all the time.

BUT...   I would ask for 10% tip for returning it....that would be reasonable me thinks.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stalin-chan

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 06:18:09 AM

IMHO, I'd give them all back.  I deal with people who make mistakes all the time.

BUT...   I would ask for 10% tip for returning it....that would be reasonable me thinks.

This is the fair solution,
Honestly the person running the exchange has no expectation of ever getting his coins back, the point of bitcoins is currency free from regulation.
In all reality no mistake was made here, the computer gave out the amount of coins it gave out; those coins now belong to the person who received them. If the guy doesn't want to give them back there is 0 recourse for you to get them back, you should be paying him for his trouble.

Bitcoins are not designed to account for someone giving out more coins then they meant to, life is tough.
hightax

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 07:23:09 AM

You all look like you are pretty intelligent people. 

This is where you went wrong.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:36:09 AM

One thing I noticed.  Not one person here has questioned why the code has failed repeatedly and sent people bitcoins OR intersangos integrity.  Does this happen to anyone else, to any other exchange?  Maybe once, but not over and over, right?  Is Patrick really that bad of a coder?  That raises an eyebrow for me.  I don't know about you guys.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg498999#msg498999
This code was thoroughly tested using testnet.
The issue was with the server configuration, the database user did not have the proper permissions and the code failed in an unexpected way.
I have now changed to relevant code such that any failure of any kind will stop the script cold.

If you wish to learn more specific details, there's #bitcoinconsultancy on Freenode IRC network.

And we are just supposed to believe everything that intersango says, without questioning it?  That is pretty one sided, if you ask me.  How do you know he is not lying?  Why are you doing so much research for one side, and not other?

And you guys want to talk about a bitcoin justice system?  I sure hope people like you are not in any way associated with that.   You are completely, unfair.  You have to listen to BOTH sides of a story.  Not just one, to be fair.
More or less, this is a thread where everyone insult the guy who has the 512 bitcoins, no matter what, and nothing more. If you expect clever replies or justice or not-biased things well go elsewhere, this is definitely the wrong place

Stalin-chan

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:42:13 AM

???No I totally side with the guy who now is in possession of the 512 coins. Huh
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:44:40 AM

You are in the wrong thread here. Here people are even discussing how to assassinate the CRIMINAL (they already decided he is a criminal)

indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:47:07 AM

You are in the wrong thread here. Here people are even discussing how to assassinate the CRIMINAL (they already decided he is a criminal)

Uhm he confessed to an act that is criminal in the territorial jurisdiction he resides in. He decided he was a criminal. Most happen to agree.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:48:25 AM

Protip: maybe it's a FAKE

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:59:42 AM

Uhm he confessed to an act that is criminal in the territorial jurisdiction he resides in. He decided he was a criminal. Most happen to agree.

If I were Intersango and I wanted to scam 512 BTC, I would do it as follows.

1.)  Abuse a known bug and claim it was unknown.  This is unverifiable.
2.)  Act as both sender and receiver of BTC and play defense for both sides well.  This IS verifiable, so I'd hafta be good to make sure I don't eff it up.  I'd have 2 computers side by side, 1 using my regular IP address and the other connected to TOR.  I would go onto a chat and argue and accuse myself of lying, ignoring an error/stealing, and make it look like a genuine argument.
3.)  Cash out BTC for USD and profit.
4.)  Go onto the forum and continue the heated exchange for multiple purposes:  1.)  To realistically make it appear as though this is a legitimate issue that is worth the forum's attention  2.)  To create a false dichotmoy:  Either it was my stupid mistake, or some lucky receiver is a criminal   3.)  Gauge forum users' concerns and use their feedback to identify any holes in my plan that i missed  4.)  Buy time to fix these holes.
5.)  Laugh.
Stalin-chan

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 09:39:01 AM

The only crime done here is a crime against good code.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 09:58:37 AM

The only crime done here is a crime against good code.
lol, PHP in itself is a crime against good code

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 12:15:28 PM

Citation needed...
ClownCoins

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 01:17:35 PM

Citation needed...

You won't get one; all you'll ever get is elitist hyperbole - more often than not from someone who read it somewhere else.

The use of English on this forum is somewhat analogous. The language does not itself necessitate the production of incomprehensible drivel, but it certainly allows it.
Blackout

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 01:54:52 PM

Wasn't that supposedly figured out and the issue is done with? I don't see Bruce on here organizing anything anymore.

Post the log, and post the takers personal details.  That is the only recourse and some of these so called 'nerds' can cause some serious havok if the want to.  Need I mention lulz?  They did quite amazing things and accepted bitcoin donations.

lulz has what to do with this forum again?

Bitcoin was lulz primary form of payment.... and this is a _________ forum? Come on smarty pants you can figure out the answer!  Good troll! Good little troll!  Now go away.

Jeeze...

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
Gerken

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 02:03:09 PM

That's a stretch but if you makes you feel important knock yourself out. 

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 02:10:48 PM

If I were Intersango and I wanted to scam 512 BTC, I would do it as follows.

1.)  Abuse a known bug and claim it was unknown.  This is unverifiable.
2.)  Act as both sender and receiver of BTC and play defense for both sides well.  This IS verifiable, so I'd hafta be good to make sure I don't eff it up.  I'd have 2 computers side by side, 1 using my regular IP address and the other connected to TOR.  I would go onto a chat and argue and accuse myself of lying, ignoring an error/stealing, and make it look like a genuine argument.
3.)  Cash out BTC for USD and profit.
4.)  Go onto the forum and continue the heated exchange for multiple purposes:  1.)  To realistically make it appear as though this is a legitimate issue that is worth the forum's attention  2.)  To create a false dichotmoy:  Either it was my stupid mistake, or some lucky receiver is a criminal   3.)  Gauge forum users' concerns and use their feedback to identify any holes in my plan that i missed  4.)  Buy time to fix these holes.
5.)  Laugh.

I don't understand. Step 3.) is not really profit since it's his own BTC he's exchanging for USD, so no profit.

What's to gain from such play?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Blackout

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 04:12:09 PM

Never said anything about feeling important.  Simply stated that the log shows the Davis person admitting guilt and being a jackass and that a good course of action would just be to release his info so no one ever does any trading with him again at minimum and at maximum someone might do something not so nice.  I just do think the tone of this thread, that it's cool that he did what he did and you're f&^cked because you use bitcoins is cool on any level and shouldn't be encouraged - legal argument or not.

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

Gerken

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 04:47:39 PM

Never said anything about feeling important.  Simply stated that the log shows the Davis person admitting guilt and being a jackass and that a good course of action would just be to release his info so no one ever does any trading with him again at minimum and at maximum someone might do something not so nice.  I just do think the tone of this thread, that it's cool that he did what he did and you're f&^cked because you use bitcoins is cool on any level and shouldn't be encouraged - legal argument or not.

Yes release his information, and nobody will ever trade with him again, with a currency designed to be anonymous.  That'll be effective.  Get a grip.

Blackout

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 05:24:50 PM

The currency is NOT totally anonymous unless certain steps are taken you connect your reputation to an identify on almost all the current ways of trading bitcoin.  With certain tumblers and what not you can achieve almost total anonymity but not absolute because of the traceable nature of transactions.  It is you who are clueless if you think bitcoin is completely anon.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 05:33:30 PM

Anonymous, but the transaction is and will be recorded forever in the blockchain.

Easier to prove that someone received a bitcoin transaction than proving that someone received a cash transaction.

Even after he actually spent the Bitcoin, as long as he keeps his wakket, any seizure of his computer would show that he was indeed the recipient of said transaction. Try to do that with spent cash...

One must also realize that Gerken is a SA troll and knows nothing about Bitcoin but thinks he knows everything and only he is right.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: